Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM
Profile for J. Winn > Reviews

Browse

J. Winn's Profile

Customer Reviews: 19

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Winn RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
American Housewife: Stories
American Housewife: Stories
by Helen Ellis
Price: $16.32
110 used & new from $0.95

5.0 out of 5 stars sly, smart, subversive, January 15, 2016
I've been a Helen Ellis fan since the superlative EATING THE CHESHIRE CAT, and I was very excited to see a new book with her name on it. At first, I was disappointed to realize it was short fiction. I am not a fan of short stories, to be honest. I much prefer novels. But these stories are sly, smart, subversive, delightful---and very, very tightly written. Every word matters---and the closer you pay attention, the more the stories reward you with dark subtext and hilarious innuendo. Already a strong contender for my fave book in 2016, and ti is only January.

Making Love with Scripture: Why the Bible Doesn't Mean How You Think It Means
Making Love with Scripture: Why the Bible Doesn't Mean How You Think It Means
by Jacob D. Myers
Price: $11.10
55 used & new from $3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart, Smart-Alecky, Engaging, and Challenging, November 12, 2015
Funny and light-hearted in tone, serious in its subject matter and approach. Myers is a progressive Christian, and he made me question my approach to scripture reading and lot of my assumptions. At its heart this book is road map showing a way to approach scripture in an exciting, fully engaged, interactive way, and yet it is written in such way that the map itself is a pleasure to read. It's really ...funny. How often has that been said about a book on how to read The Bible? It uses the language of now---idiom, slang, pop culture references, even internet-speak---to light up words that are thousands of years old. I admit I found it a little shocking to have words that are ancient and revered be re-positioned and illuminated with words and images that are very current. And that itself caused me to have a fundamental questioning. If I can’t engage with scripture with the language patterns of my own time, using the kinds of humor my friends use and , then how alive is scripture in my life?

The Precious One: A Novel
The Precious One: A Novel
by Marisa De los Santos
Price: $17.67
107 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Here is your next book club pick, June 30, 2015
This is a very entertaining book, with a good plot, deeply imagined characters, complicated relationships, some surprises. It's the kind of book my neighborhood book club favors, and we picked it for July. It was a great choice. There's enough going on thematically to make for a good discussion, but plot and character matter as much as theme, so it's also a fun read. This is my favorite kind of book, and I read quite a bit, so I normally wouldn't write a review for it. (I tend to only review things that I truly love and want everyone to read). What sets this apart from some other book club picks is the writing. This is not invisible, commercial, smooth text that gets out of the way of the story. It's also not overworked or exhausting text that overshadows the story. It lives between literary and commercial, in a place that is simply a pleasure to read; the sentences are so well crafted, the images so interesting and fresh. At the same time, the authorial voice doesn't get in the way of the alternating narrators. The voices of the sisters do not bleed into each other. They each have their own distinctive speech patterns and vocabularies. Exceptional.

At the Water's Edge: A Novel
At the Water's Edge: A Novel
by Sara Gruen
Price: $19.60
260 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, April 2, 2015
Atmospheric and really beautifully written. Hard to put down!

Lay It on My Heart
Lay It on My Heart
by Angela Pneuman
Price: $8.39
140 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An Authentic Southern voice, July 16, 2014
This review is from: Lay It on My Heart (Paperback)
My Kentucky sister-in-law gave this to me, and I really enjoyed it. It was entertaining and witty, but not fluff----it had layers and interesting, dark crevices. I thought the characters were complicated and flawed and well-drawn, and I LOVED the end. I want to remember this author's name and see what she does next.

Frommer's Provence and Cote d'Azur With Your Family (Frommers With Your Family Series)
by Louise Simpson
3 used & new from $82.02

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute but out of date already, July 1, 2014
We took this to France last year, and while a lot of it was helpful, several things we picked out to go an dsee no longer existed or had changed or were gone.

How to Tell Toledo from the Night Sky: A Novel
How to Tell Toledo from the Night Sky: A Novel
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and Fantastical, July 1, 2014
In this fast paced and uber-smart follow up to Netzer's brilliant SHINE SHINE SHINE, Mysticism knocks heads (and boots) with Pragmatism as George and Irene come together. But this is no chance meeting, for George and Irene have been engineered for each other since birth...It's a crowd pleasing love story that also explores science, fate, faith, determinism, and human mortality in image based, fresh ways. I really, really love this book.

Braving the Fire: A Guide to Writing About Grief and Loss
Braving the Fire: A Guide to Writing About Grief and Loss
by Jessica Handler
Price: $13.83
64 used & new from $0.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable Guide for Writers---and a darn good book as a bonus, January 6, 2014
I really loved Handler's Memoir (INVISIBLE SISTERS). I picked this up to get a feel for her process. I got a lot more. Handler's practical, immediately relevant writing advice is combined with enough story to make this book entertaining and emotionally resonant as well as useful.

Gone Girl
Gone Girl
by Gillian Flynn
Price: $17.50
970 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A chewy, black-hearted read, thoroughly delicious, August 27, 2012
This review is from: Gone Girl (Hardcover)
This is a love it or hate it kind of book, as I think the reviews here reflect. I came down on the side of love it---it's amazing.

If you need a likeable narrator, this book is not for you. The voices of this book are consistently fascinating, but deeply, deeply, hidiously, twistedly, deliciously flawed.

If you need a tidiness in the ending, this book is not for you. There's been a lot of kerfluffle about it, but I thought the end was note perfect. It was the best kind of conclusion, by which I mean, it surprised me and at the same time I had this dawning feeling that it was inevitable. The book could not have ended so truthfully in any other way.

It reminds me of IN THE WOODS, another book whose end polarized readers, and which I loved as much as I loved this one. I can also see fans of THE SECRET HISTORY or Jennifer McMahon's DISMANTLED eating this up like candy. If you liked any of those, this is probably right up your alley.

You Look At Me Like An Emergency
You Look At Me Like An Emergency
by Cig Harvey
22 used & new from $170.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and Evocative---a visual feast, April 25, 2012
I first noticed Cig Harvey's work on the cover of a novel called GIRLS IN TRUCKS. The picture was so vivid and thick with possibility that I bought the book immediately. (It turned out to be a very good book, which was lucky, because I was so taken with the cover I didn't read a word of it before the purchase...)

In this collection, Harvey's use of of color is amazing, and every picture adds to a rich and visual story. Well worth owning.

Page: 1 | 2