Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for 12XU > Reviews

Browse

12XU's Profile

Customer Reviews: 336

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

12XU RSS Feed (SoFL)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Seagate 2TB FireCuda Gaming SSHD (Solid State Hybrid Drive) - SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Hard Drive (ST2000DX002)
Price: $104.99
43 used & new from $104.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My Tests Show SPEED! A Fantastic Drive; My New Go-To., August 25, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Let's get the packaging issue out of the way: this arrived in a padded envelope, bare. As in: no box. I was worried about it, but I needn't had been - it's fantastic.

Installation went smoothly: installed into my desktop and dropped it onto a SATA 3 header, powered up, initialized and formatted, and all was as it should be.

I run a box with an SSD for my OS and a Seagate 1 TB Barracuda for files, as well as an additional SSD and traditional HD for backups. Regardless, I tested performance against my SSD (which should, and did, kill it) and my previous speed king, the Barracuda. The results were extremely pleasing.

Additional test box specs: computer is well ventilated, home-built Intel i5 2500K chip on an ASRock z68 Pro3 Gen3 board. I did not overclock during testing. I'm running Windows 10 64-bit.

I used CrystalDiskMark64 and ran tests on all three drives. Tested both sequential and 4K W/R speeds, 1 GB test size, 5 passes for each test. The results are as follows (all results in MB/s):

Sequential R/W: SSD:522.4 / 457.2 - Barracuda: 104.4 / 98.78 - FireCuda: 170.9 / 219.6
4K R/W: SSD: 25.63 / 48.17 - Barracuda: .464 / .923 - FireCuda: .651 / 4.665

So the results vs the SSD were to be expected, particularly in the 4K test. I included them to give some context of course; the FireCuda is not meant to compete speed-wise with an SSD. The results against the Barracuda, though, are pretty great. 65% faster in sequential read, over 122% faster in sequential write, 40% faster in 4K read and a whopping 405% faster in 4K write.

Those are GREAT numbers. With the cost of a 2 TB SSD well north of $500, this is a great way to install large, fast drives in a computer for those of us without bottomless wallets.

In real-world use, ignoring the numbers for those of you that just want to know what this thing is like, it's incredibly fast. Moving huge folders with tons of large video files in them went way faster than I'd thing. It's also extremely quiet: I never hear it spin up, I never hear it reading or writing. Plus, it's running about 2 degrees Celsius cooler than the Barracuda, despite having the same amount of cooling. Temperature-wise it's on par with my SSD.

Assuming thing continues to live, I can't see a downside. A large drive, reasonably priced, that smokes every traditional hard drive I've ever seen or used. Until SSD pricing is competitive (and it may well never be), I'm using FireCudas exclusively from here on out.

A total winner.

Zinus Upholstered Detailed Platform Bed with Wooden Slats, King
Zinus Upholstered Detailed Platform Bed with Wooden Slats, King
Price: $289.00
3 used & new from $289.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Construction, Great Look, I Love It, August 16, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've reviewed a couple of platform-style beds this year, and this has to be my absolute favorite.

To begin with, the packaging is crazy-creative. The headboard isn't solid, it's padded cloth stretched over a frame, with a zipper back in which ALL the other parts are stored upon arrival. Unzip, take the parts out, and start to build.

As with other platforms I've put together, construction was easy and I built the entire bed by myself in under 30 minutes. Moving the box (or the headboard with the parts still in it) is pretty much impossible to do alone though, so get a friend or two to help get in where you can unpack it and carry the parts into your bedroom (you really want to build this in place).

Construction, once built, is extremely solid and the fabric pieces are really well built and sufficiently padded. This is a really nice switch from an all-metal platform bed that can put a bit of a hurt on your shin if you bump into it inadvertently. Places where they join together are tight and look fantastic, and the legs are a really nice switch from the box-shaped metal legs on other platform beds. I particularly like the horizontal metal crossbar on this bed, helping to alleviate flexibility that can occur on either side of the central vertical support bar. There are no squeaks or creaks whatsoever, though I expect that in a month or so I'll remove the mattress to re-tighten all the bolts.

