Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEM
Profile for Booker > Reviews

Browse

Booker's Profile

Customer Reviews: 90

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Booker RSS Feed (Washington, DC)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
The Martian: A Novel
The Martian: A Novel
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the read, January 11, 2015
There was enough good science that this book was believable, but the science wasn't overbearing. The narrator was great; his snarky humor kept the story moving. However, The Martian wasn't a page-turner for me. I guess it is because it's a man vs. nature book, and even if the 'nature' is Mars, it still felt kind of bland to me. I enjoyed The Martian, but compared to other sci-fi books I've read recently, like the WOOL series, all I can say is that it's likable enough, but not something that is life-changing or will stay with you for a while after you put it down.

Philips 452978 60-Watt Equivalent SlimStyle A19 LED Light Bulb Soft White, Dimmable
Offered by ecobeam
Price: $5.86
38 used & new from $4.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good bulb, November 24, 2014
I was skeptical of this A-shape light when I bought it. I thought it would be ugly, but it's not. It puts out light evenly (it's not like a floodlight, when I kind of expected from the shape), the light isn't harsh, and it comes on instantly, unlike a lot of the older energy saving lightbulbs. I think the cost per lightbulb is high, but they say you make the money back in energy savings.

Hamilton Beach Wave Crusher Multi-Function Blender
Hamilton Beach Wave Crusher Multi-Function Blender
Price: $29.92
58 used & new from $24.18

4.0 out of 5 stars Good blender, November 24, 2014
I got this blender after my old, normal, skinny one died, and I like this one more. The larger glass bottom seems to keep things from getting stuck down there, and it blends better. It's not the most amazing blender in the world, but it does everything I need. My one complaint is that the lid doesn't stick on great, and it often leaks when I use the top to pour my smoothies into a glass. But that's a small inconvenience, and it's a good value for the price.

Stainless Steel Double Espresso Coffee Scoop Measure
Stainless Steel Double Espresso Coffee Scoop Measure
Offered by Hold N Storage
Price: $8.78
5 used & new from $8.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple item shipped to your door, November 24, 2014
Good price and exactly as advertised. It's nice finding stuff like this on Amazon and not having to hunt for it in real stores.

iPhone 6s Case Black, LUVVITT [ClearView] Hybrid Scratch Resistant Back Cover with Shock Absorbing Bumper for Apple iPhone 6/6s (4.7) - Clear / Black
Offered by Luvvitt
Price: $12.99
7 used & new from $6.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with this purchase, November 24, 2014
I like this case. It's really lightweight and thin, it fits snugly, but the edges are raised, adding additional protection for the screen. It has protected my phone the dozen or so times I've already dropped it. It looks just like the pictures, and the price is good.

Contigo AUTOSEAL West Loop Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel Travel Mug with Easy-Clean Lid, 16oz, Polar White
Price: $12.19
18 used & new from $10.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Great coffee mug, August 30, 2014
I've been using this travel mug for about two weeks, and it's exactly as advertised. I throw it in my bag full, and when I arrive at work nothing has spilled. I've put it in the dishwasher a few times, and there have been no problems. I'm very happy with this purchase.

Belkin Mini Surge Protector with USB Charger - 1 AMP (Retail Package)
Belkin Mini Surge Protector with USB Charger - 1 AMP (Retail Package)
Offered by BestSource OfficeSupplies
Price: $17.83
49 used & new from $11.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good power strip, as advertised., July 24, 2014
I find this power strip to be a bit chunky, but I'm still happy with it. The USB ports are probably my favorite parts. Being able to charge my phone without taking up an outlet is a huge space-saver. The plug also sits securely in my outlet, and I haven't had a problem with it falling out.

Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls
Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $11.99

2.0 out of 5 stars So-so, July 24, 2014
Some of the stories reminded me of the old Sedaris I loved in Me Talk Pretty One Day, like the chapter specifically about owls, but a good number of the stories fell flat. The political stories were probably my least favorite, not because I disagreed with his point of view, but because it wasn't insightful or funny.

I don't regret reading this book, but I wouldn't recommend it either.

The Hero of Ages: Book Three of Mistborn
The Hero of Ages: Book Three of Mistborn
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series--worth the read!, July 24, 2014
This was an amazing conclusion to a great series. The way everything fit together, things that were only mentioned in passing in the first two books--superb. And the ending was not what I expected! It was both depressing and uplifting at the same time. Sanderson's world building was great, and I loved Vin. What a badass. At times I felt the dialogue was a bit choppy and the philosophical stuff longwinded, but the plot more than made up for these minor criticisms.

This is one of the better series I have ever read. I'd rank it after GoT and HP, but tied with the Abhorsen or His Dark Materials trilogies.

Starship Troopers
Starship Troopers
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, May 6, 2014
This review is from: Starship Troopers (Kindle Edition)
I'm not really into military stuff, but Heinlein's classic Starship Troopers was an excellent book. I get why the book is controversial--warmongering, misogyny, it's all here--but the book was written during the Cold War. I was surprised by how little of this book actually involved the war with the Bugs; the book was mainly about the preparation and training that goes into making soldiers, but Heinlein made it interesting. I can't say I ever really got lost in the story, but Starship Troopers did make me think about war and soldiers differently, and for that reason I think this is a good 4-4.5 star book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9