Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM
Profile for Archie M. > Reviews

Browse

Archie M.'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 468

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Archie M. "Archie" RSS Feed (Yorba Linda, CA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Maverick Men's Relaxed Fit Jean, Dark Stonewash, 38x32
Maverick Men's Relaxed Fit Jean, Dark Stonewash, 38x32
Price: $12.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Argh! Even with a great pricepoint I'm not very impressed, August 17, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First off, I live in denim, mostly Levi 501 Original's but have entertained the occasional 550 Relaxed fit as well as a Wrangler or two. So getting the chance to try the Maverick Men's Relaxed Fit Jean, Dark Stonewash was too tempting to pass up. I usually run between 36X32 to 38X32 and I was offered 38X32 here. Perfect, or so I thought.

First off, when washed for the first time it stained my washer tub blue. Seriously it stained the washer tub blue. We washed it in cold water too. It took about three empty runs to get rid of the stain. But the real issue is the fit is not very good. For 38's it was pretty tight where my Levi's at 38W are just a tad loose. Also the length was so long that I had to double-check to make sure I didn't get 36X36's. Nope, they were tagged at 38X32. Just strange sizing all around

So the bottom line is I'll probably stay away. The price is wonderfully competitive especially when you compare to the name brands, hence the three stars instead of two. But weird sizing plus a color that bleeds easily is just not attractive to me.

Franklin Sports Soft Sport Hoops Set - Superman
Franklin Sports Soft Sport Hoops Set - Superman
2 used & new from $42.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic fun for the youngsters, August 17, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this for my four-year old grandson although putting it on his bedroom door was not workable as it's too high for him. So instead we stuck it on the side board of his bed where he will take shots from across the room, usually not getting close. But the ball is soft so even when he misses so badly he hits the window....no harm, no foul. Of course he's a superhero fan so the Superman image is great as well.

Franklin Sports MLB Yankees Soft Strike City Baseball
Franklin Sports MLB Yankees Soft Strike City Baseball
Price: $7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really a "Collector's" item, plus may be just a bit hard for tee-ball, August 9, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Just received this and am just a bit underwhelmed. First off I am not a Yankees fan so would not have purchased it as a collector. But even though the Amazon description states it's "The perfect collector's piece for any fan" it really just a relatively cheap youth baseball with a Yankee's logo on it. Not sure why anyone would buy it as a collector.

Also in my opinion this is a bit hard and heavy for tee-ball. My four year old grandson is currently in tee-ball and I raised my kid through all levels of the game. This ball would be better for kids just a bit older and have more ability to catch before I would use it for backyard practice. If a four or five year old gets hit by this thing they will get gun-shy every time a ball comes near them.

The Shannara Chronicles: Season 1
The Shannara Chronicles: Season 1
DVD ~ Manu Bennett
Price: $19.99
30 used & new from $11.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall a good production of the Terry Brooks book "The Elfstones of Shannara.", August 4, 2016
I used to love reading the Terry Brooks Shannara books all the way back to his first, The SWORD OF SHANNARA. His first three books were good reads but I felt too predictable and honestly too much of a Tolkien wantabe. In my opinion he really hit his stride with the four-part series The HERITAGE OF SHANNARA. But almost everything he wrote after seemed to be done in almost a template mode. Different characters in different times and possibly different locales but pretty much the same story over and over again. After reading a few subsequent books I kind of lost interest although I did revisit the realm for THE GENESIS OF SHANNARA, which I felt was quite good and different. So I approached the 10-part MTV series not expecting too much.

The series was hard to rate. I kept going back-&-forth between three and four stars, and settled on four, Mostly because I did enjoy binge-watching it. However there are quite a few annoyances in the series which made it a typical Terry Brooks story experience for me. The series is based on his second book, THE ELFSTONES OF SHANNARA. The story is about how the Ellcrys is dying and needs to be reborn. It's only the Ellcrys that keeps hordes of demons out of the Four Lands. Amberle, a young Elven girl, is the last surviving member of the"Chosen", a group assigned to protect the Ellcrys at all costs. It's up to her to take an epic journey with the help of Will Ohmsford to find the Bloodfire. Along the way they of course meet many trials and dangers, including a few of the now released Demons who are trying to prevent her from being successful.

The story is covered well although being a MTV production they had to throw some sex scenes in there just to keep the millennials interested. For the most part the the characters are well developed and interesting. But as with all Terry Brooks stories the plot is predicable, even if you haven't read the books. Also, one character I just could not buy in on is Allanon, played by Manu Bennett. It's not that he didn't do a good job, he did. But to me he didn't act like the Allanon I remember and definitely his appearance is not how I envisioned him to be. It's a small thing but was an annoyance throughout the series.

But in the end I was glad that MTV ordered the next series and I do look forward to watching it. However I'm curious what it will be about. The first series ended with the rebirth of the Ellcrys and the demons locked away again, just like in the book. However the TV series also ended with a bit of a cliffhanger with the rover Eretia captured by trolls and Will on his way to save her while a new evil rises in the Four Lands. The next Brooks book doesn't take place until many years in the future and involved Will's children. So this may be a new adventure that takes place right after the events of the THE ELFSTONES OF SHANNARA which could be interesting and (hopefully) not as predictable. We'll see.

