Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports
Profile for D. Blankenship > Reviews

Browse

D. Blankenship's Profile

Customer Reviews: 3923
Top Reviewer Ranking: 34

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Blankenship RSS Feed (The Ozarks)
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Smartfood Popcorn Variety Pack, 10 Ounce
Smartfood Popcorn Variety Pack, 10 Ounce
Price: $7.48

5.0 out of 5 stars We do eat a lot of this stuff and love the concept of the single serving bags., August 28, 2016
I am so glad that someone thought of these variety packs of popcorn...they deserve a metal. Popcorn is one of our favorite snacks. We of course pop our own but it is awful handy to have these small bags available when you want just a quick snack. My wife and I like the small portions (there are only the two of us) because when we purchase the large bags it can and does go stale and quite quickly in our climate. Both of us like our snacks and popcorn is much healthier that the chips and stuff you normally find. Unlike other brands of packaged popped popcorn this particular product is not overly salty and the flavors are not overwhelming. We have tried other brands and to our taste, this is by far the best.

Now my wife loves the white cheddar which is fine with me because it is my least favorite. She eats it and I will normally eat the rest...works out quite well for us although I must admit that I am not above eating the white cheddar myself in a pinch. Due to the popcorn staying fresher for a longer period of time we have found that there is far, far less waste ergo, we save money.

We purchase these bags at a local store and the price here on Amazon is quite competitive. Were it not available here, we would be ordering from Amazon.

Now I am not complaining mind you, and my wife most certainly is not, but I do sort of wish they put more of the buttered corn and less of the white cheddar in the bag. This of course is personal taste and I suppose a company could never please everyone. I am sure the company did their research as to the mix here.

The only other problem we have is that when our four grown grandsons hit the house this stuff goes if my magic...you heart the rustling of paper and then...poof, the stuff is gone!

The Target (Will Robie Book 3)
The Target (Will Robie Book 3)
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast moving with interesting content...at times the reader must sort of suspend thier disbelief...that is okay with me, August 28, 2016
I’ve read a number of books by David Baldacci and for the most part have been quite pleased with all of them. Yes, there have been exceptions but you have to remember that no two persons ever read the same book. Opinions of books are like heads...everyone has one and they all differ.

Now I was highly pleased with this particular offering despite the fact that I found I had to suspend my disbelief in a few areas. But hey, this is an action adventure/thriller book, it is fiction and it is meant to entertain. I have found very, very few books in this genre were suspension of disbelief was not necessary.

This was an odd sort of book even for Baldacci. It is actually three stories in one; sort of like three short stories with a couple of side stories thrown in just to make things interesting. The author takes us from Washington D.C. (top level of our government), to the backwoods of Georgia to North Koreas with side trips to France. The stories mentioned here do meld together...sort of but the important thing is that the books is filled with action and is actually quite well written. Baldacci is a good story teller and in my opinion he shines with this offering.

Now do take note that there are several instances in this book which deal with the subject of extreme violence toward women. This is upsetting and should be taken into consideration when choosing this one for a read. I will say that these instances are not gratuitous in any sense of the word and are a very important part of the story line. I was personally fascinated with the author’s description of the workings inside the North Korean internment camps. How accurate this description is I know not because to be honest...I have never been in one. In this case I choose to take the author’s word for it because it is not beyond what information I do have access to.

This is an extremely fast moving story and is filled with extreme violence...hey, this is a story of professional assassins; what do you expect?

Overall this was a good read for me and I enjoyed it. I suspect though that it would not be every readers cup of tea.

This was a library find.

SCHMIDT Locomotive Puzzle (1000-Piece)
SCHMIDT Locomotive Puzzle (1000-Piece)
Price: $17.99
16 used & new from $17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite a challage but lots of fun. This one is NOT for everyone!, August 27, 2016
This one is a bit different and most certainly will not be for everyone. To begin with, this is a very difficult puzzle to work with and is not for beginners. The colors are extremely dark and it is quite difficult to tell where one color (or lack of color) or shade begins and the next begins. On a scale of 1 – 10 , with 10 being the most difficult (and considering this is only a 1,000 piece puzzle) my wife and I would have to rank this one at a 9.5. We can normally put a 1,000 piece puzzle together in three days (about 12 to 16 hours)...four days tops, but this one took a bit over a week.

