Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports
Profile for G. N. Jacobs > Reviews

Browse

G. N. Jacobs' Profile

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

G. N. Jacobs RSS Feed (Los Angeles)

Page: 1 | 2
007 The Sean Connery Collection Volume 2
007 The Sean Connery Collection Volume 2
DVD ~ Sean Connery
31 used & new from $10.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, February 5, 2016
Love Bond. I'm an easy sell.

On Being a Workaholic: Using Balance and Discipline to Live a Better and More Efficient Life
Price: $16.95
30 used & new from $8.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Slightly Unbalanced Life, December 3, 2015
I'm a workaholic, too. A different sort of workaholic that also has trouble finishing certain types of work. From the outside, I look like an unfocused person, but I always think about the next project. To the detriment of slowing down sometimes to be fully happy. If a project temporarily blows up, I do something else until it comes back. But, I'm always working...on something.

I needed this book to remind me that to keep my life in perspective, I need to do more that doesn't involve my work. That I can find just that tiny nudge back to a balanced life. I found it an easy, engaging read that directly speaks to the unfocused workaholic in all of us.

Live Like You Are Dying: Make Your Life Count Moment by Moment
Live Like You Are Dying: Make Your Life Count Moment by Moment
Price: $17.95
38 used & new from $10.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Enough Time, December 3, 2015
Time flies. When I was in my twenties, I had all the time in the world. In my thirties, I dug down more to do better achieving my goals. At forty-something, despite some success I was afraid. I reached out for this book to do something about it.

It hit the mark. I wish I'd read it two decades ago. It is a no-nonsense real-speak self-help book that helps train the mind to create urgency. I'm different now and will achieve my major goals by 50. Thank you!

Purple Pencil Adventures: Writing Prompts for Kids of All Ages

Columbia Men's Techsun Sandal, Charcoal/Yellow Curry, 11 D US
Columbia Men's Techsun Sandal, Charcoal/Yellow Curry, 11 D US
Price: $44.93

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, July 5, 2015
Second pair after first finally died. Knew what I was getting.

HOODDEAL 5Ft 1.5m HDMI To 3-RCA Video Audio AV Component Converter Adapter Cable For HDTV DVD
Offered by Win World
Price: $7.29
11 used & new from $4.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, June 20, 2015
Ultimately unnecessary. Nothing to do with seller. goes in my cable bag.

Going from Undisciplined to Self Mastery: Five Simple Steps to Get You There
Going from Undisciplined to Self Mastery: Five Simple Steps to Get You There
Price: $15.41
31 used & new from $10.68

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, January 13, 2015
When I saw the title of Mr. Kern’s book it hit home. I’ve been a horrible procrastinator most of my adult life. I needed to desperately change my lifestyle and following the five steps made it easier for me to start the process. Instituting structure first in my life made sense. Before I would just set goals first without proper planning, I was disorganized, I didn’t follow a routine or a to-do list and the results were always the same. I failed miserably. Now I follow a to-do list, am organized and try to follow a good routine every day. I am trying to eliminate my bad habits. I’ve made tremendous progress but still have a long way to go.

Discipline: Take Control of Your Life
Discipline: Take Control of Your Life
Price: $26.95
29 used & new from $21.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! What a book!, March 21, 2011
I was floundering with discipline. My mom gave me an advance copy. Long story short after applying the principles in the book, I'm lighter and able to meet deadlines. Enough said, except "this book changed my life!"

