Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now STEM
Profile for AK > Reviews

Browse

AK's Profile

Customer Reviews: 280

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

AK RSS Feed (Kentucky)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Future Crimes: Inside the Digital Underground and the Battle for Our Connected World
by Marc Goodman
Price: $10.89
90 used & new from $6.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye opening to say the least, 5 stars, August 11, 2016
An incredibly detailed look and analysis at data collection and distribution on the internet. I study this type of material and thought I had a pretty deep understanding but learned a lot more from this book. I read Bruce Schneiers book "Data and Goliath" and that was an extensive review of this type of material but Future Crimes had more material and depth. Quite eye opening.

Definitely the most thorough and concise book I have read to date. Read it if you want to be shocked about how much of your personal information is on the internet and is being bought and sold behind the scenes.

Automatic Water Leveler Sentry M-3000
Automatic Water Leveler Sentry M-3000
Offered by Pool Supply Warehouse
Price: $72.49
3 used & new from $59.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Not reliable, July 31, 2016
It appears that this should be an easy device to engineer. This device is pretty cheaply made but seemed to work for a while. The internal pipe from the garden hose attachment to the water valve in the box is very cheap and leaks easily, and the water level sensor once set is not reliable.

In the month that I have been using this device, the internal plumbing was leaking enough that we shut the water off to it making it worthless. Once we turned the device on, the valve didn't shutoff when the pool got to the set level and fortunately I caught it before water went over the top of the pool. I'm sure I had to pump out more water $$$ than I paid for this valve.

I'm still looking for a better made and dependable water level sensor, if you find one, please comment.

Soylent Ready to Drink Food, 12 Pack of 14 oz. Bottles
Soylent Ready to Drink Food, 12 Pack of 14 oz. Bottles
Price: $34.00

1.0 out of 5 stars YUCK, June 17, 2016
This stuff tastes like raw pancake batter, yuck. Don't make the mistake I did and start the taste test process by ordering a case of 12, I didn't make it thru the first drink (yes, it was chilled). Either order a single can or get someone to give you a can to try.

I'm highly suspicious of all of the only one review "5 star" reviews. I'll be on guard in the future with respect to Amazon reviews, I thought they policed that.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 5, 2016 8:04 PM PDT

PBI/Gordon Speed Zone Lawn Weed Killer, 20-Ounce
PBI/Gordon Speed Zone Lawn Weed Killer, 20-Ounce
Price: $31.74
13 used & new from $26.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly powerful., April 27, 2016
I used this weed killer to fight chickweed (as recommended by my local nursery). I had moderate expectations but this stuff is scary powerful, killed the flowers in two hours and the next morning, the chickweed plant look scorched. The bluegrass around the chickweed was unharmed. I probably don't want to know what kind of chemical concoction this is but I'd say be careful and stay upwind of the atomised spray. Light years ahead of Weed B Gone. Highly recommended IF this product targets the weed it was designed for.

Garmin Fenix 3 HR, Gray
Garmin Fenix 3 HR, Gray
Price: $599.99
16 used & new from $492.73

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch but buggy (UPDATE 2 +++), April 7, 2016
I’ve had the Garmin Fenix 3 HR for several weeks and have been testing it extensively on my around the world trip. In general, this is a very nice watch but it does have limitations. Once you understand how it functions and its limitations, it is usable. I have several observations.

TIPS: go to apps dot garmin dot com and get a new watch face. Do a search on Clarity and pick out a nice one, there are so many to choose from. Infinitely better than the stock digital or analog faces.

Download Garmin Connect for your smartphone, it will enable your smartphone to work with the Fenix 3 over Bluetooth to add more functionality.

Turn on Glonass, it helps get a quicker GPS acquisition. Can you get a GPS lock in a building? hardly, it barely works outside if there are buildings nearby.

If your sunrise/sunset data is messed up, get a GPS lock and that should fix it.

PROs: Once GPS locked on, the Fenix 3 HR can store your route so that you can later display it on Google Earth, it does a good job at that.

