Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM
Profile for Amy Olsen > Reviews

Browse

Amy Olsen's Profile

Customer Reviews: 22

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amy Olsen RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Shadow Study (Soulfinders)
Shadow Study (Soulfinders)
by Maria V. Snyder
Price: $10.99
43 used & new from $6.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Reunited and it feels so good!, March 16, 2015
You know those friends that you run into after a few years and it feels like no time has passed? That's what picking up this book was like. Oh, how I enjoyed being back in this world!!

Other than a couple of issues I loved this book. It's full of action, adventure, kick-ass characters, love and friendship.

My only issues were these:
1. I haven't read the Glass series in quite a while so I had forgotten a lot of details. There were quite a few characters and plot points that were involved in this book. I don't think you need to reread the Glass books before reading this though. I was able to piece together the forgotten plot details.

2. I'm pretty sure I've complained about this in all of Maria's books. Her main characters never spend enough time together. Just as I wanted Kerrick and Avry to spend more of the Healer books together, I want more interaction with Yelena and Valek. I know that part of the point is that they are capable of taking care of themselves but I love it when they are together. I'm hoping with where this book left off that we will get more of them together in the next book.

Even with those little hiccups, I'm so glad that Maria decided to continue this series. It's one of my all time favorites!

Sublime
Sublime
by Christina Lauren
Price: $13.34
122 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, November 13, 2014
This review is from: Sublime (Hardcover)
Beautiful, haunting and thought provoking. How far would you go for love?

Austenland
Austenland
DVD ~ Keri Russell
Price: $8.54
35 used & new from $7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all time favorites!, February 19, 2014
This review is from: Austenland (DVD)
I can't put into words how much I adore this movie! I loved the book and was a bit hesitant about the movie adapation. I was thrilled that the quirky, over-the-top characters that had leapt off the page for me were brought to life even more brilliantly that I could have imagined.

The Chaos of Stars
The Chaos of Stars
by Kiersten White
Price: $10.79
66 used & new from $4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Floods! What a fantastic book!, September 15, 2013
This review is from: The Chaos of Stars (Hardcover)
Mythology, sarcasm, adventure, romance, and good food... I'm not sure I could ask for more in a book!!

Oh wait, there's also the really flawed and broken main character that is figuring out who she is and what she wants from life.

And there's a swoony boy with dark hair and blue eyes, which everyone knows is my biggest weakness.

I've been a fan of Kiersten's from the day Paranormalcy was published. I thoroughly enjoyed that series. I was intrigued (and a little freaked out) by Mind Games. Which reminds me... I need that sequel soon!! But this book, this is Kiersten's best book so far!!

I've read a couple of reviews that said this book was hard to get into. I didn't have that problem but I can see that the first few chapters could be a bit difficult. There's a lot of background and character information to establish in those first few pages- don't give up, it will be worth it- I promise!!

Deception (Defiance Trilogy)
Deception (Defiance Trilogy)
by C. J. Redwine
Price: $14.73
65 used & new from $0.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the first book!, September 15, 2013
We all know that sometimes the second book in a trilogy can be disappointing. It's like that awkward stage we all go through, a necessity but not all that much fun. Thankfully, Deception is NOT one of those sequels. If anything, Deception is better than Defiance. And considering how much I loved Defiance, that's saying a lot.

Deception takes the action, adventure, and romance from the first book to a whole new level. It is a non-stop ride and I loved every second of it!!

p.s.- Chapter 40 is brutal. Have a box of tissue ready.

Revenge of the Girl With the Great Personality
Revenge of the Girl With the Great Personality
by Elizabeth Eulberg
Price: $13.28
75 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, February 28, 2013
Every time I pick up one of Elizabeth Eulberg's books I don't think it can be better than her last one. She continues to prove me wrong. Revenge of the Girl with the Great Personality blew me away.

