Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now
Profile for Charles_Spain > Reviews

Browse

Charles_Spain's Profile

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Charles_Spain "Charles_spain" RSS Feed (Madrid_Spain)

Outliers: The Story of Success
Outliers: The Story of Success
by Malcolm Gladwell
Price: $10.19
510 used & new from $4.09

3.0 out of 5 stars Who needs to be a outlier? (to be happy), June 17, 2011
I've read the Outliers with a great expectation, I finally had found the book that talked about the famous "10.000 hours" theory.

It is interesting, although not convincing, and the main reason is that myself as a comedian, can assure you that the talent is what indeed makes the difference on this "success" chain. And the amount of talent you have (everybody is talented in some areas) it is also a final value. What depends of you is how much you work to develop it (because you never know how much talented you are if you do not try for a long time).

The Outliers make a good effort on show interesting facts about the amount of effort that is needed to some to achieve excellence, but don't do any effort at all trying to prove that this theory is wrong; and it is, as you will see in history many cases that at the contrary of what he states, two people with the same amount of hours could have very different results, and one reason is the genetics, the inner talent and also, but not less important, the mindset of this person (they way this person thinks, realistic or more pessimistic).

Also is interesting how he shows the influence the "context" on a individual has to "shape" their opportunities, what also is obvious, how a poor person can have the same opportunities as the others?

The main point he makes is: the success is a sum of advantages that you gain that will lead you finally on the top, but, and it is a big BUT, this only can happen if you are really talented.

Also the real history of Bill Gates? It is not told on the book, as Bill Gates bought DOS for 50.000 bucks and later labelled MS-DOS, making his way on IBM who left for him the royalties of the software (the money is on machines not on software, the IBM guys said to Bill), also how Bill copied Macintosh OS to latter call it Windows... Do you need 10.000 hours to do this? No, this is a born talent, the guy knew how to achieve things, and this is a inner talent, he could see the opportunities.

Also studies had shown over and over that people with a high IQ have advantage on every situation in life, at the contrary of what he states, that makes you feel better for not "having a IQ of 150" :) Sorry but it is not true, it would be in fact better for all to have an higher IQ, but we must (and this is what he doesn't tell you) learn to live with our limitations and DO THE BEST WITH IT, nothing more.

But the main question is, who needs to be an outtlier? We are living in a culture that promises happiness (because you have fame and fortune) for those who reach a performance level that only some can reach (The Beatles for example), but, if you read the book "Flow" from Mihály Csíkszentmihályi, you will see that any person can experience happiness (in the right circumstances I must say), and no matter if you are a beginner or Michael Jordan, the experience is the same!

We always listen that we should "enjoy the ride" not to think on the final goal, but we in one way or another, as society, continue to developing this sense of "only them are real happy pepople", and off course we are always trying to see what they "did" to get there.

Outliers is interesting if you want to see one side of the coin (the context side), not the whole "success" process, and off course, he won't mention that you don't need it to be happy (if he did, you wouldn't buy his book :) ).

Buy Flow instead, a scientific book (not so easy readable but very consistent) that will show you that happiness is not something that "happens", instead you have to fight for it, and he shows how you can do it (fight for it), is not the typical "self-help tell me what I want to hear" book, but very, very useful.

I recommend you to read this book just to have a good time reading interesting stories that only tell one side of the story.

The fact that he only tells one side of the story doesn't imply that the book is not interesting, (it is).

Regards
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2011 1:45 PM PDT

The Power of Intention
The Power of Intention
by Wayne W. Dyer
Price: $9.77
438 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't read this review if you want to know the truth about "manifestation...", December 4, 2008
This review is from: The Power of Intention (Paperback)

I made all the mantras they say here, and believe me, nothing happened, no wait, my financial situation actually got worse!!!

Only when I started to visit a "real" psychologist, my life startet to turn to a "real" good life, a better work, making theaters clases to learn how the be an actor (what a always wanted since I was 16, but never had the courage to do it), and so on. Today I can say I have a happy life, because, and I quote, I live in the "real" world right now, I am working hard to change my financial situation, and I know it will take a long time to fix the mess I made following so many self-"help" books.

Do you know what the secret really is? And nobody from the self-help business want you to know??????

YOU DON'T NEED THEIR BOOKS TO HAVE A HAPPY LIFE!!!

If you are confused about your life, or you don't know what path follow to have a better life as I was so many years ago, instead of reading this "be happy now" books, go to a psychologist, or to a certified life-coach, and you will see that after fixing the mess you have in your head, your life will be "the mirror" that will reflect a better life for you, in the "real" world.

The only self-help books I found very useful after all this years of research, are from Dr. Martin Seligman, Dr. David Burns and Tony Robbins, they talk about the real life but even their books won't replace any therapist.

This kinds of books are like the tv comercials that say "lose weight fast and get a body like this in 10 days!", are you really sure you want to put your mental health (this books cause depression in the long term) in risk and spend your time trying this? It's very attractive to the people that feels lost, but thanks to God there are people that "really" know how to help others.

You could ask me, do you have a explanation for the people that get "lucky" and win the lottery for example? No, I don't have it, and honestly, I don't think any of us could "really" know about it, but the real question is: from the people that have a happy life, 90% worked hard to get it (to have a healhy body, financial stability, loving relationship...), and 10% got "lucky" (won the lottery, etc...), so if you were in a cassino betting your life, in which place you would bet? Why try the path of the few winners??? Why don't try the path of the people that with patience and endurance works for a better life for them and for others around them?

I hope this review is helpfull to you trying to understand what is all this fuzz about this book and dvd.

God bless you all.
Comment Comments (13) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 30, 2013 7:39 AM PST

The Law of Attraction: The Basics of the Teachings of Abraham
The Law of Attraction: The Basics of the Teachings of Abraham
by Jerry Hicks
Price: $16.32
106 used & new from $0.51

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't read this review if you don't want to know the truth about the "law of attraction", December 4, 2008

God bless you all.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 16, 2014 3:18 AM PDT

The Secret
The Secret
by Rhonda Byrne
Price: $17.99
1860 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't read this review if you don't want know to truth about the secret..., December 4, 2008
This review is from: The Secret (Hardcover)
I've been into the self-help books since I was 20, today I am 34 and I've read 200 (or more) books of this kind (including almost all books from "the law of attraction"), so after so many years reading so much rubbish my mind was very confused and my life too. On the financial realm, I got a enourmous debt, on the professional realm, I got only stress and more stress and a unhappy job, the more I "tryed" to use the secret and others "tools" (like Dyer Japa meditation to manifestation...) the more my life sunk. One day, in deep depression I collapsed, and I did what I should have done 10 years ago, going to a psychologist, a real professional about our mind health.