Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Back to School
Profile for Bibliophile > Reviews

Browse

Bibliophile's Profile

Customer Reviews: 52

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bibliophile RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Types in Genesis
Types in Genesis
by Andrew John Jukes
Price: $25.99
53 used & new from $0.63

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't live up to its title, March 4, 2008
This review is from: Types in Genesis (Paperback)
This book purports to be an examination of the symbols and foreshadowings in the book of Genesis from the Bible. It falls short of the promise. Instead of getting an exhaustive and rational look at how this first book of the Bible sets the symbollic stage for the succeeding books, it's a list of types with little or no attempt to explain them through the lens of culture, history or Biblical symbolism. It takes an exciting subject and makes it into a shallowly-rendered cure for insomnia with as much power as a worn out battery. Sorry, I'd like to have loved this book, but there just wasn't much substance.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2016 2:57 PM PST

Have You Found Her: A Memoir
Have You Found Her: A Memoir
by Janice Erlbaum
Price: $11.78
92 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A lesson in savior behavior, March 4, 2008
Erlbaum's book strikes a chord for anyone who has dealt with a loved one with Borderline Personality Disorder. And for anyone co-dependent with a BPD sufferer. I have could have been Janice in this story, believing everything my BPD loved one told me about her unfortunate life, "protecting" (enabling) her, letting her manipulate me with her neediness and my desire to "save" her from the ugliness of her life. I know Erlbaum's book rings true because I lived it for 40 years before I finally figured out I was being played by a skillful liar and manipulater. Even though I knew where the story was going, I still hoped it would end differently, with a positive resolution in which everyone lives happily ever after. Guess I'm still pretty suseptible to the BPD way of life, huh?

If you have a loved one with BPD or you find yourself being someone's savior, read this book and know you are not alone. There are lots of us out there. We should start a club or something.

And Sometimes Why
And Sometimes Why
by Rebecca Johnson
107 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Best new fiction for young adults??, March 4, 2008
This review is from: And Sometimes Why (Hardcover)
I read this book because it was recommended to me on a list of best new fiction for young adults. By the end of the first chapter, I was sure it was true. By the end of the last chapter, I was sure whoever put it on that list hadn't read the book. The first chapter is magnificent. It sets up a family drama to rival "Other People" with its realistic emotions, its portrayal of the lives and emotions of an upper middle class family with two teenage daughters, and two hard-working parents trying to do a good job of raising them. The first chapter was great, but each successive chapter became incrementally weaker. The gimmick of the "AEIOU and sometimes Y" is contrived and overworked. Really, how many times does that need to be repeated in one book before people get the allusions of the title? In fact, I don't think the gimmick added anything to the story at all, it could have been left out and the story would have been even better.

The gimmicky and gratuitous scene with the Christian woman at the grief counselling session is contrived, too. I have to wonder how many Christian women Rebecca Johnson actually knows after reading this scene. It would have been so much more powerful to develop the pain, anger and grief of the parents of the kidnapped child instead. Or into the grief of the parents who had to deliver a dead baby. That actually happened to a friend of mine and I can tell you, when she held her dead child, all her love, her hope, her faith and doubts in God converged into an atomic bomb of emotions. I guess maybe Johnson had a hard time tapping into those strong emotions, but why on earth would she substitute telling their story in favor of giving us one more flimsy and contrived stereotype of Evangelical Christianity? We've seen that stereotype in a hundred novels already and it's BORING. And it would have been interesting to develop the scene with Harry Harlow showing up at the grief support group, maybe exposing the horror and pain he was feeling, instead of having him show up to trawl for sex partners. What's that all about anyway?

For the life of me I can't figure out what the whole thing about the fish in the pool was doing in this book. What did that tell us about the characters, about the situation, about the powerful life-change they are forced to endure?

The reaction of the other daughter to her sister's tragedy is shallow and not very realistic. And the stuff about the fox was poorly thought out. Johnson could have developed the relationship of the fox to the emotions Miranda must have kept buried since the accident. Instead, she seems to lack any emotion about the fox at all, except annoyance and pragmatism. It seems so obvious that the fox's situation should have brought out the deep grief of losing her only sibling in an equally senseless way. That would have been a powerful scene.

The relationship between Harry Harlow and Sophia could have been cathartic for both of them. She meets the man who accidentally kills her daughter and she acts like she doesn't feel anything?

The final scene is so sappy you could pour it on pancakes. Does Johnson know any teenagers?

I guess I blame the editor for either letting this book get published without fully developing it and for either allowing or creating the gimmicky stuff. Did the editor think we haven't seen enough smarmy stereotypes in modern novels?

All said and done, it wasn't the worst book I've read in the last year, but it was far from the blockbuster book it could have been.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2011 4:05 PM PDT

Mommy? ( a pop-up book)
Mommy? ( a pop-up book)
by Maurice Sendak
Price: $24.95
122 used & new from $0.46

4.0 out of 5 stars Momm?, October 15, 2007
This book is really cute and a lot of fun! It has some of the most complex popups in any children's book! The surprise doors are a wonderful treat, too.

Madman: A Novel
Madman: A Novel
by Tracy Groot
57 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Eww!, March 14, 2007
This review is from: Madman: A Novel (Paperback)
I received this book as a gift and couldn't wait to read it.

I thought it would be an exploration of mental illness and the terrible toll it takes on the human soul. I thought it would explore the historical conditions and supersitions that people with mental illness had to live under. I thought it would end with Christ triumphally healing the man who lived among the graves in the Bible.

It was none of those things.