Stanley 33959   ShopMax Power Hub 20-Feet 4-Outlet Cord Reel
Stanley 33959 ShopMax Power Hub 20-Feet 4-Outlet Cord Reel
Price: $26.44
19 used & new from $17.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Functional, August 2, 2016
The
Stanley 33959 ShopMax Power Hub is functional for your basic garage workshop area. The power cord is 20 feet long allowing for flexibility of use throughout the area. The cord is manually retractable so great for storage when not in use. It has four grounded outlets. All things considered it's definitely a good product.

A couple of notes:
1. As I mentioned, the cord is retracted manually by hand-cranking a small lever. I personally prefer this as I have a shop vac that retracts automatically at the push of a button but sometimes decides to try and retract on it's own. With this hub, it stays extended as long as I want it to.

2. The unit is rather bulky. It's not set up to be attached to a wall and the size & shape doesn't really hang well even if you use a couple of hooks. I've resigned myself that it will be lying flat on the ground or workbench when in use.

3. Most important, this is NOT a surge protector. The product states this as does the Amazon page but still not everyone pays attention. Please be aware that this will not protect your electronics from power surges. Personally I'm just using it out in the garage workshop.

Overall, it serves it's purpose well and is well made. It fits my needs perfectly.

Benson Mills Chagall Spillproof Fabric Tablecloth, 60 by 104-Inch, Off White
Benson Mills Chagall Spillproof Fabric Tablecloth, 60 by 104-Inch, Off White
Price: $16.99
3 used & new from $15.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Spillproof is such a silly label......, July 28, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Of course Benson Mills Chagall Spillproof Fabric.tablecloth does not stop spills from happening. In my family nothing does. However the fabric has been treated, much like the "water-resistant" shower curtains of old, to prevent liquid from staining. In other words, it provides you an opportunity to clean the spill up before it seeps into the fabric. It works well and as an added bonus, it has a nice pattern giving it a slightly elegant touch. It's also machine washable as long as you use the gentle cycle.

Overall, a good product that does what it's designed to do.

Tide + Downy Odor Defense Laundry Bundle (52 Loads): Tide Pods Laundry Detergent, Tide Odor Rescue In-Wash Additive, Downy Fresh Protect Beads
Price: $34.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Great economic laundry bundle, July 20, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Awesome products. Has been very effective although I have to say the scent is quite strong. But we can live with that

Franklin Sports Competition 100 Soccer Ball (Size 5, Assorted Colors)
Franklin Sports Competition 100 Soccer Ball (Size 5, Assorted Colors)
Price: $13.56
16 used & new from $9.36

5.0 out of 5 stars A good ball for the price!, June 26, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As a family we're not soccer aficionados. I couldn't tell you what makes one soccer ball better for competition over another. But we have a four year old grandson who is just getting into the game. For kicking around in the yard (and yes, sometimes in the house) this is perfect for him. The ball arrived inflated and so far has held it's inflation well. The cover is actually rather soft, not like the soccer balls I remember.

I have to say from my limited experience with competition soccer this ball would probably not hold up for long. But for our purpose it is a great starter ball to introduce a young child to proper kicking techniques. Fortunately one of my other daughter's fiance knows what he's doing when it comes to soccer so the kid is getting better instruction than I could ever give him.

Lee Men's Super Soft Slim Fit Chino, Black, 38W X 32L
Lee Men's Super Soft Slim Fit Chino, Black, 38W X 32L
Price: $29.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable and great for the business casual environment, June 26, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really like these pants. They are soft, flexible, and very comfortable. I run either 36x32 or 38x32, depending on the manufacturer. In my case I found Lee in the past to size a bit smaller in that a 36 might be a bit too tight. So I went with the 38's and found them slightly a bit more loose than I generally like. But they are workable. I am giving them five stars because I would buy these in 36's in a heartbeat.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars UPDATED REVIEW THREE WEEKS LATER - STAY AWAY FROM THIS FILTER, June 17, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
UPDATED 7/6/2016 (approximately three weeks after installing): As you can see from the review below I had an initial issue with the filter when I installed. My first flush the water came out a dingy gray/brown. As I continued flushing the water did appear to clear up. I still should have just taken the thing out then but didn't.

It is now three weeks later (filter was installed on 6/17/2016) and the water as well as the ice made from the water has taken on a bad taste. It reminds me of the taste we use to get from those original ice makers 30 years ago, almost stale-like. It's hard to describe other than it is not acceptable. We've had this Whirlpool refrigerator for about eight years and have always used the manufacturer's filter. We have had no issues with the water at all. I've now taken out this knockoff filter and replaced it with the manufacturer's. Cost-wise it may save you money but long-term the low quality is just not worth it.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************
The filter fit perfectly which was my initial concern when I was offered a chance to try this. But when I first ran the water through to flush out the system, a recommended 1.5 gallons, the first stream came out a dark gray. I was pouring into a big gulp sized cup so was filling and emptying multiple times. By the third time it had become a light dingy color and by the fifth or sixth time it was clear. To be on the safe side I probably ran over two gallons through it.

I've had this Whirlpool fridge for about eight years and have replaced the filters a number of times. I have never seen that happen before and it concerned me. Our filters normally last between two-to-three months so I'm keeping an eye on it. So far the water tastes fine and has remained clear. But if I get even a hint of an issue I'm pulling it out and replacing with the manufacturer's product.

I will say that as long as it last close to the same amount of time it is definitely cost effective. We'll see how it goes.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20