Workplace Solutions Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Halloween Amazon Cash Back Offer Transparent Transparent Transparent  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now 20% off select baby clothing, gear, and more
Profile for J. Chambers > Reviews

Browse

J. Chambers' Profile

Customer Reviews: 4576
Top Reviewer Ranking: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Chambers RSS Feed (Georgia, United States)
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich
The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic book for students of World War II in Europe, July 6, 2016
I first read The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich in high school about 3-4 years after it was published. My best friend had read it, and he pushed his copy on me, urging me to read it too, which I did. My second reading was recently. With more than fifty years between readings, the book came across very differently this time. Since the book was published in 1960, there have been hundreds of documentary and docudrama films made about the rise of Hitler and the Nazi Party, the war in Europe, and the downfall of Germany. There have also been hundreds of books on the subject, many of which I've read. So on my second reading, there wasn't much of the material that I wasn't already fairly familiar with. But in 1960 when the book was published, there wasn't a lot of in-depth material on Germany and the Third Reich. Shirer did a bang-up job of documenting the rise of Hitler and the Nazis from his firsthand view, the road to war, early victories, and the eventual downfall due to the Soviets turning the tide of war in the east, and American and British troops closing the noose from the west.

The book was an instant bestseller in 1960, and now, 56 years later, it's still a big seller. Don't be put off by the book's length, it's well worth reading.

Office Depot Cleaning Duster, 10 Oz., OD10152
Office Depot Cleaning Duster, 10 Oz., OD10152
Offered by Office Depot, Inc.
Price: $6.99
2 used & new from $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable for so many purposes, July 5, 2016
I've used this product before, and I needed to buy another can. When I saw that the price was exactly the same at Amazon as it was at Office Depot, I ordered it from Amazon and saved the time and the cost of driving ten miles roundtrip.

The compressed air is indispensable for cleaning keyboards, and it's also very helpful for blowing dust off my optics.

Clorox Bleach Pen, 4 Count
Clorox Bleach Pen, 4 Count
Price: $10.96
3 used & new from $10.96

5.0 out of 5 stars No more stains!, July 5, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 4:34 Mins

My wife and I have used other bleach pens to treat stains before with mixed results. The Clorox bleach pens, however, gave very good results for us, as good or better than other brands we've used. In the accompanying video, we deliberately stained a white T-shirt with ketchup, cherry juice, and blood - stains that are notoriously difficult to remove. We then treated the stains with the bleach pen, followed by machine washing the shirt. As you'll see in the video, not only were the treated parts of the stains removed, the bleach was close enough in contact with the untreated parts of the stains that the entire stains were removed.

We're completely sold on the effectiveness of the Clorox bleach pens. It's best to treat stains immediately, but in another test on a dried-in stain, the bleach pen was equally effective.

NITECORE i4 (New 2014 version) Intellicharge universal smart battery Charger For Li-ion / IMR / Ni-MH/ Ni-Cd 26650 22650 18650 18490 18350 17670 17500 17335 16340 RCR123 14500 10440 AA AAA AAAA C types, with EdisonBright battery carry case

5.0 out of 5 stars Dependable and fast, July 4, 2016
I use the Nitecore i4 charger for recharging 18650 and 16340 Li-ion batteries. It's been very dependable, it recharges my batteries quickly, and I like being able to recharge up to four batteries at a time.

The charger includes an instruction sheet, and as simple as the charger appears to be, it's a good idea to read this sheet for a few caveats you should know before using the charger.

Carebag Commode Liners with Super Absorbent Pad, 20 bags
Carebag Commode Liners with Super Absorbent Pad, 20 bags
Price: $18.95
26 used & new from $18.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Very highly recommended for anyone who uses a portable commode, July 4, 2016
Length:: 3:34 Mins

A few months ago, as a result of spinal nerve damage, I was confined to a wheelchair for a few months. I had no leg strength at all, and since my wheelchair would not fit in our bathroom, we set a portable commode outside the bathroom for me to use. There were a few times when I could not make it that far, so we got a second portable commode for the room where the TV and my computer are located. My wife emptied the commode(s) 1-2 times a day and cleaned them out. To make a messy job a little easier, she filled the commodes with a little water each morning, but cleaning them was still a nasty, smelly job.

