Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Back to School
Profile for Paul F. Downing > Reviews

Browse

Paul F. Downing's Profile

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Paul F. Downing RSS Feed (Florida)

Page: 1 | 2
Mpow Wolverine Bluetooth Headphones V4.1 Wireless Sport Headphones Noise Cancelling In-ear Stereo Earbuds 8-Hour Playing Time with Mic for Running Jogging Exercise
Offered by Patozon

3.0 out of 5 stars Fit and sound quality was adequate for a $20 item ..., August 1, 2016
Fit and sound quality was adequate for a $20 item. I used it every weekday morning for a 4 mile run. 2 months into ownership, in the middle of a run, the sound just quit. Brought them home and tried to recharge them with no success. Sending them to the landfill now. $10 per month for adequate sound and fit was too high a price to pay for these duds.

I raised the stars to 3 because of the superlative service provided by the company. After reading my review above, the company contacted me through Amazon and replaced the product at no charge. If the reliability of the new product is substantially improved, I will raise the review by an additional star. From a price quality analysis the product is fine if the reliability is there.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 3, 2016 7:47 PM PDT

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Use extreme caution in ordering this filter as it may not fit and the return window is small, April 10, 2016
They advertise this as compatible with the Thermador OEM model filter, yet when I went to install it, it couldn't be installed because of significant physical changes in the symmetry of the filter. To compound the situation, I ordered this filter three months before I needed it, and when II went toi put it in, I found out that the return window has expired. This filter may work in some situations but definitely not in mine. Attached are several pictures with the filter on the left being the one I removed from the fridge and the one on the right is the one I am reviewing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 17, 2016 1:17 PM PDT

Offered by eTherapy
Price: $6.59
5 used & new from $5.47

1.0 out of 5 stars Nokia 2520, December 11, 2013
Did not work with the Nokia 2520 Tablet. A full cord with an integrated micro HDMI worked fine. but the adapter with a standard HDMI cord did not function.

Nokia Lumia 2520 4G LTE Tablet, Black 10.1-Inch 32GB (Verizon Wireless)
Nokia Lumia 2520 4G LTE Tablet, Black 10.1-Inch 32GB (Verizon Wireless)
3 used & new from $164.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good experience that should only get better with more applications, December 6, 2013
I am not a neophyte when it comes to computers or tablets. I am what some companies consider an early adopter. My first tablet was the original I Pad, which I still have and use. Approximately a year ago, I acquired a Lumia 820 cell phone through Verizon. I had used multiple phone OS (Android, IOS, Blackberry) in the past, but the windows OS was something that intrigued me. Right at the start though, you have to realize that Windows RT (2520) and Lumia Windows OS phones are not identical. The apps that are available on the windows phone, may not be available for the 2520. I have set up NetFlix, Zillow, and Bank of America apps on the 2520, but I am waiting for apps such as Slingbox, which is already on my phone. The app store for Windows RT is sparse at this point. Hopefully Microsoft will be aggressive in merging the Windows RT and Phone OS.
The hardware is exquisite and extremely responsive. Set up is easy and fast, although you should immediately update the system, which takes about 20 minutes. WiFi connections are easy and stable. The screen keyboard is very easy to use and the auto correct feature is not obtrusive. For those who ordered prior to December 2nd (US Only I believe), there is a free power keyboard with a future delivery date of 6 - 8 weeks from purchase of the 2520. Not sure if this promotion will be extended. The power keyboard is specked to deliver another 5 hours of battery life to the already impressive 11 hours of battery life on the 2520. So far the battery life has met all the manufacturers claims. There is a micro HDMI port for connection to a monitor or large screen TV. Be careful in ordering cables or adapters. It is a MICRO HDMI, not a MINI HDMI. Mini HDMI's do not work. I have not played with the USB 3 port, and I'm not sure how much I will need to use that port. The Sky Drive option to share files between my desktop and laptop works so seamlessly, I may never need another jump drive. I have two HP network inkjets on my home network, but the 2520 only "found" the HP 6500A. and never recognized the HP 6310. One of the deciding factors for me in acquiring this system versus the Surface II was the capability of the 2520 to do more that just WiFi. Although you do not have to purchase a plan from Verizon in order to buy the 2520, you do have to have it activated on the Verizon system. Verizon did not charge me for activation, but that may be because of my corporate account status. I immediately turned the data plan off, and I will use WiFi for 90% of my usage of the 2520. I have 2GB per month of data under my shared phone plan, and given a judicious use of WiFi versus network data, I believe that should be sufficient. Overall, for one week of use I am very satisfied with my purchase. Screen clarity and visibility, even in direct sunlight is superior to anything else I have seen in the tablet group. It is refreshing to go to web sites and have them rendered as they are on my desk top, unlike the safari browser on the I Pad. Adobe flash works well without special applications. It is a real boon to me to have Microsoft Office with Sky drive available to synchronize my files. Video files play without additional applications.
I will add additional comments once my power keyboard arrives.