CONs: I’d recommend staying away from the beta software. If you read the forums, in my opinion, the beta team is taking wags at the reported bugs and throwing out new betas to see if they work, it has caused me a lot of grief as well as others because some beta modules work, some make issues worse.

There are too many different Garmin programs (Express, connect, webupdater, Basecamp, and two others I cant think of right now), please combine into one app.

Limitations:
GPS is 2D. Regardless of what might be said, I have yet to be able to get a 3D position from the GPS. Altitude information comes from the altimeter, period. If you disagree, I challenge you to calibrate the altimeter to zero, go to an unknown altitude hilltop or tall building and take a GPS position. The altitude will report whatever the altimeter says. So, why this is an issue is if I go on a hike in the mountains and set basecamp to zero, I climb to the top of the hill and wonder how high the hill is, I will have to do math (basecamp actual altitude plus altimeter is in the ballpark for true hilltop height) If I were to use the Fenix 3 GPS to get a reading, it would tell me exactly my 2D position but for altitude it would use the altimeter (way off). No the Auto calibration function on the altimeter does not get an update from the GPS (because it is 2D, period) A true 3D GPS would tell me the position and altitude within its bubble of error (usually within 20 feet on all 3 axis) I suppose I could use my android or iphone GPS for the actual 3D GPS altitude.

(UPDATE +++ It appears that the altimeter can now be calibrated using the GPS function in firmware 2.92beta, this is positive and negates most of the above complaints I have with the GPS)

Another beef I have is if I am standing at a known altitude above sea level and calibrate my watch to that altitude, if I leave the watch untouched for a day, when I come back the altitude has changed with barometric pressure. In other words the altimeter fluctuates with barometric pressure. So, the altimeter is a pressure sensor, nothing more.

The temperature function only gives reasonably accurate information off of the wrist. On the wrist, the temperature stays very near 92F regardless of if I’m in a snow storm or on the beach. Off the wrist, it is displaying about 80F while all other thermometers are displaying 73F. I wish there was a way to calibrate the thermometer.

Barometer is pretty good, its close enough.

Compass is weak and very prone to any kind of interference. Out in the woods it will work reasonably well if calibrated.

Heart Rate sensor? It’s in the ballpark but there are some in the forums that are having issues, I’m not. I just use it as general indicator to make sure I am not pushing too hard.

Overall, it is a nice watch but has its issues. It is almost too big but not quite. The battery life is good but some have reported that some betas are draining the watch in a day, I am getting a week.

I suppose I’d have to recommend waiting until they get the bugs worked out.

UPDATE 2 - April 2016 - Firmware 2.93
Lessons Learned - When changing locations such as Honolulu to Denver - First thing I do is take a GPS position. This will give me the correct local time as well as the correct sunrise/sunset data. The actual altitude is still wrong because the GPS position is 2D. To fix this, I go to the altitude function and CALIBRATE, USE GPS. I let this run for about a minute until the altitude changes stop. This altitude is a 3D position and very close to your actual altitude. An interesting note, even though I am standing at a point known to be precisely 500 feet above sea level, the GPS position will insist than I am 520 ft. This has happened at several known positions, the GPS adds 20 feet?? I'm still happy that it is close.
Lastly, turn the Auto Cal function OFF on the Alitimeter Function. When I had the Auto Cal function on, the Altitude would fluctuate +/- 500 feet. I am guessing this is the GPS getting occasional looks at the sky and taking its crude position and injecting that into the altitude. After I turned the Auto Cal function OFF and get my 3D Altitude as listed above, the Altitude is pretty steady and accurate.

