Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lindsey Stirling Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now
Profile for Mia Clair > Reviews

Browse

Mia Clair's Profile

Customer Reviews: 31

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mia Clair RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Mother Goose
Mother Goose
by Gyo Fujikawa
Price: $9.95
112 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A very special book, so glad it is in print!, August 4, 2012
This review is from: Mother Goose (Hardcover)
"Mother Goose" with illustrations by Gyo Fujikawa was my favorite book as a child. I would sit for hours just looking through the pages at all of the beautiful, intricate illustrations. I was so pleased to see that this item is in print, and it is such a joy to be able to share this special book with my children.

I plan on purchasing this item again in the future to give as a baby gift. It is not to be missed, and should be a part of every child's library.

Who Switched Off My Brain?  Revised: Controlling Toxic Thoughts and Emotions
Who Switched Off My Brain? Revised: Controlling Toxic Thoughts and Emotions
by Dr. Caroline Leaf
76 used & new from $7.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Very insightful,spiritual and scientific book on how your thoughts affect your physical health, August 4, 2012
This book "Who Switched Off My Brain" is a very insightful, spiritual and scientific book on how your thoughts and emotions can affect your physical health. Dr. Leaf writes about the scientific reasons for why it is so important to detoxify your inner thoughts, and also references scripture passages that back up her scientific research. She discusses the importance in confronting repressed anger, unforgiveness and any other form of toxic thinking. She also discusses the importance of expressing emotions appropriately in a safe, non-judgemental environment. It is important "to acknowlege your feelings, face them, and deal with them in a positive way as soon as you can...adopt a policy of admit it, quit it and beat it." Another interesting topic she addresses is the importance of integrity, "What you do and say on the outside must reflect what you think on the inside." She goes on to discuss the "Dirty Dozen", twelve areas of toxic thinking that need to be addressed, and at the end of each chapter, she offers a way to do a "Brain Sweep" to clear your mind of these toxic issues by gathering information, reflecting, journaling, revisiting, and reaching beyond the negative thought patterns.

Words cannot express how much this book has helped me. I am in a stage of my life where I have some incredibly amazing things happening in my life at the same time as some very incredibly challenging situations. I was looking for a way to really be present in the good moments, and not let thoughts of the challenging situations put a damper on my happiness. This book has been an answer to a prayer, and has really provided me with the tools I need to clear my mind of the toxic thoughts and emotions, and reach beyond them to what is next. I am looking forward to a contented, healthy future!

I HIGHLY recommend this book. It is extremely informative, thought-provoking, and life-changing. My heavily highlighted copy is sitting on my nightstand, and I have been referring to it quite regularly. Thank you Dr. Leaf for really making a difference in my life though your wonderful book!!

Lullaby
Lullaby
Offered by skyvo-direct-usa
Price: $10.06
140 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, soothing lullabies for children and adults, June 24, 2012
This review is from: Lullaby (Audio CD)
This CD contains beautiful soothing lullabies that are enjoyable for children and adults. Jewel has such a sweet, uniquely expressive voice in all of these songs, she really sings like an angel. Some of my favoite songs in the collection are "The Cowboy's Lament" in which she yodels, and "Gloria" which has beautiful harmonies, but the songs are all consistently good. Even if I did not have children, I would love this music just as much. I plan on purchasing more copies of this CD in the future as Baby Shower/New Baby gifts. If you are looking for music that both you and your children will love, this is the album for you!!

A Paper Life
A Paper Life
by Tatum O'Neal
257 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fame isn't everything, July 12, 2011
This review is from: A Paper Life (Hardcover)
In this candid book, "A Paper Life", film star Tatum O'Neal tells of her life from birth through age 41. She discusses the ups-and-downs in her relationships with her father, Ryan O'Neal and her mother, actress Joanna Moore, her film career and Academy Award win as a child, her marriage and subsequent divorce from tennis star John McEnroe, her deep love for her children, and her struggles with addiction.

