Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lindsey Stirling Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now
Profile for Jennifer E Hughes > Reviews

Browse

Jennifer E Hughes' Profile

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jennifer E Hughes RSS Feed (Concord, CA USA)

Chicago: Music From the Motion Picture
Chicago: Music From the Motion Picture
Price: $6.99
459 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Good, It's Grand, It's Great, January 14, 2003
The first thing I said when this movie ended was that I had to go buy the soundtrack. Then I had to wait 4 whole days for the soundtrack to be released! I was not happy, but I am now! The movie was fabulous and the soundtrack recalls all the music that made it great. I am amazed at what great voices Catherine Zeta-Jones, Renee Zellweger and Richard Gere have. Who knew any of them could sing this well??? Queen Latifah's "When You're Good To Mama" is a highlight of both the movie and the soundtrack. But it's difficult to single out just one or a few songs to listen to because they all deserve equal playing time.
My advice? Run, don't walk to your nearest theatre to see this movie, then run, don't walk to your nearest music store and buy this CD! Trust me, you'll thank me later.

Audrey Hepburn Collection (Breakfast at Tiffany's, Sabrina, Roman Holiday) [VHS]
VHS
Offered by Mayon Collectibles
Price: $5.99
49 used & new from $1.18

5.0 out of 5 stars There aren't enough words..., September 1, 2000
I'll never forget when I fell in love with Audrey Hepburn. I was 16 and home sick from school. My mother had rented a bunch of old movies for me and Breakfast At Tiffany's was one of them. I knew, from the first strain of "Moon River" as Holly Golightly stepped out of the cab in front of Tiffany's, that I was hooked. I watched the movie three times in the next two days. I was completely enamored of Audrey's grace, style and beauty. Breakfast At Tiffany's has been my all-time favorite movie ever since (a great cure for the mean reds)! I still cry at the final sequence in the rain.
Over the next few weeks I rented every Audrey movie I could get my hands on, I have seen them all numerous times by now and own most of them, and Sabrina and Roman Holiday are two of my other favorites. Roman Holiday was Audrey's first American film for which she won an Oscar. She and Gregory Peck are truly magical in this sweet movie about a Princess out in Rome for a day of no responsibilities. Sabrina is the ugly duckling into a swan story, although ugly duckling is as far from Audrey as you can get! While Humphrey Bogart is my least favorite part of this movie (he and Audrey reportedly did not get along on the set), Audrey shines and her wardrobe is something to see in and of itself.
I can't recommend Audrey Hepburn or her movies enough. If you've never seen her movies, start with this trio. If you know nothing about the woman, find out. She was not only a wonderful actress but a phenomenal humanitarian. Her work with UNICEF should be her greatest legacy.
I know that there will never be another Audrey. But I am thankful that her movies will allow her beautiful personage to live on forever. But don't take my word for it. Watch this trio of movies and see for yourself. And while you're at it, pick up Funny Face, Charade, How To Steal A Million, My Fair Lady...

The Summer Tree (Fionavar Tapestry)
The Summer Tree (Fionavar Tapestry)
by Guy Gavriel Kay
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
77 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Gotta get my hands on #2, August 29, 2000
Okay, I just set this book down and I am dying to get my hands on the second one! Talk about a cliffhanger! What happens next??? But perhaps I shouldn't start at the end, I should go back to the beginning...
I decided to purchase this book because I am always interested in books about ordinary people in extraordinary situations. Fantasy is not my genre of choice, although I've read some great fantasy novels, but the description of this one caught my interest. It begins with 5 people in our world who are, in short, asked to take a journey to another world. Both the best and the most frustrating thing about this book is that throughout the novel I had little to no idea of what was going to happen next, why these characters were in this other world, and where the story was going. You truly feel as if you are along with Kevin, Paul, Dave, Jennifer and Kimberly on this great adventure. And slowly, over the course of the book you begin to see the pattern Mr. Kay is weaving and things begin to make sense. The last 50 pages rush you to a tumultuous ending. I honestly couldn't read them fast enough.
Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of this book. Oh, and while you're at it, get the second one too. Trust me on this one!