Discipline: Take Control Of Your Life
Discipline: Take Control Of Your Life
Price: $18.95
40 used & new from $2.50

5.0 out of 5 stars I needed to read this book!, March 21, 2011
Disorder ruled my life. There wasn't a deadline I wouldn't slip and I dreaded taking on new projects. Now that I've read this book all of that has changed. Now, I'm twenty pounds lighter and am successfully completing my assignments. All because my Mom dropped an advance galley on me and made me read it. I owe a lot to Harris and his principles!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2013 11:26 AM PST

The Ten-Cent Plague: The Great Comic-Book Scare and How It Changed America
The Ten-Cent Plague: The Great Comic-Book Scare and How It Changed America
by David Hajdu
Price: $16.19
127 used & new from $2.79

5.0 out of 5 stars A Witch Hunt by Any Other Name, August 20, 2009
Stop me if you've heard this weepy song heard at least once a week in many comic book stores nationwide: "I used to have X title, but my Mom accidentally (or intentionally) pitched the books out." Those of us that like comics all have all sung that song. For me it was the first printing of the Star Wars movie adaptation, a few Sergeant Rocks, an equal number of Howling Commandos and a representative sample of Batman, Spiderman, Avengers, Ghostrider and Superman.

No, I wouldn't solve any financial problems with my collection and I don't really blame Mom, because like most ten-year old boys I didn't really understand what I had beyond something fun to read until I lost it. I do blame a certain stepfather who cut up my Star Wars books for the pictures to paste up on a board that was intended to encourage me to work out more as discipline for stupid petty crap no one remembers why it was important. What made comic books so hated among adults even in the 1970s that it was OK to appropriate things we bought with our own allowance money and perpetrate nothing less than a property crime?

I had to grow up and get back into comics as an adult to learn the name I sought: Frederick Wertham PhD. Pity, the man is long dead, but the hate and anger is very black. It would almost be worth committing grievous sins to get assigned to his room in Hell. Well, at least David Hajdu captured the silly and frightening times of the 1950s where we hunted Reds (almost) and comic books into extinction in his book The 10-cent Plague: The Great Comic Book Scare and How it Changed America.

I became progressively angrier with long dead people with each passing page as my mind made connections to other examples of American fear mongering that are more recent. Witch hunting didn't just die out when Sen. McCarthy embarrassed himself on TV; turn on the news and see if there are parallels. The principles are the same: lie about the enemy, exaggerate the threat and play to parents who aren't monitoring their own kids. That I got angry says all that needs to be said about the technique in the book: excellent.

I spent a whole night in one sitting reading this book on my Kindle racing through first person accounts of the poor kids coerced by people willing to believe anything written by a man with a PhD. Hajdu makes his case very clear that Wertham's book The Seduction of the Innocent was based on almost no actual science with double blinds or other responsible study. Simply put, the "trusted expert" blamed comic books for bad kids, when all kids good or bad read comic books invalidating the thesis in any responsible experimentation regime.

But, it was the 1950s and who needs responsible science that may rock the boat in a society still at war with everybody? Parents didn't even try to understand that societies change or they die and that comic books popular with their children were just something different, not bad. I kept my eyes open for the inevitable hypocrisy of black and white doctrinaire platforms whether it was comic books or a strict interpretation of Islam. People still collected and hid their comics from parents while Dad hid his Playboys.

Hajdu's best scenes came out of the interviews with the kids who burned their books, because someone twisted their arms, and the comic book creators ruined by the televised hearings. However, as fascinating as the book is retelling what happened and possibly why, the book didn't make as good a case for comic books being good as is now the accepted opinion. While some of the reasons for comics being positive things are included in explanations of why comics became popular in the first place, I felt an epilogue chapter that explains with footnotes how American thought on comics has changed now that the fear mongers changed gears to go after in order: Rock, TV, The Passion of Christ, Rap, Video Games, Muslims and now healthcare reform was in order.

I wanted to hear from the experts who'd been voices in the wilderness during hearings that use such phrases like Catharsis, Emotional Preparation for Adulthood, Interim Step to Full Literacy and Mythic Archetypes. These words are said about all art forms that show works that don't always conform to the silly and safe notion that we must protect our kids from everything. Well, the one omission aside The 10-cent Plague is one must read book.

Now, where did I leave my time machine for going back to rescue my comics?
[...].