While the scene is obviously Victorian or Regency, it never the less has a strong Steam-Punk feel about it and while I myself love all things Steam-Punk, I realize that many do not. (I must admit that my wife is not a big fan of this genre but she is a good sport and went along with me on this one).

The pieces fit quite nicely but it should be noted that a good light source is needed and it should be noted that there is, as has been pointed out, a rather harsh glare to the pieces as you put this thing together. If you have sight problems or suffer from eye strain, then you might want to skip this one.

We have been completing puzzles together for over 50 years now. We (now that we have been long retired) spend mornings working on these, drinking our coffee, talking and listening to books on CDs. We always donate completed puzzles (after we tear them down) to local long term care facilities or the local library so others can enjoy. We encourage others to do so if they do not plan to mount and frame them. There is a need.

This puzzle is a challenge and it was fun (if not a bit frustrating at times) and we enjoyed it. Let me stress again though...this one is NOT for everyone!

This was purchased at a local hobby shop and the price here on Amazon is quite competitive to what we paid...if you don’t count the shipping – No problem if you are a Prime member.

Flash and Bones: A Novel (Temperance Brennan Book 14)
Flash and Bones: A Novel (Temperance Brennan Book 14)
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars This one did not do much for me, August 27, 2016
A body is found is a metal tube of asphalt in a landfill and the past vanishing of a young couple is brought to the forefront of the present and the FBI becomes involved along with a past white power group and poison and NASCAR and a plethora of characters whose actions intertwine in a maddening way as the story progresses and.....blah, blah, blah.....

I have enjoyed this series by Kathy Reichs for quite some time now (although I am not a big fan of the T.V. series based on these novels) and cannot say that I really disliked this book but I seriously doubt if I will be giving it another read. Now don’t get mad just because I don’t like NASCAR...to each his own...I despise rodeos, bowling and am not overly fond of soccer and synchronized swimming.

I suppose that if you are a NASCAR fan you would appreciate it more than I did because, sad to say, I am not a fan of this particular sport. The story sort of revolves around the racing business and that sort of left be disinterested.

The writing is good and the book did hold a few good action scenes but I did feel this particular offering left much to be desired and did not have the spark that many previous offering in this series offer. For the life of me I could not figure out why on earth Temperance Breennan was even involved in this case. She is a forensic pathologist; not a homicide detective. Her finding in her lab offered little to solving the old murders and missing people.

And I must admit that I agree with several other reviewers here in that using the ploy of Temperance being kidnapped at the end and put in mortal danger is getting a bit old.

Now I am not one of those who say that this series is going down the tube and that this should be the end. This author has written a couple or three books featuring Brennan since and they were pretty good reads. I think this one was just a fluke...hey, no one bats a thousand.

This was a library find.

Ceaco Thomas Kinkade - Sunset on Lamplight Lane Puzzle (1000 Piece)
Ceaco Thomas Kinkade - Sunset on Lamplight Lane Puzzle (1000 Piece)
Price: $11.99
15 used & new from $9.43

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit dark for our taste but overfall a fun puzzle and very pretty when completed., August 24, 2016
Before you purchase this one do be sure that you check closely as to what you are purchasing. There are several different versions of this puzzle. There is the one being reviewed here which is 1,000 pieces and then there is the 750 piece version. It also noted that there were different titles. But the big difference to note is the price. Here on Amazon there seems to be a wide, wide range. Folks, these are all the same thing (other than the number of pieces) yet there is as much as a 20.00 plus difference...depending upon the seller. This puzzle being reviewed here was purchased at a local hobby shop for around ten dollars.

This was a fun puzzle and we enjoyed completing it. I will say that the overall color choices by Thomas Kinkade are darker than what normally attracts us but that is a personal preference on our part..many will quite likely like it.

All the pieces were present and all the pieces fit together quite well. We have always had good luck with CEACO puzzles and for mid price puzzles they are quite good we have found. As to difficulty, this one may not be suited for beginners due to the darker colors and subtle blending of color and design by the artist. The same would hold true if you have any sort of vision problems. On a scale of 1 – 10 with 10 being the most difficult, we would have to rank this one a 7 or 8.

