Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Dolly Parton Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now
Profile for Trademark > Reviews

Browse

Trademark's Profile

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Trademark "Trademark" RSS Feed (Akron, OH)

AKG K712 Pro Over-Ear Mastering/Reference Headphones - Open
AKG K712 Pro Over-Ear Mastering/Reference Headphones - Open
Offered by UTM Inc
Price: $348.99
27 used & new from $270.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sounding and Comfortable!, December 16, 2014
I've been using a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 (250-Ohm) for my serious listening at home for the past few years and a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50x's at work. I mention this, because these are two of the headphones I've compared with the AKG. The AT's are closed-back and I've wanted to pick up a pair of high quality open-back headphones for the office system for several years.

I originally had my eye on a pair of 702's but just never got around to grabbing a pair. (In fairness, I must say that part of the reason was the quality of the M50x's which, dollar for dollar are probably one of the best values around.) In any event, by the time I looked seriously at the AKG 702 the company had moved their production facilities to China (Ugh!) and, according to most reviews, the build quality has suffered. Still, I thought I had found a pair of white 701's on Amazon that were still "Made in Austria".....old stock maybe? I took a chance and ordered, but was disappointed when they arrived and were "Made in China". I kept them for an evaluation period, but immediately went back to my research and finally "bit the bullet" on the AKG Pro Audio K712PRO Studio Headphones.

When the 712's arrived, I already knew from many reviews that they (as did the 701's) needed an extended "burn-in" time. Even though I thought they sounded pretty good out of the box, after about 60 hours of burn-in the difference was clearly audible. I listen to quite a broad varitey of music (mostly in high-resolution) and these simply sound fantastic.

Compared to the 701's there is a tad more bass and the mid-range (particularly vocals) just sounds much more accurate and detailed. In comparing the build quality, there is no comparison. Not that the 701's weren't pretty nice, it's just that when you have them side-by-side, the quality of the Austrian-built headphones is clear.

It was a little trickier to compare the 712's to my trust DT880's, but I have to say that vocal clarity of the AKG's has won me over.....that, and the fact that they are the most comfortable headphones I have ever used. They are extremely light and there is simply no listening fatigue in using them. As an added bonus, they just look super cool. Black with orange trim and a real leather band. I should mention that the headphones also come with an orange detachable cord and a black coiled cord is also included, as well as a nice velour carrying bag.

Bottom line: I like the AKG' K712 Pro's so well that I returned the 701's and replaced the DT880's with the 712's in my critical listening home system. (The Beyerdynamics DT880's......still a great headphone.....are now used the office for occasional listening.

Extremely happy with the K712 in sound quality and build!

Addendum - I tried posting photos of all three headphones mentioned, but apparently Amazon only allowed one and it is of the 701's. Too bad, the K712's look awesome.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2014 11:18 AM PST

Sony Alpha a7S Mirrorless Digital Camera
Sony Alpha a7S Mirrorless Digital Camera
Price: $2,198.00
13 used & new from $1,679.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! That's all I can say., September 19, 2014
Wow! That's all I can say about the low-light capabilities of this camera. It is truly something special.

I've been using an Olympus E-M1 and Fuji X-T1 for the last year. Both are great cameras, but I decided to try my hand at using a Full-frame. I originally considered the A7/A7r, but I am so glad that I waited until the A7s to pull the trigger and purchase.

The high ISO on this camera cannot be matched. Words fail to accurately describe how I can now take very usable photos in low light, even near total darkness. Photos taken at 6400 ISO look as good as photos taken at 400 or 800 with other cameras.

The Sony AF, while not as fast as the Oly of Fuji mentioned above, still compares quite favorably. It is quick and I haven't experienced any problems....even in low light.

All in all, I am extremely pleased with this camera. The only negatives are its very high price and the limited amount of lenses currently available.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 19, 2014 5:28 PM PDT

PS Audio APW-DACII-US-B PerfectWave Digital Audio Converter MK II (Black)
PS Audio APW-DACII-US-B PerfectWave Digital Audio Converter MK II (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 12, 2014
Wonderful!!!

Lynktec Rechargeable Apex Fine Point Active Stylus for iPad 2/3/4, iPad Air, iPad Mini and Many Android Tablets
Offered by Ocean Reef Electronics
Price: $50.78
7 used & new from $28.35

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, August 12, 2014
If I could give this item less than one star, I would. Stopped working within a week. Unit will charge, but not turn on.

