Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now
Profile for Chels > Reviews

Browse

Chels' Profile

Customer Reviews: 613
Helpful Votes: 1945

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Chels RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Ivy in the Shadows
Ivy in the Shadows
by Chris Woodworth
22 used & new from $0.14

4.0 out of 5 stars Live To Read, February 15, 2013
This review is from: Ivy in the Shadows (Hardcover)
I almost always have trouble connecting with characters in books meant for younger audiences. Twelve year-old Ivy was an exception to this rule. Smart, serious, and relatable, Ivy drove the story forward with her efforts to protect her family during a difficult time. I admired Ivy and admonished her as I read when I suspected her ideas would end badly.
Ivy’s mother recently divorced Ivy’s stepfather. Rather than paying child support to aid in the upkeep of Ivy’s younger, half-brother JJ, Ivy’s stepfather leaves town. Now, Ivy’s mother and best friend Maureen spend hours thinking of ideas to earn money. One of these ideas result in the taking in a border Ivy’s age named Caleb. With a seemingly never-ending supply of stories, Caleb is slowly taking over Ivy’s role as caretaker of her younger brother. Another idea of Maureen and Ivy’s mother leads to Ivy’s mother working long hours at a restaurant, leaving Ivy to run the house. Ivy’s life is in a state of change through the course of the book.
Kids between the ages of nine and twelve could relate to Ivy and enjoy reading about her life. Ivy in the Shadows was a fun and easy read. I give Chris Woodworth’s efforts four out of five stars.

Shades of Gray
Shades of Gray
by Andy Holloman
Price: $11.99
25 used & new from $0.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Live To Read, February 15, 2013
This review is from: Shades of Gray (Paperback)
John Manning is a desperate man. He owns a good business, one that he is proud of. He happens to own a travel agency, however, at a bad time. 9/11 happens and the nation is in shock, many are afraid to travel, especially to fly. Naturally, John's business suffers and he must look elsewhere to support his family. When he learns that his daughter requires an expensive organ transplant, he knows he must forgo his usual morals. He becomes entangled with a woman who knows the value of money...and was raised with little of it. Their entanglement will feel very natural and realistic to the reader. They decide to help each other through this financial crunch...and they find unexpected ways to ease the financial burden.

The characters feel almost as if they could be the readers' friends or family. The author spends just the right amount of time expanding their characters, making them dynamic. The plot it very fast-paced and makes the book hard to put down. The author has a good way of words, though sometimes it felt like a couple words were used too often. At the end of this book, the reader will find the characters are plot hard to forget. There are more than a few twists and turns that will surprise the reader. Overall, this book is recommended to adult readers.

*Received a copy for review, this in no way affects my review*
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2013 10:58 AM PDT

Ashen Winter (Ashfall)
Ashen Winter (Ashfall)
by Mike Mullin
Price: $14.33
89 used & new from $0.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Live To Read, February 15, 2013
This review is from: Ashen Winter (Ashfall) (Hardcover)
First off, don’t read this book if you haven’t read Ashfall. I was very confused and had to track down and read the first (which was awesome). In the second book, Ashen Winter, we see Alex and Darla six months after the first book ended. My biggest enjoyment out of this whole book was seeing their relationship grow. Both Alex and Darla are compatible and I really connect with the love they have for each other. If you see all my other reviews, my stars are mostly based on how well I liked the characters. If the plot is bad, but I like the people in them, I keep reading. The plot in this book was very interesting and had me rapidly turning the pages. I loved how the invested the characters were in each other-when Darla is taken, Alex is determined to get her back no matter the cost!

My feelings were invested in all their decision making. The pacing was fast and action packed! I was glued to every page, nothing was slow or left me bored. It was seriously like BAM! This happened BAM! That happened, BAM! Twists and turns were everywhere... this is a book I couldn’t put down, which hasn’t happened to me in a while. If you’re looking for thrills, action, romance and suspense all packed into one book, this book is for you!

Chasers (Alone #1)
Chasers (Alone #1)
by James Phelan
Price: $9.95
66 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Live To Read, February 15, 2013
This review is from: Chasers (Alone #1) (Paperback)
Chasers left me with an empty feeling. I didn’t like the book, but didn’t dislike it either. First off, the characters fell flat for me. Two of them I liked, but the rest felt out of place or were just not interesting. There was a lot of running and talking in this novel. I thought that there would be some serious zombie (vampire?) action, but there wasn’t and that left me a little irritated. The zombies were thirsty for ANYTHING. Blood is a liquid; therefore, I believe they should be called zombie vampires. The concept was cool and weird at the same time. The plot was very slow and a tad boring at some parts. I started to skim some pages and it still kind of bored me.