I honestly don't even know where to start with this book. I finished this book a couple of weeks ago and I've struggled to write a review because I can't put it all into words. This is one of those books that I want to hug and not share with anyone unless they promise to love it but I also want to stand in the YA section and hand it to everyone that walks passed. In an attempt to not ramble/gush too much I'm just going to make a list of what I loved about this book.

-Lexi. I couldn't believe how much I connected with her. One of my favorite things about reading is finding characters like Lexi. It's a beautiful moment in a book when you meet a character and say "Oh, I know you."
-Lexi's friends (the real ones) made me smile and remind me of the wonderful people I have in my life as a support system.
-Elizabeth's ability to recreate that awkward high school experience amazes me. She does it time and time again in her books. The angst, the social pressure, the drama, the fun- it's all there in this book and it makes me very glad that I can relive those days from afar. (Those weren't my best years- awkward was an understatement for me.)
-This book deals with some really tough issues. Issues that made me cry. What I love about Elizabeth's writing is that she isn't afraid to tackle these issues and that she tackles them with humor. I think I love this because that's how I deal with most things in my life. To quote another writer I admire- “Make it dark, make it grim, make it tough, but then, for the love of God, tell a joke.” ~Joss Whedon. Elizabeth does this exact thing and it makes for brilliant story telling.
-The humor- I know I mentioned this in the last comment but aside from the humor in the serious situations there is a lot of funny that happens day to day. Any book that deals with child beauty pageants is bound to be humorous- RGGP does not disappoint in the laugh out loud moments.

Ok, I'm going to stop there because if I don't this review is going to be out of control. Revenge of the Girl with the Great Personality is a book that I wish I had read in high school. The message in this book is one that every single person needs. The day that we realize that a great personality is the most important thing is the day we become free. The earlier in life we understand that concept the luckier we are. Go buy this book today!! You won't regret it!

Beautiful Bastard (The Beautiful Series)
Beautiful Bastard (The Beautiful Series)
by Christina Lauren
Price: $10.21
162 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous escape from real life book, February 12, 2013
We all know those people- gorgeous, powerful, and a complete jerk. The people that set you on edge by simply breathing your oxygen. Now imagine that you are an intern, working on your MBA and that person is your boss. Your future pretty much hinges on that person that makes your life hell. Now you know how Chloe Mills feels.

Chloe has one additional problem with her boss, Bennett Ryan- unbelievable chemistry.

Because of their mutual dislike and unbelievable chemistry sparks fly from the very beginning of the book. I loved Chloe and Bennett's verbal sparring, sexual chemistry and their eventual realization that there might be more going on than just physical chemistry.

Defiance (Defiance Trilogy)
Defiance (Defiance Trilogy)
by C. J. Redwine
Price: $11.91
82 used & new from $0.05

5.0 out of 5 stars What a ride!!, October 8, 2012
I've been in a reading funk for a while. I've read a few good books but haven't really had one that swept me into another world and made me forget about real life. Last Saturday I picked up Defiance with the intention of just reading a few chapters. Several hours later I finished the book. I had completely lost track of time while I was immersed in this world of action, adventure and romance. That's how good this book is!!

Defiance had everything I need in a book- a strong female lead, a fabulous love interest, a villain that makes my skin crawl and a plot that makes me forget about my life momentarily.

Here are a few things I loved about this book-
The dual POV: I'm not a huge fan of books told from multiple personalities so I was a little bugged when I realized Defiance was one of those books. But once I got to know Rachel and Logan I realized the story could not have been told by just one of them.

The "Cursed One"- I don't want to say much because I want you to discover this on your own. I'm intrigued by this character and am anxious to see where the battle with it goes. (Vague much? Sorry!)

Rachel- this girl is kick-ass! She is strong and brave and more than a tad stubborn. She's also scared and broken. Watching her go through the things she does in this book is brutal. I have a feeling that by the end of this trilogy she will rise above even my expectations of a strong, independent woman. I can't wait to see her journey!

