Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Dolly Parton Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM
Profile for Charlie B. > Reviews

Browse

Charlie B.'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 59

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Charlie B. "Charlie" RSS Feed (Washington, D.C.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Legend of Zelda: Complete Season
Legend of Zelda: Complete Season
DVD ~ Link
Price: $5.00
33 used & new from $2.49

3.0 out of 5 stars You Get What You Pay For, July 23, 2016
Didn't know this came out and bought it for the price of course since I never had the nerve to buy the original release over 10 years ago. This is just a bare-bones addition which is fine with me. My only complaint was in selecting individual episodes, the opening/intro does not play. You can hear it on the menu screen but not for the episode which slightly let me down. Other than that I enjoyed watching the episodes, very nostalgic and took me back to the days when I was younger in elementary school. If I recall, this aired on Fridays during the Super Mario Bros. Super Show. I didn't realize it only had a 13 episode run. Great purchase.

Real Ghostbusters, the - Volume 01 / Real Ghostbusters, the - Volume 02 / Real Ghostbusters, the - Volume 03 / Real Ghostbusters, the - Volume 04 / Real Ghostbusters, the - Volume 05 - Set
DVD ~ Real Ghostbusters
Price: $27.78
13 used & new from $27.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine With Me, July 23, 2016
I don't have a problem with this release at all. As an avid old school cartoon collector, this was like the one series that I had been mulling over for some years about buying because of the price the original Time Life complete series was going for, and then once they stopped selling it, the outrageous prices other sellers were charging. I personally was just not trying to drop the money for a series that I loved so much. So when I randomly just stumbled on this I couldn't resist and pre-ordered it immediately. Now I admit I like some did think it was the complete collection only because the listing was not very specific initially, but I'm cool with getting the second half when it drops in September. It seems fine and better than most bare-bones releases, no complaints.

Unbreakable
Unbreakable
Offered by Lovely Song
Price: $8.99
99 used & new from $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Janet's Most Thorough and Comprehensive Project Since The Velvet Rope, October 4, 2015
This review is from: Unbreakable (Audio CD)
Janet Jackson has nothing to prove at this point in her career, and this album serves more as a manual than anything else she's ever provided in her extensive catalog. "Unbreakable" the word alone has several meanings: it defines her career, her bond with her fans, her longevity, her tenacity, her love...so much more that can more than likely never be summed up in just a review of an album. The album works because of its introspective qualities and lyrical content, something Janet has abandoned since the "All For You" era, and it's something that has always enabled her music to connect with a broader audience. We all could relate to the independence of "Control," the social message of "Rhythm Nation," the complexity of love on "janet.," the discomfort of sadness on "The Velvet Rope," and freedom and hope of new beginnings on "All For You." And even though she may have lost her footing with the projects in between this one, the public yearned to know what Janet was thinking, what she had to say, because when Janet speaks, we listen.