But I found it very upsetting and somewhat sickening. For a Christian book, it focuses an awful lot on human sacrifice and very dark things. I have never read a bleaker novel in my whole life. I felt depressed and hopeless at the end, instead of knowlegable and uplifted.

I understand how horrible mental illness was back then and how horrible human sacrifice always is. What I don't understand is why this book focused on the dreadful oppression without offering any hope for a better future.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2012 5:06 PM PDT

Puppies Are Like that! (Pictureback(R))
Puppies Are Like that! (Pictureback(R))
by Jan Lööf
63 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A book is worth a thousand photos, March 2, 2007
When my nephew was a toddler, he loved this book more than all the others combined. Between his parents, grandparents and me, we must have read him that book thousands of times, at least, before he learned to read it by himself.

Twenty years later, a friend gave me a big bag of books her children no longer needed. Down at the bottom of the bag was a copy of that book, well-worn and obviously loved. I laughed when I saw it and set it aside.

The next time my nephew visited me, I handed him that old book. Now that he was a grown man, would he remember the book or think that it was weird that his aunt gave him a children's book? Greg remembered the book and still loved it. He instantly sat down and read it several times. When he was done, he told me he remembered the book and all the people who read it to him. He remembered what it was like to sit in his great-grandmother's lap and snuggle while she read to him.

His grandmother and great-grandmothers are gone now, but the memories of them live on because of this simple child's storybook. All the photos of them in our albums can't conjure up the feelings of love and safety the way that one book does for Greg.

And the book has become part of our family culture. Whenever we have a young puppy and it does something naughty, we remind each other, puppies are like that!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 19, 2010 7:11 AM PDT

Bad Land
Bad Land
by Jonathan Raban

3.0 out of 5 stars Man versus nature exemplified., January 7, 2007
This review is from: Bad Land (Hardcover)
This books is a classic tale of what happens when humans try to force their desired land use on a region unable to accommodate that use. Like Sod and Stubble, this is another story about the struggles of Plains settlers trying to make their prairie lands produce crops dispite the fact that the soil and climate aren't suited to row crops. Prairie plants grow well in soil with low fertility and soil moisture. That's why the Great Creator, in all his wisdom put the prairie plants there in the first place. The reason the government gave this land away instead of selling it for a market value is because the land was bad for cropping, hence the name Bad Land. When farmers came in and tried to establish wheat, corn and other grains and vegetables, the crops repeatedly failed and the families suffered. The biggest lesson of this book isn't that the immigrant farmers overcame hardships, it's that people shouldn't try to force unsuitable uses on the land, and if the government wants to give you something for free, you should ask why.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Baghdad Burning: Girl Blog from Iraq
Baghdad Burning: Girl Blog from Iraq
by Riverbend
Price: $12.90
97 used & new from $1.98

1.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't have the ring of truth to it., September 22, 2006
I picked this book up from the "new" bookshelf at the library, expecting to have a great read about the war from the viewpoint of an Iraqi woman, but the more I read it, the more I became convinced that it is a total fabrication, that no woman in Iraq had anything to do with the writing of this book. It totally lacked the "ring of truth" to it. The writing was very American and seemed out of touch with Iraqi or Islamic culture and way of thinking. I have had Iraqi friends since college, and their viewpoint and way of expressing themselves is distinctive, unique to their culture and gepgraphy. But Baghdad Burning seemed totally North American in comparison to the Iraqi way I have come to know and love. It also doesn't seem like a very convincing female viewpoint. There is a glaring lack of authentic femaleness about it. I smell another "Diary of Hitler" and I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out an American wrote this book.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 19, 2015 8:37 AM PDT

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars A futuristic story of the past that speaks to us again today..., February 26, 2006
Born into a world where the USA is ruled by a benvolent dictator, the main character, Howard Rohan, made and lost fame and fortune as an actor in movies created by the official communications organization, COMUS (short for COMmunications of the United States).

On the surface, the movies seem to be pure entertainment, modern romances and action films, to help the people fill their leisure hours. But something more sinister is behind the films and the new acting troupes Comus has sent into rebellious California (of course). Why are the troupes touring the state? Why are the actors required to perform the play exactly as written with no missed words or ad libbing? What is the purpose of the giant sound truck that accompanies the troupe, even though all performances are open-air and without microphones? Why does he have a weird dream about the President committing suicide with a device called an Antic?

In its historical context, this is actually a very good book. Written in 1957 amidst all sorts of communist plots and fears of communist plots, this book explores some behind the scenes workings of totalitarian governments from the perspective of one person who cooperates not out of idealism but out of expectation of personal gain. It is interesting to watch Howard as he intentionally blinds himself to things that should alarm him and as he rationalizes mocking a loyalty he doesn't feel or believe in. C.L. Moore plays into all the fears prevalent in the middle of the 20th century and shows us that all totalitarian regimes eventually run out of steam as people begin to realize you can't really trade freedom for security because in the end you lose both.

It's also a sort of testament to the longing of the human heart to be free and of the resourcefulness of those who listen to that call.

I give it two smilie faces.

The Body Farm
The Body Farm
by Patricia Cornwell
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
369 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Body Farm--a total yawn, January 14, 2006
Somewhat exciting but essentially empty. It made me ask myself why I even read Cornwell books at all. It's just "CSI" in book form, with gratutitous adultery, cross-dressing and homosexuality thrown in for shock value. The story wasn't even woven together as tightly as an episode of "CSI." Why spend 3 hours reading this stuff when you can watch the same kind of story in 60 minutes then use the other two hours having a real life.

Not the worst book I ever read, but close enough.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6