Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for O. Merce Brown > Reviews

Browse

O. Merce Brown's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1663
Top Reviewer Ranking: 272

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

O. Merce Brown "Ms. O. Khannah-Brown" RSS Feed (Twopeas, WA)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
EZ-Grip™ Nail Brush - Cleans Nails and Hands (6 Pack)
EZ-Grip™ Nail Brush - Cleans Nails and Hands (6 Pack)
Offered by Sterling Closeouts
Price: $6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive, But Useful Nail Brush, June 23, 2016
*****
I love these! They are really, really small (the actual brush part is only 1 3/4 inches wide and the bristles themselves only 3/8 inches long) and they are very inexpensively made. But that's what I'm looking for. I want to use these at my sink for a few weeks or months (I'll see how long they last, but they are inexpensive), and then when they are splayed and worn out discard them. They are soft too, which I like. I would only use them for my nails, not my hands, as they are too small and impractical for that.

If you are looking for something elegant and long-lasting, look elsewhere, but for heavy family use and regular replacement, I don't know how they can be beaten for the price.

Also, even though they are inexpensively made, they aren't falling apart or poorly made either. Just lower quality semi-disposable for people looking for that for a great price. Easy to pack for travel and affordable enough to keep at every sink.

Highly recommended, knowing their specifications.
*****

Rubbermaid Commercial Products 1902465 Executive Janitorial Housekeeping Quick Cart (Large)
Price: Click here to see our price
25 used & new from $204.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Super-High Quality and Portable Mobile Cart, June 12, 2016
*****
This is a super-high quality, yet relatively light carrier for cleaning products, or for any other collection of supplies that would lend itself to a mobile-type of organization like this. So things like pet grooming supplies, craft supplies, or anything that needed large areas to store supplies along with some minor smaller areas. There are lots of different types of pockets (many of which are adjustable) and storage in this one carrier. My favorite is the removable small carry caddy--it's reinforced and probably on its own would sell for forty or fifty dollars.

The entire cart is very sturdy. It is also easy to clean; it includes a removable inner liner that is treated with Teflon fabric protector and if that's not enough, Rubbermaid offers additional replacement liners for a cost.

It has the ability to be locked (although you need to supply the lock itself). It weighs 18 pounds (but for its size that is light) and can hold a maximum of 60 pounds (important!). Its outer dimensions are 16.50" x 14.25" x 25.00".

I don't know how you'd make this better without making it much heavier and less portable. It's a great solution to many commercial, small-business, and household problems.

*****

Best Price Plus Line Design Memory Foam Folding Storage Ottoman Bench with Faux Leather, 45", Brown
Offered by Best Price Mattress
Price: $47.99
5 used & new from $40.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive, But Decent Ottoman, Will Blend With Nice Decor!, June 12, 2016
*****
This is a likable and very, very inexpensive ottoman. I use it in my bedroom like an expensive chest (one that I could never afford), but even though it is so cheap it isn't obvious, so it works! I think that based on the price, this is an ottoman that could be used in lots of places for storage and look classy (as long as you don't check it super-closely). Even so, it's not really poor quality, just inexpensive, and so it will definitely store clothes and other light items easily. Yes, you can sit on it, but I want mine to last a long time, and so I wouldn't; if you are planning on using it for seating you could exceed the weight limit (250 pounds) and it could collapse.

One of the things I like best about it is that even though it's heavy, I can assemble it myself. It literally pops up into place. You arrange a few things that snap into place or lay into place and you're done in 5 minutes, faster than it takes to open and break down the box it comes in.

This is a great buy, and something that will go with many different decors. My bedroom has some nice furniture in it, so people will probably assume it's a several hundred dollar ottoman (again, unless they inspect it closely), which works for me. It would be great if there were more products like this!

OXO Good Grips 3-Blade Spiralizer with StrongHold Suction
OXO Good Grips 3-Blade Spiralizer with StrongHold Suction
Price: $39.99
20 used & new from $39.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Spiralizer for Everyone, Even Those of Us Who Are Not Great Cooks (Like Me)!, June 12, 2016
*****
This is my first spiralizer in many decades, so I can't really compare it to others, but I can tell you that I cannot imagine how anyone could make working with a spiralizer any easier than OXO. It is fun to use, and my favorite features are the suction cups (the old-time ones I've used didn't have those) and the color coding of the blades. I also like how fast it works. I am not a cook, and I need something easy like this if I'm going to use it at all!