The only downside I've found is the limited height of boxes I can slide under the bed. While there's enough height underneath, the cloth-covered sides extend down and block large boxes from being viable.

But that's not a big deal, and it's unavoidable if one wants those nice side and end panels. And nice, they really are. I think the bed looks fantastic in my room, and I really can't think of anything I'd change design-wise.

Movado Men's 3600258 Bold Analog-Display Swiss Quartz Gold-Tone Watch
Movado Men's 3600258 Bold Analog-Display Swiss Quartz Gold-Tone Watch
Price: $795.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, Accurate, Unexpectedly Works as Dress OR Casual, August 3, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Let's start with this: calling it unisex is a bit of a reach. This is big. And heavy. And those things, that may push it out of the unisex category have made it my everyday watch.

I'm not a big watch collector; I don't go to watch websites, and I can't tell you what movement is in what watch. Keeping that in mind, I do have a bunch of watches and, despite my initial reservations that this one is too flash, currently have this at the top of my to-wear list.

No second hand means no nurses or doctors will wear it, but it also means it's completely silent. I mean completely. I love that - it feels like the hands move by magic. It's also been wickedly accurate since I got it (though obviously it's tough to be perfectly accurate in that assessment without a second hand).

The body of the watch feels extremely solid and heavy, as it should. The crown is not screw-down, but the watch is supposedly water resistant to 30 meters. However, Movado says it's not suitable for swimming... I've never understood that: on what planet is "water-resistant to 30 meters" equate to "splashes only, no swimming?" Not a big deal though: this isn't exactly a beach watch. As an aside,I have showered with it on and it's shown no issues whatsoever.

The bracelet is great, and doesn't pull my arm hair, which is a big deal to me. This style of bracelet has ALWAYS been uncomfortable for me in the past: I'm happy sleeping with this guy on though. It's ajdustable via removal of either large or small links, though there is no fine tuning between. I've found a perfect fit though, so that hasn't been an issue for me.

I've smacked it into a few door frames (accidentally!) and it has shown not one mark. The crystal, although it's not sapphire, looks good as new.

All in all, this thing feels great and looks great, as it well should. And, although it IS really flash, I pull it off with jeans and a tee shirt, no problem. A beautiful watch that feels great.

Hello Oral Care Fluoride Free Toothpaste, Natural Sweet Mint, 4.2 Ounce
Hello Oral Care Fluoride Free Toothpaste, Natural Sweet Mint, 4.2 Ounce
Price: $3.81
5 used & new from $3.81

4.0 out of 5 stars A Really Nice Product, But Marketing Is Misleading, July 27, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm always interested in a trying a new and less icky toothpaste. I've tried the famous natural brand and did not like it, so I was excited to try Hello. My feelings about it are mixed.

I love the taste - that much I want to say right off the bat. It's a bit thinner than I'd like though, and it seems like it takes a bit more paste on the brush than it does with the national brands. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, it just means that the cost differential is a bit more than it may at first appear.

It also really like the results. I can't say if my teeth are whiter (they probably aren't) but the mouth feel both on my teeth and on my tongue is excellent.

My real complaint is actually with some of the packaging: they use the word natural in ways that suggest this is an all-natural product when in fact it is not. Let me be clear: I'm not complaining that it ISN'T all-natural, I just don't like products that use slogans like "Naturally Friendly" and name the flavor things like "Natural Sweet Mint" when it isn't all-natural, that's all. This is a very good product, and I quite like using it. They don't need to use misleading marketing techniques to sell it in my opinion.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2016 8:10 AM PDT

Delsey Luggage Helium Sky 2.0 Trolley Duffel Bag
Delsey Luggage Helium Sky 2.0 Trolley Duffel Bag
Price: $89.53
14 used & new from $51.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Total Winner. Well-Built and Packed With Thoughtful and Useful Features, July 24, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It's not common for me to say I love luggage. I love this luggage.

First of all, it's beautifully made. High quality materials throughout, including the all-important zippers. The retractable handle and wheels are also top notch, and I can't find any fault with the construction at all. I particularly like the added rigidity to the ends, making it easy to pack/unpack without it collapsing.

