Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEM
Profile for Jenny Bristol > Reviews

Browse

Jenny Bristol's Profile

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jenny Bristol RSS Feed

Kitty Stuffed Animal - Organic Cat is a Non-Toxic, Bears for Humanity 12" PlushToy
Offered by BEARS FOR HUMANITY
Price: $25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This adorably, floppy, July 16, 2016
This adorably, floppy, soft, squishy, organic cotton and recycled bottle stuffed animal is my favorite new stuffed animal. Next time I need to buy a stuffed animal for a baby or small child, this (or one of Bears for Humanity's other options) will be at the top of my list.

Envision: Career Aspiration
Envision: Career Aspiration
by Melanie L.Bondy
2 used & new from $45.95

4.0 out of 5 stars It's great to get your kids thinking about this stuff early., June 4, 2012
It is never too early to start exploring careers with your kids. When they show an interest in an area, help hem learn more about it. I always had trouble figuring out what I wanted to be when I grew up. All of the interest and aptitude tests that we took told me that I should either be an engineer or a secretary. ??? Um, yeah.

To help your kids explore their options, interests, and aptitudes, check out Envision with "a series of objective-based independent projects" that are designed for gifted students. It encourages independent learning and is designed to do for 30 minutes a day for one school quarter.

It seems to be intended for use with a classroom of kids in a formal setting, complete with letters and a permission slip. But you can use it easily with your children at home, either with homeschooling, or for enrichment. Intended for kids in grades 5-8, the guide takes you through, step by step, different units. Kids take a career interest inventory (one isn't included - it directs you to find one on the Internet), searching for a job, etc. And the kids put together projects to make the most of this. At home, I wouldn't be so formal, and just use the pieces of the program that apply tour own personal goals.

It also follows Bloom's Taxonomy, focusing on the upper levels of the spectrum. It puts a lot of the responsibility on the student, but also seems to be a lot of work for the teacher to enforce that responsibility.

Envision includes a CD ROM with all the necessary forms, if needed, and the back of the book has resource cards to use in a classroom.

All in all, it's a great idea. It might work really well in a classroom with teachers who are used to so much paperwork surrounding learning. But for learning at home, I wish it just had a simplified list of things to do that didn't involve parental permission slips and formal projects. I should be able to just page through the book and get an idea of what the book is about without reading every item, step by step. But I still make the effort to go through it and pull out the parts that are useful to us.

Challenging Units for Gifted Learners: Social Studies: Teaching the Way Gifted Students Think
by Kenneth J. Smith
Price: $22.66
39 used & new from $13.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for homeschooling gifted kids, December 4, 2010
This series of Challenging Units books are all excellent for homeschooling gifted children to give them an added challenge while still addressing them in ways that will interest them. Rather than have projects and assignments that are aimed at older kids that you use with younger ones, these are designed specifically for the Junior High age group that is gifted. I've read through them and can't wait to use them with my own kids in a few years. Highly recommended. Just as easily used for classrooms and homeschool rooms.

Challenging Units for Gifted Learners: Language Arts: Teaching the Way Gifted Students Think
by Kenneth J. Smith
Price: $25.07
36 used & new from $8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for homeschooling gifted kids, December 4, 2010

Rory's Story Cubes
Rory's Story Cubes
Price: $9.62
121 used & new from $5.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Limitless fun, helps you exercise your imagination!, June 13, 2010
This review is from: Rory's Story Cubes (Toy)
I can't believe no one has reviewed these yet. Rory's Story Cubes are a fantastic toy/educational activity. Roll the dice, and create a story on your own, inspired by the images. Or create a cooperative story, with everyone adding to it. Add competitive elements, time limits, or points for using the most dice in your story. There are no limits to using these dice. The more you use them, play with them, and learn from them, the more ideas you will have for their use. The dice are also very well crafted and are a good size. You can also go to storycubes dot com to read other ideas for how to use the cubes, and to read some stories others have come up with. Kids of all ages can play! Parents, too!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2012 10:21 AM PDT

Looking for Calvin and Hobbes: The Unconventional Story of Bill Watterson and his Revolutionary Comic Strip
by Nevin Martell
Price: $27.95
73 used & new from $2.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Take this journey with Nevin Martell, November 29, 2009
When I learned that this book existed, I knew I wanted to read it. I loved reading Calvin and Hobbes. It was in newspapers from when I was 12 to when I was 22. Perfect age, I thought. I wanted to learn more about the strip and about Bill Watterson.

It didn't disappoint. Nevin Martell takes the reader on the same journey he took, seeking out Bill Watterson but learning everything he could about Bill and about the strip along the way. We also learn a bit about how the cartoon industry works, and about many of Bill's friends and coworkers. We learn why there was never any merchandising for Calvin and Hobbes.

I won't give away the ending, but I encourage you to read Looking for Calvin and Hobbes. You will learn quite a bit about one of the most popular, funny, and interesting comic strips in recent times. This book doesn't disappoint.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting styles, but it's an expensive catalog, October 12, 2005
I found almost nothing in this magazine that I liked. But past that, It just seemed like an expensive catalog. You can get those for free. It didn't have anything additional to add.