Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now
Profile for Christine Case > Reviews

Browse

Christine Case's Profile

Customer Reviews: 19

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Christine Case "naiad" RSS Feed (San Francisco, CA)

Page: 1 | 2
The Microbiome Diet: The Scientifically Proven Way to Restore Your Gut Health and Achieve Permanent Weight Loss
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars MY health is SO much better in just 4 months. A new way to eat that fits my metabolism, April 22, 2015
This book is not perfect. It can be a bit clunky in places, and some charts and streamlined checklists would really help. But this is the book with which I started my journey to gut-focused, flora-friendly eating. It's not trying to sell you protein powder, or patented supplements. It summarizes a shift in the scientific thinking about diet and nutrition that is pretty profound.

In four months, I've been able to stop taking my insulin (still on metformin), my HbA1c is 6.0 from 8.8. I have no heartburn, even though I take an acid pill with every meal (heartburn is too little ability to digest, not too much acid!) My psoriasis is gone. And I've lost 37 lbs. Thank you Dr. Kellman.

Please include more on resistant starch in the next edition, like raw potato starch. Another useful way to feed colon bacteria.

Jinn and Juice
Jinn and Juice
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I love Lyla and she made me love Pittsburg, December 21, 2014
This review is from: Jinn and Juice (Kindle Edition)
Nicole Peeler is a fun writer with a zest for life that comes out in her characters. I have to love a fellow hedonist. I loved Jane True, and I love Lyla even more. Lyla is sassy, jaded, and smart. She even made me love Pittsburg, and I want to visit. The world Ms Peeler created is fantastic, and I so want to return.

But, no matter how much I love Lyla, there's a little bit missing. Hence the four stars instead of five. I'm a sucker for backstory, sometimes more so than the present action. I'm weird that way.

So I'm afraid the thing lacking in Jinn and Juice is backstory. Lyla is 1014 years old. Wow. That's a lot of life. She's been a slave on and off for a good part of that life. We know how she was created, and we sort of know she's been in Pittsburg for a long time (likely at least 80 years from what I can gather), but there's no mention of the intervening 900 years. Not a peep.

Not a, "That was a bad stink, like King Ferdinand's breath stink. Like worse than Troll bad. No offense, Bertha." Or a, "I'm suspicious of men when want to travel that much. Marco Polo gave new meaning to handsy. But his son was a sweetheart, and great in the sack, so perhaps not all men with wanderlust are jerks." Or even a, "All that was left was Tequila and I hate Tequila. Too many bad memories. Magi Conquistadors are no fun. Mexico means guilt, and I don't want to go there. Not today. Not when I'm so close to freedom."

Hell, Lyla could say it a lot better than I. We don't need reams of exposition on her past, but a few snappy lines and references to the past would really make her seem like she'd seen a vast swathe of the past, and wasn't just a troubled 32 year old woman. I understand why she would want to live constantly in the present, but she likely would also speak a dozen languages and remember things through a haze of enormous experience and I just don't feel that. I want to know more of the 1000 years that formed her.

Lyla and her world are fantastic, but it could be even better. I can't wait to read the next book and see if we learn more about who Lyla can be.

Justice Calling (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress Book 1)
Justice Calling (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress Book 1)
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked this quite a bit, September 9, 2014
I liked this quite a bit. I'm a huge fan of Dresden, and I can tell the author is too. A nerd-girl at heart, I like how Jade embraces her nerd and thrives because. She has what all of us nerds dream of - the ability to take those spells from DnD and the Belgariad and the friggen Force and actually do it (I mean, who hasn't tried to use the Force when they are too lazy to get up and get their glass of soda?) There is so much potential here for the future, I give this four stars. But it really needs expansion - not only of the core concepts of this character, but her internal mindscape. She has been through a hell of a lot for a 47 year old supernatural, but we see none of the soulsearching or inner knowledge or drive to do anything but live. The most successful long-lived characters in fiction (and the idea here is that Jade could live for thousands of years), have a driving force beyond their need to live. I've been disappointed in other series where an "immortal" main character written in first person seems to have the mind and drive of a 22 year old surfer dude. Not cool. Jade is deeper than that and has been through hell, but if she has done any personal reflection while she's been in Idaho, we don't see that. She doesn't see, to know herself very well at all. I hope the author explains more of that, or uses it somehow. The 47 year olds I know who are this shallow aren't very interesting people. I hope Jade proves to be more.

Skin Game: A Novel of the Dresden Files
Skin Game: A Novel of the Dresden Files
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive!, May 29, 2014
I love Harry Dresden. I keep worrying that somehow the quality of Butcher's writing is going to go down as he tries to sustain this very long series as well as write other series, but this did not disappoint in the least. I loved it. I laughed, I bit my fingernails in worry (I keep thinking at some point there will be a Sirius or Dumbledore or Dobby moment), I pumped my fist. It helped me come out of a deep depression, it was that good.

I even liked the parts I shouldn't like.

(Spoilers below)

Yes, there are some bits that are way too good to be true. Maggie's words seemed almost too perfect - but dammit he needed them. And we see later on that Maggie is playing at being a dinosaur cowboy! They have obviously been telling stories about Harry for years to her. She knows who he is. She knows that he fights the monsters. And she really wants something that's hers, not borrowed. So even thought it seemed too good, and a touch sappy - I still loved it.

