Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now
Profile for Sky > Reviews

Browse

Sky's Profile

Customer Reviews: 861

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sky RSS Feed (New York)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
VTech CS6419 DECT 6.0 Expandable Cordless Phone with Caller ID/Call Waiting, Silver with 1 Handset
Offered by iSave
Price: $45.02
3 used & new from $19.89

3.0 out of 5 stars Light-weight. Poorly Built. Cheap....It's Perfect!, September 20, 2012
I've had a Vtech phone similar to the one on this page for years; the one on this page is the newest version of the model that I have. The one that I have started dropping calls while on speaker...probably because the phone volume control on the side of the phone fell off about a year ago, hence the only way it would play a speaker call was at full volume...apparently the phone did not like to do that. So I figured it's time for an update.

Now I really didn't want another Vtech. What I really wanted was another of the several AT&T 2116 cordless phones that I have in my house. But I couldn't find that model on Amazon. Perhaps discontinued??? So I looked at the other options here and they really are few and far between for what I was looking for, which was a single handset with base, cheap cordless phone. Turns out here on Amazon most of what is being offered in the category are either units with an answering system (which I don't want/need...already get it with my provider) or units with 2+ handsets, or a combo of both.

It came down to either the Vtech on this page or the Panasonic KX-TG6511B. I didn't see much difference between the Vtech and the Panasonic other than the Panasonic being 75% higher in price, so I went with the Vtech. And it's pretty much what I expected, although there is one major (okay, maybe major is a bit extreme) difference between it and the model that I used to have: Disappointingly, the base on the new model does not have a light that flashes red when a voicemail has been received; you must rely on seeing a mail icon and "New Voicemail" on the phone's LED that is dark (while not in use) and hard to read unless you're up close. Instead the phone has a light on the base that glows red when "in use." Not sure what the logic was behind that decision in the Vtech design labs? Some genius said, "Hey, forget the voicemail indicator light; let's put a light on the base that lets people know when they are using the phone!" Anyway....

The phone works fine, and if it lasts as many years as my previous model lasted, I'll be more than satisfied. The Vtech on the page is a bargain, but it is also the epitome of "you get what you pay for."

Wrath of the Titans (Blu-ray)
Wrath of the Titans (Blu-ray)
DVD ~ Worthington
Offered by Van Buren Boys Entertainment
Price: $12.99
75 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Fail of the Titans, September 17, 2012
First let me say that I am rarely one to complain about an old movie, even a classic movie, getting a modern day makeover. I see negative reviews of remakes based alone on the feeling that some movies are sacred and should never be messed with. I say if you can take a classic and make it even better, then by all means have at it. The 2010 version of Clash of the Titans failed at making the 1981 version better and the 2012 Wrath sequel didn't come close to redeeming the 2010 debacle.

I was actually encouraged when I saw that Battle: Los Angeles Director Jonathan Liebesman took the reins from Clash Director Louis Leterrier, because I thought that Battle: LA was quite well done. But Liebesman stayed the course of a CGI spectacle with Wrath and abandoned any effort to make you think you were seeing anything that could have actually happened in Greek Mythology or any fantasy world; the death defying action in Wrath was completely unrealistic and the acting bordered on some of the worst that I have seen in the past year.

The story flow was a bit better in Wrath than it was in Clash, but again, not so much so that the end product was anything more than a below average screenplay. The concept was simple enough: Zeus (Liam Neeson) has been taken prisoner and Perseus (Sam Worthington) has to get him out of the Underworld and out of the clutches of Hades (Ralph Fiennes) and Ares who want to sacrifice Zeus as a means to release the ancient Titans on Earth.

Then there was the acting, or should I say lack thereof. It didn't seem to me that Worthington or Neeson took their roles seriously at all. They came across as two A-listers making cameos versus lead actors giving A-list performances. This combined with some super-unrealistic, death defying (even for a God) battle scenes really took a lot out of the movie for me.

I was never even a fan of Greek Mythology until seeing the original Clash back in the 80s. After that movie I not only became interested in Greek Mythology, I felt I now actually knew something about it...like I just had a very clear and concise lesson in it. After the 2010 and 2012 Titans attempts, I felt the same way I did after the recent Transformers movies...like I'd just seen a lot of cool FX with little substance to the story.

So my recommendation is to go back and watch the the 1981 original version and watch the updated Clash & Wrath on cable. As dated as Ray Harryhausen's stop-motion effects will look in the 1981 version, you'll walk away from it with a much more entertaining and even educating experience. And if you're just looking for some mythological fun I'd say get yourself a PlayStation 3 and spend countless hours with the God of War Saga.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 17, 2012 10:25 AM PDT

Omerta [Explicit]
Omerta [Explicit]
Price: $10.39
53 used & new from $2.38

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mob Rules...To An Extent, September 15, 2012
This review is from: Omerta [Explicit] (Audio CD)
Omertà
noun
(as practiced by the Mob/Mafia) a code of silence about criminal activity and a refusal to give evidence to authorities.