I'm coming up on another surgery, and I know I'll need the portable commodes again, so my wife was especially interested in trying the commode liners. We did an experiment with one of the liners, and we were amazed to see how much liquid the pad can absorb (see my accompanying video). With the liner, there's no messy job of cleaning smelly poop from the commode, and the pad does a fantastic job of absorbing urine. Needless to say, my wife is very happy about that.

Very highly recommended for anyone who uses a portable commode.

The commode liners were provided to me for evaluation. I did not promise to post a review, but I stated that if I did review the product, it would be honest and unbiased.

OtterBox SYMMETRY SERIES Case for Samsung Galaxy S7 - Retail Packaging - BLACK
OtterBox SYMMETRY SERIES Case for Samsung Galaxy S7 - Retail Packaging - BLACK
Price: $19.04
15 used & new from $11.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Good protection in a lightweight case, July 3, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've used OtterBox Defender and Commuter cases before, and I gave them very high marks for protection, but the Defender is a big three-piece case that's overkill for what I need. The Commuter case is a lighter two-piece case that I liked, but it was a bit annoying putting it on and taking it off every time I inserted my phone into my Samsung Gear VR headset. What I was really looking for was a single-piece case that gave reasonably good protection and was easy to grip. I found what I was looking for in the OtterBox Symmetry case. It's one piece that goes on or off in a few seconds, it's lightweight (1.50 ounces), and the dual-material construction gives good protection for the phone. If I could change one thing about the Symmetry case, I would add a rubberized coating to the back of the case to make it less smooth, but that's not a deal-breaker.

Since I usually recharge my S7 with a wireless charger, I tried recharging it both with and without the case. Charging without the case was faster, but the difference was so small as to be negligible.

This is a nice case that's easy to slip into a shirt or pants pocket. It doesn't give the protection that a Defender or Commuter case gives, but for me, that's good enough.

Hanover Street
Hanover Street
DVD
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Love and war, July 3, 2016
This review is from: Hanover Street (Amazon Video)
Like "Yanks," another World War II film released in 1979, Hanover Street is about a wartime romance between an American man and an English woman. This time it's Harrison Ford as a B-25 bomber pilot and Lesley-Anne Down is the married woman he meets in London during a bombing raid. Unaware that she's married, Ford flies her husband (Christopher Plummer), a British intelligence officer, over occupied France where he plans to parachute in and perform a very dangerous mission. When the B-25 is hit by antiaircraft fire, Ford is forced to jump too, then joins Christopher Plummer on his mission.

What I liked:
* There were five real B-25 Mitchell bombers used in filming. It was fun seeing these old warbirds in action.
* Seeing the young Harrison Ford, fresh off of Star Wars.
* A great score with haunting theme music by John Barry.

What I didn't like:
* The extremely long odds that Harrison Ford would be flying Lesley-Anne Down's husband on his mission. But it was a clever plot device that made the film work.
* It was too easy for Ford and Plummer to just walk into Gestapo headquarters in Lyon without being challenged.
* In real life, no B-25 units were stationed in England during the war.

Trivia: Look for John Ratzenberger (later to play Cliff Clavin in Cheers) as one of Harrison Ford's crewmen. He also had a small role in "Yanks."

Overall, I enjoyed the film, but I preferred "Yanks" as the better of the two 1979 WWII movies.

EYECEDAR Metal Half-Rim Frames Reading Glasses Men Spring Hinges Shine Gold Include Iron Case Cleaning Cloth With a Screwdriver Readers Glasses +2.50
Offered by Eyecedar
Price: $15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine reading glasses for both men and women, July 2, 2016
If you use reading glasses, you know how it works - you leave reading glasses all over the house, but you still can't find them when you need them. So you can never have too many reading glasses. I like the frame and the styling of these glasses, and they appear to be as well made and sturdy as the name brand glasses I've bought in drugstores. They're also comfortable and weigh only 1.00 ounce. Optically, the glasses are spot on with my +2.50 correction strength, giving a sharp image for reading or close-up detail work. The glasses come in a non-crushable hard case with magnetic latch, a cleaning cloth, and a tiny screwdriver with both flathead and Phillips tips.