This spiralizer will indeed work with harder vegetables like sweet potatoes (uncooked, of course, and cut in half unless very small) and and onions, as well as with zucchinis. I haven't tried the following yet, but the following produce can be spiralized also (according to the instruction book that accompanies the spiralizer): cucumbers (my next venture), regular white potatoes, apples, butternut squash, carrots, cabbage, beets, peppers, daikon radishes, parsnips, pears, celeriac, and broccoli stems.

The green blade does a spaghetti cut so that you can substitute various veggies for grain-based spaghetti. The orange blade cuts a fettuccine cut, and the red blade does a ribbon cut (kind of like thinly sliced pieces that are all connected). I got a book to go with my spiralizer, called Inspiralized: Turn Vegetables into Healthy, Creative, Satisfying Meals. It has advanced recipes and creative ideas in it. I mostly read it for the ideas and then use the inspiration for my own simple but creative recipes.

All spiralizer blades are dishwasher safe but the blade box (that holds the three blades) should be hand washed.

*****

The How-To Book of the Mass: Everything You Need to Know but No One Ever Taught You
by Michael A. Dubruiel
Price: $11.46
81 used & new from $2.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Easy, Step-By-Step Guide to the Mass, June 12, 2016
*****
This is a step-by-step, moment-by-moment explanation of the Roman Catholic Mass written in a simple, easy-to-read style that truly anyone can wrap their minds around and understand. It includes lots of customs also, things I haven't seen elsewhere. There is an appendix of prayers that can be said before Mass, after Mass, and a study guide that can be used alone or in a group. There is also an appendix or recommended resources for learning more, including books, DVD's, CD's, and web sites.

The real strength of this particular book, and what differentiates it from others, is that it is really easy to read. You don't have to be familiar with the Bible or the Catechism, as references are generally included inline in the text. And everything is very clearly and simply presented.

I would recommend this for any Catholic, especially new Catholics, who want to understand the Mass better.

Confession: Five Sentences That Will Heal Your Life
Confession: Five Sentences That Will Heal Your Life
by Tom Curran
Price: $15.95
47 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars For Those Who Don't Understand Why Confession is an Amazing Gift!, June 12, 2016
****
This is a book that explains in simple, basic language that anyone can understand--why Confession is a huge gift to Roman Catholics and why it is so important to go. In fact, why if you don't go, you're missing out! I would recommend it for Catholics who need a more basic book than Scott Hahn's book on Confession: Lord, Have Mercy: The Healing Power of Confession. This book, unlike Scott Hahn's book, is great for those folks who won't look up Scriptures or are unfamiliar with the Bible and perhaps who don't have a copy of the Catechism--a basic Catholic layperson who has strayed away from Confession and really sees no need to go back. Or perhaps for the person who wants to go back but isn't sure how to go about it, doesn't know what to expect. It's an easy but comprehensive read for adults of any age.

How God Hauled Me Kicking and Screaming Into the Catholic Church
How God Hauled Me Kicking and Screaming Into the Catholic Church
by Kevin Lowry
Price: $12.39
49 used & new from $8.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest, Interesting Story of Conversion--A Short, Easy Read for Anyone Curious About the Catholic Church, June 12, 2016
*****
I loved this short, entertaining, and clear story of the author's journey into the Roman Catholic Church! The author is the son of a Presbyterian minister, and not a particularly committed Christian as a young person. He never expected, however, given his background, to be compelled to turn to the Catholic Church...there is till so much prejudice, ignorance and bigotry among some Christians of other denominations and the author was someone full of these sentiments. It is a fun read, not dry or instructive at all.

The first half of the book is the author's testimony and the second half is entitled: "Turning Stumbling Blocks Into Stepping-Stones--or How All Those Weird Things About Catholicism Turn Out to Make Sense and Actually Bring You Closer to God". The author is frank and honest as you can see by this title. He covers eight stumbling blocks: the Eucharist, Confession, the Mystical Body of Christ, Mary, Faith vs. Works, Authority, the Church's Imperfections, and the hardest stumbling block of all: the witness of Catholics who don't know or appreciate their faith, their Church, or Jesus! These stumbling blocks are explained in short chapters that are very non-techical, that anyone could understand!