There was a pervasive sense of Tatum's lonliness throughout this book, and it left me wondering if that feeling is what is at the heart of her addictions. She was very forthcoming in her stories of her struggles with drugs, and I give her alot of credit for being able to work through them, and really be there for her children in a way that her parents could not be there for her (her father, due to his film career, anger issues, and his relationship with Farrah Fawcett, and her mother, due to her own struggles with addiction.) I hope that by looking back, Tatum was able to gain insight and closure into the painful events in her past, and move on to the next chapter of her life story in a positive way. I am looking forward to reading her next book "Found", and I hope that she is able to follow a path of forgiveness and healing, and that she and her father are able to mend their broken relationship.

The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating
The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating
by Elisabeth Tova Bailey
Price: $14.06
148 used & new from $5.43

5.0 out of 5 stars If life mattered to the snail and the snail mattered to me, it meant something in my life mattered, so I kept on., July 3, 2011
Elisabeth Tova Bailey's book, "The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating" tells of a period during the author's life in which she contracted a mysterious illness that kept her bedridden, and how a common woodland snail became her constant companion. Focusing her attention on the snail during the darkest days of her illness really helped in her healing process, and made her feel as if she was not alone in the world. She states, "If life mattered to the snail and the snail mattered to me, it meant something in my life mattered, so I kept on."

The author's spirit and love of life shine through the pages, and her observations and musings on the similiarities between her situation, and that of the snails are quite interesting and thought-provoking. This book is unique in that it is not just a memoir or an observational piece, but is also an informational work on the anatomy, mating habits, and survival tactics of the snail. I found this work to be absolutely enthralling, and could not put it down!

Bailey's quiet little gem of a book is so inspiring, and should not be missed.

One from the Hart
One from the Hart
by Stefanie Powers
142 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars "Our Lives Are A Reflection Of The Love We Have Given And The Love We Have Accepted", February 27, 2011
This review is from: One from the Hart (Hardcover)
This book, One from the Hart, is the memoir of Stefanie Powers, best known for her portrayal of Jennifer Hart on the television series Hart to Hart. This book chronicles her beginnings in Hollywood, California, all the way up to the present day. When first starting her career, she was a contract player for Columbia Studios, and she was lucky to have the opportunity to work with some of the legendary greats, including Lana Turner, John Wayne, and Talulluah Bankhead. She also did television work, including the starring role in The Girl From U.N.C.L.E. She was married for a time to the actor Gary Lockwood, then, her life changed forever, when newly single,she met screen legend William Holden. They instantly felt a mutual attraction, but Stefanie was clear to state that she was "carried away by the man, not the movie star. He came from a world in which people just seemed to be more interesting, more tasteful, more sophisticated, more fun, more...more everything!" Stefanie had a life-long interest in travel, something that she and Bill shared, and he took her on many adventures, including travels to the South Pacific, Africa and China. Bill had a great deal of interests outside of the acting world including a love of Primitive Art and Wildlife Conservation. However, he also had a dark side, including struggles with alcohol and depression, which are discussed here as well. Stefanie also shares stories of her work on the series Hart to Hart, and of her long term work relationship with Robert Wagner. Her story continues on after the passing of William Holden and the cancellation of Hart to Hart, and she discusses her love relationships, her tireless charity work for the William Holden Wildlife Foundation, and also the very special bond she shared with her Mother.

I have to admit, I initially purchased this book because I have always been a fan of William Holden, and I wanted to read of Stefanie's relationship with him, and of the work he did for Wildlife Conservation in Africa. This book wound up being so much more to me. I am now a real fan of Stefanie Powers. She is a person of true class, inner strength, talent, and most of all, love. I was very touched by the love that Stefanie had for Bill, and how she wrote that, "...the legacy he left me is my greatest treasure. My devotion to his memory is not clouded by denial but seen in the clear light of day, for the great man he was, and for what he passed on to me." She really loved Bill for who he was, and totally accepted him. What an incredible gift to know this kind of love! She also had a very special relationship with her Mother, and it was very heartwarming to read of the really wonderful and unique relationship these two women shared. The book is very conversational in tone, and while reading this, I felt that I was sitting down with Stefanie for a long talk. I highly recommend this book, it is really wonderful and memorable. I wish Stefanie continued health and success in the next chapter of her life!

