Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now
Profile for Sarah Blakeslee > Reviews

Browse

Sarah Blakeslee's Profile

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sarah Blakeslee "Sarah" RSS Feed (Colorado, USA)

Gingher 4 Inch Embroidery Scissors
Gingher 4 Inch Embroidery Scissors
Price: $18.69
16 used & new from $15.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little scissors!, March 9, 2011
Okay first thing I need to mention is that there are a couple errors in the description for this item. I suspected these were errors before purchasing the scissors, and was glad to see I was right. There is nothing gold plated on the handle of the scissors - they look just like the picture (shiny silver). Also, the metal tin they come in is silver, not gold as mentioned in the description. Since I do not like gold colored plating, I was happy with this description mistake.

My mom had a pair of Ginghers growing up and when I recently got into sewing I looked around to see if technology had evolved since then. I found that Gingher scissors are still number one and so I purchased a pair of Gingher G-7 7-Inch Knife-Edge Dressmaker's Shears and these 4" classic embroidery scissors. When I received my embroidery shears they were well packaged in a tiny tin. My first thought was "oh no, these are so small they won't really be that useful!" However, I was seriously wrong. While the scissors are fairly small (the 4" refers to the length of the entire scissors, not just the blade), they are very sharp and have a fine tip which can even rip out threads to get things started for the seam ripper. They will easily cut through cord for piping and, while I wouldn't want to cut out an entire project with them, they can handle trimming several layers of fabric around an edge or corner. They have a precision that my dressmaker shears lack. One of the best features for me is that (assuming you use your right hand) they are ergonomically correct no matter which side you happen to pick them up from. The leather sheath is very useful and well crafted. You can feel the quality when you are holding the scissors, and can rest assured because Gingher backs up their products for life.

In all, I use these scissors way more than I envisioned I would and am very pleased with the purchase. There is something about sewing with quality tools which makes the experience more enjoyable!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2014 7:50 AM PST

Fiskars 7 Inch Knife-Edge Dressmaker's Shears 01005281
Fiskars 7 Inch Knife-Edge Dressmaker's Shears 01005281
Price: $18.93
17 used & new from $14.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like mom's, February 27, 2011
I remember the special occasion when I was younger and my mom was given a pair of what I believe were the equivalent of the 8" dressmakers shears. She was ecstatic and proceeded to use them with care for many years. She still uses them today. I recently got into sewing and thought there might be something better out there since technology was sure to develop over 15 years. I was wrong, Gingher is still number one, and their classic style still dominates. I purchased this 7" pair and absolutely love them. They come in a lovely red lined tin. There is no leather sheath included with this model, so if that bothers you then I would recommend getting the 8" dressmaker shears because they do come with a tin and the sheath. Personally, this does not bother me because I don't have to worry about any little ones or pets hurting themselves.

When you first open the tin, the shiny scissors scream quality. When you pick up the scissors, you instantly recognize that they are well balanced. The center balance point is just in front of where your index finger goes in the lower blade. The weight is substantial but not burdensome at 1/4 pound exactly. I like the 7" size because I feel like I have good control over my cuts. They are very sharp and, while I plan on purchasing a pair of Gingher 4" embroidery scissors for the task, they are useful in nipping threads and cutting seams. These scissors had no problem cutting through multi-layer (sometimes 4-5 times thick!) duck canvas on a project I recently finished where I made reusable shopping bags.

These scissors have marking under the "Gingher" logo stating that they are made in Italy. It is my understanding that the blade sharpening takes place in South Carolina. The tin they come in is made in China.

One other reviewer mentioned that they had issues with rust on their scissors. I live in a fairly dry climate (Colorado Springs), so this is not an issue for me. I can't help but wonder whether this reviewer lives in a very humid climate, or if the scissors are stored in an area that experiences a lot of moisture. These scissors are not made of any materials different than other Gingher models, so you can rest assured you are getting the best quality.

The Lizard Man Speaks (Corrie Herring Hooks Series, No. 26)
The Lizard Man Speaks (Corrie Herring Hooks Series, No. 26)
by Eric R. Pianka
41 used & new from $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for anyone interested in herpetology, field studies, or an fascinating life story of an interesting man, March 2, 2007
I am a college student studying organismic biology. I am taking an ecology class this semester and our text is by Eric Pianka. Herpetology is one of my passions so when I found out Pianka was a "lizard man" I did some research and came upon this book. It turned out to be everything I hoped it would be. The book is written in a manner that engages the reader; you will be held captive as he writes about his childhood experiences and methods of lizarding.

Bio Ionic iDry Whisper Light Conditioning Dryer 1400 watts
Bio Ionic iDry Whisper Light Conditioning Dryer 1400 watts

5.0 out of 5 stars No more straightening iron for me!, March 2, 2007
I have fine to medium naturally wavy hair that is three to four inches longer than my collar bone. This hairdryer makes my hair straight, smooth, and soft. I have no need for my straightening iron anymore! It is also great to know I am not damaging my hair as much as I would with a lesser dryer. It is very quiet, relatively lightweight for a salon grade dryer, quick drying, and is a non-annoying attractive white pearl color. It leaves me (and my hair) feeling beautiful. The price is a bit steep, but for a dryer that is rated to last much longer than drugstore brands, does less damage to your hair, and helps to create salon worthy blowouts, it is worth it!!!

REVIEW UPDATE----March 9, 2011
I have now been using this dryer for 4 years now and it works like the day I got it in the mail. They only care and maintenance I have ever given it was to clean out the filters a few times. I've traveled with it, and still don't own another dryer - it's been my only one for the past 4 years. I love this dryer and hope I get another 4 years (or more) out of it!

REVIEW UPDATE----March 25, 2012
This dryer finally gave out today in a spectacular fashion with sparks. However, I would not hesitate to buy this one again. 5 years being my only hairdryer was well worth it for the price and quality!