Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now
Profile for KnowItAll > Reviews

Browse

KnowItAll's Profile

Customer Reviews: 93

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

KnowItAll RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Meinl Cymbals B20DUCR Byzance Extra Dry 20-Inch Dual Crash/Ride Cymbal (VIDEO)
Meinl Cymbals B20DUCR Byzance Extra Dry 20-Inch Dual Crash/Ride Cymbal (VIDEO)
Offered by Chicago Music Exchange
Price: $349.99
11 used & new from $349.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds as good as it looks, September 24, 2015
This cymbal sounds wonderful and is worth its steep price tag. Offers a combination of warm and dark tones making for a unique sound. It looks so amazing!

Sound: Combination of dark and bright tones with warm aftertones with pockets of dark washiness. Definitely one of a kind sound that took me a couple listens to decide how I felt about it. I ended up loving it. I got the 18'' at first and loved it so much I got this 20''. The cymbal is labeled a "crash/ride". It serves its purpose better as a crash cymbal but can still be used as an OK ride.

Durability: A salesman told me that cymbals like this tend to be more fragile and prone to breaking, HOWEVER, I have never broken a cymbal and don't anticipate breaking this one. I think it looks fragile because of the detailed finish but believe its just as prone to breaking as other cymbals. I've had it for about a month now and have had no issues or hints of possible breakage, all in all I say its a very durable cymbal that can take hard hitting despite its fragile look.

Finish: The 20'' differs from the 18'' in that the bottom side finish of the 18 is all brilliant like the outside material on the top of the cymbal, whereas the 20 has the same finish on the top as it does the bottom (part dark part brilliant). One of the most gorgeous finishes I have ever seen on a cymbal.

Adaptability with other cymbals: One thing I was concerned about with this cymbal is how it would sound in coherence with the rest of my cymbal setup. It fits in a lot better than I thought it would and I think I could even pull it off as a suspended cymbal in an orchestral setting. I don't see this cymbal being used in a traditional jazz setup because it's not staccato enough as a ride and a little to dark and washy as a crash. Of course, unless you're a professional jazz drummer a cymbal like this will work just fine and still sounds great.

In summary, I had a hard time dealing with the price tag on this cymbal but when I looked around at other 20'' cymbals I realized that the price was similar to other 20 inch cymbals and I liked this one the most because of its shimmery, dark, unique sound and stunning finish. I really love this cymbal and it sounds SO good with the 18'' version right next to it. I think drummers will be really happy with this cymbal in their setup.

Franklin Sports Shoot Again Basketball
Franklin Sports Shoot Again Basketball
Price: $40.59
35 used & new from $23.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Decent hoop, July 30, 2015
It's hard to find a good one of these and although this one still has many flaws it is better than a lot of the other junk out there. Mine didn't come with rubber bands to hold the net in place so when i scored the ball flew out in it's own path and not the returning tube it's supposed to. My friend has one and says even his doesn't always go through the return whole make you make a shot.

As far as functionality, it has a cool timer that you can turn off and on. Battery lasts fairly long. Hangs easily on any door or edge and looks cool. Great quality and build and the ball is perfect - foamy yet bouncy enough and size is good enough to fit kids hands and adults or are playing along. One of the better basket hoops on the market but not perfect. Sure beats those cheap nerf ones you can hang behind your door though.

Paiste PSTX Swiss Hi-hats - 14"
Paiste PSTX Swiss Hi-hats - 14"
Offered by GearNuts
Price: $188.00
7 used & new from $149.00

5.0 out of 5 stars COOL, FUN, AFFORDABLE effect high hats, July 30, 2015
This review is from: Paiste PSTX Swiss Hi-hats - 14"
I own these in 14'' and fun fact is that I actually use the bottom hat on top and love how it sounds; it's a little deeper than what you get if you use it the normal way with the top hat on top, you get a slightly higher for defined tone.

Sound: super sweet. It's very slushy, a little crunchy, and delicate all at the same time. Not what you would expect out of a normal high hat. IT's more of an effect cymbal turned high hat. You can still use it as a normal hi hat in any genre but it might sound a little odd at first since this is a high hat sound that hasn't been heard before. I would recommend it for funk music, and it works at it's best when you are playing just hi hat, kick, and snare. I first heard these as NAMM 2005 and FELL IN LOVE. I usually play meinl and not paistes but the sound of this cymbal and the price won be over.

