Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM
Profile for R.L > Reviews

Browse

R.L's Profile

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R.L RSS Feed (Northampton, MA, USA)

Citizen Cárdenas: A Novel
Citizen Cárdenas: A Novel
by Steve Cole
Price: $14.68
33 used & new from $9.87

4.0 out of 5 stars Meet your homeless neighbors, May 12, 2016
Citizen Cardenas is a engaging tale that plunged me into the world of Chicago’s homeless citizens and the city politics that hold influence over their lives. Told from multiple viewpoints, including that of the middle class couple that tries to help, the story unfolds in surprising ways that kept me turning the pages and wondering what interesting and colorful character I was to meet next and how he or she would be connected to the cast of characters I had already gotten to know. Using both chess metaphors and poetry, this is a book both entertaining and informative vis a vis the stories behind the plight of the homeless, those who try to help and those who whether intentionally or unintentionally cause more harm to an already vulnerable segment of our population. It is a book to be enjoyed for its characters but, like all good fiction, offered me an opportunity to look a little deeper the next time I encounter a homeless person on the street. Although there are Christian and religious references, as someone who is neither Christian or religious, I'd characterize the book as more about the human condition than any religious doctrine. Or put more simply, if you are interested in understanding more about your homeless neighbors, this book is a good place to start. Disclaimer: I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Not Exactly As Planned: A Memoir of Adoption, Secrets and Abiding Love,
Not Exactly As Planned: A Memoir of Adoption, Secrets and Abiding Love,
by Linda Rosenbaum
Price: $19.95
6 used & new from $9.86

5.0 out of 5 stars A triumph of the human spirit, December 17, 2014
I couldn't put down this well written memoir. I laughed, I cried, but mostly I was taken in by the author's honesty and courage in facing a life wholly unexpected and different from the one she saw for herself from an early age. Life rarely turns out for any of us the way we planned. This is a book which teaches us not only about acceptance but about the triumph of love over adversity. We learn that we can in fact deal with the cards we've been dealt and we can do it with humor and grace. Linda Rosenbaum created such a life for herself and her family through her determination not to give up in her darkest hours, through her faith not to give in to doubt, and most of all, through the love she felt for the son she and her husband adopted in infancy. Reading this book, I too fell in love with Michael, a child born with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome but undiagnosed until age 6. Along with his parents, my heart ached for his struggles and cheered for his accomplishments. I've never adopted a child, and, before reading this book, I knew very little about children with special needs, especially children with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, or the real struggles faced by any parent of a special needs child. Yet, I found myself not only captivated by the joys and sorrows in the story of this family but by the end, I felt a part of this family, and all the more richer for it. This is not simply a story about this one mother or this one family; this is a story about all of us and the choices we make when life presents NOT EXACTLY AS PLANNED.

Casio Women's LW200-1AV Illuminator Digital Watch with Black Band
Casio Women's LW200-1AV Illuminator Digital Watch with Black Band
Offered by American Global Seller
Price: $14.00
27 used & new from $13.02

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware 10 year battery claim!, August 29, 2014
The watch itself is fine. The problem is that I specifically got this model because it was advertised as a 10 year battery. When I got the product (delivered promptly), the "fine print" indicated that the 10 years began with the date of manufacture. This date is no where visible on the box, manual, or watch itself. After correspondence with Amazon who directed me to Casio (who responded promptly), I learned this model was manufactured in 2003!! The battery is already 11 years old. Although it was still working, who knows for how much longer. The batteries in Casio type watches are not usually worth replacing and don't last very long so I thought this would be a good solution. I sent it back and got a full refund.

Waterproof Apple iPod Shuffle by AudioFlood with True Short Cord Headphones - Highest Rated Waterproof MP3 Player on Amazon (Silver)
Offered by AudioFlood
Price: $129.95
2 used & new from $129.95

5.0 out of 5 stars UPDATE: Still The Best!, March 21, 2014
UPDATE 2016
Two years after my purchase, I was having a small technical difficulty but true to form, the folks at Audioflood helped me solve the problem! They are a great company and this product continues to be a terrific product which adds a whole new dimension to my swim workouts. I am lost without it. Don't hesitate any longer, just go ahead and buy it! (See all my reviews below).

UPDATE: More than one year later.
When I read a review of a product on Amazon, I always want to know, how long the person has had the product and do they still love it. So, I'm here to say that over a year later, I think this product is still THE BEST!

I love my Audioflood and am always answering questions about it and recommending it when someone new sees me at the pool using it. The sound quality, the ease, and the Customer Service are terrific. I will say again (see my original review below), if you have any problems with your device or earbuds, contact Customer Service before giving up or writing a negative review. There are solutions which Customer Service at Audioflood can offer that will help you feel like I do that this is one of the BEST purchases for the money that I have made.

INITIAL review:
I bought this 6 months ago but wanted to wait until I had used it for a while before writing a review. I read all the reviews on this and other waterproof MP3 players before I bought this product. I previously had purchased a different waterprrof MP3 product which was less money but as they say, "you get what you pay for". It didn't work well with my mac for downloading music and eventually I just had to find a replacement product. I splurged on this one and it is the best! The best product and the best customer service!