Cool title...actually had to look that up. And the small Mob that recorded Omertà is: Russell Allen - vocals (most known for Symphony X); Mike Portnoy - drums (most known for Dream Theater); and Mike Orlando - guitar/bass (most known for...um...playing guitar and bass on Adrenaline Mob's first record).

5 out of 11 stand out tracks on Omertà are the album's first 3 kick-off songs called Undaunted, Psychosane (in which Mike Orlando's Zakk Wylde influence loudly shreds), and Indifferent (that is also worth checking the video out for on YouTube). In the middle of the album, Believe Me is a driving Hard Rocker as well. And finally, an "interesting" track is the cover of Duran Duran's Come Undone with guest vocalist Lzzy Hale (of Halestorm). The other 6 songs probably won't last very long on my iPod. (8/21/2013: SEE EDIT BELOW.)

A lot of criticism of Omertà stems from Dream Theater's and Symphony X's fan base that justifiably expected a veteran Progressive Metal disk but got more of a straight up Hard Rock album. It was clearly a deliberate move and desire by Portnoy and Allen to record a Rock record, not another Prog record. And it sounds pretty good to me. I think that they'll gain some new fans with Omertà; and I don't think that they'll lose any due to the change in direction. But Dream Theater and Symphony X fans should listen to a few songs before purchasing this disk, because (some of) it may not be palatable to the Progressive Metal ear.

Since recording the record the boys have been on tour with a couple of different guys to help out, such as Fozzy/Stuck Mojo guitarist Rich Ward and Fozzy bassist Paul Di Leo. But just recently Disturbed announced their "indefinite hiatus," so for the time being it seems that Disturbed bassist John Moyer has found a new home with Adrenaline Mob.

All in all Omertà is a pretty good Rock record. If I had the chance to do it over, I would download just the standouts versus the whole disk. But who knows, my standouts might not be yours, so final word: Give Omertà a try if you like Hard Rock.

EDIT: 8/21/2013 - A year later it turns out that this ENTIRE disk is one of my most played on my iPod; in fact, one of the most stand-out tracks for me is Hit the Wall which I didn't even mention when I originally wrote this review. I guess my point is that this album really grew on me and became one of the top Hard Rock records in my collection. I can't believe that after my first few listens I originally wrote that only 5 out of 11 tracks stood out...I have never had such a wrong first impression of an album. So it's about time I got back here and fixed this sorry review. Changed rating from 3 stars to 5.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2012 8:03 PM PDT

Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream, Fragrance-Free, 2 Ounce (Pack of 2)
Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream, Fragrance-Free, 2 Ounce (Pack of 2)
Price: $8.98
35 used & new from $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Hand it Over!, September 13, 2012
Do your hands dry out at the first hint of cool, dry weather in the fall? Do your hands dry out even worse in the cold winter weather? Yes to both of those questions for me! My hands get so dry in the winter that sometimes the tips of my fingers will split like a bad paper cut and take many painful days to heal.

But there is a way to prevent this from happening, and when I say "a" way, I mean I've only found one way that if used regularly works to keep my hands moist and crack free, and that way is Neutrogena's Norwegian Formula Hand Cream. This stuff not only prevents severe dry hands, it quickly heals them too if you stick to a regimen of using it a few times a day. In the winter I try to reapply after almost every hand washing.

This stuff is highly concentrated, so it only requires about a pea-sized dab to thoroughly coat both hands. I've seen a few complaints about how its hard to work into the hands. And that's exactly the idea! You don't want to use too much of this; you want to find just the right amount that will be absorbed by your hands, and that amount shouldn't be much more than the pea-sized (or smaller) dab that I mentioned a second ago. Even a small amount will take a little effort to work into your hands so that you're not left feeling greasy.

If this Hand Cream doesn't sound right for you, Neutrogena offers other options, as do a plethora of other brands that might suit your needs. But this is indeed the right stuff for me. So whether it's the cold weather or you work with cleaners/chemicals that dry out your hands...or maybe you just need to wash your hands frequently causing severe dry hands...if nothing else seems to be helping and you're in search of a therapy. I think you may have just found it.

Do give it a try.

Mizerak Maple Billiard Cue
Mizerak Maple Billiard Cue
Price: $19.79
13 used & new from $19.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Stick It to 'em With This Cue, September 12, 2012
Oddly, the very brief product description on this page (as of this writing) states only that what you get when you order this pool stick is the "Mizerak Two-Piece Maple Billiard Cue With Black Nylon Wrap."