And Sir Butters, Jedi Knight. Um...I have adored the Polka King for years. I was thrilled with this development. Lightsabers rock!

Thanks Jim, for a great ride. You made me smile when I truly truly needed it. Can't wait for Harry's next adventures (though I have a feeling this book was full of sunshine and warm fuzzies and the next will be a kick in the teeth).

Cast in Sorrow (Chronicles of Elantra)
Cast in Sorrow (Chronicles of Elantra)
by Michelle Sagara
Price: $14.28
51 used & new from $2.31

4.0 out of 5 stars Savored in tiny sips, until cool enough to gulp, September 12, 2013
Most of the time, I enter a fantasy world and read like Lindsay Lohan drinks tequila - fast and furious and can't get enough. I'll devour a series, losing far too much sleep. If I don't like it, I stop and analyze what went wrong with it, but if I like it - I'm addicted. Michelle Sagara is different. With her work, I'm like Lizzy Bennet with a hot cup of tea. I tend to sip her books in small tastes, a chapter at a time, and let it stew in the back of my mind for a bit. She tries to cover ideas so big that there are no words - the magic glue that hold her Cast In world together is True Words themselves. Her magic is unique. The races are not, we've seen their type before, but the descriptions of reality and perception - how different beings perceive the same scene, are really well wrought. But there's a lack of forward momentum, the drive and pushes a story forward, and that's why I don't give this 5 stars. Sagara's imagination is fantastic - I would love to have a philosophical discussion with her on the nature of reality itself, but plot is not her forte. The characters are very well done, the relationships difficult and slow - because many of these books happen in a very short amount of time really - and relationships don't always go in leaps and bounds. They need time to cook, and I like that Sagara doesn't rush, especially given the abuse that Kaylin has seen in her life. I love Kaylin's growth and maturation in these last few books. I look forward to the next, and to my philosophical conjectures as I sip each chapter.

The Unfinished Song - Book 6: Blood
The Unfinished Song - Book 6: Blood
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the next one, June 25, 2013
I have to say Tara Maya doesn't at all disappoint in this latest installment. This series is innovative, the characters are compelling, if occasionally lack a bit of depth. But, given the epic style parts are written in, it somehow works. The action sequences are well written and very clear, quite an accomplishment given their complexity. The worldbuilding is exquisite as always. I'm thrilled to see Dindi finally develop confidence in herself in a realistic manner. Brilliant work, and I truly am waiting anxiously for the next one!

Miles in Love (The Vorkosigan Saga combo volumes Book 5)
Miles in Love (The Vorkosigan Saga combo volumes Book 5)
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Seeing Miles finally get the girl is delicious, May 10, 2013
Miles finds a woman who can love all of him. The crazy madness left over from the little Admiral, and the pomp, peril and power of Barrayar. She's perfect for him, and deliciously written. Thank you Lois!

Hounded (with two bonus short stories): The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book One
Hounded (with two bonus short stories): The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book One
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars a bit flat, a bit soulless, May 7, 2013
Maybe I just love cliches too much, or maybe I want to be surprised, but something about Atticus O'Sullivan doesn't add up. The writing was clever, the characters interesting if not completely novel (that's fine, it's not easy!), but I just am not compelled to pick up the next book. Why? For me, the idea of living for 2100 years is pretty damn terrifying. If you do, you have a reason. If you have such a great fear of death, then why? If you can't die, that's fine, but that's not the hero's problem - even if he negotiates deals to that effect. You have to have a driving force, a reason, and I really didn't get that sense at all. If this is revealed in later books, great, but make some canny but subtle allusions to that. OTherwise, hero comes off a bit detached, but strangely passionate without object, disconnected from those around him except from his (awesome) dog.

Borders of Infinity (3-novella collection - Vorkosigan Saga)
Borders of Infinity (3-novella collection - Vorkosigan Saga)
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Stellar Miles as always, May 7, 2013
Three wonderful examples of why I love Miles, and how Bujold is a master. He grows in each other these three stories, matures and evolves. Miles lives in these. Fabulous.

Doctor Who: Summer Falls
Doctor Who: Summer Falls
Price: $3.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable on several levels, and fun to dig deeper, April 4, 2013
I have fallen into the trap of Who fandom and I'm loving it. Couldn't resist the lure of a book written to exist within the Whoniverse.

This is actually a nice little YA fantasy book in and of itself, where children are treated with respect and intelligence, in a classic sense of YA books much older than this. Mystical loveliness abounds. It is a classic Who adventure, even with only the slightest reference to the TARDIS and only a glimmer of the sonic screwdriver.

And yet, this is written by Amelia Williams, aka Amy Pond, and her voice comes through clearly, with minor mentions of technologies that have yet to be invented in 1954. Her intolerance of emotional panic and her forthrightness shine in the heroine Kate, and the hearts of Eleven are rendered simply and beautifully as the Curator aka Barnabus. I think Eleven would love being called Barnabus. Are their hidden pieces of information on the Great Intelligence within the evil Lord of Winter. What is that tin foil canvas?

And just who, exactly, is the grey cat with her nine lives? I know who I think it is.

A quick fun read that any Who-loving child or adult would eat up with relish.

Page: 1 | 2