Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Back to School
Profile for R. Reining > Reviews

Browse

R. Reining's Profile

Customer Reviews: 85

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R. Reining "Old School Zinger" RSS Feed (San Bernardino, CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
LG 24X SATA DVD Rewriter (GH24NSB0B)
LG 24X SATA DVD Rewriter (GH24NSB0B)
Offered by AmaMax (USA) Since 1993 l iMBAPrice® Authorized Distributor
Price: $20.59
11 used & new from $8.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Perfeclty, October 22, 2013
I've always liked LG products. I've never had a bad experience with them, from flip phones (remember those?) to TV's to DVD players. I purchased this optical drive for use in my first custom-built PC. It arrived quickly as it's Prime eligible, was packaged well, and began working as soon as I hooked it up to the motherboard and power supply. I'd absolutely buy this product again, though by the time I need to replace it we probably won't be using many DVD's anymore. I really don't have anything negative to say. It slid right in to my computer case's first optical slot very securely, is very quiet, and plays CD's and DVD's without fuss.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 31, 2014 8:39 PM PDT

E-3lue Cobra EMS109BK High Precision Gaming Mouse with Side Control 1600dpi
E-3lue Cobra EMS109BK High Precision Gaming Mouse with Side Control 1600dpi
Offered by Cyberlink inc.
Price: $10.03
50 used & new from $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Mouse, But Broken, October 22, 2013
I bought this mouse to use with my first custom-built PC mostly for the cool blue light and how cheap it was. It worked great for the first few hours, but after that it started to lose its functionality. It never stopped working completely, but became so jerky onscreen that I eventually gave up and replaced it. I really can't complain as it was only $8, but I really did like the way it looked and felt.

I did notice the side buttons before I bought it, and didn't think they'd be an issue, but I was wrong. The two side buttons are very sensitive, and even though I know eventually I would have gotten used to them being there, in those few hours I used the mouse I would frequently click one of them that would take me back to the previous page, which was very frustrating when on YouTube.

I would buy this mouse again, even though the one I received was faulty, It looks and feels well-made, and once the side buttons are acclimated to, you'd either incorporate them or ignore them.

Flash Furniture CP-D119A01-BK-GG Black Leather Office Side Chair with Black Mesh Back/Sled Base
Price: $63.04
37 used & new from $50.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good For The Price, October 22, 2013
Once I got the chair put together, it was pretty nice. I really like the look of it, and it's quite comfortable to sit in. It was a bit of a chore to put together though. The holes didn't exactly match up with the different parts, so it required a lot of force. I think if you have a second person to help you it would go together a lot faster, but as it was it took me about 45 minutes to get this together by myself, and I'm pretty strong. That being said, misaligned holes in chairs is such a common problem, I can't think of any chair I've ever put together (cheap or expensive) that didn't have this issue. I would buy another one though. It has a good amount of give and the cushion and arched back really are very comfortable.

NZXT Guardian 921 RB ATX Mid Tower Case, Black 921RB-001-BL
NZXT Guardian 921 RB ATX Mid Tower Case, Black 921RB-001-BL
Offered by NZXT
Price: $66.47
26 used & new from $55.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Roomy, Very Cool, October 22, 2013
I bought this case for my first custom PC after another NZXT case was dead on arrival. I wish I'd bought this one first. Being fairly new to the world of custom-built PC's, I wasn't sure how big this was going to be. The description says "mid-tower," which I was led to believe was the normal size for desktop PC's. However, it is larger. If you don't have an obscene amount of hardware to put into a new PC I don't think I'd recommend this unless you want it just for the cool outer LED lights. I wasn't building a gaming rig so I have a lot of extra room inside. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it helps with airflow, but I really could have gone smaller. This isn't the product's fault though, obviously. This being the first time building a PC, I got everything mounted and connected in less than an hour, which was really nice.

As others have mentioned, the top slot for your hard drive will probably interfere with your video card if you have a larger one. But as there are multiple HDD slots, I can't imagine that would be a dealbreaker. All of the drilled holes in the case matched up perfectly with my motherboard, and I didn't have any problems with missing screws or improperly drilled holes. Two thumbscrews secure the side panel that slides off, and aside from the screws for mounting the motherboard, everything else is secured via plastic clips, which were secure and really convenient. I really don't have anything negative to say about this case. It was exactly what I wanted, and I have to imagine someone who has more and larger hardware will be even happier with this than I am.

