Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now STEM
Profile for Tom McGee > Reviews

Browse

Tom McGee's Profile

Customer Reviews: 577

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Tom McGee "Tom" RSS Feed (Springfield, IL USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Kensington SD4600P USB-C Universal Docking Station with Power Delivery Charging, HDMI/DisplayPort, 3 USB 3.0 Ports, USB-C Port, Audio/Microphone, and Gigabit Ethernet (K38231WW)
Price: $189.95
29 used & new from $141.04

4.0 out of 5 stars What is a USB-C and Why do I Need the Kensington SD4600P USB-C Universal Docking Station With Power Delivery?, August 7, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
What is a USB-C and why do I need this product?

For those of us who are old enough, we remember transitions and battles from the records to tapes and battles in music and video related hardware—radios, record players, open real players, cassette players, 8-Track players, VHF players, Beta player, CD players, and DVD players and so on.

Next we had to deal with all the electrical cords and connecting wires that led to power strips with multiple plugs and cable connections, cable boxes, audio/video and home theatre power control boxes.

Then came the shapes of ports and connecting cords to connect our cell phones, televisions and a plethora of Wi-Fi and audio video devices.

Those items led to the need for docking stations and rechargers for all of the different ports to connect different power, storage and speed needs—audio and video chord connectors and charging devices, HDMI, DP++, adapters and a variety of USB cable and socket connecters.

With technology and upgrades our devices are becoming lighter, thinner, and mobile, yet the power sources and variety of connector have become cumbersome.

USB-C intends to become the standard and make other ports and connectors obsolete thus reducing the number of different types we now need.

These ports are smaller and are easier to install and use with our sleek laptops and smartphones and are shaped the same way on both sides making it easier and quicker to plug in to those devices.

Additionally, these Type-C ports can transfer data up to 10-gigabits per second.

So, it appears to be inevitable that USB-C ports are going to become the standard. Some people advise against buying a laptop or smartphone that does not already have the Type-C port.

Having answered the first part of my question, two things are clear to me. First, if you do not have devices with USB-C ports installed, you do not need to purchase a USB-C Dock with power delivery yet. Second, when this port does become the standard and you begin to replace your laptop or smartphone equipped with it, a Dock like this will be a convenient way to power up and connect your antiquated devices until technology and you billfold allow you to replace them.

In view of the above, I do not recommend this product until you obtain a laptop with a Type C USB port; however, I recommend it without reservation for friends and family and other consumers who already have a laptop with a USB-C port so that you will have a means to connect your devices with different ports until technology makes them obsolete.

Enjoy!

Blendtec C575A2301A-AMAZON Classic 575 Blender Bundle with Wild Side+ Jar and Four Side Jar, Black
Price: $524.96

5.0 out of 5 stars This product is the crème de la crème of blenders! Enjoy!, August 6, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This product is the crème de la crème of blenders.

My wife and I make smoothies nearly every day and were happy with the blender we were using; that is, until we began using this Blendtec Classic 575 Blender.

It works great whether grinding nuts, grain, frozen fruit, ice or vegetables in short order!

This preprogrammed, easy to clean, professional quality high speed blender is the best that we have ever owned.

It provides the epitome of “smooth” in smoothies!

The square shaped jar is big enough to make enough smoothies for my wife and I at the same time; however, it works equally well with small quantities.

This powerful blender is noisy, but quick and efficient.

The quality of this blender is well-worth the price.

We love it and recommend it without reservation to friends and family!

Enjoy!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 12, 2016 10:49 AM PDT

Sleep Master Classic Spring 10 Inch Mattress, Queen
Sleep Master Classic Spring 10 Inch Mattress, Queen
Price: $259.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, but this Bed was Way Too Soft for My Needs! I Cannot Recommend it to People Who Have Back Problems. Sorry!, August 6, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Not long ago I reviewed a wonderful king sized Zinus Memory Foam 8 Inch Green Tea Mattress and it was the most comfortable bed that I have ever slept in.