RMG/EMTEC Studio Mastering Tape 900 Series/ 1/4'x2500' 10.5'
RMG/EMTEC Studio Mastering Tape 900 Series/ 1/4'x2500' 10.5'
Offered by RECORDING STORE
Price: $69.95
2 used & new from $64.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Good customer service on error., March 19, 2014
This was the second tape I purchased from The Recording Store. Excellent tape but, unlike the first one, this one was shipped on a plastic reel. However, Tom from The Recording Store apparently was unaware that RMG has mistakenly shipped some of these tapes on a plastic, instead of metal reels. He assured me that The Recording Store always ships their tape on metal reel and agreed to send a metal reel to replace the plastic. If that happens, then I will increase this rating to 5 stars. For now, we'll give them the benefit of the doubt and make it a "4".
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2015 5:46 PM PDT

Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 II AF Zuiko Lens for Olympus Digital SLR Cameras
Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 II AF Zuiko Lens for Olympus Digital SLR Cameras
Price: $489.95
8 used & new from $322.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lens for Olympus OMD EM-1, October 23, 2013
Let's start by just getting this out of the way. I think this is an awesome lens!

GENERAL OVERALL IMPRESSION

I just received my new Olympus OMD EM-1 (replacing my OMD EM-5) and I was anxious to try some Olympus Four Thirds glass on the camera. (I also had purchased the MMF-3 4/3 Adapter). After a few days of significant research, I settled on this little gem.

OTHER THOUGHTS

I spent most of yesterday using this lens with my EM-1 and I am very happy with the results. Since I also own the Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8, I was especially interested in comparing the two lenses. I likely will only keep one.

To be sure, the Oly is quite a bit larger and heavier than the Panny lens. The difference, however, is not so great that it created any real additional burden as a walk-around lens. Still, if you are looking for the smallest camera/ lens combo, then the Panny would probably be your choice.

Build-quality goes to the Oly. It feels much more solid than the Panasonic and the zoom and focus rings operate smoothly. Both are weather-sealed, but, in my opinion, the Olympus really feels like it has a much better build. (Both have metal rings , but there seems to be much more plastic in the Panny lens construction.)

Not that I wanted this review to be a comparison between these two lenses, but the purchase of this lens, for me, was as a possible replacement for the Panasonic. Admittedly, I've never been able to bond with the Panny lens, but up until now, it was really the only option I had for a fast standard zoom on a Micro Four Thirds camera.

The 14-54mm (effective 28mm-108mm) is perfect for me as a walk-around lens and the f2.8-3.5 is certainly fast enough for low light conditions. Quality is excellent and the price of the Oly is significantly less than the Panasonic.

I was especially interested in the Auto Focus speed of this lens. The ability to use both M4/3 lenses and Four Thirds was one of the many reasons I purchased the EM-1. With both Phase and Contrast Detection, I was curious to compare AF speeds. Was I disappointed with the Olympus? Not at all. In fact, I was quite impress. While it may not be quite as fast as a M4/3 lens on my camera, it is pretty darn quick.

FINAL THOUGHTS

I'm not a professional photographer. I'm just a guy who likes to take a lot of pictures (I have over 60,000 photos in my database) Landscapes, vacations, street shooting, grandkids.....you name it. Given that I'm just an average photo nut that does a lot of different kinds of everyday-type photography, I'm at a bit of a loss to explain all the technical reasons why I like the lens. All I can say is that I bonded with it immediately and the results have been really really good.

In the end, all I can say is that I simply really like the build, picture quality, and the way the lens feels and operates on my camera. Is it perfect? Of course not. For one things the Panasonic definitely has a size and weight advantage over the Olympus. There are always trade-offs to be sure, but overall, the one thing I can say which probably sums up my feelings on this lens is this:

I put my Panasonic 12-35 up for sale yesterday. I'm keeping the Olympus 14-54.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2013 5:05 PM PST

Fujifilm X10 12 MP EXR CMOS Digital Camera with f2.0-f2.8 4x Optical Zoom Lens and 2.8-Inch LCD
Offered by Bopo
Price: $449.95
20 used & new from $258.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply put..."Excellent" !, November 18, 2011
I think it is important that someone own, or at least have used, a camera before they submit a review on it. Given that, I'm not sure why anyone considering a purchase of this camera would be interested in a reviewer who says "they hope it's a great camera" or "it will probably be a good camera". There are a lot of discussion forums for that sort of thing. I'm betting that people want to hear from those of us who actually have the thing in our hands....so here goes.

First my credentials. I'm an amateur photographer (at best). I enjoy photography and spend money on what I consider to be quality cameras. In addition to my Nikon D7000, I'm a proud owner of the Fujifilm x100. It has taught me a great deal about photography, especially framing shots and using my feet as my telephoto lens. I'm also the owner of a Canon S95, Panasonic DMC-LC1 (and previously owned the Leica Digilux 2), Sony Nex 5, and Panasonic LX5. I also previously owned a Panasonic GF1.