C&E MUTP5E-50PKB Ethernet Cable 50' for Internet, Routers and Xbox 360, White
C&E MUTP5E-50PKB Ethernet Cable 50' for Internet, Routers and Xbox 360, White
Offered by zhamil
Price: $4.98
21 used & new from $0.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Ethernet Cable, October 22, 2013
I bought this for a computer I was building. It's Prime eligible, so it came very quickly. I have a mild OCD about wanting to keep my cables as hidden as possible, and frequently have problems with kinking such. This cable came coiled as pictured, but uncoiled and straightened very easily. I've seen a few people mention the clips on the connectors being stiff, but I haven't had any problem. Maybe I just got lucky, but I have no reason not to give this a perfect rating.

The Walking Dead: Season 3 [Blu-ray]
The Walking Dead: Season 3 [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Andrew Lincoln
Price: $24.99
41 used & new from $15.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Getting Warmer, April 13, 2013
Okay, let's get it over with: Season 3 is far and away the best season of The Walking Dead so far. The show is about a post-apocalyptic zombie wasteland, but this season has gotten a lot darker than the previous two. I like this, and it's one of the couple things that really uplift this season. That and the much stronger narrative are the biggest things that uplift this season. That being said, the biggest flaw of the show still lies in its mostly poor characterization of its cast.

This can be perfectly encapsulated in a season that takes places in episode 13, Arrow on the Doorpost. After Rick sits down with The Governor and is offered a way out of the deal, Rick is seen speaking with Hershel back at the prison. The following dialog takes place, verbatim:

Rick: He gave me a choice. A way out.

Hershel: What does he want?

Rick: Michonne.

Hershel: He'll kill her.

Rick: Then kill us anyway. What if he doesn't? What if this is the answer?

Hershel: Why didn't you tell them?

Rick: They need...to be scared.

Hershel: [Nods] They are.

Rick: Good. Cause that's the only way they'll accept it.

Hershel: She saved my life. Carl's...Glenn, Maggie...If she'd never come here, we never would've known they were taken. She's earned her place.

Rick: Yeah. Yes she has. Are you willing to sacrifice your daughters' lives for her?

Hershel: Why're you telling me?

Rick: Because...I'm hoping you can talk me out
of it.

And thus the episode ends. This happens frequently throughout the show's history, where characters are speaking to one another I'm disengaged from the moment because the characters are being disingenuous to themselves. Doing or saying things they have previously found morally reprehensible. Now, it's okay of course, for a character to have an arc and change over time. But in The Walking Dead people just flip flop all over the place just to provide convenient drama and fill the episode in between the action. Watching almost any dialog exchange provides good practice for being patient, because it's mostly a complete waste of time. Rick is representative of morality and order in a world where everything, including and especially those two things, are unraveling. No matter what the consequences are, he will never not do the right thing. Even if he struggles with it, he would never ask someone else to talk him out of doing something that is very clearly wrong. The best written characters, ironically, are the ones with less dialog or screen time. Milton Mammet, Daryl and Glenn are all pretty consistent, but for the most part the others are all just vehicles through which the writers deliver ham-fisted drama to us.

Watching the show has been an interesting experience, because I've never really watched a show where I keep waiting for the writers to realize how much potential they are sitting on. It's good enough that I don't want to stop watching, but not engaging enough to fully keep my interest or make me actually care about any of the characters. It was sort of a system shock to start watching this AMC show, after having had the pleasure of watching Breaking Bad and Mad Men, both of which have writing that is superb. It's okay to have ambiguous characters, but just because characters do illogical things doesn't make them complicated. Sometimes it just shines a light on the poorer side of writing.

To be fair, this is a show with zombies in it, and many people who watch it don't care about high-brow ideas. They would completely miss any subtle character development and working to improve the writing even more would just be wasted on them. The fact that as of now this has a 4.8 out of 5.0 rating is proof of that. But it's also good to keep some perspective. The writing is good enough for what the show is, but it's also disappointing because I feel like if it were to suddenly fall into place this show could be a juggernaut. Even still, if you can suffer your way through season 2, I'd still recommend season 3. The narrative is very focused, the villain is quite excellent, and of course it's always fun watching zombies get slices and shot. I'm hoping for more in season 4 though.