For the most part, Janet and long time collaborators Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis craft an album that is mature and befitting of a woman her age, who is comfortable with who she is as person as well as musically. Sonically the album is a throwback to classic R&B and pop, an acknowledgement of her musical roots, while expanding and incorporating other genres. Janet takes risks on this album by turning her back on "what will sell" and instead just coming from the heart and owning the clearly new found spiritual space she is in. Her voice sounds more crisp and pure than probably any of her other albums. Lyrically and creatively, Janet reminds us of who she is as a writer and creator. The album i divided into two "sides" like a record; she makes Side 1 and 2 known by announcing it at the beginning on "Unbreakable," and then again just before "Dream Maker/Euphoria" with record skips creating an old-school feel. Her ability to use double entendres and play with words is most effective in songs like "Dammn Baby" and "The Great Forever." "Dammn Baby" seems to be an observation of those in the music industry as an industry veteran/legend/icon basically schools on what artists need to do in order to be successful, however the chorus can represent either the reaction they will get if they follow her advice ("Watch 'em all go dammn, baby!") or what happens when they aren't following her advice (and essentially fall off from the scene--"Watch 'em all go [away], dammn, baby..."). In response to media scrutiny over relationships, such as speculation over her million-dollar wedding that was later confirmed to be false as she announced that she already married, in "The Great Forever" during the bridge a "sneeze" followed by a whisp "Bless you" from Janet is an obvious Beyonce reference/metaphor ("I sneezed on the beat/and the beat got sicker") who has often been under the same scrutiny with her relationship with rapper Jay-Z; always being a proponent in the past to how the media rips celebrity couples to shreds like her friends the late Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown who she has referenced to in the past in relation to her relationships then, it seems like the song is offering a stern stamp of approval for those who are experiencing this to just keep on and keep striving for the great forever. And of course starting the track off and again at the close of the bridge cooing "LUTFA" (leave us the f*** alone) doesn't hurt. Songs like "Shoulda Known Better" and "Black Eagle" offer self examination at our parts in the grande scheme of things on a social level as explored in "Rhythm Nation," "janet." and "The Velvet Rope" as she challenges us to put ourselves in someone else's shoes. Gone are the sometimes unnecessary signature interludes before and after songs and rather placements where they count, sometimes within songs such as "Unbreakable" and stand alones such as "Promise" and "Dream Maker/Euphoria."

The album kicks of with the melodic love letter "Unbreakable" which sets the tone for the album. It's a mellow, chill old-school R&B groove that finds Janet experimenting with her vocal range in some of her best vocals in years. "BURNITUP!" is a return to her dance R&B tracks featuring Missy Elliot that is instantly club ready. Janet manages to mask message over another club banger in, "Dammn Baby," and provides a fierce and angry plea about personal life v. celebrity in "The Great Forever" which is in the same vein of some of more big, rock tracks from past albums: very dramatic and huge. Janet's tone and social message ring beautiful in the light, airy pop "Shoulda Known Better," and her wispy, sensual singing voice is used for good this go round with the confessional and acoustic "After You Fall." The upbeat and relaxing "Broken Hearts Heal," an ode to her late brother Michael, is far from a lament and instead a trip down memory lane with its perfect harmonizing on the chorus. This is just a prelude to the infectious and dance/deep house "Night" which takes the potential she had for these types tracks in the previous "Slo Love" and "Rock With U" to the next level. Side One concludes with "No Sleeep" featuring J. Cole, the lead single, which is very reminiscent of "That's the Way Love Goes" with its laid-back vibe. Side Two begins with the very soulful and 70s-inspired "Dream Maker/Euphoria" which plays like an extended interlude before slipping into "2 B Loved," another R&B banger. Janet is her best in the very pop "Take Me Away," and provides a soothing Latin-inspired "Promise" and "Lesson Learned." "Black Eagle" is very spiritual and another song with a message that appears to be two songs meshed into one once the drop hits towards the second part of the song. "Well Traveled" provides another pop certified hit, very big on production and has Janet for the first time experimenting with world music/world beat. Closing the album, "Gon' B Alright" is a funky jam which again provides another message of love providing substance when times get hard which almost sounds like a left over Jackson 5 session that she has no problem owning.

It's safe to say that Janet has once again created a masterpiece without even trying. Returning to her roots and ignoring industry standards shows that Janet's not over it, she's just older, wiser, and wants to share what she's been through, seen, and learned since her last studio album. This new, reinvented Janet that is clearly in a fresher, spiritual space invites long time listeners and fans to grow with her as she has grown with them. Filled with brass and confidence, "Unbreakable" defies expectations and challenges the status quo, solidifying why, just shy of 50, Janet is still a legend and an icon, and will always remain relevant. And here is another of her blueprints.