When the opportunity came for me to test and review a queen sized Sleep Master Classic Spring 10-inch mattress by Zinus, I jumped at the chance.

Like the first king sized mattress the queen arrived in a heavy bulky box that I tumbled end over end to my upstairs bedroom and folks, it was not easy to get that box up there by myself. Once I got it up there, I carefully cut the cardboard box away. This mattress was wrapped tightly in plastic and cloth.

I rolled it to my destination and accomplished the feat of placing it on my queen sized box springs. Next, I carefully cut the tape that kept the binding secure, unrolled the cloth cover and carefully cut the plastic around the edges and watched the gases escape and the bed taking shape.

I let the mattress sit for 3 complete days before placing bedding on it and testing it.

Unlike the king bed, this one was not firm enough for me. Even sitting on the edge of the bed was uncomfortable. I am sure this bed is well-made and many people will like this soft bed; however, I have some back problems that make it unsuitable for my needs.

The material and stitching was done well, but this was not the bed for me and I have already given it away.

On a scale of one to ten, with ten being the firmest, I rated it a three—way too soft for my needs.

As much as I love the aforementioned king bed, I cannot recommend this queen for people who need a bed that is more firm. Accordingly, for my taste, a two star comfort rating is the best that I can give.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 8, 2016 1:44 PM PDT

3 x 31" Inch Extra Long Handled Shoehorn (Black)
3 x 31" Inch Extra Long Handled Shoehorn (Black)
Offered by Shacke
Price: $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Extra Long Handled Shoehorn Make it Much Easier for Those Whose Age or Disabilities Make Trying on New Shoes a Pain in the Foot!, July 17, 2016
About 3 weeks ago the owner a company called “Shacke” sent me an email asking me if I would be interested in testing this product in exchange for an honest review on amazon.com. Having agreed to try it out, this is my evaluation of his 3 x 31 inch Extra Long Handled Shoehorn.

Normally, I absolutely hate shoehorns. I have a bone spur on the back of my right heal that really hurts when I try on shoes with hard leather backs using a shoehorn.

I think that part of the problem is that it is awkward sitting down and placing the shoehorn in the correct angle to keep from scraping my sensitive heal.

The nice thing about this shoehorn is that the handle is 31 inches long. I am 6 feet tall and my arm extends downward at a perfect length to use this shoe horn while standing up.

There seems to be less pressure on my bone spur while standing. Additionally, the curved 3 inch spoon-like portion that eases my right heal into the shoe feels much less intrusive than smaller ones that I have used to try on new shoes.

The disadvantage of a shoe horn this size is that it is not as convenient to carry around as a small one. The owner solved that problem for me by sending me 3 of them. I keep one at work, one at home and the 3rd in my car.

It is nice that the length alleviates the need to been bend and lean and that the handle is big enough to grip my whole hand around.

While I still hate shoe horns, this one is the right size, shape and angle to reduce the pain that someone with a bone spur like mine has to deal with when trying on shoes. Likewise, I have a history of lower back pain that does not flair up while using this product.

Being fair, not everyone has to deal with bone spurs. For those that don’t this product would be great. For those that do, this shoe horn is much less of a pain in the foot when trying on new shoes.

Zinus Memory Foam 8 Inch Green Tea Mattress, King
Zinus Memory Foam 8 Inch Green Tea Mattress, King
Price: $249.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the Most Comfortable Bed I Have Ever Slept in & Since the 1st Night my Quality of Sleep has Never Been Better! Enjoy!, July 17, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This King sized Zinus Memory Foam 8 Inch Green Tea Mattress is the most comfortable bed that I have ever slept in.

It arrived in a heavy bulky box that I tumbled end over end to my upstairs bedroom a couple of days after I received it. I went solo and it was a tough job! Unless you are as stubborn as I am, I recommend that you get some help to safely move this product in the box.

Once I was in the bedroom, I opened the box, dumped it on the floor, cut off the plastic and placed it on my Zinus box springs and platform frame.

It began expanding immediately; however, I followed the instructions and waited a few days before using it.

