Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports
Profile for Ophelia Mourns > Reviews

Browse

Ophelia Mourns' Profile

Customer Reviews: 112

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ophelia Mourns "Half my life's in books' written pages/Live & learn from fools & from sages" RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Starter Double Play (TV: 140+ Channels, HD, DVR | Internet: 75 Mbps) with 24-month term
Offered by Comcast XFINITY
Price: $0.00
2 used & new from $0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Competitive on the surface, but thick as thieves underneath, July 31, 2016
Really miss my old neighborhood. Was delighted when I moved in to discover there were two cable companies. Consumers had a genuine choice. And the monthly bill made it crystal why monopolies are soo wrong. The identical service/package I had then I have now. The difference now is my bill is $65.00 *more* every month, and the customer service is deplorable. (Circumstances don't leave me with the freedom to move back to where I was living.) And though Comcast touts its On Demand, what's left out is 1) only the current season is free--but previous seasons cost ~$2.99/episode; 2) On Demand *sounds* good, until you check the offerings and find the majority of shows/movies offered are ancient, didn't last past the first or second season because viewership was abysmal because the show/movie was awful; 3) Though viewers can stream shows/movies from Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, Comcast etc. STILL refuse to allow a la carte programming; 4) Your premium keeps increasing in part because of the addition of yet more tv evangelists/religious programming, shopping channels, sports channels, game show channels you don't want, didn't request, and have never watched in the first place. Yet cable companies still give the same excuse that's never been credible and never will be. 5) Every year the seasons grow shorter, show more re-runs during a season, and there are so many commercials in any given show that it now feels like they are the program and the program, the commercial.

Almost hard to believe ~40 years ago though there wasn't a smorgasbord of original shows to watch but what there was at least was original programming; viewers weren't bombarded with partisan political shows that were mostly lies or distortions; many shows were still shown in b/w only but no one minded because the shows themselves were good; original programming hadn't been overtaken by reality TV and infomercials/"paid programming"/shopping channels; programming went off the air at midnight but there wasn't yet a big market for overnight/24-hour programming.

And television was free. (A small price to pay, IMO, for a television that was actually a big piece of furniture you didn't move around much because moving it practically required a crane.)

Today we have televisions the size of your palm or half of a wall; b/w has been replaced by gorgeous high-definition color; home entertainment systems, if you can afford it, offer visual and sound to rival that of movie theatres; you have hundreds of channels--even if original programming is slowly being replaced by infomercials and paid programming; reality TV has 'spread' to practically every channel, and Bravo is now mostly a reality TV channel; new channels are usually sports, gardening, religion; hiatuses are now longer than original seasons; a 30-minute sitcom is now roughly 17 minutes of show and 13 minutes of commercials.

And television not only is no longer free, it also costs almost as much as a monthly car payment unless you get the most basic package.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't impressed; didn't like the feel or coverage, July 5, 2015
Ahh, yet another disappointing mascara going into the "mascara graveyard." Other women might obviously love it, but I did not. It didn't go on particularly smoothly, and clumped a bit, and 'sin' of sins, gave that spidery eyes look. (To this day, Maybelline's Full & Soft and L'Oreals Feather Lash are the only two that leave my lashes looking dark but not ghoulish, go on smoothly, and make your lashes look soft and naturally dark.) But I am still ever on a quest to find just the right mascara. But I didn't find it in this CoverGirl mascara, stopped using it after about a week.

Of course your mileage may vary, depending on your lash type. I have long lashes (which is frustrating when you also wear eyeglasses), fairly dense. But they are frustratingly blonde (I'm not one of those redheads blessed with naturally brown lashes/eyebrows), so I need a mascara that wears well, one that makes my eyes 'pop' a little while looking normal versus looking like Elvira! Unfortunately, this mascara didn't do the trick.

I was thinking the other day about how finding the "perfect" mascara can be as difficult as finding the perfect moisturizer (or shoes, but if I go off on a footwear tangent, I'll end up writing a review both off-topic and longer than Crime and Punishment!). It's easy to get lured in by the advertising, even though we should regard supposed "truth in advertising" with a healthy degree of skepticism.