Vivienne Westwood Men's Sword Classic T-Shirt,  Pink, 52/X-Large
Vivienne Westwood Men's Sword Classic T-Shirt, Pink, 52/X-Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Westwood piece for an exceptional price, August 5, 2015
Another great Westwood piece for an exceptional price. The fit is extremely small, so buyer beware or know your Westwood. I wear a Medium and the XL which I ordered fits to that.

Vivienne Westwood Men's Print Felpa Hollywood Sweat,  Black, 52/X-Large
Vivienne Westwood Men's Print Felpa Hollywood Sweat, Black, 52/X-Large

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Westwood, August 5, 2015
A classic Westwood print flecked on an easy to wear sweatshirt. The insane sale price made this one piece I just couldn't resist. Unlike most Westwood pieces which tend to fit one-two sizes smaller than the actual tag size, this sweatshirt fits about a size smaller than the tag size. I got an XL when I probably should've gotten a large for a more snuggied fit but it still works.

Me. I Am Mariah...The Elusive Chanteuse
Me. I Am Mariah...The Elusive Chanteuse
Offered by Supply Chain Direct
Price: $11.18
88 used & new from $3.80

3.0 out of 5 stars Mariah: "You Don't Know What to Do", May 27, 2014
This album is very uneven, and as a die-hard Mariah Carey fan/lamb for life, it bothers me when she does releases like this. Since "Butterfly" she'll miss the mark for the subsequent album ("Rainbow," "Charmbracelet," "E=MC2") but come back strong thereafter ("The Emancipation of Mimi," "Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel"). This to me represents another one of those "she lost it" moments: the album as a whole is not cohesive and she tries to use a formulaic approach that quite frankly hasn't worked to her advantage since the late 90s.

Examples of this include in particular the slow, Gospel-tinged tracks such as "Cry." "Camouflage," and "Heavenly." Mariah in the 90s would have murdered these tracks, but the Mariah of today whose vocals are not as strong as they used to be a decade plus ago leaves you hungry and wanting more; it feels like there is something missing, and throwing in [recycled] headnotes just never saves the day. The George Michael remake of "One More Try" is another example, i.e. her propensity to historically throw in a cover on an album. I had no idea at first what I was listening to, then I realized, and I felt let down because she just never pushes herself vocally where I know good and well she can go on a track like that.

Another issue with the formula is the hip-hop/R&B/urban tracks. At some point Mariah needed to be reminded that she was embraced for this during the "Daydream" and "Butterfly"-eras because it was a departure for her, vocally she was immaculate, and it worked because producers back then were actually creative compared to today. She has never been "that" R&B/Hip-Hop vocal artist, like a Mary J. Blige, but she seems to believe that she is when she tries to do these contemporary R&B/Hip-Hop tracks and adds insult to injury by throwing a rapper into the mix. "Dedicated" and "You Don't Know What to Do" actually aren't that bad, but she adds rappers Nas and Wale respectively into the mix and the appeal is gone. Maybe as a remix, but not as the actual track. It would be wise for her to stick to traditional R&B such as on "The Emanicipation of Mimi" and her other songs of the past and throw in something like that for good measure rather than try to go there every single time. Or better yet, not forsake her pop roots.

But there are highlights. Tracks like "#Beautiful" and "Meteorite" are excellently crafted pop tracks and throwbacks to her roots as an artist. Why "#Beautiful" never took off like her previous singles puzzles me still to this day. "Faded" produced by Mike Will Made-It is impressive at it shows his versatility and puts Mariah in a comfortable spot vocally, similar to another standout "Supernatural" featuring vocals from her adorable children. "Thirsty" and especially "Money" are two of the hip-hop/r&b tracks that actually work, while "Make It Look Good" revisits the similar sound of "Its A Wrap" from "Memoirs..." "You're Mine (Eternal)" should not have been a single; it's one of those songs from an album that you know is too good to be single worthy because only a real fan or listener of music could understand how great of a track it is, but unfortunately it too failed upon release.

