Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Tall Heights Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now
Profile for T. Burns > Reviews

Browse

T. Burns' Profile

Customer Reviews: 30

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

T. Burns "Slackjaw" RSS Feed (sarasota florida)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin - Xbox One
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin - Xbox One
Price: $18.63
86 used & new from $12.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Another soul has been stolen- where is that stupid Estus Flask when you need it?, June 21, 2016
So I am one of the masses that bought the game on xbox 360 (both Dark Souls 1+2 and it made me cry like a little baby trying to progress). Being a fan of most RPGs I would buy it based on the great ratings and then feel stupid for it due to my own inability to "get it". Fast forward to this generation and I was between a couple of games so I decided to pick it up on the cheap and give it a "true effort"
Well I am just incredibly happy and fortunate I did. It may be the best game I have ever played. It has a stiff learning curve, you are not handheld or led to your objectives. You will likely kill some valuable NPCs (Gavlan I am talking to you!) You will misuse your souls more than you would ever dream. But if you stick with it and take the game at a slow pace you will soon move over the learning curve and find yourself in this gamer's paradise of sorts. You will look up the WIKI on the game and find strategies to beat bosses, you will figure out which of those walls is truly illusional and not just a trick someone is playing on you. You will find loops in how to approach stages and you will want to get every single soul you can to level up that mechanic or to buy that item to open up a new path.
The game is deep and rigid but it can be handled by anyone willing to put the time in to get better at it. Soon those big bosses will be easier to handle. You will understand the rolling approach or parrying. You will reset your game to try other classes of characters that fit your style. You will want the game to pass by slowly because you will fall in love with its rough exterior. You WILL count down the hours until work is over so you can drop back into the world and clear each area of all souls. It's addictive and the added STRESS of losing hard earned souls gives even the most mundane leveling up a flavor that is more than satisfying to consume.
You will be invaded by other players and you will be in the middle of farming and it will make your heart pound as you look for the RED PHANTOMS to come and challenge you. You will hate it and you will love it.
In a nutshell this is Dark Souls 2. It's just so well made and there are so many secrets and ways to pass your time. HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend. Put in the time and you will feel a sense of accomplishment that goes beyond trophies or achievements. It's more about conquering seemingly impossible odds and then afterward finding something even harder to do. But you get better and better and the buttons become second hand knowledge. Please do yourself a favor if you like RPGs and approach this like a fine wine. Be PATIENT!!!! Don't expect to move quickly but set smaller goals for game play time purposes.
I am not the best gamer in the world though I like all types of games and if I can figure it out and progress anyone can. You just have to have the right mindset. And get gud. Like they say.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2016 3:57 PM PDT

Gem Quest Jewel Hero
Gem Quest Jewel Hero

5.0 out of 5 stars great game, June 8, 2016
This review is from: Gem Quest Jewel Hero (App)
Great game....super fun

Bingo Showdown
Bingo Showdown
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars super easy and fun, May 15, 2016
This review is from: Bingo Showdown (App)
Takes a long time to generate tickets.

Innova Beast Disc Golf Driver
Innova Beast Disc Golf Driver
Price: $6.95 - $16.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Pro Beast for steady controlled drives early on, June 28, 2013
If you are new to disc golf you likely are not familiar with plastic differences or hyzer versus anhyzer. You are likely just getting started and need a disc that does not penalize a player for not having a ton of whip on their throws. Enter the Pro Beast. Pretty much any beast will have this type of profile as i've found but for some reason I find that the Pro Beast is the most accurate disc in my bag. I simply throw it RHBH and low with a little anhyzer (or forcing the disc to go right by tilting it that way just a little) The result is a 200-300 ft. very straight drive with a little fade on the end. I find that if I do this I can start it on the right and it will naturally and very slightly glide back near the end (or in it's fade) back to the left.