My nephew and his wife visited from out of state and were the first to try this bed out. The last time they visited they slept in our queen sized memory foam bed and told me that it was a very comfortable bed to sleep in; however, once they slept in the king sized Zinus Memory Form mattress they were elated with both the size and comfort. In fact, they were so comfortable, they slept in longer than they intended to.

The night after they left I slept in it and every night since. Although I have sleep apnea and must use a special mouth piece or my c-pap machine to get a good night sleep, this bed is so comfortable I have fell asleep on more than one occasion while reading without using either apparatus. I am not saying this product cures sleep apnea and only mention my negligence here to express just how comfortable this green tea mattress is.

My wife loves the comfort of this mattress too. Before using this bed it was not uncommon for me to get up 6 to 8 times a night for restroom breaks or to toss and turn causing my wife to wake up. Since my wife and I began sleeping in this bed, my wife says the bed does not move when I change my sleeping positions in bed and both of us notice that we wake up less often in the middle of the night. I have slept through the night without getting up at all on several nights and only a couple of times on other days.

I typically wake up well in advance of my alarm clock; however, on most occasions since I began sleeping in this bed, I need the alarm. Twice now my wife was astounded that she slept an hour and a half longer than she normally does.

This bed does not move or make noise when you sit on it, get into or out of bed or when you turn from one side to the next.
It is neither too soft nor too hard or too hot or cold.

Our normal king sized sheets and comforter fit on this bed perfectly..

I am absolutely thrilled with the quality of sleep I have experienced since I began sleeping in this bed and am confident that most people who have slept on one of these mattresses will be as happy with it as I am.

Night Therapy 7.5 Inch BiFold Box Spring, Split King
Night Therapy 7.5 Inch BiFold Box Spring, Split King
Price: $229.99
2 used & new from $229.99

5.0 out of 5 stars IMHO, a Marvelous Invention That is Not Only Very Portable, but is Also a tructuraly Superior & Comfortable Product! Enjoy!, July 17, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Night Therapy 7.5 Inch Bi-Fold Split King Box Spring is a remarkable piece of engineering that is very useful.

It took me about 15 minutes to bring the box into the house, slide it down stairs to my basement, remove it from the box unfold and zip up both sections of the box springs and place them on my king bed frame.

You might be wondering why I put these in my basement. Well, I knew that the next day the carpet installers were coming to install carpet in all of the upstairs bedrooms.

After the installation was completed and the floors vacuumed, I moved the box springs up two stories to my bedroom. I did not even unzip and fold them up again. It would have been easy to do so; however, for review purposes, I wanted to see if a guy my age could handle this job alone.

Although I am nearly 67 years old, these split king box springs are so light that I had no problem sliding them across the floor, up 26 steps and into the bedroom and placing the two sections on the king bed frame.

The support that this set of box springs provides is phenomenal. It is framed in sturdy light weight steel zipped inside of a quality cloth material that makes it look like a normal box spring; however, there is no wood or stuffing used in its construction.

Many decades ago during my military career, my family and I were moved to our duty station in Japan. Much to our dismay, it took 4 men to move our one-piece king box springs upstairs to our bedroom in base housing and to make matters worse, they had to crack the frame in order to make the turn at the top of the stairs.

I find it remarkable that the technology has advanced so much over the last four decades that at my age, I was able do the job of 4 fit men in their prime in less than half the time without breaking anything.

I absolutely love this split king box spring set and I bet you will too.

WORKPRO W009039A 136-Piece Heavy Duty 2-Drawer Creeper Seat w/ Tools
WORKPRO W009039A 136-Piece Heavy Duty 2-Drawer Creeper Seat w/ Tools
Price: $139.99
2 used & new from $139.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An Attractive, Sturdy, Mobile, Useful, Convenient Tool Chest and Creeper Seat that Helps me Organize and Find My Tools. Enjoy!, July 4, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The WORKPRO W009039A 136-Piece Heavy Duty 2-Drawer Creeper Seat w/Tools was easy to assemble and is a convent place to store my tools. I love it!

