Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now
Profile for Amanecer > Reviews

Browse

Amanecer's Profile

Customer Reviews: 54

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amanecer RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
White Men I Love: White Men I Hate
White Men I Love: White Men I Hate
by Chuck Snowden
21 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Role Model, August 23, 2016
Chuck wrote a great book. I was at NMSU during Chuck's junior and senior years. Anybody who liked football loved this role model. I remember him throwing one of the best blocks ever. Chuck can you do me a favor and write up those elements of the taxpayer funded mind-control program that was going on at NMSU at the time.

Where Is Sophia
Where Is Sophia
by Hanif Mike Karim
Price: $13.99
18 used & new from $8.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, August 14, 2016
This review is from: Where Is Sophia (Paperback)
The beautiful Sophia reminds me of four look-alike ladies I met in the Navy. As Hanif Mike Karim says, “God has made you pretty.” The book is a fast intriguing read. Sophia says she can “never forgive those Muslims.” If you like conflicts and dilemmas you will like this book. The shenanigans that go on kept me on my toes. I have a vision as to where Sophia will turn next. I hope there is a sequel.

Perfectly Yourself
Perfectly Yourself
by Matthew Kelly
Price: $15.37
28 used & new from $10.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiritual, June 12, 2016
This review is from: Perfectly Yourself (Paperback)
Five stars goes to the author for a genuine effort to help the human condition. The author’s bedrock of become the-best-version-of-ourselves colors the entire work. The book is full of solid messages like “Consciously, subconsciously, semiconsciously, we are all preoccupied with this attempt to be more perfectly who we really are at the essence of our being.”
“Truth lived becomes wisdom” and “Take care of the pennies, and the dollars will take care of themselves” are both foundational references. Kelly’s thoughts on character like the world of ego is an illusion provide resourceful insight. “The sum of all human action is passed down through history” is right on. Time is an illusion and quotes from Plato and our own frame of references regarding ”unchanging that allows us to make sense of the change” ring true.
The concept of self-discipline is emphasized. I liked the ideas on fasting like fasting from criticizing yourself and others. His writing on simplicity, humility, and vulnerability are linked to the importance of spirituality. And there is more. I highly recommend this book

Little Rock Catholic Study Bible: Paperback

by Dr. Ross Porter
Price: $10.95
19 used & new from $3.39

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful read., February 17, 2016
A wonderful read with heart warming encouragement. For example, I loved the story on "real success." Particularly how Benedict Joseph Labre "gave forgiveness."

The Devil's Chessboard: Allen Dulles, the CIA, and the Rise of America's Secret Government
by David Talbot
Price: $20.39
81 used & new from $14.67

5.0 out of 5 stars this organization contained a septic like corrosion that undermined democracy, January 17, 2016
The CIA, as part of its implied charter to protect and serve and despite numerous loyal dedicated civil servants within its organization, this organization contained a septic like corrosion that undermined democracy. This corrosion included this book’s primary character the manipulative Allen Dulles. Even Supreme Court Justice Arthur Goldberg goes so far as to say, “That both Dulleses were guilty of treason. The crafty Allen Dulles utilized his position to free some Nazi criminals who were instrumental in the unethical mind control programs. Allen had the habit of using people and betraying then discarding them to their potential demise when they were no longer “useful.” The repeated evoking of national security by the CIA “to more deeply disguise its operations” exploited anxiousness about supposed enemies and violated the public trust. No accountability and no responsibility marked this era.
The chapter on Brain Warfare is of keen personal interest. When Dulles said the mind is “susceptible to the impact of outside influences that it is proving a malleable tool in the hands of sinister men” turned out more truthful to him than those he was accusing of the same. Having myself been a subject of these mind-control programs I wish the author would have included the use of look-alikes and synthetic telepathists in this chapter. That the Rockefellers helped finance CIA projects like MKULTRA is a sickening reality. Schlesinger’s comments naming Helms as complacent in playing a central role in the brainwashing experiments is likely true. James Angleton’s comment, “It is inconceivable that a secret intelligence arm of the government has to comply with all the overt orders of the government” fits many of the tragedies that were a result of the CIA’s workings their mindset of boundless authority.
The author makes a convincing argument that the CIA, Dulles himself and the military leaders laid the groundwork and atmosphere for the Bay of Pigs failure and President Kennedy’s assassination. I enjoyed this book and highly recommend it.