December 11, 2103 update. I purchased two micro HDMI units for the Nokia 2520. The goal was to use the Nokia with my 70" Sharp LED TV. The 15' cord worked perfectly. I used Netflix as the test application and the definition using the Nokia was comparable to using my Roku. I also attempted to use a micro HDMI to HDMI adapter, and it would only display a large red block on the TV even after multiple attempts to reseat the HDMI cord into the adapter. I wanted the adapter to work, as I plan on using the Nokia with an LCD projector, and I didn't want the bother of carrying a cord. Unfortunately, with this adapter, that will not be possible. If someone comes across an adapter that works, please let me know. Meanwhile here are the links to the two products discussed in this update.
Cable Matters High Speed Micro HDMI Cable in Black with Ethernet 15 ft - 3D and 4K Resolution Ready and Gold Plated HDMI Female to Micro HDMI Type D Male Converter Adapter by Atomic Market
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2015 9:58 AM PDT

NETGEAR NeoTV Max Streaming Player (NTV300SL)
NETGEAR NeoTV Max Streaming Player (NTV300SL)
25 used & new from $39.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacement for an aging Slingcatcher, June 28, 2013
I have a sharp 240HZ 70", LCD, and that has been paired with a Roku box and a Slingcatcher (discontinued by Slingbox). The Slingcatcher has always been problematic, and there were instance when I would need to have my daughter adjust her Slingbox software in order for the Slingcatcher to be able to receive the signal. I read some reviews, and decided that the price point on the NeoTV Max made it something that I was willing to gamble on. I'm glad I did. It works perfectly with the Slingbox HD. I have not yet tried it with my old Slingbox Tuner (also discontinued by Slingbox), but I plan on doing that soon. I will update my review when I have accomplished that task. The Netflix and other applications work exactly like the Roku box, although loading the home screen is a few seconds longer. The only negative I can give on the unit is the remote control. I have yet to find a use for the keyboard aspect of the control. The reason I bought the Max was the fact that I thought the remote keyboard would be helpful. If I ever find a use for the keyboard, I will update this review, meanwhile my advice is don't worry about this aspect of the system.

I did hook up my old Slingbox Tuner, and accessed it with my laptop, so I was assured the system was working. It did show up in the Neo TV Slingbox directory, however it noted "Incompatible firmware". Since Slingbox no longer updates the firmware on the older systems, the Neo TV is not able to access the tuner and classic slingbox systems

Westinghouse 7787500 Wireless Ceiling Fan and Light Wall Control
Westinghouse 7787500 Wireless Ceiling Fan and Light Wall Control
Price: $33.80
20 used & new from $24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy installation, but potential leakage with CFL bulbs, May 20, 2013
I have installed this wall switch on several different brands of ceiling fans, and I must admit that the installation is easy for someone with minimal electrical knowledge. In my experience the only real negative has been a problem with a Hampton Bay fan from Home Depot. That fan came with a light kit that included two CFL lights. When I first installed everything, I was extremely satisfied with how things worked. The dimmer did not function (either off or on, no stops in between), however I assumed that was the nature of the bulbs, not the switch. That evening as I was lying in bed, I couldn't help but notice a very low level of flickering in one bulb. I tried different CFL bulbs, and the flickering still appeared. It became more prominent when I physically touched the bulb. There was no flickering with a standard light bulb. I took the controller down and rechecked all the connections. After reinstalling the remote, the flickering was still there. I stress, that it is not noticeable during the day, unless you remove the light canopy and closely examine the bulb. It is plainly visible at night, but still very low level. I did go to the company web site and emailed the issue to them. When they respond I will update this review. It is interesting to note that the package for this controler plainly states "Not reccomended for use with Hunter Originals". No reason for this warning is provided, but my assumption is that there could be the same scenario at play here. The unit works fine with the other fan I recently installed. That other fan is a Westinghouse fan I acquired through Amazon, and it also has CFL lights, but no flickering at any level.

Give Westinghouse credit for getting back to me the same day. Here was their response. I will add one star for the timely response rate.

"The unit you installed includes a dimmer circuit for the lights, and is not recommended for CFL lights that are not designed to be used on dimmers.
CFLs installed on dimmers can experience flickering, noise, and dramatically shortened life.
If the fan you are using is designed for CFLs only, then I would recommend a different type of control system that does not utilize a dimmer circuit, or changing the lights to dimmable CFLs".