The Walking Dead: The Complete Second Season [Blu-ray]
The Walking Dead: The Complete Second Season [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Andrew Lincoln
Price: $16.99
55 used & new from $8.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh the drama! So many emotions!, April 7, 2013
Season 2 was a severe disappointment after the mostly focused story-line of season 1. I'm not a fan of horror or zombies in particular, but I wanted to watch the show because I do like the post-apocalypse genre. To be clear, I expected a lot of drama before I began watching season; but drama is only good when it makes sense. The short version of why I didn't like season 2 is this: the characters are all over the place. Maybe two or three are well-written and don't do things that make no sense, but there rest are just vessels through which the writers of the show like to squeeze out as much melodrama as possible, irritating me in the process.

From about episode 2 on, I was bored. I don't need action to keep me paying attention, I need a focused narrative, and characters that do and say things that make sense...for their character. For the most part, it seemed to me that whenever the writers didn't know what to do, they would just have a character do something stupid, which would create a problem that doesn't add anything to the story. And that's how most of season 2 felt. Like there were two or maybe three things that were driving the story forward, and everything in between was just filler. I think it was seven or eight episodes in and the Sophia being lost in the woods story arc hadn't even been finished. By that point it seemed like her mom had already moved on, and didn't particularly care about finding her. Sure...I mean whatever. If she's not going to care, I don't care.

And that's how I felt even throughout season 1. I don't particularly feel attached to any of the characters. Glenn is probably the strongest character, and the one whom doesn't do very many things that don't make sense. But I'm watching each episode just kind of passing the time, being bored through most of the drama because almost nothing happens in most of the episodes. We have to drive five minutes into town to go get Herschel, we'll be right back. Cool. Five hours later, the short trip has inevitably been turned into the entire episode, and then the pregnant woman decides to go off to rescue them on her own because obviously whatever is holding them up is something she can deal with. But of course she crashes her car, thus creating even more drama. And I'm sitting there just like...who cares? I don't care about any of these people because none of them are consistent. In a survival story you have to care about the people who are trying to survive. But everything is just a long argument that ultimately never gets resolved.

I'm not saying that everyone should just work together happily. No doubt in a real-world scenario people would argue with each other and there would be drama. But I don't need eleven episodes of it. The Walking Dead is about a zombie apocalypse, but it shouldn't be about a zombie apocalypse. It should be about what comes after. How people collectively can regroup and decide how best to try to live. There are morality questions that are amateurishly addressed. The show should be poignant, offering up questions without actually having to ask them, and making the viewer wonder not just how they would feel in that characters' place, but about their own morality in the world we actually live in. These are things that have been awkwardly handled so far, and if I'm going to keep watching it needs to change.

That said, another problem is some of the casting choices. Carl, the main protagonist's son, is horrible. Excuse the pun, but he can't act to save his life. And it doesn't help that whomever is writing the dialog for him clearly has no idea how an actual 13 year old speaks. Many (I'd say most) shows suffer from this, and it's not easy writing dialog for a very young person, but if that's the case his dialog should be kept to a minimum. It's laughably bad, and he ruins almost every scene he speaks in. I guess he's really the only actor I have a problem with, the rest I can chalk up just to the sub-par writing.

All that negativity said, the season had a few high points. Without spoiling anything, it is finally revealed what Jenner told Rick before they left the CDC, and the Sophia story-line was completed in a way that made me respect the show more, though by that point I was extremely bored and irritated at all the pointless bickering. I can only hope season 3 is better. If it's not, I won't continue watching.

Halo 4 - Xbox 360 (Standard Game)
Halo 4 - Xbox 360 (Standard Game)
Offered by Doremi Music USA
Price: $16.49
673 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Missed Opportunity: The Game, December 31, 2012
I am a casual fan of Halo. I own all of the games. They aren't a franchise I dearly love, but it has provided me with a lot of entertainment over the years. It's always been sort of a given that when a new Halo comes out, I will buy it eventually. After this one though, I'm not sure I will continue doing so.

Visually, the game is fantastic. Very few games I've ever played match the visual quality. It's obvious great care was taken in the graphic design of everything. Likewise, the score is also amazing. It's not the usual Halo music, but it's a change that I actually like. The original Halo theme and general music is pretty much gone in this iteration, but it was very noticeable and added layers to the story. Unfortunately, when all you have in a story are layers of music, you really don't have anything.

Good lord, the story. I don't know who wrote the script for this game, but if George Lucas had a hand in it I wouldn't be surprised. There was a moment early on in the game (and I wish I could remember the line) where Master Chief responds to something Cortana says, and I had an involuntary reaction of "Ugh." It was that bad.