Price: You can't get much better than this. $169.99 Brand new and at your day in 2 days (with prime). Buying them from a physical store can be difficult because other Guiter Center mainly displays ZIldjian, Sam and Ash however did have these and many other meinl's I was dying to try so if you want to give them a try before buying them your best bet is youtube. I will be posting a review video of one soon myself but I am sure there are others.

Final Thoughts: I really recommend these hats to someone who already has a pair of solid hats that are versatile for any music, and wants another set of high hats to add a little something special to your kit either as a bench warmer hi hat, or a secondary hi hat to your kit. I am blown away by how cool this product if and how affordable it is. This is a win for Paiste!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Arguably the best snare I've ever played, July 17, 2015
AMAZING SNARE DRUM.

I was VERY hesitant to buy a snare drum that I hadn't tried before, especially a higher end more expensive one like this Outlaw Drum snare. I was relieved and overjoyed when I received it in the mail! It was everything I wished for and more.

Looks - the picture does not do this snare drum justice. It looks so much nicer in person and is truly a work of art. Def. one of the most beautiful snares I have ever seen and the finish is immaculate. I can't believe that they don't put a finish on it and it's all natural wood you are looking at. It also draws a lot of attention from other drummers because it looks and sounds so different than what other guys use. I'm always getting compliments on it which is nice.

Sound - It was different than anything I had heard before and it took a little getting used to, but I fell in love with it. I think we are so used to hearing the manufactured sounds of ply shell snares that the deep tone and unique voice this drum projected took me by surprise. I recorded it under a mic and with a little dampening (one drum tac on the snare) it sounded INCREDIBLE. One of the best sounding snares I have heard. This baby is loud and will cut through anything and be heard clearly at any venue. Also sounds nice when played at lower volumes but really meant to be hit hard and can take the abuse. It also sounds just as nice with the snares turned off which I didn't do too much until I got this drum because it sounded so nice with the snares off or on.

Feel - One thing is that this drum is a bit heavier than your run of the mill ply shell snare drum. Because this drum is a stave shell and build piece by piece (and with the hardware) it has a little more weight to it than the conventional snare. As far as feel when you play it, there is a nice give that you get from the snare; something I've never experienced before and you can really dig into the drum and get a lot of sound out of it.

Overall - the hardware on it is top quality and the throw-off is of the highest quality. This drum is very versatile and can be used for rock music, country, metal, jazz, you name it. It can be tuned high for sensitive jazz stuff or low and deep for hard rock music. Looks amazing with a sound to match its looks. I highly recommend dishing out the extra cash and getting this drum instead of one of the common manufactured ones. It's totally worth the money and really gives you and your drums your own voice which is cool because it's so hard to distinguish your sound from other drummers these days. Fantastic job by Outlaw Drums.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2015 9:22 PM PDT

Drumtacs Sound Control Pads
Drumtacs Sound Control Pads
Offered by Mugan_Music_Group
Price: $19.99
5 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Dampeners in the market, June 25, 2015
This review is from: Drumtacs Sound Control Pads
SO much better than those oogy boogy gross moon gels that are sticky and leave stains on my drum heads and attract dust and just become gross after a while.

Drum tacs look super clean on the drum heads, don't leave residue marks, work just as well if not BETTER than moon gels. Drum tacs are easily transferable and reusable. They say you are supposed to use rubbing alcohol or something when you remove the drum tac to activate the adhesive but I just pull it off one drum head and put it on another with no trouble and it sticks really well. Such a better solution to anything else that's on the market. The cool thing about these is that you can use them on drumheads AND cymbals. You can place a DT at the bottom of the cymbal - the closer to the edge the more it dampens it and takes away the wash and overtones of the cymbal. I use it on my 19'' crash to make it work as a ride cymbal sometimes, I just put a drum tac about 4 inches from the edge of the cymbal and it really dries it out nicely and converts it to ride/crash. It's pretty sweet.