Cloud Star Soft & Chewy Buddy Biscuits Dog Treats, Roasted Chicken Flavor, 6-Ounce Pouches (Pack of 4)
Price: $15.50
12 used & new from $15.50

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT DOG TREATS!!, February 20, 2011
My dog LOVES these Buddy Biscuits!! She is a small dog (7 1/2 pounds) and alot of treats are just too big for her. These treats are very small in size and look like tiny gingerbread men. So cute!! I like that they are made in the USA, which is something I look for when purchasing an item (especially food of any kind!!). I purchased these treats once just to try them, and I am so pleased by my dog's reaction to them that I will be purchasing them from now on. Overall, highly recommended!!!

La's Orchestra Saves the World: A Novel
La's Orchestra Saves the World: A Novel
by Alexander McCall Smith
Price: $23.95
153 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A Big Life Led In An Out-Of-The Way Place, November 2, 2010
This is the quiet and gentle story of La (short for Lavender). She has moved from London to the country in 1939 after she finds out her marriage is over, "to remove herself from the physical space that her marriage occupied" and to forget about her previous life. Not long after, war is declared, and all citizens are called upon to do their part to support the war effort. La volunteers to assist with the care of chickens on a farm, and is also asked to organize an orchestra as a morale booster for troops and citizens alike. It is through La's work on the farm that she meets Feliks, a Polish airman who was badly hurt in battle, and lost the use of one eye. La and Feliks develop a friendship, and he is eventually encouraged to join the orchestra. After the hurt that La's heart has been through, will she be open to finding love again?

I did enjoy reading this book about La and her world. It is a gentle reminder about how even the seemingly smallest of lives can have an impact on others. I really like the way in which Alexander McCall Smith writes. His books are more character driven than plot driven, and because of this, his stories seem so real. I like to think that La did live at one time, and her orchestra really did play!! This book is highly readable and recommended!

Elizabeth Taylor's Nibbles and Me
Elizabeth Taylor's Nibbles and Me
by Elizabeth Taylor
66 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars "Believe in the magic that a friendship with animals can bring", September 19, 2010
In this book "Nibbles and Me", thirteen-year-old Elizabeth Taylor writes about her love for Nibbles, her pet chipmunk. She describes how Nibbles came into her life, and then goes on to describe various situations that involve her tiny companion. He gets into lots of trouble, but Elizabeth and her Mummie are always there to save the day! In addition to writing this book, young Elizabeth did the illustrations as well, and there are several black-and-white photos of Elizabeth and Nibbles throughout.

Finding this book was such a great surprise for me, as I had no idea that it even existed. The back flap of the book states that it was originally published in 1946, and this re-issue was published in 2002. There is an introduction dated October 2002 by Elizabeth Taylor in which, when asked about reprinting this book, she states, "Well, I thought about it and decided that it couldn't do anybody any harm...What it has are the growing-up observations of a thirteen-year-old girl, perhaps leaving childhood behind, but never forsaking her love of animals and the countryside." Elizabeth's love for animals absolutely shines through in this charming little book. The book is recommended for children ages 9-12, but I think adult fans of Elizabeth Taylor will enjoy this story, too. I know I certainly did!!

Water for Elephants: A Novel
Water for Elephants: A Novel
by Sara Gruen
Price: $8.89
1931 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, Detailed Account of Circus Life in the 1930's, September 12, 2010
Water For Elephants is the story of ninety-something nursing home resident Jacob Jankowski, who reflects on the time he spent with the Benzini Brothers circus when he was in his early 20's during the Depression Era. The story goes back and forth between those two periods of Jacob's life. Old Jacob is clearly frustrated by the physical limitations of his aged body, and how small his world has become while living in the nursing home. Young Jacob joins the circus due to circumstances in his home life that are beyond his control, and the story goes on to describe the events that occurred during the time that Jacob spent with the circus as the staff veterinarian.

Sara Gruen writes with such rich detail. The sights, sounds and images she portrays are all so vivid that while reading this, I felt that I was transported to another time and place. I learned so much about what circus life was like during the 1930's, and how disposable both human and animal life were to the circus owners. I was also very interested to learn that many of the happenings in the book are actually based on real-life events. The characterizations of the animals were particularly well-written in this book, too.

This book truly exceeded my expectations, and I am anxiously awaiting the release of the film!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4