Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM
Profile for Mitchell Underwood > Reviews

Browse

Mitchell Underwood's Profile

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mitchell Underwood RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Baofeng UV-5R Water Proof Bag White
Baofeng UV-5R Water Proof Bag White
Offered by EmBest
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Leak!, March 11, 2016
In spite of the seller's warning that this bag is not submersible, in my testing, it does not leak when submerged in shallow water. My intended use is to protect the radio while kayaking, and the bag will either be tethered to my boat or attached to a floating wrist strap. From what I've seen so far, I think this bag offers adequate protection against damage if the radio falls overboard or if my kayak flips. The bag is quite large and easily fits my BF-F9V2+ or my UV-5R with the larger Baofeng stock antenna.

Nathan Strobe Light, Imperial Purple
Nathan Strobe Light, Imperial Purple
Price: $8.30
15 used & new from $3.31

4.0 out of 5 stars Purple version actually lights up red, November 23, 2015
This review is from: Nathan Strobe Light (Sports)
The light is plenty bright but I was disappointed that the actual LEDs are not purple! The plastic casing is purple and looks very pretty, but I was expecting it to actually glow purple. Nonetheless it should still serve its intended purpose of making my girlfriend more visible when she runs.

Tracer360 - Revolutionary Illuminated and Reflective Vest for Running or Cycling Including Multicolored LED Fiber Optics (Women & Men, Adjustable, Lightweight, Weatherproof Gear for Jogging, Biking, Walking)
Offered by noxgear
Price: $69.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, November 22, 2015
This is really cool! It's super visible, especially from behind since the control unit on your back glows very brightly in addition to the light ropes that wrap around your body. I usually use it on the most obnoxious every-color strobe mode, and haven't been hit by any cars yet, so it must be working! Lol... In all seriousness though, I use this for running together with a Nathan Halo Fire headlamp, a Nathan Strobe light, and a Nathan Streak reflective vest. I considered ditching the reflective vest when I got the Tracer360, but my girlfriend drove past me while I was out for a run and pointed out that she could see, in order, the light from my headlamp, reflections of her headlights from my reflective vest, and then the Tracer360. As bright as the Tracer360 is, car headlights are a lot brighter, and having a reflective vest on your body might make you visible sooner. Nonetheless, the Tracer360 is probably more likely to grab a driver's attention than a reflective vest, even if the reflective vest might be visible from further away. Just one final comment about the Tracer360... I'm a 6'1", 165 lb. male and the M/L size fits pretty well, though the light tubes feel a bit long. After snugging them up on my shoulders, there's too much extra around my chest. I used a zip tie around the tubes beneath the control unit on my back to hold the two tubes together and take up some of the extra slack.

Nathan Halo Fire Headlamp, Black Atomic Blue
Nathan Halo Fire Headlamp, Black Atomic Blue
Price: $99.56
14 used & new from $59.33

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall very good, with a few little annoyances, November 16, 2015
This review is from: Nathan Halo Fire Headlamp (Sports)
I've used my Nathan Halo Fire for several nighttime runs now, and I have to say that I really like it. The battery life is spectacular (no more worrying that I'll be in the dark at the end of an hour long run!), and it is very lightweight. The auto-strobe feature is great, and is my favorite feature of the headlamp. It causes the light to blink when it detects an oncoming car's headlights, which makes you extremely visible.

I do still have a few (mostly technical) complaints about the product, but they're certainly not deal breakers, and I'm not sure that any other headlamp would necessarily be better. Overall I strongly recommend this headlamp to any nighttime runner, but here are a few of the reasons why it didn't get 5 stars:

1. The headlamp is bright, but doesn't feel like 240/288 (high/sprint mode) lumens bright. I think this is largely because of the "Run-Right Light" beam pattern, which emphasizes flood-light rather than spot-light. I'd prefer a little bit more spot and a little bit less flood so that the light can illuminate further away, but it's just a personal preference. The flood pattern does illuminate almost my entire field of view at reasonable distances, allowing for more peripheral vision. [For what it's worth, the labeling on the box it comes in says the "spot" part of the "Run-Right Light" is 160 lumens, which I would say qualitatively is about right.]

2. The "RunWave" feature allows you to change lighting modes by waving your hand in front of the light. It works OK, but generally takes a few tries, and will sometimes skip two modes at once or not at all. When RunWave is enabled, you unfortunately cannot use the power button to toggle between brightness settings, so you're stuck waving your hand back and forth until it gets to the mode you want. It was particularly difficult to use RunWave while auto-strobe was enabled... the reflection of the light off my hand would trigger the auto-strobe rather than make the light change brightness.

3. If you plan to use the lamp in "manual control" mode, it operates with regulated brightness so that the light doesn't get dimmer as the battery drains. Unfortunately, it only gives you 100% brightness for 5 minutes then falls back to 80% brightness till the battery runs out. I've found that the light is actually brighter for longer in the unregulated modes, and after a 40 minute run on high didn't notice it getting much dimmer from battery drain. I wish regulated mode would give you 100% brightness the whole time, and I also wish you could select regulated mode at the same time as auto-strobe.