I don't expect literary genius from video games in general, and especially not in first person shooters, but this was noticeably bad. And it wasn't only the scripted dialog, it was the the way characters were written and how almost the entire plot made no sense.

The game opens with a cinematic wherein Catherine Halsey (the person Cortana is modeled after) is being interrogated by some person whom you never meet. It's a quick and very vague exchange of words that I imagine is meant to give you the impression that Dr. Halsey is keeping some sort of secret about the Master Chief. This aspect is never revisited and never pays off in any way, and you never see her again. That's okay though because the dialog was so godawful the less there is the better.

Generally the plot to the game is Cortana wakes Master Chief up out of cryostasis because she detects there are hull breaches in the aft section of the ship. I actually liked the first chunk of the game, because it was more tutorial-like and wasn't horribly padded with pointless "You need to go here and push buttons in three different locations." So after the tutorial you crash land on a Forerunner planet, and this is where the problems really begin. You start to receive strange transmissions that are very garbled, and come to find out it's from a UNSC ship called Infinity, who seems to be transmitting from the core of the planet. So you go to investigate.

The tracking of the Infinity and journey to the planet's core in itself isn't a problem, but after you're told why that is where the signal was coming from, everything that happened before makes no sense. It turns out that a Forerunner called the Didact is manipulating the Infinity's signal in order to fool you into coming down to investigate, and shutting down two beams of light that are garbling the signal from the ship so that you can transmit back to them. But once you do that, you inadvertently release the Didact from where he has been imprisoned for a long-ass time. And as soon as he is released his magic armor automatically appears or was already there for some inexplicable reason, even though he was imprisoned by his own people for the extreme actions he took in the past. All of that is fine and I can give it a pass, except that the Covenent are also trying to release the Didact, and you have to fight them all the way there. So...why didn't the Covenent just release him and spare Master Chief from doing all this pointless legwork for no reason? For some odd reason he also has telekinetic powers and so like the comical villain he is, he needlessly chokes Master Chief and then throws him against a wall even though he could just kill him right then since by then it must be obvious to the Didact that he has cut a bloody swath though the Covenent ranks to get this far. He also says something generic about humanity being a plague or somesuch. It was dumb and I already didn't care because it was so shallow and his motivations were so weak or unexplained.

But instead he gets in his comical bad guy sphere and flies away as his slipstream rupture makes the structure blow up real good, and for the first time in the game Master Chief survives a huge explosion, but not for the last.

Anyways I'm already sick of wasting more time explaining how nonsensical the story is. The biggest tragedy is that there is a separate story going on with Cortana and how she has been an active AI for eight years, and normal AI's begin to decay after six. This should have been the core conflict in the game. The problem wasn't that it wasn't, it's that it was done so badly that it came off and cheesy and ultimately supremely unsatisfying. There are also a couple of new characters introduced that genuinely seem interesting, but they are given hardly any chance to shine. I imagine they will be more heavily involved in the next game, but it was another aspect that was really disappointing. Instead of doing things cooperatively or in a way that allows the player to emotionally connect with them, you're forced to do mind-numbing tasks that are at least 80% "Go here and push a button to insert Cortana into the network." It is so dry and dull that eventually I just turned the difficulty down and began running through the sections of levels where it was possible. That's horrible to say, but I just got so tired of doing the exact same thing.

As with games like Crysis 2 or movies like Avatar, I don't care how amazing the picture or the sound is if there is no substance to the story. There is no satisfying payoff at the end. You can't just throw words out there with implied grandiose importance and expect me to care or think it's really epic. Words like Composer, Mantle, Gateway, Reclaimer, and on and on. What you're subjected to at the end is an overly forced cinematic that is supposed to be emotional (???) or something. But since it was handled in such a clunky way I wasn't moved at all (when I should have been). And then after the credits the Didact is doing narration in the past tense as if he survived the final confrontation (wouldn't surprise me) and is going to continue to be the villain. I mean if your bad guy is going to be senseless at least make him interesting, and not have him say such cliche things as "Humanity is the single greatest threat the galaxy has ever seen," when in the game humanity has done nothing without being first provoked. It's just so stupid, and I shouldn't be sitting and laughing at how simplistic the dialog is in a game like this. Again, it's okay to have corny dialog in action games or movies, as long as the people working on the game or movie know that it's cheesy. When the dialog and the tone are clashing though, the player is taken out of the immersion and then has to think about why that felt so wrong. Or maybe not everyone, based on the reviews, but for me at least.