The reading glasses were provided to me for evaluation. I did not promise to post a review, but I stated that if I did review the glasses, it would be honest and unbiased.

NAVISKAUTO 9 Inch Portable DVD/CD/MP3 Player USB/SD Card Reader with 5 Hour Built-In Rechargeable Battery, 270° Swivel Screen, 3m AC/DC Adapter and Customized Car Headrest Mount Case-Black
Offered by Sokesi
Price: $95.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A full-featured multimedia player, July 2, 2016
Length:: 6:30 Mins

I'll acknowledge that I've only owned one portable DVD player, but it was a name brand player that I eventually gave to my sister when her husband had a long rehab period after surgery. After a while, I told her to keep it, since my wife and I were streaming most movies by then. (But we miss the "special features" on DVDs.) But I know many people still buy or rent DVDs, and for those folks, I recommend the Naviskauto DVD player. It's loaded with features, and besides playing DVDs, it plays CDs, and it plays audio directly from USB drives and SD memory cards. The device can also be used as a DVD player with the output going to a TV set. The player can run from its built-in battery, from an AC adapter, or from a vehicle's 12-volt DC power port (and the power cable is long enough to reach the back seat). The player comes with a remote control (a CR2025 Lithium battery is included) so you can control the player from a distance, although realistically, with the player's 9" (diagonal) display, most viewers will be close enough to operate the controls on the player itself. The 800x480 TFT (thin-film-transistor) display doesn't have the resolution of a comparably sized tablet, but it's very watchable with good color saturation and contrast, and it has a wide viewing angle both horizontally and vertically. The 2600mAh Li-ion battery is claimed to last up to five hours. In my own test playing DVDs, the fully charged battery lasted 4:30 before dying. For playing a music CD with the display turned off, the battery should last substantially longer. After the test, I recharged the battery with the dual voltage 12V/1.5A AC charger.

The player has one indispensable feature: in the setup, you can select "Last Memory," where the player will pick up where you left a movie or a music CD. You can choose to show subtitles if you like. You can speed up the player up to 32X, both forward and reverse. You can cycle through zoom ratios from 1/4X to 4X. And you can go to slow motion from 1/2X to 1/16X. The setup has tons of options in the general settings, audio settings, and video settings. About the speaker volume: the maximum volume varied quite a bit from DVD to DVD. With some DVDs, the maximum volume was plenty loud enough; with others, it wasn't loud enough to be heard clearly over road noise if you're watching a movie while in a car. For these times, a set of earphones or an auxiliary speaker will come in handy. The headrest mount case that's included is a nice touch, making it easy to support the player in position for the backseat munchkins to watch their favorite videos.

In addition to playing DVDs, the device will play CDs. This function works very well, as I show in the accompanying video. You can also play music or other audio from a USB memory stick or an SD card. To extend the battery life while playing music, you can turn off the display.

This is a nice DVD/CD/MP3 player. Although it's loaded with features and setup options, it's ready to play right out of the box. In fact, after taking it out of the box, the controls are intuitive enough that I had a DVD playing without even opening the user manual.

The DVD player was provided to me for evaluation. I did not promise to post a review, but I stated that if I did review the product, it would be an honest, unbiased review.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 3, 2016 4:32 PM PDT

Dowan 17oz Porcelain Soup Bowls/Cereal Bowl Set, 5.5 Inch, FDA Approved&Round +Square, Set of 4
Offered by Dowan life
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice bowls for cereal, soup, ice cream, and other foods, July 1, 2016
I often do video reviews for products, but in this case, what would I show? The uniquely shaped bowls are all-white porcelain with no adornment of any kind, which means they go well with any tableware. I'm not planning to intentionally do a drop test, but the bowls arrived intact after being shipped more than 300 miles by the USPS, so they're not very fragile. The bowls have a solid feel to them. I weighed them, and they each weighed 12.00±0.05 ounces.

Seventeen ounces is a good size for cereal, soup, ice cream, salads, and other foods. I also found that if you use those reusable stretchable silicone lids, the bowls can be used for storing leftovers without resorting to plastic wrap.

These are nice bowls that my wife and I are looking forward to using for years to come.

The bowls were provided to me for evaluation. I did not promise to post a review, but I stated that if I did review the product, it would be an honest, unbiased review.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30