This is my go to on those narrow holes that require accuracy. I have found this to be a good disc to work on form and to then graduate to a more durable plastic like champion or star (or titanium/Elite Z plastic if you like Discraft). The disc will wear down fairly quickly as with most DX plastic but it will help you to upgrade your ability by being a good disc to work out your kinks.

Discraft Nuke SS Elite Z Golf Disc, 173-174 grams
Discraft Nuke SS Elite Z Golf Disc, 173-174 grams
Price: $15.99
3 used & new from $12.95

5.0 out of 5 stars The game changing Nuke, June 28, 2013
I am a RHBH thrower. I used to play daily for about 5 years and took a 7 year hiatus (due to life,work and kids). Now I have picked the game back up and in roughly 2 months I am finding better play today than at any time over those 5 years. I have been seeking more distance on my drives as I found myself falling a bit short on drives say 250-300 ft. I can sometimes throw it much further but consistant distance was a struggle for me against more experienced players. The other day I brought out my nuke in some field practice and have not put the disc down except on tight line shots. When I need a strong hyzer shot it's a menacing bomb that carves through trees on it's fade. If I anhyzer it I get a tight straight toss that whips hyzer sharply at its tail. It flies predictably and only better as you break it in. I can now turn it throwing RHBH

I have been using INNOVA discs for the most part over the years, star and pro plastic are my preference but Discraft for me flies longer and straighter. If you too are looking for that disc to help you equalize the playing field with more proficient players I highly reccomend this disc. You can also play around with the standard NUKE or the extremely fickle OS versions but I am finding the SS gives me what I was missing. Hope this helps!

The Great American Cereal Book: How Breakfast Got Its Crunch
The Great American Cereal Book: How Breakfast Got Its Crunch
by Martin Gitlin
Price: $19.95
32 used & new from $15.94

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book to read at the breakfast table, March 14, 2013
This book was pointed out to me by a friend who got it and reccomended it. It has some really great information on some of the earliest examples of cereal goodness ever created. The text is very descriptive and gives the pictures identity. Really a fun book with some good stories. My kids like the pictures and want to try certain cereals they never knew about. It makes breakfast more interactive and some really good facts in it.
I highly reccomend if you are a fan of Cereal and it's early incarnation. Check it out!

Halo 4 - Xbox 360 (Standard Game)
Halo 4 - Xbox 360 (Standard Game)
Offered by xplorer034
Price: $16.51
677 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars From a Reach junkie that reached Inheritor ranking.., November 9, 2012
Greetings and thank you for reading my review. I have to take a little time and create this review because I am a little shocked by the reviews I'm seeing given a game as polished and complete as Halo 4. I have played all of them going back to the original Xbox. I was an inheritor in Reach. I loved Reach probably most out of the group with Halo 3 close behind. Anyone giving this game one star is simply out of their skulls (slight Halo punn).
So what is Halo 4 in relation to it's predecessor? Is is a new experience? Is it worth your time to explore its offering?

The short answer is a resounding YES! The gameplay is tight and clean like previous Halo titles. It shines in production value. I like the new enemy types and the heightened targeting of enemies (that have weakness spots to take advantage of) I like the mixture of Covenant and habitat based enemies (that fight against one another actively around you) I'm speaking of specific levels of the 8 sections offered. Similar to Halo Reach, those sections are LONG so don't believe the hype of people compaining about size. The size is good and the spacing seems better than Reach... by this i mean that you will feel sections of the game are different based on enemy types and environments. I am just about done with the Campaign and it has been perhaps the most enjoyable experience in the Halo universe for me. There are some tense sections within the game where you are escaping and climbing out of danger and unlike others opinions I have read, I found these to be a welcome diversion to draw you back into the plot and change things up a bit. Overall the Campaign is a tight enjoyable experience that builds on Reach. Coop is still a blast and is FUN! Length is similar to Reach but I don't find myself getting the stale boredom of similar levels and ideas as in that last offering. New guns, new technology, new enemies, new environments. Master Chief is back!