Logan- he's nerdy, insecure and carries quite a few emotional scars. He's also deliciously swoon-worthy. *sigh* I love me some Logan.

The only problem with reading this book in one sitting is that it was over too quickly. Now I need the 2nd book... is it 2014 yet?!?

Timepiece: An Hourglass Novel
Timepiece: An Hourglass Novel
by Myra McEntire
35 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute genius!!, June 12, 2012
On several occasions I have declared my love and adoration for Hourglass by Myra McEntire. More than once I offered to sell my soul for an ARC of the sequel to Hourglass, Timepiece. Luckily I did not have to actually sell my soul to get my hands on a copy. It turns out you just have to have really awesome friends who know of your obsession and take pity on you.

Those of you that I have discussed Hourglass with know that while I love Emerson and Michael that my heart belongs to Kaleb. When I discovered that Timepiece is from Kaleb's point of view there was a lot of fangirl squealing and there might have been some dancing around my house. And after reading Timepiece I can tell you that the awkward dancing was completely worth it- I loved this book!! I wish I could put into words how much I loved it. All I can say is that as soon as I finished it I started it all over again. Yes, it was that good!

Timepiece picks up shortly after where Hourglass ends. The gang at Hourglass is in the midst of a crisis and they realize very quickly that if they don't locate Jack that all of their lives will be permanently altered. Timepiece, like Hourglass, is full of adventure, mystery, romance (really, really swoony romance!!), kick-ass superpowers, and time traveling.

While I love all the action and adventure the emotional journey of Timepiece is what really touched me. I've admitted that I ugly cried over events in Hourglass but the moments that brought me to tears in Timepiece snuck up on me and caught me off guard with their impact. One of the many reasons I adore Kaleb is that he is so very broken. I don't want to spoil anything but Kaleb makes some huge emotional strides in this book. It's those moments that brought tears to my eyes. There is one really big emotional moment that took my breath away with it's beauty. Just thinking about it gives me chills!

Timepiece is a brilliant sequel to Hourglass. I can't say enough about this series- it has won a spot in my all-time-favorite series column. I'm so excited to see where the story goes in Infinityglass.

Those of you that are still insisting that you are Team Michael* all I can say is- come to the dark side, Kaleb will bake you cookies. He'll probably even bake them in his Kiss the Cook apron ;)

*Don't worry- I love Michael and think he's perfect for Em. I'm Team Kaleb for myself ;)

Insurgent
Insurgent
by Veronica Roth
Price: $10.19
1013 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than Divergent! (which I didn't think was possible), May 2, 2012
This review is from: Insurgent (Hardcover)
There is always some apprehension when you pick up a sequel to a book that you love. Will it be as good as the first or will it be that awkward sequel that just doesn't live up to the first and really only serves to set up the last book in the trilogy? I am very happy to tell you that Insurgent fits into the first category. In fact, not only was it as good as Divergent, it was better!

Insurgent picks up right where Divergent left off. I don't want to say too much because I don't want to spoil anything but Tris and Four have to deal with the chaos that begins at the end of Divergent plus Tris has to deal with her actions during those events. One of the things I loved about this book is that Tris struggles to deal with the repercussions of her actions. She doesn't always deal with them in the best way but that's how things are in real life. Tris reminded me of friends that I know that are suffering from PTSD. That being said, I still found myself being frustrated with both Tris and Four through out this book. Things are a mess in every faction and as Tris and Four try to figure out what comes next and who to trust they make things an even bigger mess.

Even though I was frustrated I still loved every minute of this story. There are moments that made me swoon (Four *sigh*), moments that made me really angry, moments of betrayal and moments that made me cry. If you thought Divergent was non-stop action you were sadly mistaken. Divergent was just one of the kiddie rides. Insurgent is a grown up ride- so sit down, strap yourself in and keep your hands inside the ride at all times!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3