Heart Rate monitor function is right on with several units I used to cross check it with at the gym. +++

Overall, I'm liking a lot more after the firmware improvements and figuring out its quirks. Increasing from 3 Stars to 4 Stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2016 3:48 PM PDT

RepRap Champion ® Aluminum Anodized Y Carriage Plate for Prusa i3 3D Printer
RepRap Champion ® Aluminum Anodized Y Carriage Plate for Prusa i3 3D Printer
Offered by RepRap Champion
Price: $19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great on Wanhao i3 V2, March 17, 2016
If you have a Wanhao i3 and have a bed flex problem then this will fix it. You will have to drill the bed, the holes in it do not match up with the Wanhao i3 V2. It took me about 10 minutes to lay the original aluminum bed on top of this one (put four corner bolts in for alignment) and mark the holes. It does work, just keep rotating until you find the orientation where all holes need to be drilled. Works great, zero flex!!

eSUN PETG filament 1.75mm Solid Black 1kg(2.2lb) Spool for Makerbot, Reprap, UP, Afinia, Flash Forge and all FDM 3D Printers, Solid Opaque Black
Offered by INTSERVO
Price: $25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from eSun, highly recommended, March 10, 2016
Another winner from eSun. I really liked the eSun PLA Pro and got great prints from it on my Wanhao i3. I tried Taulman TechG and it was OK but I couldnt get it dialed in. So, I tried the eSun PETG and it is fantastic, just like its PLA+ brother. WOW, very nice glossy black prints and very strong. I print the PLA+ at 215/60 45mm/sec and I print this PETG at 250C/70 45mm/sec. I'm not seeing a stringing problem or anything unusual (except a little crackling occasionally from the moisture the PETG must be picking up??) I had to print it a little hotter at 250C without fan to ensure layer bonding. Other than that, I really see no need to experiment with any other filaments. Between the eSun PLA+ and the PETG I am extremely pleased.

eSUN 1.75mm Black PLA PRO (PLA+) 3D Printer filament 1kg Spool (2.2lbs), PRO Black

5.0 out of 5 stars I found a winner :), March 2, 2016
I finally found the perfect filament. I tried and tried to tweak Hatchbox 1.75 PLA as well as Taulman Tech-G. I never could could get either to be as consistent or as "well behaved" as the eSun PLA+ 1.75. I finally decided to quit messing with other filament and settle on the eSun PLA+ 1.75 Black. The prints come out so nice at 40mm/sec, .4 nozzle, 215C/60C, heated bed on blue painters tape, and a raft.

My search is over, this filament is extremely strong (I use it for my quads) and prints very consistently. 5 STARS !!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldnt be happier, 5 stars +++ UPDATE, February 27, 2016
I sure dont know what the negative reviews are about, this is the best kept secret in 3d printing. The V2 model is putting out fantastic prints for me with PLA, PLA+ and PETG. Although not necessary, I printed out a few of the recommended upgrade parts (about $2 worth of plastic) and it works even better. The manufacturer appears to be continually updating and improving the design, the engineering is good and so are the components. There is a Wanhaousa website that you need to look at, lots of good stuff. My printer was shipped from China in about a week without a scratch. Check out the warranty too.

I could not be happier. I am 3d printing for a very low price and having a ball. You can use the free Cura application to print with or invest in Simplify3D. Although Cura worked 8/10, Simplify3d is so polished and made another level of improvements.

This thing is very addicting. Highly recommended.

+++ UPDATE

After a month of use and lots of print time and testing, I have seen a few issues. The factory bearings are pretty poor and three of the 6 have already failed. Go ahead and order the LM8LUU bearings on e bay and plan to do the upgrade. The new bearings make a big difference. Also, I am having good success with a .3mm PEI sheet on the factory bed, no issues with prints sticking to the bed. I did the MicroSwiss hot end upgrade but I dont think it is really necessary, I am satisfied with printing in eSun PLA+ and eSun PETG.so the new all metal hot end isn't really needed. I went with Simplify3D because of all the fine tuning you can do, I am glad I did. Other than that, this printer is phenomenal, really great prints!

iPhone 6s Case, Spigen® [Liquid Armor] SOFT-FLEX [Black] Premium Flexible Soft TPU Case for iPhone 6 (2014) / 6s (2015) - Black (SGP11751)
Offered by Spigen Inc
Price: $12.99
3 used & new from $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Fit for the iPhone 6/6S, February 24, 2016
This is a perfect fit for my iPhone 6S and has the openings in all the right places. Nice TPU case, easy to grip and has raised edges to reduce the chances of breaking the screen if you drop it. I'm very happy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20