Multiplayer is just what you would expect from Halo with a few additions, Loadouts of weapons and perks that give you advantages in battle similar to COD. This has been spoken about quite a bit but just to give you my experience, I felt some nostalgia for some of the level build outs and the game plays pretty much the same as past with these new features integrated. Halo always offers a strong list of multiplayer options and without going into too much depth, they are all here in this package. There is much more under the skirt of this game that I am looking forward to trying but I wanted to give an opinion from someone who maxed out their character in Reach.
This game is an excellant successor and I fail to see how any human being not banging two rocks together abstactly can find this to be any less than 3 stars. The production values and pacing are great. The Multiplayer is strong as always and there is already committment for 3 more map packs. Given this annoying habit of companies offering a pay forward "pass" gone are the days of buying a game in one transaction but I would venture to say that Halo is one of those franchises that just gets it. The system couldn't continue it's success without a robust offering since this is the Xbox exclusive answer to PS3's strong lineup. It's a console mover for sure and a can't miss title this holiday. I played Reach just yesterday. Still has a rabid base (though you may find some people not working with the same tool kit you are using) For 2 full years plus it occupied a spot in my rotation and I had to replace my copy 4 times due to wear. It was the one game that made that insurance a valuable asset. I would say it would be good to do the same here as this game has tremendous replay value and polish.

Do yourself a favor and ignore the haters. This is Halo and if it's differnent in some ways - how could that be a bad thing. I got a little tired of nailing my 5 daily tasks everyday and am happy to be wasting countless more hours on this game as well. The only problem is with so many great options right now it tends to put other games out of business around my house. Halo is an event for those that get it and you should GET IT NOW!

Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 13, 2012 9:46 PM PST

Divide, The
Divide, The
DVD ~ Lauren German
Price: $5.95
57 used & new from $1.18

5.0 out of 5 stars A very dark and realistic portal into the post apocalyptic world., April 18, 2012
This review is from: Divide, The (DVD)
First off, This is not for children or those with any concern of graphic violence. The themes portrayed here are dark and evil and this is a stark look at humanity and the decent into madness that isolation and fear can induce. Also I find that the involvement of "higher and more organized survivors" interacting with the group adds to the sense of dread and ultimate dissolution of sanity. The use of cinematography to capture the emotion of these events adds a very real and foreboding setting. Once the world is viewed it is desolate and dark and reminder of the consequence of war.

The story begins with explosions (obviously nuclear) seen outside of an office window stories up in an apartment building. As chaos errupts people make there way down stairs to the ground but some groups seek out the underground basement as a place to hide and regroup. The Super of the building is a survivalist and has been preparing for the end of the world for many years. A former military man and firefighter in 9-11 he is no stranger to surviving difficult and seemingly impossible situations. Yet as we learn his wife and daughter perish in a fire themselves. He is hard and impassionate. Yet despite all of this he allows the 10 or so people to pile into the basement storage areas of the building. There is so many stress elements to deal with for everyone involved as the story continues but here are a couple of the highlights. They can't let anyone in or out of the basements primary entrance due to the fear of radiation and dust. There are load banging noises constantly as the building itself collapses and the sounds of other destruction continues long after the initial barrage. In short, the psychological strain is great and it plays against each character in varying ways.

Ultimately we learn that the risks outside are as great as the risks of those inside. Who are these survivors and will they maintain sanity or slowly slide into the abyss of madness. This concept is played over and over and things get only worse as time passes. I don't wish to give any more away. We know that the world around them is in ruin but the reality of their situation is too much for them to mentally grasp and as the tension builds so does the danger and despair. The walls of humanity shake and crumble and the images will haunt you long after the last scene.

We know what is happening and yet the story continues to suck you in. The character interaction is strong and the acting was very good. The cinemetography was striking. This is a powerful story with even more memorable images. I highly reccomend this movie as it was the most realistic I have seen dealing with the aftermath of nuclear warfare. Why did all of this happen? Do we ever really know? If the world did end and you found yourself in that basement how would you know what was really happening or when it was safe to go outside? How would the government deal with it and would they be helpful or the opposite?