Why so many small cameras you ask? Because I've never found that ONE that suited all my needs....until now. Don't get me wrong, the Fuji X10 isn't perfect and there are still some tradeoffs, but it is as close as I have come to finding the perfect camera for me.

I have to be honest and say that my favorite camera, and model to which all others are measured, was my Leica Digilux 2. Great build, fantastic lens, and really a great camera. However, it was rather large, only 5 megapixel, poor video performance and had a small sensor. As it aged, it just couldn't compete and I have long looked for a camera to adequately replace it and receive my "favorite" label. The X10 comes as close as a perfect replacement for that camera as you can get and I am amazed. It is my new favorite and I have it with me all of the time.

First, it is really well-built, along the lines of the X100. Secondly, it is small......no, it's not as small as the Canon S95 or even the Panasonic LX5. You won't be able to put it in your shirt pocket, but it fits nicely in a coat pocket or purse. Secondly, it has both an LCD and optical viewfinder. True, the optical viewfinder has its limitations and isn't anywhere approaching the wonderful electronic/optical viewfinder on the X100, BUT it is built-in where many of the small footprint cameras require you to purchase an optical viewfinder as an add-on. The viewfinder comes in handy on sunny days. The AF focus is much faster than the X100.....not quite as fast as the Panasonic GF1, but still pretty good. I love the power on by rotating the lens! Very responsive camera. And what about the lens???? f2.0 - f2.8....Fantastic and oh, those Fuji colors.

I could go on an on about all of the features, but those are listed elsewhere. What you really need to know is that this is a GREAT camera for anyone serious about photography. Well built, full featured, great photos, 4x optical zoom, fast lens, and small enough to carry anywhere. It is, simply put, the best all-around camera I have seen. For many, it will likely be the last camera they ever need to buy. Family shots, vacations, travel, HD video...it seems to meet 95% of my needs and I suspect it will yours. Most importantly, the quality of the pictures is truly top notch.

As so many have said, the best camera is the one that you have with you. For me, I travel a little bit and hate taking my Nikon gear on a plane. Plus, it simply is not feasible to take it everywhere I go. Still, I want to be able to get great photos at any given moment. A family gathering, a trip, whatever. For those kinds of moments, I need a top quality performer and (sorry X100) the 4X zoom can certainly be handy. The X10 is a winner and worth every penny of its purchase price when looking at what you get.

If you're looking for that one camera that will do it all for you and small enough to take everywhere, or a secondary camera to that big Nikon or Canon that you can't always take along.......this may well be THE ONE.

Grado SR60i Headphones (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Grado SR60i Headphones (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Prime Gadget
8 used & new from $188.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Oustanding!, August 31, 2011
I've been looking for a good headphone to use with my digital sound system. (I listen to a lot of hi-resolution songs, primarily 96/24). I came across a couple of reviews of these headphones that gave them some high praises.

I already have several high priced "closed" headphones, but they can become heavy and uncomfortable during long listening sessions. As a result, the headphones I have been searching for needed to lightweight "open" in design.....and I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg. Well, I've found them!!! The best part is the SOUND......incredible under any circumstances, but even more amazing given the price. I can't recommend these highly enough.

PANASONIC LUMIX G Vario Lens, 7-14mm, F4.0 ASPH., Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds, H-F007014 (USA BLACK)
Price: $897.99
12 used & new from $634.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lens!, January 28, 2011
Like many others who purchased this lens, I was torn between the Olympus 9-18mm and Panasonic 7-14mm. If you've done any research on these lenses then you are familiar with their particular pros and cons. For me, I was interested in the very best quality which, in my opinion, was the Panny. I will admit, however, that the size issue concerned me. As it turns out, while it is certainly larger than the Olympus, this lens is only slightly larger than the Panasonic 14-45mm. Even at that, it is a l-o-n-g way from lugging a DSLR around. This lens and my GF1 are still a relatively small and light camera and the build quality is outstanding.

Now for the most important part.....the image quality. Although I have only had the lens for a few days, I am very please with the image quality. in a word....Excellent. In the final analysis, image quality, build, and the additional 2mm made the choice of this lens over the Olympus a good decision. The only negative is the fact that you can't put a filter on this lens, so you'll need to be a little extra careful with it.

I'm excited about an upcoming trip to San Francisco, where I'll really be able to take advantage of this Ultra Wide lens.