Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports
Profile for Lisa Anderson > Reviews

Browse

Lisa Anderson's Profile

Customer Reviews: 56

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Lisa Anderson RSS Feed (San Antonio, TX)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Wildlife
Wildlife
by Jeff Menapace
Price: $8.99
28 used & new from $6.27

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoy Jeff's books, October 26, 2015
This review is from: Wildlife (Paperback)
I really enjoy Jeff's books. My favorite trilogy of all time is the Bad Games one by him. This book definitely follows the violence often portrayed in Jeff's books. The story itself is well written. I do agree with a couple other reviewers that the ending could have been better. I liked how the actual violence story line wrapped up - but I wanted a little bit better ending for the boys and just more detail - more of an ending. Nevertheless, great book, and recommend for someone wanting a quick read not minding the blood / violence!

The Back Building
The Back Building
Price: $3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good premise.. with lots of holes, September 26, 2015
This review is from: The Back Building (Kindle Edition)
I was very intrigued when I saw the title and description of this book. I'm a psychiatric nurse and love to read fiction and nonfiction about historical perspectives of psychiatric illnesses. I went into this book excited, but came out disappointed.
The book is broken into two parts. Part 1 discusses Iona. As a 15 year old, she is sent to a mental hospital and ultimately diagnosed with delusions and obsessive compulsive disorder. The story follows her through her time there, running away, and the years after. However, it is not descriptive. There are huge missing parts in Iona's story, and I am so disappointed about this! The title of book being "The Back Building" made me want to hear, in detail, about the back building at the ward. The book mentions it in passing and does not give this topic the appropriate time - I think the book being titled this is misleading. Iona never spent time in the back building either and it was completely overlooked. I at least wanted (so bad) for Iona to peek in the back building, or for a patient to survive the back building and tell all, or just something regarding the back building.. yet there was nothing. There are also huge gaps in Iona's life and it ends pretty abruptly to continue on with Part 2.
In Part 2, the book skips several generations. Jenna (who would be the great, great grand daughter of Iona) becomes suddenly mentally ill. I do not care for the description of Jenna's illness. It's extreme.. we will just say that. Working in an inpatient psychiatric hospital myself, her character in the story is over the top and not believable. Some true elements of a psychiatric diagnosis are present.. but for the most part, it is not accurate. Yes, I know this book is fiction, but it is my understanding the author wanted to shed light on mental illnesses.. and I feel she should have done the character justice by portraying her more like a real psychiatric patient. Anyways, this part also has gaps and jumps all over the place. Not impressed with it.
This book had the potential of being really, really good.. but falls short. It would have been better to break this up into two books, and just go with the story with Part 1 and Part 2. The premise is good, but the overall book just let me down.

Plush Dog Bookmarks, 12 Pieces
Plush Dog Bookmarks, 12 Pieces
Offered by The_CornerShop
Price: $7.25
14 used & new from $5.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute puppy bookmarks, September 20, 2015
My daughter loves these bookmarks! They are adorable, and fit in all sizes of books. I would recommend them for a child in particular due to their cuteness alone!

The Life of Anna: The Complete Story
The Life of Anna: The Complete Story
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating dark series, September 20, 2015
I loved this series. I generally do not write book reviews, but this series of 5 books was one of the best series that I have read. It is a very dark series with graphic scenes of physical and sexual abuse. Please note this! However, the story of Anna is amazing. Anna loses her parents at age 12 and lives with her guardian, Jack. At age 16, she begins her training as a sex slave. When she is 20, a bonding ritual takes place in which Devin, an Elder, performs the ritual. An Elder-son, Alex, interferes with the ritual and Anna now has two masters. Anna has duties she must perform for Devin, and he grows very powerful. In between the duties, she lives a "normal" life through dance. Alex disappears, and the chances of Anna having a wonderful life seem slim. You will tear up in scenes, you will be disgusted at Devin, and have hope for Alex. It is an amazing story!
Note: I do not like to read science fiction material. This book has some ailments of sci-fi in it, but I was able to tolerate it. Most of the sci-fi material dealt with the Immortals in the book. And although I didnt care for some of those sci-fi parts, it did add to the story in a nice manner. The story in the most part is a dark thriller.

Dismantling Evan
Dismantling Evan
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, April 16, 2015
This review is from: Dismantling Evan (Kindle Edition)
This genre isn't my normal genre to read, but I am so glad I did! I became intrigued with the story line because I am a psychiatric nurse at an inpatient psychiatric hospital. I think tells author has portrayed beautifully the mind of a depressed / bipolar adolescent girl. Evan, Lia, and even Gavin are gracefully done and I see their stories in the patients I see in real life. I feel for the characters and loved reading their stories. I also feel this portrays a pretty accurate picture of bullying at schools, what brings kids to the breaking point, and really opens your eyes to the reality of what takes place in the minds of those victimized by being bullied. This story was an amazing story to be told and I am so happy I read it, but even happier that I have such a wonderful job to help out the real Evans, Lias, and Gavins out there. Highly recommend this book!