Even though most of the characters were unlikable, the ones that weren’t were the reason I continued reading. At least one character kept me interested…and that says something. Even when it got slow, I was interested in the characters’ dialogue. Sometimes, they just kept talking and talking and talking, but if the reader skimmed a little, the plot became more interesting. I’m sorry to say this, but in order for me to like the book I skimmed about 2/3rds of it. That’s fine for me; I’m still picking up the second! I might not read the book word for word, but at least I’ll be entertained.

Love Finds You in Glacier Bay, Alaska
Love Finds You in Glacier Bay, Alaska
by Tricia Goyer
Price: $12.99
37 used & new from $4.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Live To Read, February 15, 2013
At first, I wasn’t sure how to react to Ginny and Brett. How could she just drive away from him? How could he still be in love with her after all that time that passed? Ginny seemed nice, but she also seemed too Hollywood. How could she expect Brett to welcome her and help her make life choices when she had run away from him? Then later in the story, I realized that I hadn’t been fair to her. If she had enough real talent to pursue a singing career, why hadn’t Brett been fair-minded enough to stay with her and support her as she took a chance? Why did he only want a life with her if they kept to their original plans? His Glacier Bay neighbors thought he was so terrific, but I wasn’t so sure.

Later in the story, both Ginny and Brett put aside their own wants to make their love a priority. Their love story is mirrored by the love story in the old letters that Brett’s Grandma Ethel pushes Ginny to read. I often seem to like stories set in the past better than contemporary ones; this book is no exception. Luckily, there are two stories in this one book. Clay’s reflective journal entries about his first wife show the grief and love he feels for his wife. Ellie Bell and Clay’s early 1900s romance in the Alaskan wilderness is so sweet and funny; reading about her attempts at cooking, shooting…and the outhouse falling in the river – it’s great!

This is also a story with amazing secondary characters: Ginny’s grandfather, Brett’s grandmother, the gossipy Dove, Janey…and who wouldn’t love the interjections by Nurse Schroeder? I haven’t been to Alaska; but after reading this book, I hope that I can visit there one day. A friend who went there was not too impressed by it, but the authors’ descriptions make the wild scenery sound like God’s country.

The Tutor's Daughter
The Tutor's Daughter
by Julie Klassen
Price: $10.86
111 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Live To Read, February 15, 2013
This review is from: The Tutor's Daughter (Paperback)
All of the mystery surrounding the Ebbington Manor’s Weston family in Cornwall reminds me of Jane Eyre. Almost from the start, Julian gives off a dangerous vibe. His over-the-top anger at a tutor shows his true, nasty nature. Twin brother Rowen must step in to save the situation from becoming violent. Emma Smallwood appealed to me with her intelligence and her devotion to her father. Initially when she is still in her own residence and when she is with her Aunt Jane who lives and acts so independently, I admired Emma’s spirited independence in this era when women had no real voice. Later while in the Weston manor, Emma’s reactions surprise me. She doesn’t seem to have the same gumption anymore. Insults and threatening circumstances don’t bring her to speak up for herself, as they should.

Lady Weston is delightfully hateful! Her many secrets supply the cattiness, mystery, and danger in the story. I can’t believe that Henry tries to be kind, even apologetic…and calls her “Mamma” in the end. Her “business” dealings with the shady Mr. Teague aren’t the worst of her sins. Even when confronted with the crime against her stepson, she still tries to protect smirking Julian – claiming that a grudge has been held against her “natural-born” sons. Instead of apologizing for illegal activities, she threatens her husband with ruin if he does anything about them. Her reasons for keeping her “ward” at the manor are just as secretive and underhanded.

The story moves a little slowly at times despite the mysterious happenings at the manor. Henry and Emma’s romance is fun to read because of their history when they were younger.

*Received a copy for review, this in no way affects my review*

Darklands (A Deadtown Novel)
Darklands (A Deadtown Novel)
by Nancy Holzner
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $8.99
39 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Live To Read, February 15, 2013
Vicky is a demon slayer with no demons to slay in a city that used to be filled with demons. While this could seem good to some, Vicky Vaughn is suspicious. After a bit of sleuthing, Vicky learns that her formerly demi-demon cousin Pryce is trying to regain the powers he lost. Vicky must stop her cousin before he brings chaos to the world.

However strong Vicky seems when she is kicking butt, Vicky has a vulnerable side. Vicky sometimes must neglect her personal life when she is working, which seems to be all the time. Kane, her werewolf boyfriend, is amazing. I will not give away any information about him beyond that. Read it for yourself! Why must supernatural characters set the bar so high?

Nancy Holzner wrote a winner. Despite not reading the prior books, I was immediately sucked into the world of Deadtown. I had a great time reading this book and would recommend it to anyone. I give Darklands five out of five stars!