4. Lastly, this lamp uses pulse-width modulation (PWM) in all modes, so there is a slight flicker that is becomes very obvious when moving objects (like rain drops) pass through the light beam. This is probably a necessary tradeoff to achieve long battery life, as switch/PWM type power supplies are extremely efficient.

5. The charging status is indicated by a small LED that is red when charging and green when complete. If the headlamp is already fully charged when you plug it in, the charging indicator simply doesn't come on. I thought my lamp was defective at first when that happened, but it turns out that's just how the indicator light works.

In spite of these things, as I said above, I strongly recommend this headlamp. I'm satisfied with my purchase and most of my complaints above are really just minor annoyances. The light ultimately does what it's supposed to, and that's light up my night time runs. I supplement it with a Noxgear Tracer 360 color-strobing vest, a Nathan Streak reflective vest, and a Nathan Strobe Light (Tango Red) on the back of the Halo Fire headband.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 18, 2015 8:00 AM PST

Westinghouse WH2000iXLT, 1800 Running Watts/2200 Starting Watts, Gas Powered Portable Inverter
Price: $509.64
8 used & new from $458.68

1.0 out of 5 stars DOA, "Low Oil" Shutdown Even When Oil is Not Low, March 1, 2015
Shuts down after a few seconds to a few minutes of running even under no load. "Low oil" indicator light comes on for a second, then it shuts off. The oil is not low. I have tried everything - leaving Eco mode off for several minutes, leaving the engine partially choked, leaving the engine fully choked - it manages to stall every single time I use it. I've even tried switching to a lower viscosity oil (10W-30) as suggested in the manual for cooler ambient temperatures. If I restart it enough times, eventually it will run and keep running, but it is unacceptable that a brand new $600 generator should be this hard to start. On the bright side, Wayfair (the Amazon Marketplace seller I purchased it from) is shipping me a replacement at no cost to me. If the replacement works I will gladly update this review.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2016 7:20 AM PST

AmazonBasics 11.6-Inch Laptop and Tablet Bag
AmazonBasics 11.6-Inch Laptop and Tablet Bag
Price: $13.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Surface Pro 3, Albeit Snug, January 21, 2015
I was able to fit everything I need for my Surface Pro 3 in this bag, however it's a very tight fit. If the front pocket were slightly bigger, I'd give it a full 5 stars, but its just small enough to be inconveniently snug when anything thicker than a 1/4 to 1/2 inch is put in there. Nonetheless, I managed to fit all of the following in this bag:
- Microsoft Surface Pro 3 with Type Cover, in an Incipio folio case
- Microsoft Surface Pro 3 power cord
- Portable USB 3.0 Blu-ray burner with integrated USB cable
- Anker portable cell phone charger, 3.2Ah model (extra USB power for the Blu-ray burner)
- USB Y cable (for whenever extra USB power is needed for other devices)
- AmazonBasics USB 3.0 4-port hub (to connect multiple devices to the Surface)
- Power cord for Amazon Basics USB 3.0 hub (again, for USB power since the Surface's USB port can't handle multiple high power USB devices)
- 5 foot USB extension cord (to use the Surface Pro 3 power cord's auxiliary USB power port)
- Surface Pro USB Ethernet adapter
- Microfiber screen cleaning cloth

By the time I get through packing the Surface Pro 3 and all the accessories needed to make its USB port perform like a normal laptop, the case bulges a bit and it's not terribly small compared with a normal laptop, but I guess in reality most people (including myself) don't need that many USB connectivity options at all times. If you are just storing a Surface Pro 3 and power cord in this case it's really a great snug fit.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2015 3:18 PM PST

Xantrex 806-1210 PROwatt 1000 SW Inverter
Xantrex 806-1210 PROwatt 1000 SW Inverter
Price: $229.55
97 used & new from $195.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Inverter for Off-Grid Cabin, December 6, 2014
We use this inverter to power an off-grid cabin in the mountains of Vermont. It runs everything spectacularly, including a high efficiency chest freezer which we have converted into a refrigerator, a 750W toaster, a whole bunch of LED/CFL lights, a cell phone booster, some small fans. Admittedly, we're generally not running all of these things simultaneously, and there may be some fringe scenarios that would trigger an overload such as if the fridge kicks on while the toaster is running, but so-far-so-good for us - it seems to meet our needs very well.