I'm really not trying to come across as that guy who is nitpicking this game to death because I hate its popularity or whatever. I'm sure if I went back and analyzed the first three Halo games and Reach you could nitpick the logic to death in those games as well. And I know that all games have busy work in them designed to pad the playing time. That's fine, but the job as developers is to disguise it in a way where you aren't constantly feeling dread every time you go to do something, knowing that it's not going to be as simple as it's planned. Sometimes it should be as simple as it's planned. It's called diversity and it's a beautiful thing.

So yeah if you're a fan of games where you get fire cool weapons at aliens and robots and don't give a damn about story or characterization in even the most basic way, buy this game. Likewise if you want it just for the multi-player, I'm sure that's good as well. If you're looking for substance though, look elsewhere. This game earns two stars only for the time they spent making the game look and sound beautiful.

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (Widescreen Edition)
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (Widescreen Edition)
DVD ~ Ewan McGregor
Offered by JGmediasupply
Price: $57.23
120 used & new from $2.69

1.0 out of 5 stars It's gonna be great, December 8, 2012
It's stylistically designed to be that way, and you can't undo that, but you can diminish the effects of it.

Assassin's Creed III
Assassin's Creed III
Offered by NYC Electronics
Price: $16.86
501 used & new from $0.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Morally and Thematically Complex, November 19, 2012
This review is from: Assassin's Creed III (Video Game)
Assassin's Creed III is a melting pot. It's both a level above and away from the previous iterations, and it's going to alienate some people. It has a new protagonist, a number of entirely new features, some improvements, and some problems.

This review will be long and I will try to keep it in a cohesive order. Apologies for any tangents.

The game opens right where AC: Revelations left off, after a few minutes of cutscene summarizing the events of the past games. Once into the Animus, the game opens in Britain, not what I was expecting. Depending on how many non-story-related things you let distract you, the first three sequences of the game can take as little as two hours, or as many as (???). This is both good and bad. Good because the game takes the time to establish the characters, which causes we the audience to emotionally connect to what we're doing. Bad, because I don't know about anyone else, but after the first few hours I started to get confused, as I thought the game's protagonist centered around a half Mohawk Native American, and a Brit. Maybe that was common knowledge to other people, but I try to stay away from information regarding games before they are released.

I have heard a few people say that the entire story leading up to where it shifts focus to the protagonist is a tutorial, but I disagree. The opening mission in the opera house is a tutorial, after that we stay with the same character because it is necessary to establish who he is, what he's doing, and why it matters.

Before getting into the features and improvements/problems, I would also like to address the issue a lot of people seem to have with the protagonist, Connor. It's true he isn't very a very likeable person, but to me, characters can be unlikeable and still be interesting. That's how I feel about him anyways. Through pretty much the entire game he is angry at many different people and groups of people. One of the things I think the game succeeded greatly at is establishing that Connor is on his own side, and he's pretty much the only one on his side. In the game there are seven British-controlled forts in Boston, New York and the surrounding wilderness. Once you eliminate the fort's captain and raise the "American" flag, you get a cutscene showing the Redcoats leaving the the Patriots taking control of the fort. But once the Patriots are in control, they still show as red on your minimap, as though they are the enemy, exactly the same as the Redcoats. It's a small thing, and it was very confusing to me at first, and then you realize that from Connor's perspective, who is participating in this war only to try to protect his people and their land, anyone who disregards what is most important to him is an enemy. It comes across really well in the game, and I understand that to be the main reason (among others) that he is usually very angry or impatient with multiple important historical figures who have been lionized by mainstream American politicians and education systems.

Coming back to Connor being unlikeable, it is worth mentioning that Altair starts off as being very unlikeable in the original Assassin's Creed. He starts out very arrogant and little better than a murderous thug. Over the course of the game though, his arc sees him realize his mistakes, and fundamentally change as a person, thus becoming a better person and more likeable. Connor likewise has an arc, but it's more subtle, and thus easier to gloss over. As previously stated, whether or not a character is likeable, I hate sloppy writing and poor characterization. When people do things that don't make sense it bothers me, far more than Connor not being as charming or as funny as Ezio, or not having such a noticeable shift as Altair. I understand why Connor is the way he is, and I have absolutely no problem with him. Ubisoft spoiled us with Ezio. I mean, he got two and a half AC games, and Brotherhood especially saw his arc fully realized. Connor is a more complex character, in a more complex socio-political setting, and I would encourage people who are dissatisfied with him to give him another chance.