Mail
Mail
by Mameve Medwed
46 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars A little slow going, but worthwhile, August 8, 2000
This review is from: Mail (Paperback)
I love the premise of this novel and I enjoyed the characters. I did, however, find the novel a little slow going at times. But I honestly cared about Katinka and the people in her life and I wanted to find out what happened in the end. The best thing about the book is it's non-happily-ever-after ending. The book reads like a slice of life, ending with the open-endedness that life always has until it's over. I especially enjoyed Katinka's relationship with her mother (i can certainly relate) as well as her falling in love with little Max (what a cutie).
I would have liked to have given this book 3.5 stars but unfortunately that wasn't an option. I recommend this book if you are looking for well-written, well-developed characters in a charming setting but aren't in need of fast-paced action.

Lay Down & Love It Live
Lay Down & Love It Live
31 used & new from $0.25

5.0 out of 5 stars You Must See Sonia Dada Live!!!, August 8, 2000
This review is from: Lay Down & Love It Live (Audio CD)
I confess that until last Sunday, I had never heard of Sonia Dada. But, as fate would have it, I found myself at a free concert in Watertown, WI of all places! And it was there that I fell in love with Sonia Dada. Trust me when I say that if you see them live, you'll feel the same.
And as soon as they were done performing, I raced over and bought this album. And while I have a feeling that this album will stay in my CD player for many weeks to come, nothing compares to seeing them live. They are absolutely fabulous!!!! The energy coming off of that stage is something we should all tap into. If you enjoy music that makes you want to get up and dance or sing at the top of your lungs or get in your car and drive off into the sunset, then this album is for you.
I'm hoping they will make it out to California soon. And when they do, I'll be there!

The Trials of Tiffany Trott
The Trials of Tiffany Trott
by Isabel Wolff
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.99
109 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars A more annoying character I've NEVER met..., July 18, 2000
I have to say, that after reading all of the reviews of this book, I was really looking forward to this one. And I was highly disappointed. Tiffany Trott has to be one of the most annoying female characters I have ever read. Bridget Jones, she is not. I took this book with me on vacation and was expecting to finish it in a day or so. It took me 5 days to dredge through all the horrific dates in this book. I kept on through it all, hoping that the ending would redeem the rest of the novel. No such luck. (Upon finishing this book, I threw it against the wall of my hotel room in disgust)! Tiffany Trott as a book and a character has little, if any, redeeming qualities. My advice: stick to Bridget and leave this wannabe alone!

Happy All the Time
Happy All the Time
by Laurie Colwin
55 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Colwin - A Must Read!!!, July 10, 2000
This review is from: Happy All the Time (Paperback)
There are not enough words to describe how much I adore Laurie Colwin. I have read all of her novels and am deeply saddened by her untimely death and the knowledge that there will be no more delightful novels by my favorite author! This was my first Colwin novel and, as soon as I finished it, I set to reading all of her other books in quick succession. There is something so utterly comforting and insightful about all of her novels and stories that feels to me like I am coming home. She makes me yearn for a New England fall and cozy apartments with a fireplace and the one you love. Her characters are so idiosyncratic that you can't help but love them and all their foibles. I have spent numerous rainy days re-reading Laurie Colwin and I believe, once you discover her, that you will do the same!

The Inn at Lake Devine
The Inn at Lake Devine
by Elinor Lipman
Price: $12.37
253 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars My first Elinor Lipman, but certainly not my last!, July 10, 2000
This review is from: The Inn at Lake Devine (Paperback)
I stumbled upon this gem of a novel one day and decided to pick it up. It then sat on my bookshelf for over a year in the pile of "books i must read". I finally picked it up a few days ago and I really wished I had done so much sooner. I didn't have any idea of what to expect but I was immediately drawn into this story of a young girl who is taken aback by the anti-Semitism of an inn she and her family wish to stay at one summer. The impact this has on her life is far reaching and the journey she takes is one I relished to take with her. I enjoyed all of the different characters and their relationships and was thoroughly surprised at some of the twists in this delightful novel. Looking for a good beach read that's fast paced but not too fluffy? Then this book's for you!

Into the Woods (1987 Original Broadway Cast)
Into the Woods (1987 Original Broadway Cast)
Offered by US SELLER: HEAR AND SEE MEDIA
Price: $14.99
63 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The first CD I ever owned and still a favorite!, March 13, 2000
I saw a regional production of Into The Woods almost 10 years ago and fell in love with the production. If you've never seen it I highly recommend it. The soundtrack was the first CD I ever owned and it stayed in my CD player for months. Bernadette Peters has one of the most beautiful voices out there today. I still pop this one in whenever I need to add a little extra sunshine to my day. If you like Sondheim, musicals, fairy tales or Bernadette Peters then you're bound to find something you like on this recording!