Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now
Profile for David > Reviews

Browse

David's Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David RSS Feed (San Diego)

God and Evil (Summa Metaphysica, Book 1)
God and Evil (Summa Metaphysica, Book 1)
by David Birnbaum
73 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Caveat emptor, August 19, 2014
This book and its follow-up companion arrived at my office one day "out of the blue". I was intrigued by the topic and primed for some deep insight into the question of God and Evil. A promising start eventually decayed into word salad, leaving me unsatisfied and disappointed. Upon closer inspection I discovered that the "Harvard" imprinted on the spine had nothing to do with Harvard University, and I realized that I had been "had". I would give it zero stars, however it did force me to re-examine my own beliefs in this area, hence a single star rating.
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2015 9:22 AM PST

Dr. Sax
Dr. Sax
by Jack Kerouac
Price: $11.69
108 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Surrealistic Pillow, November 28, 2011
This review is from: Dr. Sax (Paperback)
Other reviews cover the plot and interpretation, so I will only share my reading experiences. Although I am a huge fan of Kerouac, this was not an easy read. I put it down several times before plowing through until the end, not sure why JK considered it his favorite. I picked it up again about a year later and discovered the secret to enjoying this book: surrender to its rhythm and let it flow through you. Let your mood dictate the pace and don't try to make too much sense of the language, just let it flow. Read it out loud, put it down when you don't feel like reading, and re-read passages when you get lost. This book dwells on the horizon between fantasy, illusion, subconscious and the eternal. Think Miles Davis "Sketches of Spain". Make of it what you will, but don't give up on it. I hated it at first, and now I can't wait to return, but its probably best to let it sit awhile, as there is a danger of getting lost in its world of imagery and hallucination. This is not On the Road. To be honest, I enjoyed the Subterraneans and Tristessa more, however this is the one I will come back to, if only for a fleeting glimpse of Kerouac's soul. Plow through the bad, celebrate the good, and enjoy the trip.

Rory Gallagher: Live at the Cork Opera House
Rory Gallagher: Live at the Cork Opera House
DVD ~ Rory Gallagher
15 used & new from $13.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Wrong Region, Wrong Time, February 24, 2008
Let me start by saying that over the past few months I purchased 8 CDs and 3 DVDs of Rory's music. Most everything is stellar, and I was looking forward to watching Live at the Cork Opera House. The DVD arrived several weeks after ordering and I could not wait to give it a listen. The packaging looked nice, but when I inserted the DVD it would not play (wrong region...I assume this was a European DVD). I had to settle for the computer to check it out. It was immediately clear that Rory was not on top of his form this night. He was beginning to show the effects of pills and drinking by this time (1987), and his energy and focus are low for most of the show. Even so, the playing is still brilliant at times, especially towards the end. Maybe because he was relieved to be putting it behind him, because I had the feeling that he was a bit embarrassed about his condition and knew that he was not as sharp as years past. That said, there is still some great music and the band holds up their end of the bargain with some particularly excellent harmonica work from Mark Feltham. But I have to say that this was not the Rory that I was hoping to see. I am spoiled on Irish Tour '74, and do not enjoy watching watching him deteriorate during the late 80s. I would also have liked to hear some commentary from the other band members, but none was provided.

Rory Gallagher
Rory Gallagher
Offered by Agadirbargains
Price: $29.07
22 used & new from $2.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Classic, February 2, 2008
This review is from: Rory Gallagher (Audio CD)
Warning: Listening to Rory is addictive! I recently purchased this CD along with the Rockpalast, Montreau, and Irish Tour DVDs, as well as the Irish Tour, Live in Europe, and BBC Recordings CDs. All I can say is....DAYYYAMMM!!!

Irish Tour '74
Irish Tour '74
21 used & new from $4.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Masterpiece, February 2, 2008
This review is from: Irish Tour '74 (Audio CD)
My only regret is that I did not buy this album when it first came out (I would have been ~ 14). I rank this with Jimi's "Band of Gypsys". It is a timeless classic that gets better with age....and better and better and better. This type of passion is so rare, and watching him play drives home just how special he was (get the DVD!!). Any one of "Million Miles Away, Walk on Hot Coals, I Wonder Who, or Who's That Comin'" would have made this a great album. The fact that they are all on one CD is stunning. I simply cannot get enough of this masterpiece. Snag the DVD for an extra treat...having the visuals makes the music even more alive. In the words of Donal...God Bless Rory.

Rory Gallagher: Live at Montreux
Rory Gallagher: Live at Montreux
DVD ~ Rory Gallagher
Price: $24.98
29 used & new from $12.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty Tasty Tasty, January 1, 2008
I saw Rory play at the Saba Club in Washington DC back in 1986. I had never heard of him and was blown away by the intricacy and volume of his playing. Last week I started sniffing around You Tube and rediscovered this sadly under-appreciated artist. This prompted me to buy "Live at Montreaux" and "Rockpalatz", and I have spent most of the last three days listening and watching. I can't get enough, although it is painful watching him deteriorate in the 90s. The 1994 show is especially difficult to watch as he is a mere shadow of his former self and appears to know it, however the joy and energy of the early recordings more than makes up for the last show. I can't wait to get this for my son so he can start sharing it with his generation. Rory is the heart and soul of rock and roll and he deserves more recognition in this country. He plays with passion and honesty, and his love and respect for the music always shines through, even near the end. I miss him. Anyone who loves honest musicians who play with passion will cherish this DVD.