Size is also excellent. There's a positively cavernous main compartment, making this an easy choice for an only bag on a week long trip. It's probably overkill for a weekend, but that's certainly not a complaint.

But it's the thoughtful touches that really set it apart from other bags in its class. Wide tie-down straps on the inside help to keep selected things from moving about, and there are multiple interior pockets, both mesh and non-mesh. Moving to the external features, there are THREE full-length outer front pockets, the innermost of which is quite roomy and includes a mesh divider.

More surprises on the ends: BOTH ends have grab handles, making it easy to pick it up and place on a bed or suitcase rack. I've never seen this before, and I think it shows a real attention to what travelers need as well as a desire to make their lives easier. They've even placed yet another pocket on the end which, when being used with the handle (which retracts into a zip-up compartment to stay out of the way when not needed), is actually on the top of the case. To have that extra pocket providing easy access to a boarding pass or other paperwork that one might want close at hand is a great touch that I really appreciate.

Finally, the name tag: it's on some sort of elastic bit that automatically pulls it back into its own protective pocket, keeping it from getting torn or knocked off regardless of how it's been handled.

Roomy, tough, good-looking and packed with useful and thoughtful features. Luggage doesn't get much better.

Sleep Master Ultima® Comfort 13 Inch Deluxe Euro Box Top Spring Mattress, King
Sleep Master Ultima® Comfort 13 Inch Deluxe Euro Box Top Spring Mattress, King
Price: $323.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! Well-Made, Comfortable, No Back Pain!, July 23, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Let me say this upfront: as a Vine reviewer, I have to turn in a review within a certain amount of time, so I can't really provide a long-term test on this mattress, and it seems to me that most mattresses are pretty nice at first but may degrade over time. That said, I love this thing. A lot.

It arrived in a box that, while quite heavy, still seemed way, way too small for a king size mattress, especially one that's 13 inches thick. The mattress itself came rolled up and compressed, stored in a bag that literally required the mattress be cut free. I started cutting the bands holding the mattress in its compressed state, and with the final cut watched as a full king size mattress popped out like a huge rabbit from a tiny hat. It was really impressive.

The first thing that struck me once it had been freed from its binds was that it appeared to be fully expanded, despite the enclosed information suggesting that it would take 48 hours to fully do so. The second thing was that there was no bad smell; no smell at all, in fact. I was concerned there would be some sort of gassing, but I didn't need to be.

After finagling it onto my platform bed I jumped on and was extremely pleased. It provided fantastic support with a really nice soft built-in topper that made it one of the most comfortable mattresses I've ever been on, and I've been on more than a few. My first night on it lived up to my first impressions, and I got up with far less back pain (a chronic issue for me) than I've had in ages, and that includes a few years on a Tempurpedic.

Follow on nights have continued to provide a fantastic night's sleep, and I'm absolutely satisfied. My 40 pound dog jumps up into bed without disturbing me, and despite the fact that she gets up and resettles throughout the night, I have yet to be disturbed by the movement. I'm not sure that I can ask for more.

The ONLY complaint I have is that I'd like to see some edge reinforcement on this mattress. I tend to sit on the edge of the bed as I get ready, and it gives way too much, almost feeling like I could slide off. Sitting further back onto the mattress solves the issue, but it was still a bit disconcerting at first. I should note however that this did NOT translate into a lack of support at the edge once I was actually in bed. And for that reason it wasn't nearly enough to ding a star.

Overall, I love this mattress. And, particularly at this price, can't see any way I'd shop elsewhere for one in the future. A great product at a great value.

TekBotic WII U Gamepad Charger 7.5ft AC Adapter US Replacement for Wii U Nintendo Gamepad Adapter (for Nintendo Wii-U Controllers)
Offered by TekBotic
Price: $25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Better (for me) Than Nintendo's, July 20, 2016
Actually works better than the Nintendo one, which seemed to shut off now and then, requiring me to unplug it for a few minutes to get it going again. Since I use a charging stand and have the A/C adapter behind a table, that was a royal PITA.