The bonus cuts in my opinion are unnecessary but clearly for the fans. "It's a Wrap" featuring Mary J. Blige is delicious, while "Betcha Gon' Know" featuring R. Kelly is just okay. It would've been nicer to see the other cuts from "Angels Advocate" such as "Inseperable" with Trey Songz and "Angels Cry" with Ne-Yo on here instead. "The Art of Letting Go" was another misstep in terms of singles, and vocally as well as production wise all over the place. Even more unnecessary is the "explanation" of the album featured in promos as the final track.

I knew this project was in trouble when Mariah kept releasing underperforming singles. I also sensed further problems with her Def Jam partnership when "Angels Advocate" was nixed. I don't know what's going on, if the powers that be aka the label are trying to sabatoge her, or if Mariah has just lost all sense of direction, but I hope to some extent that she will get it right on her next or future project because this is not her worse, but definitely not her best.

Chipmunk Adventure BD Combo [Blu-ray]
Chipmunk Adventure BD Combo [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Ross Bagdasarian Jr
3 used & new from $117.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected a bit more from this latest release, April 30, 2014
It's sad when you buy this movie every time it comes out to have it in all video formats like myself (when I was younger, we recorded it from a movie channel, played the VHS tape out until it could play no more, then bought the newer VHS release in the mid 90s; I myself purchased the DVD years later as an adult), but this movie just never gets old. There are so many "moments" in this film that every time I watch I find myself literally losing it with laughter. From Ms. Miller's presence to Alvin's very intense and "I'm over it" expressions, this movie was hilarious. And in my 30s now, I still can remember every song and line verbatim.

I thought the Blu-ray transfer was great, much clearer than the previous DVD version I had. The only thing I didn't like about this release is that there were no real extras. The little bonus clip that is included did nothing for me, when the last release that came out, the DVD version, included the full movie soundtrack, which was a major step up from the original VHS release which only included a bonus CD of about three songs from the movie.

It would've been nice to see a bit more as a hardcore fan of the movie, but at least there is a clearer version to enjoy for years to come!

12 Years a Slave [Blu-ray]
12 Years a Slave [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Chiwetel Ejiofor
Price: $7.88
83 used & new from $2.09

3.0 out of 5 stars I Fell For the Hype, March 11, 2014
I am fully aware that movies affect people in different ways, but "12 Years a Slave" just did not do it for me. After months of hearing all the buzz and all the hype, finally having the opportunity to watch it, I just was not that thrilled or impressed. Now don't get me wrong, it was beautifully shot, the cinematography had me floored, but after I got past that, I found that the acting was just average and the script paltry at best. There were no standout scenes or performances in my opinion. Chiwetel Ejiofor was good, but he wasn't great, which showed in his loss of the Academy Award. Lupita Nyongo'o was okay, but those she was up against in her respected category of Best Supporting Actress from what I've read may have been slightly better. As long as "12 Years" was, the movie was painstakingly slow. Movies in this genre such as "Roots" and "Amistad" kept a steady pace and had several pivotal scenes throughout, but this movie almost made me lose interest several times due to its lack of ability to engage.

For me, this movie proves the power of the Hollywood machine at its best. All it takes is the right people behind a film, namely Brad Pitt and his Plan B company, and a campaign like no other that I've frankly never seen before, and the average can become exceptional. We've seen this movie before, Hollywood has made this movie before, so what are they telling us that we don't already know or get? But a movie like "Fruitvale Station" that depicts these same ideas and misconceptions and shows that they are still happening today as opposed to 150-something years ago gets no recognition or put on a pedestal to ignite social change. Definitely there is some work that needs to be done, but until then, I'll just say this movie was okay.

G  I  R  L
G I R L
Price: $6.99
165 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Like It, March 11, 2014
This review is from: G I R L (Audio CD)
I'm really feeling this album. I have everything N*E*R*D and by Pharrell equally, and this does not disappoint. I've really noticed more than anything on this album that Pharrell's voice sounds better than I've ever heard all these years. The album as a whole reminds me of The Neptunes early work with their own N*E*R*D albums and artists like Kelis. It's very funky and retro, with that old school vibe.

