Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Shop Now
Profile for J. Powell > Reviews

Browse

J. Powell's Profile

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Powell RSS Feed

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty but also pretty meh, March 11, 2015
Nice looking pen but after a month of daily use the interior cap is coming loose and the pen just doesn't seem to be holding up too well. Write well on some types of paper but on some types of paper it is very scratchy.

Replacement Remotes
Replacement Remotes
Price: $25.99
65 used & new from $16.58

5.0 out of 5 stars AMazingly easy to work with, April 22, 2014
I bought a remote from them and they were prompt and the information they provided was very easy to use. As it turned out the unit I bought did not work with the model I have and they refunded my money no questions asked. Really went above and beyond. The Best

Parable of the Sower
Parable of the Sower
by Octavia E. Butler
Price: $11.58
93 used & new from $6.94

3.0 out of 5 stars An Okay Read, May 7, 2009
This review is from: Parable of the Sower (Paperback)
I thought Octavia Butler's Parable of the Sower was a decent science fiction novel and a poor philosophical one. It is a work of speculative fiction set in America in the year 2025. The novel is a first-person narrative from the perspective of a young woman, Lauren Olamina. In the beginning of the novel, Lauren lives in a middle-class, gated community just outside of Los Angeles. Civilization has drastically declined due to a combination of global warming and the loss of resources like clean, potable water and petroleum. No one except the very wealthy use gasoline powered automobiles, and food and water are hugely expensive commodities. Outside Olimina's enclave, the streets are filled with violence and chaos. Butler pointedly never quite spells out exactly how the world came to be this way, thus clearly implying that we are already moving in that direction - hence the genre categorization of speculative fiction. Butler uses the novel as a warning to the world. At the same time she's writing this speculative science fiction, however, she is designing a philosophy called Earthseed, which she expounds upon using her protagonist. In the story, Olamina has invented the religion Earthseed and it is the main focus of her life. She is determined to escape the enclave and spend her days refining and then teaching the canons of Earthseed, the most central of which is that "God is Change." In the back of the Grand Central Publishing edition of novel, Butler explains how she decided to make this the basis of the religion. "I put Earthseed together by asking myself questions and coming up with answers. For instance, I asked what was the most powerful force I could think of? What one thing could we not stop no matter how hard we tried? The answer I came up with after some thought was `change'" (335).

It's certainly not a unique tactic to use a dystopian view of our future to exemplify the parts of the true human spirit we're in danger of losing if we continue on in our greedy, selfish ways - think Brave New World. But honestly, the biggest downfall of the novel is the fact that it seems like the actual concept of Earthseed, with all of its philosophy should be the thing the reader walks away with. It seems like Butler probably wrote the novel around the religion, but it does not end up working out that way. Few reviewers had much to say about the passages in the beginning of each paragraph, which apparently come from what will be Earthseed's bible, and truthfully I felt the same way. The story was interesting and I can even see it being a good warning or lesson for Americans and our "gimme gimme" mentality when it comes to water and food and oil, but the "God is Change" and the "Take to the stars" concepts didn't stick with me. While I by no means hated the book, I was decidedly unimpressed with it. It is a cross between a Lifetime movie and George Orwell's 1984. I could have done without the former, so I leave you with the recommendation to just go for the latter.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 9, 2013 5:09 PM PDT