Great movie. A+ for me.

Warriors Orochi 3 - Xbox 360
Warriors Orochi 3 - Xbox 360
Offered by MOST WANTED
Price: $21.90
33 used & new from $9.96

4.0 out of 5 stars It's been done but I'll take Warriors Orochi 3 for a spin again and again, April 12, 2012
First, stop reading if you don't like Dynasty Warriors 1-7 or any of its' offshoots. This is not an original experience. It is exactly what you think it is but with a few nuances thrown in like the first level when you avoid a fire ball spewing dragon. But this is a bit of window dressing because you will soon find yourself in the same modes battling a huge army, gradually unlocking the impressive 100 plus generals from Chinese and Japanese history and lore. As you unlock them in Story Mode you can then open them up in other Musou modes... Sound familiar?? It is.
But if you were to buy one of these games as a staple I would suggest that this is the one. It has a good feel to it and doesn't lock up too bad with 100s of enemies clustering around you. Although it's clear that it's pushing it's bounderies as you sometimes find enemies appearing immediately around you as the action grows and the game pushes to fit all the action in. I liked the varied characters and it was a good enough grind to get to each new stage and each new character unlock... (sometimes up to 5 characters unlocked after a level). You can build them individually or as a group by spreading out distribution points (which are a bonus to the grinding experience you get).
As mentioned before the game is entirely voiced in Japanese/Chinese. But this actually worked for me because the translations can be laughable and horribly out of place when you are getting your swerve on taking out pocket after pocket of troops. A fun game but not a fresh idea. I think the top line price is a bit off as it is nothing different for me but with the sheer number of options and characters it won't leave you second guessing as long as you know what you are getting into and like that game type.

In short, It's not genre busting or original though it does attempt a few moderate improvements over the last one. It is a larger game than the previous and is a good co op experience if you and a friend want to have some mindless fun. It does achieve the fun it sets out for and you can't hate the game for being more of what it is. If you like level grinding for new weapons and characters this is a good place to get your Musou on.

Silent Hill HD Collection - Playstation 3
Silent Hill HD Collection - Playstation 3
Offered by drum_video_games
Price: $29.99
96 used & new from $19.48

5.0 out of 5 stars From a gamer playing these great titles for the first time..., March 21, 2012
I really don't know why I missed SH2 on PS2. I had the system but was late to move from my xbox. So playing Silent Hill 2 for the first time for me is an exhilerating experience. I had the opportunity to play the original Silent Hill some 10 years ago with my wife as we are both horror buffs when we first married. Now 10 years and several kids later we got the nostalgia bug and figured why not go back and then play each installment up to Downpour thanks to KONAMI which was great enough to release these classics.

As soon as we put Silent Hill 2 in and chose ORIGINAL VOICES.. It was like we picked up right where we left off. The game actually holds up relatively well against todays survival horror games in that it doesn't attempt to overrun the gamer with too much stimulus and it builds like a good book to take you down it's dead end paths and collapsed structures. There is a quality to the graphics (muddy though likely years better in HD) that makes the game more intimate. It is a sensory experience larger than the first game which captures a mood and a feeling that will tire you as you play it but in a good way. I was immediately struck with how great it was to have a simple premise executed so well. There you are on a quest to resolve mysteries in a sinister town but moreover to resolve mysteries in your own mind. And the dance between reality and fiction is fascinating.
Well executed fiction, Meaningful character interaction, simplistic (though often clunky) controls and a straightforward exploration with great puzzle elements make this a great play through. I am finally glad to be able to experience the game for the first time though it gave me the eerie feeling of coming back to a place I had been to before. And it was a very good experience. I look forward to completing the game over the next few days. Each night opening a new chapter in this dark story.

Do yourself a favor and take the opportunity to visit Silent Hill. Whether going there like me for the first time (on SH2 and SH3) or check out the update if you haven't and this is a return visit for you. Good value on two great games!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2012 9:37 AM PDT