Tracks like "Hunter" and "Gush" really build the momentum of the album following the appetizers "Marilyn Monroe" and "Brand New" featuring Justin Timberlake. Then of course the album wouldn't be complete without "Happy" which appears to be his biggest solo track to date. "Come Get It Bae" really gets the party started and sounds like his Part 2 version of Miley Cyrus's "#Getitright." "Gust of Wind" is very mellow and cool and "Lost Queen" just sounds like something I can't ever say I've ever heard before, something that only Pharrell could come up with. Love "Know Who You Are" featuring Alicia Keys, it has that chill, laidback Caribbean vibe, and "It Girl" sounds like something he's done before that we've never heard before.

Overall, I'm not impressed, it was expected, and Pharrell delivered! I hope this album and the success of "Happy" allow a new set of fans to get into and appreciate his musical prowess because he is just beyond talented and "G I R L" proves it.

Artpop
Artpop
Offered by insomniacsonline
Price: $4.92
244 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Haters Gon' Hate, December 3, 2013
This review is from: Artpop (Audio CD)
I was not a fan of "The Fame," and I didn't get on the "Fame Monster" bandwagon until after the EP's popularity had fizzled. "Born This Way" came out and I was thoroughly impressed, so I had high expectations for "ARTPOP." At first listen I felt like "This is not Born This Way, I'll pass" but then I kept getting into it more and more and my appreciation grew. While I can admit that it sounds nothing like "Born This Way" and is not as lyrically and conceptually groundbreaking like its predecessor, "ARTPOP" feels more like an experimental effort and return to Gaga's dance and EDM roots, which is simply alright with me.

Of the more progressive EDM tracks, I love "Aura," and "Swine." From beginning to end, these tracks go off immediately and grab your attention. "Donatella" and "Gypsy" even, she holds back on these more modern dance tracks in a good way, but it works in my opinion.

When she gives me that rock edge, "MANiCURE" and "Mary Jane Holland" satisfy. You just want to let loose and let go, and it's expressed through the lyrics.

That throwback [David] Bowie she delivers on "Venus," "ARTPOP," "Fashion!" and "Applause" is so nostalgic I just lose it every time these tracks come on. You're listening and wondering if the material is really hers because it sounds so authentic and classic, vintage even.

Her hybrid of Dance and Pop are her finest works to me with "G.U.Y." as well as "Sexxx Dreams," more so because a casual listener will probably ignore the R&B tinges in each of these, though it is most prominent in "Jewels N' Drugs" (an odd and seemingly out of place track on the album if you ask me) and "Do What U Want."

"Dope" is the only song that I'm not too in love with as much as I try. Maybe eventually, but just not right now.

Overall I think the album is solid. Does it seem a bit rushed and not as thought through as her previous efforts? I think so. Is it her best? I guess it depends on who you're asking, as I've mentioned, to me, "Born This Way" was a heavy hitter, but this isn't far behind. I've admired Gaga the most for her lyrical content, as well as her musical talent. So for me, the lack of depth of the songs was just slightly disappointing. Conceptually, I was also unsure, but upon further listen, most notably the many different layers and meanings to the songs (as art can be, an interpretation not necessarily of the artist, but of the viewer, listener, etc.), I began to see what it was all about.

This album truly isn't about trying to please, gain a number one single, etc., apparent in her choice of the first couple of singles that have been released (if she wanted that, we might have gotten "G.U.Y." as her reintroduction, it seems the most radio-friendly despite its suggestiveness). And I don't think that this will be a mainstream success since the appeal of who she is has faded, and is apparent by how fickle the North American market has responded to this project. But what I do know is she's an artist, and you either appreciate it, or sit back and hate because you just don't undersatnd or get it.

And this listener appreciates it. Paws up.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6