A combination Phillips head screw driver and Allen wrench comes with the product to attach 4 wheels and a tool rack to the otherwise fully assemble product. A metal peg board is located on the opposed side of the tool wrack. You can attach various peg board accessories there like a hammer holder, screw driver holders, etc. I attached a hammer holder that hold my drill case.

On the other two sides are drawers. One holds the 16-socket ratchet with an extension bar and spark plug socket set that comes with this product, while the other drawer holds the Workpro 9 piece hex key; 5-piece combination spanners: 8, 10,11,13,15 millimeters respectively; needle nose plyers; and a 1-piece magnetic bit holder handle with 60pc CRV 25 millimeter bits in addition to 40-piece cable ties.

The above drawers have room for many more tools and the seat folds over a 4 x 11 x 8 inch storage space that easily holds my 3 sets of drill bits, socket bits and screw driver bits and much more.

This is an attractive black and blue tool storage kit with a 10 x 14 inch 1.5 inch padded seat on wheels that I find ideal for the tools that I need and a 18 inch high place to sit while I work on projects.

I am constantly misplacing my tools and forgetting where I put them. This product solves that problem. I keep this product in my garage and store the small tools that I use the most.

At 32.5 pounds on wheels with a handle and 19.7 x 19.5 x 8.3 inch dimensions, this is a mobile product that is easy to find and move.

I am extremely happy with the utility of this product and its small footprint. I think you will be too.

Enjoy!

Zinus 14 Inch SmartBase Deluxe Mattress Foundation/Platform Bed Frame/Box Spring Replacement, King
Price: $109.00
5 used & new from $109.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a Convenient, Light Weight, Sturdy and portable King Bed Frame that I am Thrilled With! I bet you will be too. Enjoy!, June 29, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This king size platform bed frame is perfect for my needs. It came in two folding pieces that make it light weight and easy to move.

That came in very handy as I set it up in my basement because it arrived while we were having carpets installed in our upstairs bedrooms.

It was easy for me to unscrew the two wingnuts attached to the bolts that hold the two pieces together, fold the two parts, carry them to the upstairs bedroom, unfold and position them there.

Each section of this sturdy frame has six folding legs. The four corner legs are stabilized by locking hinges with wingnuts and bolts. The two parts are then bolted together in the center near each end with large bolts and wingnuts.

It took me about 10 minutes to move the box to the basement, unpack it and assemble the frame and even less time to move it upstairs and reassemble it.

Although it does not need additional box springs, I found that the combined height of this frame and my mattress a bit too low for my taste, so I placed my box springs and mattress on the frame. It is now a perfect height for my wife and me.

This frame is as sturdy as any that I have ever owned and it was the easiest to transport and assemble that I have ever experienced.

Having served 22 and a half years in the United States Marine Corps my family and I moved numerous times over that period. This folding bed frame would have made those frequent moves much easier.

With this product, my box springs and mattress, this is the most comfortable bed that I have ever slept on. I’ll write more when I address the box springs and the mattress.

I love the fact that this frame has 14 inches of clearance to store items under the bed or even vacuuming under it.

The bed frame appears to be very durable. I will update this review from time to time to see how it performs over time.

I love this frame and my best guess is that you will too.

Country Living Havenbrook Nightstand, Hazelnut
Country Living Havenbrook Nightstand, Hazelnut
Price: $499.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An Attractive, Useful, Durable & Slightly Expensive, Yet Quality Nightstand That My Wife & I love! I bet you will too! Enjoy!, June 12, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Hazelnut Country Living Havenbrook Nightstand is an attractive, useful, durable nightstand that I use by my bed.

It arrived carefully packed with the legs packed in the drawer ready and easy to assemble with no tools other than that provided for installation. It took me about 10 minutes to unpack it, followed the instructions to install the legs and place it next to my bed ready for a table lamp.

At 50.2 pounds and standing 26 inches tall by 16 inches deep and 22 inches wide it is perfect for my use.

