Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports STEM
Profile for J.M. > Reviews

Browse

J.M.'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 114

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J.M. "Mr. DIY" RSS Feed (NC)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Western Digital Caviar Blue 320 GB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive 3.5 Inch, 16 MB Cache, 7200 RPM SATA II WD3200AAKS
Offered by Finity India -Fast & Free Shipping
Price: $19.90
34 used & new from $10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a champ, August 11, 2014
I bought this HDD because I’m finally getting around to putting Win7 this machine as I have some of my others (vista is getting phased out as ME did and XP finally did). This computer had (well still has) the bigger WD6400AAKS as the sole HDD. The 640GB one is going on 5 years old now and has gotten hours of use on an almost daily basis. I still intend to use it as mass storage, I’ve just downgraded to the WD3400AAKS HDD as much of what I have does not need to be on the OS partition. Also, I prefer that each HDD has its own dedicated main OS and partitions. Helps keep things simple and clean that way for what I do.
I had 64-bit Vista on it and run numerous things. Simulation/design programs, VMware and Virtual pc, music, videos, networking (to a degree), DVR with cable tuner card you name it. I used the HDD for everything you use HDDs for. To put it simply, I’m surprised that particular one is still working with no issues lol. A lot of that has to do with proper data maintenance and not straight up abusing the thing (that has A LOT to do with a lot of things computer related).
I’ve used the blue series from WD since it came out and they have been EXTREAMLY dependable for normal personal use (and way beyond at times).
It’s like this:
If you occasionally use your computer to work on the office stuff while you facebook and kick some tunes in the background get the WD Green
If you’re like me and occasionally do a little bit of everything from simple email to hardcore AutoCad or National Instruments MultiSim get the WD Blue.
If you’re a freelance graphics engineer for Pixar or Lucas Films while you host a gaming server you might want to look into the WD Black.
Regardless of which you pick, it’s always imperative that you pare your HDD to the existing chipset (motherboard) or the original HDD. Collect as much info about what you actually need, based on what you actually do in relation to the other hardware you have.
For example (unrealistic) upgrading from a 1.6 GHz dual core to a 4.1GHz octal core would be virtually pointless. The original hardware in this situation would not even begin to make use of such a hardware upgrade. Going from 1.6GHz dualcore to a 2.1~2.3GHz dualcore would be a more competent upgrade in that situation.

UltraFire CREE XML T6 LED Flashlight 5 Mode Zoomable Torch (Flashlight ONLY)
UltraFire CREE XML T6 LED Flashlight 5 Mode Zoomable Torch (Flashlight ONLY)
Offered by SaturnMarket
Price: $8.89
10 used & new from $3.10

5.0 out of 5 stars It's plenty bright, August 6, 2014
Length:: 0:46 Mins

This is from a review I did on this exact flashlight from a different section of amazon. Not all info may apply to this specific offer on amazon. I have also added 3 pictures showing the High/Med/Low. Please note in the pictures that the bat is the 4200mAH Ultrafire 18650 at approximately 75%~85% charge level.

***bat and lux test***

Decided to get some raw data for the flashlight.

Some info will be repeated further in the review

*18~22 mA draw
*initial lux 680~720
*Run time @ 35%> light output 3hr+

Notes:
***Lux meter measurements @ approximately 1 foot with focus at max spread "X2000". Which produces a lit area of about 1.5 feet dia. 4200mA UltraFire batteries where fresh out of the supplied charger and light was in 73 degree F room with still air.
***Strobe and S.O.S. not tested
***Output is not regulated, the light levels do slowly fall in accordance with the bat drain.
***AAA Alkaline, Ni-Cad, Ni-MH and Li-Ion negligible performance/too expensive compared to 18650 Li-Ion bat (best use AAA if you just plan to use it intermittently).

modes: High/Med/Low/Strobe/S.O.S Button can be pressed half way to cycle the modes. Just like for a digi cam when auto-focusing.

Pro:
The construction and performance of it seems to be on par with any other light out there for it's given features and attributes (but way less expensive). The "zoom" is awesome. It's like having a noticeably brighter Mag light that fits in the palm of your hand.

Con:
The quality however is lacking in certain areas. For one the rather soft plastic lens. While very clear, would scratch and gouge easily. The circuitry is basic and allows what seems to be unregulated flow of current to the emitter on high. The amp hour rating of the bats are totally off as well. I should have been able to get a solid 2.5~3 hours of effective run-time on med out of a 200 mA draw from a 4200mAH bat. The bats are more realistically around 1800~2000mAH.

