Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Ingrid Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now
Profile for VT Prof > Reviews

Browse

VT Prof's Profile

Customer Reviews: 28

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

VT Prof "Terry" RSS Feed (Western Virginia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Smith's DCS4 4-Inch FINE & COARSE Diamond Combo Sharpening Stones
Smith's DCS4 4-Inch FINE & COARSE Diamond Combo Sharpening Stones
Price: $16.98
63 used & new from $12.15

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job very well. If needed for travel, another suggestion., August 20, 2016
Does the job nicely and has a nice price tag. If you want a similar product for traveling you might consider DMT FWFC Double Sided Diafold Sharpener Fine / Coarse. Smith's sharping handle makes it a little more cumbersome to pack (the sharpening blade does come out and reverses into the handle). This sharpener, however, also really does the job well and is much less expensive. Nice for your kitchen drawer.

Six Seconds
Six Seconds
Offered by Harlequin Digital Sales Corp.
Price: $5.24

2.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat of a chore to get through., August 20, 2016
This review is from: Six Seconds (Kindle Edition)
Unfortunately, I found myself putting down this book after having to jump over paragraphs time and again just to keep up interest in the storyline. It may have an ending that makes everything worthwhile, but I will never get there. I think the author has talent in writing narrative but this book, at least, could benefit from about a 20% cut in writing. I found that a number of the storyline elements to be implausible or uninteresting. Perhaps other books of his would be more interesting reads (given the positive reviews I've seen) but this reader is unlikely to give any of them a try.

A Deniable Death
A Deniable Death
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $9.99

2.0 out of 5 stars A chore to get through, November 27, 2015
This review is from: A Deniable Death (Kindle Edition)
This is possibly one of the slowest moving spy thrillers I've ever read. The "Most helpful critical review" I read lays out the plot pretty well but does not get across how s-l-o-w-l-y the story moves in the novel. A great deal of the read is about how two forward observers--Foxy and Badger--lay quite still in the marshes observing--day after day after day--the home of the Engineer waiting to see what happens. We wait with them--day after day after day--in the heat hearing their thoughts, their acid comments to one another, their observations about the wildlife, etc., etc. It's as if Phelps wants the reader to actually experience how boring it is to lay still for so long--day after day after day. I found myself just skipping these pages looking for a point or a plot progression to be made. Other scenes in the book have a quicker pace by comparison but I found I kept putting this book aside for more interesting things (like mowing the lawn). I have yet to finish it but with 60% of it done I'll try to grit my teeth and see if it really goes anywhere.

Ceptics USA to Australia/China Plug Adapter - CE Certified High Quality - CE Certified - RoHS Compliant - 6 Pack
Offered by Universal Supplies
Price: $5.99
3 used & new from $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as intended--some additional thoughts to consider, August 16, 2015
These adaptors are perfectly serviceable. I use them mainly when I am using my computer in the field. Be aware that there is no ground plug (for most electronics nowadays, that's no problem). At my "home base" I use a grounded adapter for two reasons: it's nice to have a grounding capability and the extra prong makes the adaptor more stable in the outlet. I bring a 3 foot extension cord with me with 3-6 outlets to attach my various electronics when I set up my "powering center."

Universal Power Strip 6 Outlets - 100V to 220V/250V and 2500 Watts Surge Protector - With circuit breaker - For Worldwide Use
Offered by CABLE-MIX
Price: $35.00
2 used & new from $15.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really great for travel after all, June 11, 2015
I bought this for my travels. It won't be coming with me, however. In the end all I needed was a few extra outlets to plug in my electronics (computer, phone, etc.). This product does this but weights more and is more bulky than I like or need. For me a simple extension cord with several outlets would do the job with less weight and bulk. Both this and it requires a plug adapter anyway. Because I'm using all US plugs, I don't need the universal outlets this product provides (although it might come in handy for visitors from other countries while I'm traveling or while I'm at home--I'm keeping this just for this purpose to welcome foreign visitors when they come to visit me in the US). This product does allow for usb power connections, which is nice. But I need to take my usb power adapters with me anyway to charge in other locations as need in my travels. It seems well made but, in the end, does not provide me with much more than a simple extension cord with multiple outlets.