And then there's the price point. I could spend hours (and make a credit card cry) wandering through my local Sephora's. But while they may offer 10 different types of black mascara at $29.99 each to Amazon's 5 types at $6.99, often that $6.99 tube both feels and looks better on, you know? (One of my biggest pet peeves is the lack of color choices for redheads. Usually there is Very Black, Black, Brown-Black, and if you are lucky, Dark Brown. But it's getting increasingly difficult to find Brown mascara. And Auburn? Henna? Any shade of red--and that includes eyebrow liner/shadow? Nearly impossible to find. When I am lucky enough to actually find Brown, I'll buy 4-5 tubes because I don't know when/if I can find Brown again when I need it.)

Speaking of mascara colors, what IS it with all the Black shades? Black is black! But there's Midnight Black, Blackest Black, Darkest Black, Inky Black, Blacker Than Black, Not Your Mother's Black, lol. I don't get it.

In the "separate, define, lengthen" AND "clump-free" categories (also areas where I felt this CoverGirl mascara fell short), umm, lashes are naturally separated; the mascara isn't doing the separating, per se. And "define?" Isn't that a given? Mascara will darken and thicken your lashes, therefore "defining" them, right? :).

In the "lengthen" and "clump-free, smudge-free" categories, in 3 decades I have yet to find a mascara that doesn't clump a little bit (though sometimes the clumping results from the user's skill, or lack thereof). Some waterproof mascaras DON'T run or smudge easily, but they also can require the equivalent of paint remover it!

As for "lengthening," IMO that should fall into the False Advertising category. If there is something in the mascara that genuinely, measurably lengthens them, wouldn't that require FDA approval?

Amazon may reject this review for not sticking just to the actual purchase, but in case they do allow it, I will end by saying my experience with this particular mascara wasn't a good one. I stuck it out for a week and then tossed it in the "mascara graveyard" in my closet. Hopefully other women have more positive experiences with this mascara.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2015 2:26 PM PDT

Pajanimals: No Fun Without Sleep!: A Lift-the-Flap Story
Pajanimals: No Fun Without Sleep!: A Lift-the-Flap Story
by Running Press
Edition: Board book
Price: $6.95
61 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, well-designed, about the well-loved Pajanimals, June 17, 2015
What kid doesn't love pop-up books? (Until, unless they have an interactive book, ie, iPad, etc. Hard to fight technology, but a great story/characters that holds a child's attention is a winner, whether old-school pop-up book or an e-book. Add in Pajanimals, it's definitely a winner.

Disney Pixar Cars 2 Movie Theater: Storybook & Movie Projector
Disney Pixar Cars 2 Movie Theater: Storybook & Movie Projector
by DisneyPixar Cars
17 used & new from $4.07

2.0 out of 5 stars Would recommend for children 4-5 years old and older, June 17, 2015
My great-nephew adores the Cars movies, so I thought he'd love this. Alas, he's still a little too young for it to hold his attention. He treated the projector more as a flashlight, lol. The projector works fine, the images display cleanly on a clear white wall. The book is well-made, sturdy in a child's hands, the pictures vivid. But I think he, and probably other children(?), would enjoy it more if they are a little older, at least 4-5 years old. So for now I am keeping it packed away until he's a little older, then give it another try. I would recommend not purchasing it until your wee one is at least 4 years old, if only because by then his/her interest in Cars might have dimished or moved on to a more current movie, thus you could be wasting your money. Otherwise, it's fine. I just would not recommend spending money on it, or others like it, until the child is old enough to enjoy it and because by the time they would be interested in this kind of book-and-projector, they may no longer be as interested in the movie.

Cardinal Toss Across Game
Cardinal Toss Across Game
Price: $19.99
17 used & new from $19.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing; would not recommend, June 17, 2015
This review is from: Cardinal Toss Across Game (Toy)
Remember when toys weren't usually made of plastic? Maybe I'm dating myself, but remember when toys were made of wood? And actually stood up to the abuse enthusiastic kids heaped on them? I bought this for my 3-year-old great-nephew. He had more fun putting on the X and O stickers than playing the game, lol. I fondly remember the one from my childhood, made of wood, sturdy, heavier bean bags with good stitching. This one is made of cheap plastic, and as the bean bags are fairly lightweight, IMO, and so harder to flip the blocks. I was as frustrated as my great-nephew. It's equally frustrating, and disheartening, to see a child excited about an unexpected new toy and then be disappointed and lose interest within 15 minutes because it doesn't quite work as it should. Definitely a case of getting what you pay for. Cheap, lightweight plastic, lightweight bean bags not well sewn and because they are light, not easy to flip an X to an O, etc. This might be the kind of toy that is better bought from a bricks-and-mortar store, so you can see, feel for yourself how well it is made, if the bean bags are heavy enough. I would also recommend forking over more $$, if your child really likes this game, and spring for one made of wood. Not only will it likely last longer, but a child might enjoy it more and play with it more often.