I think this book would be wonderful for anyone, really, but especially those with misconceptions about the Catholic Church. It's a great, easy read!

The Way of Silence: Engaging the Sacred in Daily Life
The Way of Silence: Engaging the Sacred in Daily Life
by David Steindl-Rast
Price: $14.42
44 used & new from $10.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite Contemplative Read, May 22, 2016
*****
This is a poignant, meditative book that I found most enjoyable to read! It is the first I've read of this author's and now I shall read more. It is a shorter book, but not a quick read, because there is so much on each page to digest. The author blends and compares the Benedictine tradition of Christianity with other religions--I would call this something that someone of any faith who is interested in contemplation would enjoy. If you are looking for a stricter, conservative Christian read, this would not be a good choice, however, because it is very open, spacious, and inclusive. I also enjoyed the author's style of writing--very skilled and poetic, lovely!

Sunbeam Turbo Steam Iron, 1500W
Sunbeam Turbo Steam Iron, 1500W
Price: $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Iron, Packed With Features and Value, April 26, 2016
*****
I love this latest iron from Sunbeam--lightweight, easy to use, safe because of smart shut-off system, with steam that performs however you need it to, and with a long cord so that I don't need an extension!

First the smart shut-off system: 15 minutes if standing upright, and only 30 seconds if you leave it flat or on its side--which would indicate an accidental misplacement. This makes sense to me. The iron is designed with a tip that can maneuver into difficult places. It comes with a graduated fabric setting dial, an anti-calcium system, and an extra long 12 foot 360 degree swivel cord. There are several basic steam settings that can be pulsed at 3 second intervals.

The iron has a vertical "shot of steam" feature that is wonderful, kind of like a steamer--this function is easy and works great for places that are too intricate to iron, or just for convenience.

This iron has a self-cleaning feature that I have not used yet, but that the instructions say helps to ensure optimal functioning and that should be done monthly. The instructions for the self-clean come with the iron and they seem very, very specific, so save your instruction booklet. The iron uses tap water, and ours is full of minerals, so I will push myself to clean it.

This is a great iron. I am a big fan of Rowenta irons, and in the past many years have stuck with that brand, but this Sunbeam has won me over. For the price, the value is here.

Great iron, highly recommended.

Visual Intelligence: Sharpen Your Perception, Change Your Life
Visual Intelligence: Sharpen Your Perception, Change Your Life
by Amy E. Herman
Price: $16.80
78 used & new from $10.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, But Only in Color!, April 21, 2016
****
I was given a black-and-white copy of this book to review as part of the Amazon Vine Program. The actual publication of the book will be in color. It seems like with the color the experience of the book would be vastly different, so I upgraded it to four stars, because I like the premise of the book. It attempts to SHOW you, rather than TELL you, how closely observing art can help to train your mind to be able to see all kinds of situations in life better, and thus to vastly improve your experience of life. It may do that! I don't know though, if it does or does not, as all of the pictures in the book were in dense, dark, black-and-white, and barely discernible--basically with no pictures. So as the reader goes through, the author will write, "Did you notice the orange feathers on the lady's sleeve?" Of course, I wouldn't even have been able to tell that there was a sleeve, let alone if it were orange! So I had to kind of imagine if there had been a photo that I could see, what conclusion I might draw. I felt like I was only able to read a portion of the book.

The portion (the text) that was reviewable was fine and made many good points. If you are one of those people who lives "in your head" and walks through life barely noticing what is going on around them (this is me), I think you'll find much to like here. If you have an occupation in which observation is vital (like law enforcement, medicine, pilot, etc.) you will also find much that will be helpful.

You don't need to have an art background to appreciate this book; in fact it's better if you do not, the author says. If you get to see the pictures in color, you'll have an opportunity to train your mind to look for details and observe all kinds of life situations differently. This skill can be enormously useful for everyone, not just for the professions listed above.

Wait to get the full color version. If your Kindle does not have color (mine does not) and is a basic e-reader, this book is next to useless. You absolutely need to be able to see the paintings and the colors to be able to get the impact of how close observation via art might change your life. Sadly, I missed it, but I do think this is an important book, and I might purchase it in the color version when it comes out. In the Amazon Vine Program we often review books before they come out in exchange for a free book so that readers can know what they are buying; sadly, in this case, I can be of only limited help.

Recommended, but ONLY in color!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20