So let me see if I can help with some other little details and clarifications to help you decide if this is the stick you are looking for:

- First of all, it is a 58 inch cue and it weighs 19 ounces, which is pretty much the standard length and weight for a cue (at least it is compared to the pool cues that I've owned over the course of 20 years).

- By "two-piece" it means you will receive the cue in two pieces; it easily and securely screws together at the center of the cue.

- The "nylon wrap" in the description refers to the handle base of the cue being wrapped with nylon chord as a grip; it does NOT mean the stick comes with a nylon carrying case. (Hey, don't laugh...there are some complaints here on the page that suggest people thought the latter.)

- The cue has some stickers that should be removed and others that don't have to be removed. One that should be removed is a clear protective wrap around the top inch of the tip-end of the stick; it must be there for some kind of pre-sale protection, but seriously, at first glance this clear wrap made me think that I had received a defective stick. Another sticker I removed was at the base of the stick that reads Made in China that includes one of those bar codes. And finally I also removed a relatively gaudy sticker on the shaft of the stick that says:
Mizerak
Competition
58 in. Two-Piece Maple Cue
Stainless Steel Joint For More Solid Strike
Nylon Wrap
13mm Ferrule and Leather Tip

- The stick handles well with very little to zero vibration as long as you've firmly screwed the two halves of the stick together.

After seeing cues that range in price from $20 to over $100, this stick is exactly what I hoped for and expected: The Mizerak is a decent quality cue at an excellent value that I can share with the whole family and our guests. If you're looking for a personal, more luxurious, uniquely designed cue I would recommend shopping around at a brick and mortar store so that you can feel and see what is being offered...then try coming back here to Amazon to see if they are offering specifically what you're looking for at a lower price.

Rack 'em!
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2013 8:37 PM PDT

Act of Valor
Act of Valor
DVD
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Duty. Honor. Country., September 4, 2012
This review is from: Act of Valor (Amazon Video)
While perusing Instant Video on my PS3 this weekend I saw two movies that I thought would be cool. So on Friday night we did Battleship and on Saturday we did Act of Valor. And what a difference! With one you get suckered by stupidness and with the other you get captivated by awesomeness.

Director Peter Berg recently did an excellent superhero movie with Will Smith called Hancock. So when I saw that Berg would be at the helm of Hasbro's Battleship, based on the trailers, I thought we'd get a cool military movie that focused on the Navy and how it would handle an alien invasion. However, what Berg delivered with Battleship was a hokey, corny, unrealistic dud. I almost walked out of my own home theater.

On the other hand, fledgling Directors Mike McCoy & Scott Waugh come up with the unique concept of casting a group of real Navy SEALs in a story about fighting terrorists, and they deliver a powerful, realistic, emotional thrill ride of a military film.

So if we break out some of the important elements of both films, let's see how they fare against each other:

Battleship Story: 1 star - A cool Sci-fi/military concept turned into silliness by goofball, slow-moving side stories and disastrous attempts at humor.
Act of Valor Story: 5 stars - A serious, action packed military film based on true events of the heroism of US soldiers that have to rescue an abducted op and take out a terrorist.

Battleship Acting Talent: 2 stars - Taylor Kitsch (John Carter), Alexander Skarsgård (True Blood) and Rihanna (Really? Rihanna???) corn up the screen with unbelievable portrayals of men and women who fight for our country.
Act of Valor Acting Talent: 5 stars - U.S. Navy SEALs and U.S. Navy Special Warfare Combatant Crewmen show audiences their stripes and make you think that your watching real life Black Ops events captured on camera.

Battleship Action: 3 stars - When the actors aren't hamming up the screen, the action is not bad, but unfortunately there's way too much hamming up the screen.
Act of Valor Action: 5 stars - Even the short amount of time at the beginning of the movie that is spent introducing you to the heroes that will star in the film moves along due to the underlying tone of something big about to happen. Then when the real action starts, it's intense.

Battleship FX: 3 stars - Okay, Battleship's FX weren't bad, but even the main alien craft had a hokeyness to it as it looked like some kind of Transformer-bot instead of a lean, mean, alien fighting machine.
Act of Valor FX: 4 stars - Act of Valor is not an FX movie, but the use of current battlefield technology is awesome to observe in action.

Average stars for Battleship: 2.25
Average stars for Act of Valor: 4.75

Hands down: If you've not had the opportunity to see either of these movies and you're here looking for something to order on Instant Video (or put into you DVD player), stay away from Battleship and add Act of Valor to your cart/queue.