The same is true of the story. One of the things I really enjoyed about the main story was how all of these important historical figures were humanized. George Washington wasn't seen giving epic and inspirational speeches before murdering a thousand Redcoats with only his wig. Just the opposite in fact, it's more shown how he was kind of an ineffective military commander. Not to say the Assassin's Creed games are factually accurate, but I was definitely worried about bias in the game, which I saw absolutely none of.

There are two new features to the AC franchise, being the ability to hunt in the wilderness, and new naval battles at sea, which, to reiterate almost universal sentiment, are awesome.

The latter aspect could be a game in itself, but the best part is it's not. Firing a broadside into an enormous man-o-war and watching its hull be devastated, taking cover as they barrage you, taking out the enemy's masts with a chain shot, or destroying schooners with the swivel guns, pretty much the entire thing is incredibly fun.

The former new feature, hunting, reminded me a lot of Red Dead Redemption, and that's fine. Obviously this is slightly different as you're more likely to use bow or blade in this than a gun, but it's very similar in most other ways. Once in the wilderness (known in-game as the Frontier), it's very easy to get lost in it and just wander around killing wolves, bobcats, cougars, bears, rabbits, hares, foxes, elk, deer raccoons, etc. For people who enjoy it even more than I do, there are also snares and bait that can be used to lure unsuspecting prey into an ambush.

Aside from the entirely new features, there are a number of changes that have been made to combat, free-running, and free-climbing. Some work, and some not so much.

Combat has very much been simplified, and to me, not for the better. I didn't really see a need to simplify it further, and now it feels more like a button masher than it ever did. There is obviously some sort of way to achieve kill streaks or combo's, but over forty plus hours of gameplay I never found it. It doesn't seem like previous games, where you press the attack button at evenly spaced intervals to keep your combo going, now it's more just like press attack a bunch of times in a row `til you've killed `em real good. It's a minor complaint really though, since the ways in which you can attack people is still quite varied, and even if it takes less finesse now. It's worth noting at well that your kills are different depending on the surroundings. If you're near a wall you're more likely to incorporate that into your finishing move, which is neat.

Free-running has been improved, and has incorporated trees into the climbable geography. In general, climbing and running along an uneven path along rooftops or ledges is easier now and there is a much smaller likelihood that you will jump somewhere you don't intend. I'd say it's about as good as you're going to get, since there will always be at least a few issues where you want to jump down to the ground but you continue along an elevated path instead. No complaints here.

Onto the problems the game suffers from now. Clipping has always been an issue in the Assassin's Creed games, but it was more noticeable this time around. It wasn't a constant annoyance, and to me unless it's terrible and constantly distracting, it's pretty much a non-issue, but if you absolutely can't abide it, you'll probably be more annoyed than I was.

I had two instances of glitching over forty plus hours of play, which also isn't bad. It's probably more than all the previous games, but considering it's a new engine, that's not bad at all.

For me, I think what is probably the biggest problem to me is the new cover system. Connor can now hide among tall bushes or grass or what have you. But there is no sort of camouflage or anything, so while the game does read you as being concealed, it is ridiculously obvious that there is someone hiding right in front of you in the grass. I realize this series is not supposed to be the most realistic, but it is laughable how bizarre it looks when enemies aren't detecting your presence and you're clearly visible.

Along with the cover system, the map is also a step down (it seems) from all previous games. It is not topographical, and thus two points on a map might be separated by a huge valley, or mountain, or whatever. Synchronizing at high points also don't fully reveal a map, leaving you to explore areas on your own to find treasure chests, feathers, almanac pages and all the rest. This is good, as it forces you not to be lazy, but it's bad because I'm lazy and would rather just have the game do the work for me. You can still buy maps that show all the locations though.

The end of the game was mildly disappointing, but to be honest, but it was pretty clear after Revelations that the present day story was going to fall short of expectations. As with all long franchises, the expectation of the outcome of the story is crushed under its own epic nature. It wasn't a surprise, and they probably did as best they could, but I was kind of left wanting.

Overall though, I was and continue to be very pleased with the game. It has some problems, but for me those were hugely outweighed by the things in it which I enjoyed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9