I wouldn't be surprised once these become the standard for drum dampeners. All the top drummers are already starting to use them. I might be wrong on this but I believe they might cost a little more than moon gels but trust me they are totally worth the price and you will be very happy with them :)

Vic Firth Aaron Spears Signature Drumsticks
Vic Firth Aaron Spears Signature Drumsticks
Price: $8.99
6 used & new from $7.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Great quality sticks but very long size and take getting used to, June 25, 2015
Stick preference is very subjective so bear in mind what may or may not work for me may work for you.

These are a far cry from the 5a size VF sticks i usually play with. They are heavier and longer than 5a's which makes them difficult for me to control (also because I have small hands). I love the tip/bead of the stick - it's a combination between a corpsmaster and buddy rich tip and it makes for a great sound. The bead is also dynamic and you can play jazz with it or rock and get nice sound and good control out of both styles of playing. They have the top quality build of all vic firth sticks.

I gave it a 4/5 because they were very uncomfortable for me to play with and will take some getting used to. For such a long stick I prefer it to be a little more top heavy. However, because of the even distribution of weight across this i find myself having to put more effort and muscle into playing grooves I normally can play comfortably on a 5A or 5B size. I would recommend these sticks for someone with bigger hands and a hard hitting gospel chops drummer. They are very different than what I am used to but still great sticks and in the right hands a drummer will be very happy. I'm going to give them some more time and see if they grow on me. Plus the signature aaron spears logo on it looks cool.

Casio Women's MQ24-7B3 Classic Watch
Casio Women's MQ24-7B3 Classic Watch
Price: $9.95
19 used & new from $4.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Plain and simple watch, May 12, 2015
I needed an analog watch to use because of an exam I was taking and so I bought this to practice with and to wear to my exam and it worked perfectly. Didn't give me any trouble, comfortable fit. works perfectly, looks basic, not distracting, just a plain watch and that's exactly what I wanted. Great product, plain and simple watch.

SOUL by Ludacris SL150BW High-Definition On-Ear Headphones (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
15 used & new from $50.00

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the BEST headphones I ever used. Better than most Beats, May 12, 2015
I LOVE these head phones. I gave them away because I got some beats as a present and didn't think i would need two but I miss these headphones a lot. They are SOOO comfortable around my ears. I would use these headphones to play on my electronic drum set and so I would wear them for 4 hours at once sometimes and I would move around quite a bit and these headphones always stayed adjusted and were super comfy so when I took them off after a while I didnt feel the area around my ears hurting and being all soar like I got when I wore some headphones for a long time.

At this price these are a steal!! I did a lot of research before I bought these back in the day when they had just come out, and they sounded just as good as if not better than the beats. They didn't have that IN YOUR FACE BASS that the beats do but they have awesome bass that I had no complaints about. They handled the bass on my electric kit better than any other headphones have....only other pair that has been able to handle the bass on my kit has been the david ghetta dj white beats headphones which is what i currently use. But man, if you can get over the logo not being Beats or Bose, you will be VERY happy with these.

Great Eastern Entertainment Code Geass Lancelot Key Metal Keychain
Great Eastern Entertainment Code Geass Lancelot Key Metal Keychain

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks realistic! Has some nice weight to it, May 12, 2015
I was pleasantly surprised at how great the quality was for this product. Had some nice weight to it, looked really good and legit. Great item.

Remo Ambassador Clear Drumhead Pack
Remo Ambassador Clear Drumhead Pack
Offered by Music123
Price: $36.18
9 used & new from $30.61

4.0 out of 5 stars Great standard single ply heads - tuning a little more challenging, May 12, 2015
It's a standard drum head at it's best. Nothing special about it but it's made well, solid built, produces great sound, and lasts longer than you would expect a single ply head to last.

With these drum heads (ambassadors) you can really hear the tone of the drum clearly. This is very cool because it adds so much musicality to the drum set and the pitch is nice and clear and sounds really great! The downside of this is that these drum heads are not easy to tune WELL. You can twist the rods around and tune it and get some pitch out of it, but to get the best sound out of these drum heads you need a drum dial or an awesome drum tuner because to get each pitch nicely out of the drum so it sounds perfect as you play around the kit. I'm horrible at tuning though so this may not be as much of a challenge for you. If it is a challenge, try going for a double ply head like the powerstroke or emperors.

Hope this helped!