I read about the problems folks had with the earbuds and I'm here to say that if you are having problems with the earbuds, contact Audioflood customer service. They are amazingly helpful and offer great tips. I have very small ear canals and though the shuffle worked great, I couldn't get the earbuds to fit quite right, stay put, etc. With the help of the Audioflood people, I stopped have any problems with the earbuds and am only sorry I didn't contact them from the get go. I am so enjoying the amazing sound quality and ease with which this player provides music for my swim workouts that I would encourage anyone looking at this product to just go ahead, buy it. It is worth every penny. And don't bother with the extra cost of warranty insurance. The product already comes with a two year warranty in the basic price.

JLab Audio JBuds J6 High Fidelity Metal Ergonomic Earbuds Style Headphones, GUARANTEED FOR LIFE - Titanium Silver
Price: $29.99
5 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great earbuds, Great Customer Service, August 12, 2012
I got these earbuds as a replacement for another product from JLAB that I bought on Amazon. I'm not a music connoisseur or very high tech but I listen a lot to both music and books on cd on my ipod and these earbuds deliver clear sound without any tininess. The titanium silver is also very smart looking and they come with so many options for sizing that even with my small hard to fit ear canal, I was able to find a tip cushion that fit perfectly and didn't fall out of my ears like so many others have done. I also really want to say what fabulous customer service JLAB provided. When I had difficulty with the original product I bought they worked with me endlessly until I just couldn't get the knack of using that product and gave up. So I wouldn't go away empty handed, they offered me my choice of any another product. It was probably the best customer service experience I've ever had in my life. I would buy anything from this company. Hoorah for JLAB!

JLAB JPTC82 Samba Travel Case for JBuds J2 Earbuds - Purple (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
51 used & new from $44.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Best way to carry my ipod and earbuds, August 12, 2012
I LOVE my JLAB Samba case. It is easy to tuck into my gym bag or purse, keeps my earbuds from getting tangled up, and allows me to carry my ipod in its armband all in one place. The hard shell products everything and the purple color makes it easy to spot in my bag. JLAB also has 5 stars on customer service.

Heal Your Headache
Heal Your Headache
by David Buchholz
Price: $9.93
408 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A miracle I still can't believe!, June 6, 2006
This review is from: Heal Your Headache (Paperback)
I heard Dr. Buchholz being interviewed on the radio; then I went to the radio website to read more; then I thought, "hey, what do I have to lose?" and I got the book. I have been on the 1-2-3 program for 1 month and it is the first time in years (and I mean tens of years)that I have had only had 1 biggie headache in a month (you know the kind-- it pulls you into a dark soundless room, your stomach lurches every time you move and you find yourself in bed for days -- trying to sleep it away-- and then with migraine "hangover" for another couple of days). I had long ago stopped caffeine, red wine and aged cheeses but I still had debilitating headaches or as someone in his book says, "head-bangers" (I knew just what she meant!). I thought my headaches would lessen after menopause but it seems they got worse. I have followed the diet religiously and went cold turkey off Amerge (which I had thought was a miracle until I found myself upping the 1 or 2 pill per month I used to take to, within a couple of years, eating a box of 9 per month and even that wasn't enough to deal with my headaches). Right before I started Dr. B's programn my headaches starting changing with much more sinus pressure so I assumed I was now suffering from what were labeled "sinus headaches" and then they in turn would become familiar migraines; so, I went the sinus route with nasal sprays, allergic rhinitis meds, antibiotics and an mri of my sinuses. Fortunately, I got hold of my copy of Heal Your Headache 1-2-3 before I went further down that route and WOW! The diet is not easy when you start especially since I have been mostly vegetarian for most of my adult life-- and ate a lot of fermented soy products. BUT it is soooooo WORTH IT! I had no idea how potential sources of MSG are hidden under various names on labels. The hardest part of following the diet is eating out but the burden of coping with that problem is so much less than the burden of headaches that it doesn't even feel like a burden. I never thought I could give up chocolate but I'm not even tempted and I found I could eat things which I used to think gave me headaches like milk, and milk products (the unaged and uncultured ones). I've actually had fun creating new ways to cook and make what I consider gourmet restaurant meals at home. My husband is no longer the migraine widower-- and that alone is worth the price of the book. For 30 years I was a practicing licensed nutritionist/registered dietitian (now retired) and I thought I knew about migraine food triggers but I didn't know the half of it and I'm betting most nutrition professionals (and medical professionals) don't. The book itself is so thorough and so clear and all it takes is your determination to give up your headaches and start. The payoff is that the headache relief becomes its own motivation. Although it has only been 1 month for me, I have never felt so headache free in this short period of time (1 mild headache relieved by 2 ibuprofen-- unbelievable!-- and the one biggie mentioned earlier which only lasted two days instead of 5 and this happened after I realized too late that I had inadvertantly consumed some food triggers on top of a stressful week and a week of low pressure systems, weather-wise. I am so very hopeful for the first time about true headache relief-- not quick fixes that promise everything and overtime create more problems.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2007 5:49 AM PDT