Intersting enough, when you look at reviews for dimmable CFL's, there are generally two complaints. Cost and flickering. Since the world is going CFL or LED, regardless of other issues, I may try the more expensive Lutron equivalent to see if the performance is any better.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2014 8:05 AM PST

Life and Death on the Greenland Patrol, 1942 (New Perspectives on Maritime History and Nautical Archaeology)
by P.J. Capelotti
Price: $59.95
33 used & new from $11.26

5.0 out of 5 stars A vivid account of how things really worked on the Greenland Patrol, March 25, 2013
I bought this book for my 93 year old father who is suffering with early forms of dementia. He was on the second and final voyage of the Nanok, and this book has brought back all sorts of memories of serving under Rufus Drury. He continually finds passages that remind him of his actual experiences and then will go into extended discussions of how they survived in an environment that continually tried to kill them. Beyond the historical accuracy of this book, it has been a blessing to me as he prose has lifted the shroud over distant memories and enabled me to connect with my father on a level never before achieved. Cheers to snot nosed Rufus Drury and his merry band of ruffians (as my father says the crew described themselves).

Slingplayer
Slingplayer
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great application for the Kindle Fire, February 4, 2012
This review is from: Slingplayer (App)
Before I discuss the application I want to comment on several of the other reviews. Some people complained that they were not warned that they needed a Solo or HD Slingbox, and that their Classic unit would not be compatible with this application. When I ordered my application, there was a mention of this requirement at several places in the application description. That said, I have both a solo in my own home, and a classic unit at my daughter's home in Massachusetts. I also have an IPad, and I have paid for Slingplayer on that device. The IPad (contrary to another person's comment) also does not work on the Classic Slingbox. One more comment regarding the Slingbox. For those of you who are new to Sling Media, you can only have one remote device viewing a Slingbox. If you have the Solo version of the Slingbox, whenever you change the channel on the DVR, you also change the channel for the home viewer. If this is problematic, you may want to consider the HD model, solely for the ability to connect directly to the cable system, while bypassing the cable box or DVR.

The application itself was simple to set up and I was connected to my Sling account within minutes of purchasing this application. I did immediately try to see if the Kindle could connect to my Classic Slingbox, and was quickly informed that the connection could not be made. The connection to my Solo unit was prompt, and painless. The menus are virtually identical to the IPad menus. Since I have been using the IPad for months, I felt very comfortable with the Kindle application. Because of the smaller screen on the Kindle, I did have to set the aspect ratio and zoom to create a letterbox effect. The play was fluid and high quality. The on screen volume control of the Kindle is a plus over the IPad. In all the application does exactly what is claimed.

I am happy that I acquired this application. It complements my two Slingboxes and the Slingcatcher I have installed on my big screen TV
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 1, 2013 10:34 AM PDT

Acase Kindle Fire Premium Micro Fiber Leather Case with built-in Stand for Kindle Fire (Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive Kindle Fire Cover, December 5, 2011
I bought this cover through a link at Dealnews.com, and I must admit up front, that I was looking for inexpensive protection for my new Fire. I really didn't expect much for $15.00, and I was pleasantly surprised by what I received. The cover fits well and provides more than adequate protection. The Fire is snug within the cover, and there is no issue with the unit detaching itself. The stand feature (only in the horizontal mode) works well. In the vertical mode, the cover works fine for right handed people. If you are a lefty it may be a bit inconvenient. Then again, if you are a lefty, many other things in life have prepared you for this inconvenience. My one real negative on the case is the ease of getting at the home menu or back arrow when using it in the horizontal mode. The bottom retaining structure covers the touch point to activate the screen, and it is a bit cumbersome. For the price, it is an excellent cover. If I had paid $45 and had the same issues I would have rated it three stars.

Garmin nüvi 1300LM 4.3-Inch Portable GPS Navigator (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by PIP GAMING
Price: $197.63
25 used & new from $64.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Enough to make me buy a Tom Tom, August 12, 2011
Garmin nüvi 1300LM 4.3-Inch Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Map Updates

I had a Garmin Street Pilot 530 unit for more than 5 years. Unfortunately it was stolen from me in Atlanta. After many years of service I didn't hesitate to buy another Garmin product. I decided I should get a system with lifetime maps and a wider screen, so the 1300 appeared to be the perfect fit. It arrived promptly, and was easy to set up. I immediately updated the maps, and that did take several hours. The display is marvelous, and the unit looked great. With my previous Garmin experience, I didn't hesitate a moment in throwing away the box. That was a big mistake.

I assumed incorrectly that the unit would actually function as a GPS rather than as an attractive always changing nightlight on my dash. And it does function as a GPS after a fashion. If being fashionably late is considered after a fashion. No mater how I set it up, I can't get it to recognize that my street is a two way street. When I leave home, it has no difficulty navigating to the local grocery store. When I ask it to take me home, it takes me 8 miles out of my way. When I am on my street it is telling me to execute a U turn away from my house, so I can approach it from the other direction. I can only assume that lifetime maps means I will spend my lifetime trying to figure out what is happening. If you see a smash and grab GPS thief in Atlanta with a Garmin Street Pilot 530, tell him that you know someone in Tampa who would trade him a 1300 for it, and even throw in $20.

Page: 1 | 2