Battleship
Battleship
DVD
Price: $6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars No Acts of Valor in Battleship, September 4, 2012
This review is from: Battleship (Amazon Video)

Average stars for Battleship: 2.25
Average stars for Act of Valor: 4.75

Pink Floyd: The Story of Wish You Were Here [Blu-ray]
Pink Floyd: The Story of Wish You Were Here [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Roger Waters
Price: $12.05
32 used & new from $6.51

5.0 out of 5 stars A Little More Than The Story of Wish You Were Here, August 29, 2012
What an amazing work Pink Floyd's 1975 album Wish You Were here is. I still remember opening the album and being surprised by what I saw:

Side one
1. "Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Parts 1-5"
2. "Welcome to the Machine"
Side two
1. "Have a Cigar"
2. "Wish You Were Here"
3. "Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Parts 6-9"

I was like, "What? 5 songs??? Two with the same name?" Then I put it on my turntable, and I probably didn't take it of for several weeks. It was one of the most impressionable listens to an album I had ever experienced.

This Blu Ray release is the story of the making of that album and includes some very interesting back-story on the Syd Barrett days...which of course makes sense because Syd was the Crazy Diamond. The DVD is beautifully produced and the 85 minute play time goes by in what seemed like 30 minutes. For me it seemed to end with so much more to see and tell. But that is the torture that is every Pink Floyd fan's greatest desire: To see these guys get together again and play a show (shows!!!). Unfortunately, Richard Wright's untimely departure in 2008 obviates any true hope of a full reunion; hence, for Syd, Richard and the fans...David, Roger and Nick need to get it together. But I digress....

There are no full performances of any of the songs, so don't go in with that expectation. The Story of Wish You Were Here DVD is a documentary treat for any Pink Floyd fan. It's captivating to see these guys tell the story of the album during the current day, then flash back to the time period with video and stills of the time that the album was recorded, the time before it was recorded and bits of time in-between then and now.

And I had no idea that the vocals on the song Have a Cigar are not those of Roger Waters (or any of the other band members). Do you know who it is...without looking or watching the video? Check this cool 2012 release out to find that out and also make you seriously jones for a Pink Floyd reunion.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 31, 2013 5:26 AM PST

Sanford and Son: The Complete Series (Slim Packaging)
Sanford and Son: The Complete Series (Slim Packaging)
DVD ~ Redd Foxx
Price: $29.49
37 used & new from $20.19

5.0 out of 5 stars My Name is Fred G. Sanford, and This Here is U.G. Lee, August 28, 2012
The quotes from this 5-star series are endless. The title of this review is a lonely sample of the hilarious zingers that Fred (Redd Foxx) would make in reference to Aunt ("watch it sucker!") Esther.

Laughs abound in these wonderfully crafted episodes that covered all issues from family values to cultural difference and made great fun of every subject.

Sanford and Son was way ahead of its time for a 1972 debut. Creator Norman Lear (The Jeffersons, Good Times and more) had a great formula with All In The Family, and he applied it perfectly to Sanford and Son.

If you're unfamiliar with this sitcom, bottom line is that Fred runs a junkyard with his son, Lamont, and Fred's wife passed away leaving the two men to also run the household. But who could possibly not have at least seen a rerun of this classic show with its memorable theme tune?

This collection is as ageless as it is priceless. Some of the season 3 and season 4 episodes are without Redd Foxx due to contract issues, and that was a shame and absolutely effected the genius of the show. Thank goodness it was only a total of 8 or 9 episodes.

Hit the add to cart button. This is the big one! I'm comin', Elizabeth!

Sterling Silver 10-10.5mm White Freshwater Cultured Button Pearl and Round 5mm Created Blue Sapphire Stud Earrings

5.0 out of 5 stars For My Pretty Girls, August 27, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My preteen daughter just (finally) got her ears pierced. So I thought that I'd get her a little something. And, wow, did she ever show her 'pearly' whites when I put these pearl earrings in her hand. Although these have sterling silver studs, and she mentioned something about that "she's only supposed to wear gold studs" for whatever reason for a while. Mommy was quick to step in with her own smile and proclaim that it would be her pleasure to wear them when my daughter wasn't wearing them.

And they are very nice looking earrings. It's kind of hard to buy something like this online versus seeing/holding 'em in person before buying them...unless I guess if you can easily picture how big (or small) 10 - 10.5mm is exactly. And these were actually bigger than I expected (the pearls I mean). I expected them to be about the size of a small pea, and they are actually twice the size that I expected (these are about the size of a large pea if that helps). The small sapphires are about 1/4 the size of the pearls, but a perfect size in order to gracefully compliment the pearls. And both look great on the sterling silver studs.

Pretty earrings for my pretty girls! Most importantly, my the girls are delighted and I was rewarded with hugs and kisses which are more precious than any piece of jewelry that I've ever purchased.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20