*Received a copy for review, this in no way affects my review*
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 25, 2013 2:46 AM PDT

The Stranger's Woes: The Labyrinths of Echo
The Stranger's Woes: The Labyrinths of Echo
by Max Frei
Price: $15.24
25 used & new from $0.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Live To Read, February 15, 2013
This is the second installment of the Echo series staring Max Frei. Again, this book was once in Russian, so I'm always thinking how different the original story is. The last book had readers saying that some of the characters' wits were missing as well as some plot points, so I was nervous to start, thinking I won't see what readers in Russia did. If you don't compare this book to anything (which is hard if you don't speak Russian) this was a very nice book. Don't let this talk of "It's not as good when translated!" get you down; it has an interesting plot, the characters blend well together, and are entertaining and charming. Some of the characters were one-dimensional, but I found that to be okay in this book because their background isn't really necessary to make the plot move forward. Adding too much information about the characters will make the book drag on, which no one wants. What I really liked are the names in the book, such as "Foofloss" and "Boboota". I found myself saying these names out loud like a crazy person, just to hear what they're saying (which ended up making me laugh).

This is a series of stories; it's not all one big plot. At times, I did get confused and the questions the reader may have had in the first book had not been answered in this one, but it's not bad enough to put down. Unlike the first book, I became absorbed in Max's life and was amused until the very end. I loved reading more about the characters and even if it wasn't as good as the original, I found myself enjoying it! The series has (I believe) 8 books in Russian, so the translators are still working on them (I hope). I'll definitely devour the next installment.

Deception
Deception
by Kris Kennedy
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
61 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Live To Read, February 15, 2013
This review is from: Deception (Mass Market Paperback)
Right off the bat I knew that I was going to enjoy this novel; just look at/read the covers! Sophia is being chased by seriously bad men that want information about the location of her corrupt father’s business ledger. Someone else is after the ledger, too. Sophia and Kier, the lover who left Sophia five years ago, break into the office where the ledger is being kept simultaneously and reach an agreement to work together. Kier wants the ledger for different reasons than Sophia; he needs revenge on the men because they tried to kill him. He lives with constant reminders of their acts of violence and will not rest until they are dead. The harder the two try to stay away from each other, the closer they become. The romance in this novel is fantastic. It moves the plot smoothly, flowing with the events and the scenes that take place. I was never bored while reading Deception and think anyone who likes romance could enjoy this novel.

Kris Kennedy’s Deception has all the traits of a good book. Plot, action, and romance all wrapped up in one little novel that makes an excellent rainy or snowy day read. I give this novel five out of five stars.

The Underside of Joy: A Novel
The Underside of Joy: A Novel
by Seré Prince Halverson
Price: $9.93
76 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Live To Read, February 15, 2013
One aspect of the story that interested me, because I’m part Italian, was the internment of Italian Americans during WWII. Joe’s paternal and maternal grandfathers…and their families experienced the fear and shame that came with being dragged away from their homes to camps where they were held because they came to America from an Axis power. When my own great-grandparents moved into a nice neighborhood in the 1920s; many of the neighbors said, “There goes the neighborhood.” It’s great that Halverson included that prejudiced bit of history in her story. She is also a master of imagery; I felt that I could see the woods, the river, the picnic places, and the renovations at the store. She made me cringe at the suburban neighborhood with no grass and one lone birch tree in the yard.

Ella’s struggle to find the truth - and to accept it - became a part of me as I read the book. The many secrets kept from her, by the husband she thought she knew so lovingly and perfectly, were frightening. It was hard to read how much Ella had to struggle emotionally and financially. No wonder she headed to the hospital, thinking that she was having a heart attack. It’s alarming but true that doctors automatically hand out anti-depressants, sleeping pills, and anti-psychotic medicines. Then, as in this situation, courts and the public will cite the drug use as a proof for your instability. Paige, who had actually been unstable herself, tries to discredit Ella’s custody of Joe’s children using that argument. This biological mother/stepmother situation seemed almost overly dramatic; however since I have heard of so many unpleasant custody situations, the circumstances are believable and heart-breaking.

As Halverson writes “the most genuine happiness cannot be so pure, so deep, or so blind”. I am probably being dramatic myself, but I thought I found symbolic references to the title: the underside of the desk and the underside of the mattress. These are places of secrecy and/or heartfelt desires that didn’t come true. Often, joy glides topside over this pain, loss, and unhappiness – and triumphs in spite of it. Even though it was a difficult decision, I cheered that Ella decides to bring the secrets out. She chooses honesty in the custody battle, in her financial troubles, and in her own relationship with her mom and deceased dad.

*Received this book for review, this in no way affects my review*

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20