Just Rocks in a Box 16 Colors
Just Rocks in a Box 16 Colors
Offered by P Coast Partners
Price: $32.94
5 used & new from $25.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these crayon rocks!, January 4, 2013
My daughter has a thing for rocks. She loves them and I knew she would love these crayons. She is a little artist and sure enough, she loves them!
The rocks are colorful, true to their color and eco-friendly (bonus!) My daughter colors with these rocks every now and then, but the texture is different than normal crayons. They are made differently (to make them eco-friendly), so the texture is a little weird, but still colorful. Also, you can look at the shape of the rocks and see that you wont be coloring anything with fine edges - this is more for free drawing because they are small and bulky. Highly recommend these rock crayons for any little artist!

Breyer Wind Dancer Mini Gift Collection
Breyer Wind Dancer Mini Gift Collection
Price: $15.70
23 used & new from $12.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute horses, but flimsy, January 4, 2013
My daughter (age 5 at the time) received this as a Christmas present from Santa last year, as she loves fairy horses. She is very gentle at playing with her toys, so we never had a problem with the wings breaking off as indicated with other reviews.. until we had a playdate over at our house. These horses are not recommended for rougher kids! The wings will come out, and I have hot glued the wings in place several times (at least on every horse) - this makes the wings immobile as before, but at least the horse still has wings! These horses are also very small - obviously pretty cheaply made. If you have a gentle kiddo, you'll be fine with this toy - just make sure you put them up with other kids coming or you will have broken wings!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars A ghost circle!, January 4, 2013
I fell in love with these ghosts the moment I saw them and knew I had to have them for Halloween!! A couple of things to note:
- Only 3 ghosts come per box. If you want a full ghost circle (6 ghosts), you need to order 2 boxes.
- The stakes are flimsy. We put all the ghosts on the stakes and over night, the ghosts fell down! So, we bought some dowel rods to prop up the ghosts - and this worked. The ghosts stayed put. So, note that you need to buy some dowel rods (bought ours at a local craft store) or better stakes for these ghosts.
- Lights! These ghosts have no lights, you need lights to make them visible at night.
We set up our ghosts the day before Halloween and the neighborhood loved them. A few people even stopped by to take a picture of them! They are really cool ghosts - cheaply made, yes, but pretty neat to have in your yard and an excellent non-scary Halloween decoration.

Raider Black XX-Large Leather Fingerless Gloves
Raider Black XX-Large Leather Fingerless Gloves
Price: $5.93

4.0 out of 5 stars Sizes run extremely small!, January 4, 2013
I read other reviews before I bought these gloves.. and glad I did! Other reviews said that the sizes run small, and they definitely do. Beware of this! My husband would probably a L-XL gloves. I took a chance and got him the XX-Large based on reviews. They fit him snug! He likes these gloves, so hence the high rating, but was unable to give a 5 star rating due to the sizing issue. They appear to be excellent gloves, just make sure to order a size higher if you buy these!

Wild Science Kitty College Pet Science
Wild Science Kitty College Pet Science
Offered by Always Brilliant
Price: $18.64
10 used & new from $10.40

4.0 out of 5 stars For smart cats, January 4, 2013
My daughter saw this product in a magazine, and I was delighted that Amazon had it. We have two cats w ho she adores and she loves to play with them, so I thought this would be an awesome toy to get her, especially since she had noticed it too. The kitty college kit comes with a series of tests to determine how smart your cat is.
It is a foam board that has different games on it that you build for the cat (adult assembly definitely required to get the stickers / foam pieces lined up in the correct place). After it is assembled, the first test is to see whether cats are attracted to a movable object or a movable object with sound (marble vs. bell) - my cats were completely un-interested in this "test." So, moving on. There is a pom pom in this kit (which my cats go crazy about), and you are to test the reaction of the cat when you have it loosely on a string and moving it around with your hand, or, when you tie it to the spring on the foam board. My cats loved the pom pom tied to the string, as expected, but did not care when the pom pom was tied to the spring.
Next, the treats. This tests the smartness of your cats.. which my cats have completely failed. First, your cats must love cat treats. If they don't eat cat treats, then this test will not work for them. There are three different tests here that test them:
- (1) There are three little "knobs" on the foam board. You place a treat on each knob and cover with a plastic covering that have stickers on them. The stickers are to see if the cat has a memory or not. So, you place one treat under the red triangle with the cat watching. In theory, the cat knows it is under the red triangle so goes for that one. Then, you move the red triangle to a different knob and see what happens. And so on - there are different shapes and colors for you to test your cat's colors / memory to shapes. This was a failure for our cats.. they were completely un-interested.
- (2) The zig-zag test. This test is cute.. but my cats, again, weren't that smart to complete this task either. You have a zig-zag curve in the foam board. You place a treat under a little container and the cat has to move the little container with his paw to the edge of the board where there is a circle that will tip the container over to reveal the treat. Complicated for a cat..!
- (3) The tip over tube test. You have two tubes held together by a rubber band. Using their paw, the cats can tip over a treat that then falls down to the board into an obstacle of straws sticking up.. which then the cat has to use their paws again to bat it out of the straws and onto the floor to eat it. Sounds complicated, but my cats (or one of them at least) managed to do this test... once. Woke up one morning, all three treats we put in a tube were gone - so, they did managed to complete this task!

I rated this product 4 stars because it is cute, my daughter loved to "test" the cats knowledge, but my cats were not smart enough to handle this product (let's face it.. they are pretty lazy). If my cats were actually to cooperate and "learn" the board and the different tasks, then it would be pretty amazing.. but I don't foresee this happening! Cute product though and fun for the kids to do with the cats.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6