Overall we were quite happy with this one.

This was purchased at a local hobby shop.

I, Alex Cross [Unabridged 6-CD Set] (AUDIO CD/AUDIO BOOK)
I, Alex Cross [Unabridged 6-CD Set] (AUDIO CD/AUDIO BOOK)
by James (Author); Patterson
Edition: Audio CD
28 used & new from $2.78

5.0 out of 5 stars We enjoyed listening to this one, August 24, 2016
Quite sometime ago I read the hard back version of this Patterson novel. My wife and I listen to CDs each morning while we drink coffee and work on puzzles. Since we are both Patterson fans and due to the fact that I have always been a chronic “re-reader” when we found this one at the library we chose it for a three day listen.

Patterson covers a lot of ground in this one. His Nanna is in the hospital at the same time he is investigating the disappearance of his niece. Upon finding the remains of his niece (She has been run through a wood chipper), Alex really, really takes this one personal. His investigation takes him in to the very top echelons of our government and deep inside the life style of the very, very rich.

As I said, some of the narrative is quite graphic in this one (we are talking extreme S&M here) and this may be upsetting to some readers. I must admit that this is not our normal cup of tea...far from it, but the tale is well told and it had be hooked right from the first page.

I like the nice short chapters which have become a sort of trademark for Patterson books. This is a fast read and has enough twists and turns to keep the pages turning....or in this case, keep the CDS spinning. I must admit that I did not see the ending of this thing coming and it sort of took me off guard...great stuff here.

On the other hand, if you are not a Alex Cross fan or if you are one of those that despise Patterson's work, then I would recommend you simply skip this one...good grief, there are hundreds and hundreds of other author out there to choose from.

The reader of this particular novel is quite good and had no annoying reading habits.

This was a library find.

Hidden Prey by John Sandford Unabridged CD Audiobook (The Prey Series, Book 15)
Hidden Prey by John Sandford Unabridged CD Audiobook (The Prey Series, Book 15)
by John Sandford
Edition: Audio CD
2 used & new from $66.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Wery well done and a good read and a pleasure to listen to., August 21, 2016
Quite some time ago both my wife and I read the hardback version of this book and liked it. Both of us are Sandford fans; both the Davenport and Flowers series.

For years, but in particular now that we are retired, we spend three or two hours each morning completing puzzles, drinking coffee, talking and listening to books on CDs. Since we are both “rereaders” we have found that listening to a previously read book a few years after the initial reading takes nothing form the enjoyment of the original book. Thus we choose this one recently.

In this one Lucas gets involved with the murder and apparent robbery of whom quite likely is a Russian spy left over from the cold war and is working with a female Russian female cop (maybe a cop). There are of course, as with most Davenport novels, a couple of sub stories going on and all of them in this particular work are interesting.

One thing we noted in this one is that Lucas and crew are funnier as to their interactions than is some past books. The verbal play is good and by listening to it, rather than reading it, gives the situations a bit of a different slant.

Actually, in this case I personally discovered that I actually enjoyed the recorded version as much or more than the written version – a rarity for me. The reader was quite good.

This was a library find.

Andy Catlett: Early Travels (Port William)
Andy Catlett: Early Travels (Port William)
by Wendell Berry
Price: $14.95
70 used & new from $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I am late in finding this author but glad I did - what a wonderful read!, August 20, 2016
This is the first book I have read by this author and I must admit to being very impressed. I did not realize that he had written others in an apparent series and was thrilled when I ran this up and found I had been missing a lot of fine reading – a situation I will take care of immediately.

This is some of the better writing I have run across (completely by accident) in quite some time now. This is the story of a young boy in the early 1940s while WWII was going on, taking a trip to visit his two sets of grandparents. It is the young boys first journey from home on his own. The story is told through the eyes of the young boy; a fourth grader, and puts me in mind of the story telling abilities of Ferrol Sams (Run with the Horsemen), and Robert Rouark (The Old Man and the Boy). In many ways I was also reminded greatly of Gladys Tabor’s Still Meadow books.