100 Ways To Keep Your Soul Alive Hallmark
100 Ways To Keep Your Soul Alive Hallmark
by Frederic Brussat
45 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a nice read. Two of my favorite quotes were number ..., November 29, 2015
Someone left this book on my porch. I can only guess who. This is a nice read. Two of my favorite quotes were number fourteen “the universe will pour into him what is called life in Judaism, spirit in Christianity, light in Islam, power in Taoism.” Also, number twenty-one “Our sense of justice, in other words, has its origins in such emotions as resentment, jealousy, outrage, and revenge as well as in care and compassion.” The book is well worth having as a quick uplift.

The Gift of Years: Growing Older Gracefully
The Gift of Years: Growing Older Gracefully
by Joan Chittister
Price: $8.09
160 used & new from $2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is excellent reading and reinforces the savoring of life and cherishing ..., November 5, 2015
This book is excellent reading and reinforces the savoring of life and cherishing the value of continuing to becoming and the blessing of growing into God. The author describes age as an opportunity to go inside ourselves and harvest the bounties like trust and the presence of God.
I read the comment that by “not telling those who follow us the stories of what it took to get here, we fail the harvest of our own life and plowing days of theirs” as a motivation to tell our stories.
Loved the chapter on Religion when she quoted the Tibetan master as saying, “A burning stick, though turned to the ground, has its flame drawn upwards.” Further the author challenges us to not let old ideas choke new insights out of us.
The chapter on Time is appreciated. However, I think addressing time managements ideas of I have all the time I need, I have all the time there is would be valuable. The chapters on Wisdom and Limitations are excellent. One of my favorite lines in the book is, “A blessing of these years is the ability to see that life does not have to be perfect to be perfect; it only needs to be forgiving-and forgiven." I highly recommend this book.

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (text only) Reissue edition by M. Angelou
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (text only) Reissue edition by M. Angelou
by M. Angelou
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
63 used & new from $2.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, August 7, 2015
Five stars for sure. If I could give more I would. This is an exceptional book and I highly recommend this book for anyone over the thirteen to fifteen range. In this review I will point out some of the highlights that I can relate to my own experience.
On the first page of chapter four Maya refers to the majority as “it.” In a matter of speaking in my case “it” was the taxpayer funded mind control program. A later reference to Maya’s it, is in chapter six when the congregation says, “Preach it.” Loved the way in Chapter nine that her Dad talked unembarrassed and unapologetic. As a child I certainly admired those who talked that way.
In Chapter 11 when Freeman states, “If you ever tell anybody what we did, I’ll have to kill Baily” rings home in my own trauma of “I less one” and beyond. And on Maya’s following page where she writes, how then she forgot and the memory “melted into the general darkness just beyond the great blinkers of childhood,” is well taken. Loved the words on the first page of Chapter 13, “people whose lives are filled with violence are always wondering where the next” ‘fix’ “is coming from." Much truth is written at the end of this chapter when she references her silence from trauma being taken by others as impudent and sullenness as well as being punished as uppity.
In Chapter 16 when Maya wonders if other folks have heard about her rapist and victimization. This is so true in regard to my own trauma flashbacks of “I less one” and beyond. In Chapter 18 Maya’s words of, “they had been refreshed with the hope of revenge and the promise of justice” has to be a universal commonality. I definitely related to the words in chapter 20 of “lookalike, soundalike and beingalike” as similar words are used in my own story. Perhaps Maya’s lookalikes are meant in her story different that mine but we relate to that. Again in chapter 20 she relates to love, due to her trauma, as a hateful word. This is exactly the case in my own recollections of trauma. When my third to fourth grade Sunday school teacher mentioned the word Christian love to me I thought he was trying to traumatize me. I liked Maya’s words in Chapter 37 when she says, “that surrender, in its place, was as honorable as resistance, especially, if one had no choice.” All of Chapter 35 is a treat and the way Maya uses words shows our thinking then did not have to be so politically correct. We would not dare to use the words now that she uses then. Maya’s uncovering of her sexuality is a gemstone. This review has been long but the book moved me and deserves the best.

When Love Calls: A Memoir of Great Devotion
When Love Calls: A Memoir of Great Devotion
by Father Norm Supancheck
Price: $11.30
72 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Soulful Journey, April 30, 2015
A great read as Father Norm Supancheck and Marcus Brotherton combine to deliver Father Supancheck’s soulful journey. Father Supancheck’s focus on others, the happiness of a strong devoted relationship, and his life reflecting such led him to and in the priesthood. A strong finding of peace becomes a major part of the journey. Father Supancheck’s life reflects both humility and courage to work through hardships. Thus, “the bumblebee” flies and love reduces “discord or strife.” The Father’s advice to report crimes is well taken. Certainly, this book is a heart full read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6