Coredy Aluminum 4 Ports USB 3.0 Hub SuperSpeed Data Transfer Rates up to 5Gbps for Apple iMac Mac Mini Macbook Air Pro Laptop Pc Ultrabook Compatible Windows Mac OS X Linux (CU3040 Silver)

4.0 out of 5 stars Performs well and nice to look at, June 11, 2015
While there are a lot of usb hubs out there this is a really nice one. I got it to extend the usb port on my Surface Pro 3 and it does the trick nicely. The cord is long enough for the hub to sit on the desk while I use it but short enough for easy packing for travel. Tiny blue lights indicate eacfh connection is working. It's light and looks nice. It's four ports so nicely for me giving me a marginal increase of three extra ports. Any less and I being to wonder about the utility of the hub a all.

Melitta 40994 1.7-Liter Kettle
Melitta 40994 1.7-Liter Kettle
Price: $38.80
16 used & new from $28.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Reall quite good, June 11, 2015
This product is really quite good in many ways. Contrary to one review, it does turn off automatically when the water comes to boil (send back if it does not). The water heats up in no time at all. The floor of the pot is unobstructed by any heating element (makes for easy cleaning). The heating element is so designed that the pot can be brought to the table and placed down without concern for a hot bottom. The 1.7 liter capacity is quite sufficient for most needs. The indicator light is blue and "washes" up the fill indicators on the side. No mistaking whether it is on or not and it's quite pleasant.. The retractable cord is very handy for avoiding excessive cord on the counter to catch on things. It could be a bit longer but is quite long enough for my and, I imagine, most needs. On top of everything, it is pleasing to the eye.

Luxury Bath Sheet Towel (Champagne; 35 x 70 Inch) Cotton Extra Large Beach Bath Towels, Machine Washable, Hotel Quality, Super Soft and Highly Absorbent Towels By Utopia Towels
Offered by Utopia Deals
Price: $31.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice towel for the money, February 2, 2015
For the money, I think it is well made. It certainly qualifies as a "bath sheet" in terms of its size (think beach towel size). It is soft and thirsty and, so far, machine washes well. It is not as plush as towels that cost $40-$60 but I didn't expect it to be.
I have seen past reviews of the towel that were not good. I don't doubt those reviewers experience with them. Sometimes organizations like Utopia Towels have quality issues with their vendors or their own production processes. In my experience whatever problems they may have had seemed to be worked out. I would check "most recent reviews first" to see if others' experiences are the same as mine.

SHAVE SECRET SHAVING OIL- THE BEST SHAVE EVER! 18.75ML [Health and Beauty]
SHAVE SECRET SHAVING OIL- THE BEST SHAVE EVER! 18.75ML [Health and Beauty]
Offered by etailz
Price: $6.75
14 used & new from $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars This oil works well--so do other oils for cheaper, January 22, 2015
I, too, found my first Shave Secret at Wal-Mart and almost passed it up because it looked like one of those "info commercial" products. It DOES work. I put a drop on each tip of three fingers and dab each finger on each cheek and chin after a prep with water. The oil seems to just keep spreading as I rub it in although it does not seem to at first. Shaving works really well. It is true that my razor gets clogged, but it's no big deal to keep it clean by swooshing it in my basin with water.
Here's the thing: This is a good product because it works well and it is an OIL. Shaving cream etc. are part soaps--they work to dry out your face. Oil is better. BUT, I have found almost any oil will work just as well (perhaps with more than a few drops but not much more). I tried Kuma Sutra oil and it worked fine--plus it smells better--plus it is cheaper--plus I wipe the leftovers over my face to condition it. SO, I give this four stars because it does what it says well. Only four stars, though, because there are cheaper and better alternatives out there.

The Social Entrepreneur's Handbook: How to Start, Build, and Run a Business That Improves the World
Price: $16.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Never got past the author's self aggrandizing, July 12, 2014
I have to admit I did not make it all the way through this book. I never made it past all the self praise the author heaps on himself while I was looking for something of substance. The first sentence of his Acknowledgements points to the copy of Don Quixote he keeps and reads in his bathroom, in the original castellano no less. In the opening of Part 1 the author tells us about his drive to Kampala in Uganda and how he almost died. He says "In the seconds before Sam [the driver] jerked the wheel, my mind hailed back to three previous times I was certain I was going to die in a foreign land, thousands of miles away from home." And so it goes. What little concrete advise is given is diluted by how much the author has done, what great agencies he has worked for, what people he has known. If all of that is true, and I believe it probably is, the book is a terrible waste of a good opportunity.
Like I said, I was so turned off I didn't make it past the first 14% of the book (according to my Kindle tracker). Based on this, however, I would skip this one. Check out the Social Entrepreneur's Playbook... if you want a good, substantive read on starting up a social enterprise.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2015 2:58 AM PST