Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports
Profile for ld-kant > Reviews

Browse

ld-kant's Profile

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

"ld-kant" RSS Feed (Eastern US)

Test Big Data 1701
Test Big Data 1701

5.0 out of 5 stars Know What This Film Is., April 24, 2000
This review is from: Test Big Data 1701 (DVD)
THIS MOVIE IS NOT A HISTORY LESSON.
But then again, the greatest history is not taught, but felt, to coin a cliche.
The screenwriters of this film may have taken license with Schindler and Goeth and the myriad other figures. So what? Should we watch Holocaust movies for character studies? NO.
We can like the characters, but the heart of this beautiful, beautiful film is its power to convey how it was to live in that time and place.
If Schindler was not corrupt but ultimately redeemed in the exact way as in the film... I do not care. He represents a flawed decency unlike many characters possess in films. He is real, even if he is not the real Oskar Schindler.
If Goeth was not such a monster... Oh well. The character, portrayed wonderfully by Ralph Fiennes, represented evil in its purest. Watching this film made me despise such hate more than years of Hitler demonizing could--it made me realize that there is such evil.
This film was not a character film. It was not an Academy Award film shoe-in. And if Spielberg did win, it was because the Academy finally realized his talent--but only when they couldn't refuse it. This film couldn't lose because it was the best picture of the year(and many others, I'd say).
Watch this film and feel. Don't think until it and your reaction to it are over.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2012 11:24 AM PST

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
DVD ~ Matthew Broderick
Offered by Carlsen Enterprises Inc.
Price: $22.49
25 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't trust the review; still relevant and hilarious!, December 17, 1999
This review is from: Ferris Bueller's Day Off (DVD)
I am a teenager. I still enjoy(?) the joys(?) of high school. And let me say that Ferris Bueller's Day Off is still pertinent, as well as enjoyable.
I've seen the ending numerous times on TV, but this very night I decided to watch the whole thing. I rented it with a friend and loved it. Tomorrow I will go out and buy the DVD.
John Hughes was one of the precursors of such great writer-directors as Kevin Smith, and this film is evidence. It may have different focuses and some might find this difficult to interpret, as some reviews have said.
I say "Bull." This film captures high school. Even if all the teachers aren't as boring, the administration is still spreading the same lies that the principal character does in the film. He tries for authority and only pulls off incompetence.
With humor, light youthful cynicism, and carefree but intelligent views on life, I can attest to Ferris's own accuracy. I may not be as successful, but I see myself as a Buellerist(even if it wasn't intended).
So what if the movie ends seriously? That's what high school is! There're good times, hilarious times. And then there's learning who you are. Coming to terms. I was moved by Ferris Bueller's Day Off. In a world where accuracy often means disgusting, hack films like American Pie, this movie captured school days masterfully. Films that take the act of growing up and make it a sick joke are insulting, in my opinion. American Pie featured the darker side of growing up. People who are self-centered and petty. What a life, to start in such a way. Ferris Bueller is shown to be human and moral as he speaks about his friends, however. His analyses are wonderful, and caring while not being sugar-coated. The film was true but tasteful, succinctly and accurately showing the trials of growing up.
It's over-the-top, but anyone who was interesting in high school(and childhood in general), I'm sure, can attest to memories that seem larger-than-life. While it may be difficult to watch Ferris Bueller run up slides and jump on trampolines all to get home with a serious eye, one must admit that when one looks back at school, some things are like that, even if only in your mind.
Ferris Bueller's Day Off works on levels that only one who is or has been young can appreciate.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 10, 2013 1:45 AM PST