This is a nice little light (for the price). In the video you see me shine the light at a house across the street (about 150 feet away). This is on the high setting. Even on the low setting when focused out to a point I could still clearly make out the features of the house. On the high setting I can clearly make out objects out to approximately 400~500 feet. The light looks dim as the video quality has been reduced and my phone does not record low light levels with realistic contrast and brightness.

I would Highly recommend ***NOT*** using the high setting unless you really need it. Not that the light gets excessively hot but the amp draw is a little over half the rated amp hour of the 4.2AH 3.7V Li-ion bats you get with it. Not sure if that's good for the emitter long term ether. More immediately, is not good for bat life. The med setting seems to draw around 150mA and was still plenty bright enough for general use. The other settings would not realistically effect bat life. The're likely not going to be used often or they don't draw enough current to be worried about it (low only drew about 15mA).

The 3 AAA provides the appropriate voltage but take note that the bats are in series to get that. This reduces the nominal max available current draw to the weakest battery of the 3 (and no more than 700mA in my case as you're about to read). I even used my 700mAH rechargeable energizes but it didn't seem to want to let it run above low for any real length of time. Plus the AAA just don't produce that pure power output that separates this from the $3 single LED ones you get at the hardware store.

The charger you get with it seems to be the appropriate constant voltage type. With a dead bat/s in the charger and plugged in, the light will be a reddish-orange and will slowly fade to all green as it charges. It's not the most sophisticated charger but it works likes it's supposed to. One dead Ultrafire 4.2AH bat took about 4~5 hours or so to charge with the supplied charger (assume 10 or more hours for two bats).

All the tech stuff aside, I will certainly be telling people about this little light and encouraging them to check it out before deciding what to buy in regards to expensive lights.

Wahl Professional Super Taper II Hair Clipper #8470-500 with Accessories
Wahl Professional Super Taper II Hair Clipper #8470-500 with Accessories
Price: $51.81
21 used & new from $49.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, July 30, 2014
This is an excellent electric clipper. The taper adjustment allows to get a very even and smooth end result when free handing. The motor is easily adjustable and barely gets warm. It's relatively easy to clean, all you need to do is pop out a couple screws and blades come apart. The blade attachments don't feel cheap and gather hair effectively.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absurdly bright, July 30, 2014
Length:: 0:46 Mins

***UPDATE 8/9/2014***
See customer images

*bat and lux test*

Decided to get some raw data for the flashlight.

Some info will be repeated further in the review

Notes:
***Strobe and S.O.S. not tested

Pro:

Con:

Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 29, 2015 6:53 AM PDT

Fluke 803293 11 Amp 1000 Volt Fluke Digital Multimeter Replacement Fuse
Fluke 803293 11 Amp 1000 Volt Fluke Digital Multimeter Replacement Fuse
Offered by TTL Components
Price: $6.28
17 used & new from $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Exact replacement (Amazon), April 20, 2012
(See customer image)

This fuse is labeled as "DMM-11A/1000VAC/DC/IR 20kA"

"(D)igital (M)ulti(m)eter - 11 amps continuous current / 1000 volt alternating current and direct current rated / 20,000 amp (I)nstant (R)eaction (or the current it's rated to instantly blow at)"

This is the exact same thing that is in fluke right now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent trimmer (With pictures), April 20, 2012
I've included some pictures of what it looks like and what to expect to actually do when you put line on it after reading the instructions. I've also included a few pics of what "I" use it for.

This trimmer is replacing my Troy-Bilt TB20CS. It was just too short for me; this one seems to be a good copy in terms of attachments, weight and power abilities. One thing I noticed is the fairly idiot proof starting procedure. It uses typical half choke/full choke start/run. It's a tad heavier than most of the curved shafts but it's got about an extra 6 inches of length which is just what I need being around 6 foot tall. I really prefer the curved shaft because they are more controllable, lighter and the orientation of your arms and hands feels more comfortable.

Ok onto what I think :D

This is a nice little trimmer. It seems a bit under powered compared to the Troy-Bilt, but it has a noticeably larger cutting diameter for the engine size (a lot bigger then the Troy-Bilt). I figure at some point i'll modify the line length blade to be shorter like the Troy was.

When I first started to use it I felt a very small, but powerful vibration. It turns the way they wound the line on at the factory was causing a noticeable imbalance at the head. I re-spooled it with my stuff and it subsided back what I would consider normal for a trimmer.

