Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ryley Walker Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now
Profile for Pete W. Letheby > Reviews

Browse

Pete W. Letheby's Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Pete W. Letheby RSS Feed (Grand Island, NE USA)

Silent Spring
Silent Spring
by Linda J. Lear
Price: $11.20
420 used & new from $2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars DDT case study a "fraud", March 20, 2006
This review is from: Silent Spring (Paperback)
It's been several years since I've read "Silent Spring," one of the most significant environmental books ever written, but I must respond to the posting by "seem," which is titled "murderous, over the top propaganda" (I correctly your misspelling of the last word): His recommendation to read "DDT: A Case Study in Scientific Fraud" was put out by the Heartland Institute and is, in itself, a "fraud." The Heartland Institute is one of the most pro-chemical, pro-industry, anti-environmental and right-wing organizations around. Nothing they put out should be believed for a second.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2015 10:06 AM PDT

Rachel Carson: Witness for Nature
Rachel Carson: Witness for Nature
by Linda J. Lear
55 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks for the reminders, March 20, 2006
An absolutely fabulous book on an environmental pioneer, "Witness for Nature" offers up three very important reminders: (1) We must never forget the prophetic contribution of Rachel Carson; (2) we must carry on her bold and visionary mission, never backing down from, as the book described them, the "powerful adversaries" of the chemical industry, corporate agriculture and others that seek to impose their technological will on the rest of us; and (3) we must treasure every day we have left and take the time to cherish our gifts in the natural world. I only wish Rachel Carson had lived to be 100 so she could have carried on her ecological vision for many more decades.

They Marched Into Sunlight: War and Peace Vietnam and America October 1967
They Marched Into Sunlight: War and Peace Vietnam and America October 1967
by David Maraniss
212 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Vietnam literary masterpiece!, January 5, 2005
I just finished David Maraniss' book, and I must admit my eyes moistened and my gut wrenched after reading his epilogue. This is a 500+-page book that gets more riveting the farther you get in. I have read several Vietnam War era books, and this might be the best. The only other one I've read that's in its league is Philip Caputo's "A Rumor of War." Take the time to read this!

Dominion: The Power of Man, the Suffering of Animals, and the Call to Mercy
Dominion: The Power of Man, the Suffering of Animals, and the Call to Mercy
by Matthew Scully
86 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read, but ..., September 5, 2003
I had been anticipating this book for awhile and it didn't disappoint me. It is interesting that Scully throws many of the arguments of hunters, whalers, factory farmers, etc., back in their faces in an articulate and delightful way, but I can't help but wonder how he reconciles his passionate argument for animals with a great admiration for our current president. Anyone who has followed Bush II through the first 2 1/2 years of his presidency knows the guy has wreaked havoc on the environment, including many forms of wildlife. I would be interested in how Scully defends the actions of Bush's EPA, Army Corps of Engineers, BLM and Forest Service in their inexplicable actions to weaken protections for wildlife and wildlife habitat. Offering wolves, grizzlies, bison, salmon, prairie dogs, etc., etc., their rights to adequate habitat and the freedom from being shot or harassed is somewhat equivalent to the arguments Scully made for whales and big game in Africa. Nevertheless, the book is a must-read and recommended highly. I've never liked pork all that much -- I think this book seals the deal on never eating it again.

Christmas Abundance: a Simple Guide To Discovering The True Meaning Of Christmas
by Candy Paull
47 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Puts Christmas in perspective, December 13, 2000
I picked up this little book at a church book sale to contribute funds for a youth group. It may have been one of my best buys of the year, and I buy a lot of books. This book puts Christmas in perspective, offers ideas to ease the holiday stress and focuses on the simple wonders of the season. I plan on reading it every year around Thanksgiving to help get me in the proper frame of mind for a holiday season that once totally stressed me out.

The Western Range Revisited: Removing Livestock from Public Lands to Conserve Native Biodiversity (Legal History of North America Series)
by Debra L. Donahue
Price: $24.95
40 used & new from $2.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Well researched, a strong argument, November 16, 2000
Donahue has certainly done her research. In a few places, the book becomes a slightly difficult read because of all the attributions, references to different legislation, etc., but generally it is a very strong argument against the destructive nature of grazing on arid and semi-arid federal lands. Given the growing public sentiment for preserving and restoring biodiversity and wildlife habitat, I suspect Donahue's book will emerge as a breakthrough in exposing the economic fallacy of public land grazing.