Some things to consider if you intend to use it like this.
1. Get high quality cables to connect the batteries to this unit. We made the mistake of skimping a bit on the wiring at first (we used the minimum recommended 4AWG), and just ended up spending even more money to replace our wires with the recommended 1/0AWG a few months later.
2. If you connect this to an off-grid service panel that has a neutral-ground bond at the panel, you may end up inadvertently causing the GFCI receptacle in the inverter to trip. Always follow your local electrical codes or consult an electrician to make sure you install this safely, but in our case what seemed to work was to use a 2 prong-to-3 prong adapter when plugging the house into the inverter. The house wiring is still grounded because of the bond at the panel, and the inverter case can still be grounded through the lug on the back of the inverter (to a different ground rod). What this adapter does is ensure that current that goes out over the hot wire from the inverter will return to the inverter over the neutral wire only, and not through the ground wire between the panel and the inverter.
3. Make sure the batteries you're using to power the inverter are beefy enough to handle the power load. In our case we started with one 100Ah sealed lead acid battery, and have since worked up to three 100Ah batteries. This is enough power to get through a typical weekend at our cabin, especially in the summer when there's enough sun to recharge the batteries using our solar panels. We do still depend on a battery charger and generator to top things off in the winter and cloudy/rainy weekends.
4. Consider getting a Kill-A-Watt meter to plug into the inverter to more easily track usage. The inverter does display the instantaneous wattage of the load, but it doesn't seem to be nearly as accurate as the Kill-A-Watt, and the Kill-A-Watt can tell you the total kWh used. You can then multiply the kWh by a factor of 83 to determine the number of Ah consumed from your battery bank.

Battery Cable with 3/8" and 5/16" Lugs for Power Inverter Converter Solar 12 Volt Bank (3ft, 1/0 AWG SGX)
Offered by Advance MCS Electronics
Price: $39.44
2 used & new from $36.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular Wire!, December 6, 2014
Spectacular cable for a fair price! We purchased this in the 3 ft. 1/0AWG variety for our 1000W Xantrex inverter that we use to power our off-grid cabin in the mountains of Vermont. We were previously using 4AWG copper-coated aluminum wires which worked fine for most of what we did, but would sometimes cause our inverter to emit a low-voltage chirp when our refrigerator (actually an ultra high efficiency chest freezer converted into a refrigerator) kicked on. We bought those wires with the hope of saving some money, but my advice after seeing how our system has grown in the last year is that you should just buy the good stuff up front and save yourself the hassle down the road.

Something worth thinking about - if you plan to use these wires in a solar power setup, make sure you follow the recommendations of your inverter manufacturer regarding fuses. In our case, we cut one of these wires and installed an inline ANL fuse block. If you go that route, make sure you've got some really heavy duty tools to cut this wire (esp. the 1/0AWG size), because your standard wire cutter just won't quite cut it for wire this thick (no pun intended!)

Replacement 2011 Ford Fusion Button Keyless Entry Remote Head Key Fob
Replacement 2011 Ford Fusion Button Keyless Entry Remote Head Key Fob
Offered by Your Key Supplier
Price: $24.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value Compared to OEM Key, December 6, 2014
This key works great in my 2011 Ford Fusion. I had the key cut for just a couple dollars at a local mom & pop hardware store, then programmed it myself using directions from the car's manual and online.

A few things to be aware of:
1. I went to 4 different places before I found one that would cut the key for me. The others either weren't equipped to cut a key with an integrated transmitter or didn't want to do it for some unknown reason. Searching online turns up a few results about other people who had similar problems finding a place to cut a customer-supplied blank key.
2. The metal part of the key is not quite identical to the genuine Ford key. It seems to be close enough and works fine, but the place that did finally cut the key for me was very concerned that it wouldn't work as a result. This is the reason I'm only giving the key 4 stars on this review.
3. As stated in the description, you need two existing keys to be able to program this key to work in the ignition.
4. There are two steps to programming the car to work with this key. First, you need to program the car to accept this key in the ignition by following the directions in the car's user manual. Then, you need to program the car to respond to the integrated transmitter by following directions that (at least in my case) I found online. In total it took about 5 minutes or less to program.

Overall though, I'm extremely happy as the total cost of this key plus getting it cut at the hardware store was 6x less expensive than what I was quoted by Ford for a genuine replacement.

Wilson Sleek 4G-V Cradle Booster for Verizon LTE 815126
Wilson Sleek 4G-V Cradle Booster for Verizon LTE 815126

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable Increase in Signal Strength, February 24, 2014
We have a cabin in the mountains of Vermont and have for the last 15 years or so, had absolutely no cell phone service (we used to get a weak analog signal before everything went digital, but now there is absolutely no service whatsoever). Before purchasing, I contacted Wilson technical support and was told that they didn't expect that any of their amplifiers would help us because of the location of the towers and the mountainous terrain. So, rather than spending a lot of money on a booster for the cabin, I got a Sleek unit which I figured might be useful nearby even if it wouldn't work at the cabin. To my great surprise, the Sleek works perfectly at the cabin. My phone went from No Service to "3 bars" of 1X Verizon service. I say "3 bars" in quotes because while that's what the phone displays, based on call quality, etc., I'd guess there's more like 1 bar of actual useable service. But, 1 bar is enough to make phone calls home or to dial 911 in an emergency. Since I had such good luck with the Sleek, I plan to purchase a permanent unit for the cabin with a directional antenna. Adjusted properly, we should have rock solid phone service and maybe (fingers crossed!), even a little bit of 3G for Internet use.

Page: 1 | 2