Now I will admit that I could well identify with this books as it deals with the transitional period in American history; the period which was divided by the war. American came out of that war a different country in more ways than you can count. I was about the same age as the young man in the story and I too lived in a rural area and like I said, I found something to identify with on just about every page. Goodness, I felt like I personally knew most of the characters in the book.

The author gives us a great look at where we were during this time period; what we have gained, but more importantly I feel, what we have lost. Again, this was sort of a nostalgic trip for me.

If you are looking for a good mellow read that will make you think, then this most certainly is a good selection.

I will of course be seeking out other works by this author.

Hamilton Beach 38528 Deep Dish Ceramic Skillet, Black
Hamilton Beach 38528 Deep Dish Ceramic Skillet, Black
Price: $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice skillet with many, many uses, August 20, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Over the years, and we are talking at least 40 of them, we have used this type of cooking pan almost constantly. When we were in the military (20 years) we had many moves and we always packed a cooking pan such as this with our personal items to be used until the bulk of our household good arrived and we could once again set up house. I am not sure what we would have done without. The are still in constant use.

This particular Hamilton Beach skillet dish is as good or even better than most we owned over the years. He heating range is adjustable and we have found very few things we cannot cook in on – one way or another. Of course the primary food item we cook is fried stuff. With the non-stick surface we have found that with this unit we have to use much less oil than in the previous older models. I must tell you that on this model, we seldom if ever use the glass lid. Several of the past skillets came with lids and we did not use these either...perhaps that is due to our particular cooking style.

When you compare this pan to the watts pulled with a stove or range, it pulls far fewer. At present we find a big advantage in that it does not heat up the kitchen as the stove does. We have quite a collection of one dish or pan meals in our recipe collection and use them all. I use this thing for a lot of stir-fry and prepare a lot of meat dishes in it.

This unit does require some minor assembly which takes about five or six minutes tops. I suppose most people will take less time to do this but I am a klutz.

Clean up is extremely easy and unless you set and let the stuff actually burn to a crisp you can pretty well clean it up with a paper towel and then mild soap and hot water. While you can use a dishwasher, I personally recommend hand washing. It should also be noted that metal turning spatulas and such should not be used as it will shorten the life of the non-stick stuff they use on this thing.

This pan heats up very quickly and we have noted no hot spots and it cooks extremely even.

Now as to how long this thing will last...that all depend upon how much you use it, and pure luck. We have had some of these pans (several different brands) last for years and years; as a matter of fact we have one in our cabinet right now that has been going strong for over 20 years, but on the other hand we have had brands that did not even make it a couple of months. Normally the first thing to go will be the coating on the non-stick surface. When this goes you can still use the pan but it is a pain to clean. How long this one will last...who knows? Only time will tell. I suspect this one will last longer than I will so I probably will be unable to update this review but if it should go belly up quickly..I will let you know with an update.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 22, 2016 7:40 PM PDT

The Eleventh Victim
The Eleventh Victim
by Nancy Grace
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.99
93 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Good grief...this one did me in, August 19, 2016
Normally when I find a book that I do not care for I will read the first two chapters and if I am not happy at that point...gone book. Life is just too short and there are far, far too many books out there waiting to be read and enjoyed. Once I get past those first two chapters though, it is seldom that I give up and stop reading...I push on the end come heck or high water.

In the case of this work I got to chapter four and threw in the towel. It wasn’t that the writing was all that bad; nor was it because the author did not know her material...she most certainly did, it was the fact that the author tried to far too much with too few pages. Good grief. In the first chapter alone she had enough trivial information packed into it that she could have gotten five more novels out of the thing. I must confess that I was completely lost and bored out of my mind...not that my mind is all that great but hey, I like keeping what little I have as active as I can.

Anyway, from what I could get out of it, you have a prosecutor who is being stalked by a serial killer who she thought that she had put away in jail a number of years ago. Hmmmm...I wonder how many books in this genre have used that premise as of this date?

Just not my cup of tea...I have not watched this author’s T.V. show and quite likely never will but I hear it is not bad...perhaps she should stick to that aspect of the entertainment business.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20