It has a well-constructed drawer with a 15 wide by 4 high by 12 inches deep capacity.

It also has an opening under the drawer 20 wide by 9 high by 15.5 inches deep that my C-PAP machine fit in nicely.

While I cannot imagine that anyone would put something so heavy in the drawer that it might tip the nightstand when the drawer, a safety device is provided for attaching the nightstand to the wall if desired.

Folks, this is a quality night stand that is well constructed and I am glad I own it; however, I would never spend this much on a nightstand unless I had money to burn and if it was needed to complete a perfect match to my existing bedroom furniture or if my wife would have asked for this for our 36th wedding anniversary.

Is it worth the price? I think most people would pay that much for a product of this quality.

I would deduct a half star because of the price, but in fairness, that 4.5 star rating would be because of my price preferences and not the product's value. Accordingly I think the product deserves a 5-star rating.

I am extremely happy with the quality of this nightstand, its dimension, how attractively it looks next to my bed and most importantly the utility it provides.

I love it and bet you will too!

Enjoy!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2016 10:21 AM PDT

Boar Island: An Anna Pigeon Novel (Anna Pigeon Mysteries)
Boar Island: An Anna Pigeon Novel (Anna Pigeon Mysteries)
by Nevada Barr
Price: $17.48
82 used & new from $8.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-Written, Intriguing Suspense Filled Mystery Pitting Strong Heroine Protagonists Against Vile & Abusive Sociopaths! Enjoy!,, June 12, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Boar Island was my second exposure to Nevada Barr and her Anna Pigeon series.

Although more than over 2 years since have passed since I read Destroyer Angel, the former book I read in this series, I vividly remember that haunting tale and its memorable characters.

Boar Island, like the first is a gripping, haunting and believable tale filled with suspense, descriptive writing and flawed characters.

Like the first one, the appalling behavior of vile and abusive sociopaths add to the credibility of merging story lines; however, I was emotionally uncomfortable with these shocking antagonists that evoke and shape this suspense filled mystery.

Set in contemporary times in Colorado and Maine, Elizabeth “E” Jarrod, Heath’s 16 year old adopted daughter contemplates suicide after relentless, egregious, pejorative and fabricated sexual explicit clandestine cyberattacks by a ruthless predator alienate, embarrass and leave her seriously depressed.

In Boulder, Colorado, Elizabeth’s best friend Tiff, daughter of their neighbors, Sam and Terry Edleson is not allowed to associate with “E”.

Elizabeth’s Godmother, protagonist Anna Pigeon a Park Ranger and 70 year old Medical Doctor Gwendolyn “Aunt Gwen” Littleton come to the rescue helping Heath to find a safe place for “E” to recover—Boar Island in Maine, owned by Gwen’s longtime friend Chris Zuckerber. The relentless cyberbully is not deterred by the change of scenery and is determined to escalate the attacks now in Maine.

On another front, Denise Castle, a mentally obsessed and imploding Park Ranger, married to Peter Barnes for 11 years secretly stalks her ex-husband, his wife of 14 months, Lily Barnes and their 3 month old daughter Olivia and monitors them with hidden cameras in their home.

Meanwhile, on yet another front, Paulette Duffy, a part time nursing assistant fears for her life at the hands of her abusive husband, Duffy who routinely beats her and threatens to kill her if she ever leaves him.

This was a skillfully written tale told masterfully from the perspective of different and opposing characters.

Suspense builds as new character, John Whitman’s grandson, Walter emerges from his hiding place in Northern Maine, while trying to solve the mystery and determine who the real culprits are that caused Walter’s father, a Lobsterman, to be killed by fellow lobsterman, Old Billy Corner for poaching.

The subject matter for a story like this is not for everyone; however, I recommend this novel to those who enjoy vivid, well-written and haunting, suspenseful thrillers that feature strong female heroine characters pitted against vile and abusive predators.

My best guess is that like me, you will remember this haunting tale for a longtime.

Enjoy!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2016 10:24 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20