The safety throttle (see customer image) doesn't really get in the way and it's comfortable. I know when I was looking at them that was something I DID NOT want, but the way this it's done on this one feels pretty right.

It has a catalytic muffler, which produces A LOT of heat, the first time I used it I thought the thing was about to melt. I read the instructions a little further and found out that it's just going to run hot because of this. On a hot, hot day, it might get uncomfortable to use if you rest your arm on the housing like I do, but it's not anywhere near what I would call a dangerous heat.

Just for kicks, I detached and reattached the trim head several times to see the level of difficulty. If you own a dremal tool and flex shaft you get the idea of what that's like. For me it's not too hard, just make sure the shaft lines up somewhat then push it on and tighten the clamp.

I don't use a trimmer often, but when I do, I REALLY use it (see customer images). So I know this thing will get the job done. Only time will tell if will keep getting the job done.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 1, 2014 8:44 AM PDT

Gyros 46-92012 10-Piece High Speed Steel Cutter Set - Titanium Nitride Coated
Gyros 46-92012 10-Piece High Speed Steel Cutter Set - Titanium Nitride Coated
Price: $25.24
4 used & new from $20.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cutters (see customer pics), April 12, 2012
I expected to get perfectly straight, sharp and consistently cut HHS cutter bits. What I got was exactly that. These little cutters are right on par with dremel brand cutters at roughly 1/2~2/3 the price. I was able to fine tune the position in the collet for a perfectly concentric rotation. When using them I get a nice ultra high pitch screaming sound. That lets me know that most if not all the teeth are making contact every time, not just one or two during a bump. I will admit the round ones and tapered one have a fairly aggressive tooth, but that's what 30k RPM's are for. If you'er looking for cutter bits to fit a dremel or other high speed rotary tool that excepts 1/8" shafts I HIGHLY recommend this set. I personally would not use them too much on hardwood or harder/abrasive metals (oak, poplar, ash/steel, nickel, cast iron). Remember they are HHS not carbide and wont last vary long in tough materials.

If I could find a carbide set like these at this price, i'd give them 50 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for extending the socket, March 26, 2012
I don't know of any other piratical way of extending a mogul socket father into a hood. Basically all you need is some 1/2" Rigid metal conduit or 1/2" heavy wall plumbing pipe (conduit and heavy wall pipe use the same standardized tapered thread. Usually Home depot or Lowes will have short sections of plumbing pipe that they can also cut to length and restore the thread on. The best part is you only need one if attaching to a standard box with knockout wholes; just get a couple of lock rings for the end of pipe that will be interning the box. If you're attaching to conduit body (LB for example) then you don't need anything else other than a short section of threaded pipe. This is a great way to knock about $20 off the cost for a socket Mount for most adjustable hoods.

RWS Superdome .177 Cal, 8.3 Grains, Domed, 500ct
RWS Superdome .177 Cal, 8.3 Grains, Domed, 500ct
Offered by GPG Armory
Price: $13.95
2 used & new from $12.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Consistent, March 26, 2012
I have found these pellets to be the most consistent pellets gun to gun. They load consistently, they shoot predictable for their weight and they are spotless when you get them. I usually shoot cross man, which are a good brand and are made with reasonable quality but are vary dirty. The gum up the gun quick usually within a couple hundred shots. I'm no stranger to cleaning pellets (I've cleaning hundreds of cans) but the occasional shooter usually doesn't like that.

Give these pellets a try, they are a vary good all around pellet. I've found depending on the gun they may not be THE MOST accurate. I have found that they shoot predictably in a wide variety of guns.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great beat-um-up set, February 23, 2012
This is by no means a quality set. As the title describes, it's a very good selection of "it will work" bits. The wood box alone would probably cost me about half what this set is worth if I were to make it myself. I was quite surprised to find that all of the bits where straight and true enough to be used practically. The high speed steel bits where usable and straight, but not cut very well. The stones did not seem much different than the dremal brand. The diamond bits where actually all pretty straight, and a quick test on a quartz crystal resulted in predictable material removal. The metal brushes where a little funky looking, but work just fine. The plastic brushes tend to flair out quite a bit around the 10,000 rpm (arpox) range, but I never use them that quick anyway. If you are used to dremel accessories you might think these bits are sub-par if you get them. I've found and used many brands in my multi-pro and unless im doing some high quality work I can usually make them work the way I want them to. All and all, you're getting a lot of usable stuff that is good enough to do what you want it to do.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2014 5:35 AM PDT