Mead Envelopes, Press-It Seal-It, 9 x 12 Inches, Office Pack, 25 Per Pack (76086)
Price: $6.64
18 used & new from $6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Good mailers, May 18, 2015
Sticks well, foldover clips don't snap off easily. Easily holds several pages up to a standard 8.5 x 11 size. When I need more protection of the contents, I go with the padded ones.

Mead #10 Envelopes, Press-It Seal-It, White, 50/Box  (75024)
Mead #10 Envelopes, Press-It Seal-It, White, 50/Box (75024)
Price: $4.99
55 used & new from $2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Self-adhesive stickers--can't go wrong, May 18, 2015
Not only do you not have to lick the envelopes, but they are just thick enough that their contents aren't see-through, for me, two priorities.

Lee Publications NE585 1 X Finding Nemo Magnetic Activity and Puzzle Set
Lee Publications NE585 1 X Finding Nemo Magnetic Activity and Puzzle Set
Offered by Tucker's Toy Shop
Price: $9.06
9 used & new from $8.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect gift for the inquisitive, May 18, 2015
What a great idea--sticker meets magnets from a favored film. My great-nephew never tires of playing with this. Makes me wish all Pixar/studios that make kid movies would make one of these for every book they release.

Finding Nemo Sticker Book
Finding Nemo Sticker Book
by DK Publishing
Price: $6.00
59 used & new from $0.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a 3 year old / sticker lover, May 18, 2015
Bought for my 3-year-old great-nephew, who loved it. Enough I am going to buy a few more for him since he enjoyed it so much!

Jeneration X: One Reluctant Adult's Attempt to Unarrest Her Arrested Development; Or, Why It's  Never Too Late for Her Dumb Ass to Learn Why Froot Loops Are Not for Dinner
Jeneration X: One Reluctant Adult's Attempt to Unarrest Her Arrested Development; Or, Why It's Never Too Late for Her Dumb Ass to Learn Why Froot Loops Are Not for Dinner
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $12.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a re-read, but good enough for A read, May 18, 2015
I still remember first time I read Bright Lights Big Ass, though my memories are unquestionably better than those of the person unfortunate enough to be stuck (listening to me cackle) in the seat beside me. (But the way I see it, anyone who buys a middle seat knows they are playing Seat Roulette. All you can do is pray you aren't beside someone who has you begging the flight attendant to be moved to cargo--you won't tell if they don't--or down as many Jack and cokes as fast as you can and hopefully pass out quickly and before the urge to barf hits.)

Some of my best book finds have come from grabbing a book at random from an airport shop and scanning the jacket copy. I have hit gold too many times to stop the practice now, which is how I discovered Lancaster and "Bright Lights..." Unfortunately, for me this particular book mostly missed on the laughter scale.

There were a few "Jems" (as I call phrases or attitudes of hers that IMO are gems)--like when she asked somewhat rhetorically if we knew that peanut butter is now a hate crime. That was funny! And nearly true. As a society we seem to be losing our grip. Nicotine cigarettes and peanut butter move ever closer to the "contraband" category while meanwhile, individual states are (hallelujah) flipping off the fed. government and encouraging their residents to make like Cheech and Cbong and go ahead and roll a fatty!

Lancaster, even if unintentionally, was astute when she mused how kids today seem unable to express themselves unless in a tweet or text message. Are we losing the art of fine writing and the ability
to recognize same? Were they alive today, would tweeting and texting delight and challenge Hemingway and Parker? Cause nervous breakdowns in Dickens and Dostoyevsky?

No matter; I still have faith in Jen. How can you NOT laugh when she compares bravely eating a Survivor-like sea critter to a sea urchin and describes it as feeling like being "French-kissed by a Japanese fishing boat?" LOL

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12