Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now STEM
Profile for J. Frank > Reviews

Browse

J. Frank's Profile

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Frank RSS Feed (Albany, NY United States)

Couch
Couch
by Benjamin Parzybok
Price: $16.00
61 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A new favorite of mine, January 6, 2010
This review is from: Couch (Paperback)
This book is a new addition to my top 10 ever. A perfect mix of the modern and the magical. Funny, insightful, and powerful.

Eternal Treblinka: Our Treatment of Animals and the Holocaust
Eternal Treblinka: Our Treatment of Animals and the Holocaust
by Charles Patterson
Price: $11.60
84 used & new from $2.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Educational and Interesting for All Audiences, February 27, 2002
When I first picked up Eternal Treblinka I must admit it was with some degree of skepticism. My reservations were not about the quality of the writing or research in the book; I had high expectations in that regard and the book in fact surpassed my expectations. I was concerned that the book might be too esoteric to have any general appeal. After all, people concerned about animals in our society are a relatively small group. People with a strong interest in the Holocaust are also a small and probably shrinking group. A book that combines the two topics, I reasoned, might appeal to very few people.
I was very wrong in my thinking here. This is a book with a very broad appeal. The book is not just about a single event in history (horrific as that event may have been) nor is it about the views of some "fringe" animal rights activists. This book drives at an issue central to all of human history; a problem that arguably has caused most of the preventable suffering since the dawn of civilization.
Patterson adeptly demonstrates how throughout human history mankind has created a division between both their own group and their "inferiors"-both human and animal. And how that division has led to horrific abuse of both humans and animals.
This is a wonderfully enlightening book, filled with overlooked and fascinating historical tidbits. Although history has never been a topic particularly interesting to me, I found myself frequently feeling compelled to stop and tell whoever was in the room, "Hey, did you know that.."
Eternal Treblinka is surprising for its readability as well as its broad appeal. Somehow, Patterson managed to turn this educational work of non-fiction into something of a page-turner.
This book is recommended for readers from a wide range of perspectives. Knowledgeable animal activists will find plenty of new information here. People who have some affection for animals but are on the fence regarding societal animal mistreatment will quite likely have a change in perspective after reading Patterson's unemotional and clearly well-researched historical account. This book may have a particularly powerful effect on readers who have ties to the Holocaust but who may not have given much consideration to the plight of animals. For my friends in this category, I know what their next gift will be.