I wouldn't have bought this if I hadn't sucked the cable from the other charger up in my vacuum; I was annoyed about that at first, now I'm happy that I was an idiot.

StarTech.com High Power 17 Watt/3.4 Amp (1A and 2.4A) Dual Port USB Car Charger with 2 Port for Apple and Android Devices (USB2PCARBK)
Price: $15.06
78 used & new from $11.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Buy: Small, Effective, Well-made., July 20, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A very good charger. Fits snugly in both sockets in my car, and both USB jacks are solidly designed to securely hold the USB cables. It's also small enough that it's not obtrusive, as many of these charger seem to be.

The only downside is that there is only one 2.1 amp side; the other is 1 amp. Since there are units that deliver 2.1 amps to each side, I dropped one star from "love it" to "like it." Not a huge problem for me though, as I'm usually driving on my own.

All in all, if you don't need two 2.1 amp outlets, this is a solid buy.

Linksys High Speed DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem, Certified for Comcast/Xfinity, Time Warner, Cox & Charter (CM3008)
Price: $53.99
34 used & new from $50.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye Surfboard, Hello Linky!, July 10, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was having some odd problems with my Motorola/Arris Surfboard 6141. It would occasionally lose connection or reboot itself for no apparent reason, though I suspect it may have been because it was dropping from a bonded to a non-bonded connection. At any rate, it was driving me nuts and I decided to try this Linksys as a replacement. I figured if this had the same problem, it was on Comcast's end - calling and asking got me nowhere... they don't have the best tech support in the world.

So to make a long story short, this solved my problems and I'm ecstatic.
My specific experiences: It's been rock solid since I installed it and has not dropped connection nor rebooted randomly once. This is a great thing and would be enough to make me happy in and of itself. But there are bonus reasons I'm happy as a clam at high tide (see, it's harder to get clams at high tide, so a clam is happier then. If they can be happy. Which they can't. But still, you get the point).

First bonus reason: the size. It's about 25% of the size of the Surfboard. As long as quality isn't compromised, I'll always prefer smaller electronics.

Second bonus reason: the lights aren't as bright as the damn sun, unlike the Surfboard. Seriously, those lights on the 6141 were ridiculously brights, and completely distracting when watching a movie in a dark room. The Linksys lights are easy to read, but don't bathe the entire neighborhood in a weird blue glow.

As for setup, it was a snap and only required calling Comcast and providing the MAC ID - they did the rest, rebooted, and I was golden.

One complaint, and I had this with the SB6141 as well: there is NO explanation of what the lights' colors mean. See, while they do explain that the lights are (from top to bottom) Ethernet, internet status, send, receive, and power, they don't explain why the Ethernet, send and receive can be green or blue, and what that means. Incredible. You have to go to the Linksys site to find out. So I'll tell you now and save you a trip.

The Ethernet light, when green (blinking or solid) indicates a 100 Mbps connection. When it's blue, it indicates a 1000 Mbps connection.

The send and receive lights are critical though. Green indicates a connection, blue indicates BONDED channels. I'm not going to get technical, but here's the thing: You WANT bonded channels for max speed and reliability. That's all you really need to know.

So for me, what I want to see is blue, green, blue, blue, green - and that's what I've seen consistently since I installed this little honey. I couldn't be happier, and recommend this with no reservations assuming it fits your internet provider's requirements.

InterDesign RealWood Toilet Bowl Brush and Holder for Bathroom Storage - White/Light Wood Finish
Price: $26.23
3 used & new from $22.99

4.0 out of 5 stars It's A Toilet Brush (And Still Looks Fine), July 10, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Well, it's a toilet brush. What is there to say? It's well made and looks fine, despite being... a toilet brush.

It's nice to have the entire brush hidden from view, which is unlike many brushes, and the the wood trim is cheap but looks just fine.

Honestly, I haven't seen a nicer one, but then again I don't look at a lot of toilet brushes because they're... toilet brushes.

I dig it... but it's still a toilet brush.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20