Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ryley Walker Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now
Profile for Kevin Nicholls > Reviews

Browse

Kevin Nicholls' Profile

Customer Reviews: 902
Top Reviewer Ranking: 603

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kevin Nicholls "jaded, aging hipster" RSS Feed (Milford, MI)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
HP OfficeJet 200 Mobile Printer, (CZ993A)
HP OfficeJet 200 Mobile Printer, (CZ993A)
Price: Click here to see our price
13 used & new from $237.33

4.0 out of 5 stars I love it for management stuff., August 15, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Every now and then, I find myself wishing I had a personal printer, whenever I have to print an employee review or something to do with payroll and I'm not in a fixed office. I've tried other "mobile" printers before, only to find that they're too big with the AC adapter, leak ink when they're not flat, or are too much of a pain to set up.

The OfficeJet 200 seems to resolve most of those problems. While I wouldn't want to lug this around daily, It fits pretty well in my laptop bag. Initial printing with the built-in reports and test page were nothing special, but when I grabbed a high-res version of the DP Review test page, the detail was really very impressive -- especially for a tri-color cartridge.

On the other hand, the print speed rivaled my HP DeskJet 540 from about 22 years ago. The OfficeJet 200 is by no means a speed demon, but the quality really does a good job making up for it. The only downside in quality was that it dropped a lot of ink on plain paper. Even on plain black text, there's no mistaking that the output came from an inkjet printer.

A few odd things I noticed during setup:

1) There didn't seem to be a way to break out of the setup menu. At some point, it wants to be on a wi-fi network, and when I tried breaking out of that to use Wi-Direct, that didn't seem to be possible. Only after it had joined a wi-fi network, was it willing to let me mess with Wi-Direct settings.

2) At the time of this writing, HP advertises this as having a touch screen. It does not, and if you use a very secure wi-fi password, you're in for some hurt when you set this up.

3) Unlike most printers in the OfficeJet series, there's no integrated web management.

4) Although it is possible to use this over USB, HP does not include a USB cable.

For a large number of management-types, this printer makes a lot of sense to add to your arsenal. Outside of that, though, I don't think the speed and output quality will do much for a sales / biz-dev person, and the cost may be prohibitively expensive for many others. It's definitely something to consider if it solves a longstanding problem you've had, but it's not the printer you're looking for if you want the family to dump a full-size inkjet.

Disney/Pixar Cars Flag Finish Lightning McQueen Toy Car
Disney/Pixar Cars Flag Finish Lightning McQueen Toy Car
Price: $44.99
8 used & new from $34.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Very cool, though it needs a big space., August 13, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Right off the bat, I was surprised by how big Lightning McQueen was. This is probably one of the biggest McQueen toys I've seen.

When removing him from the box I was concerned that the toy was broken, because it seemed floppy in the rear. After putting in the batteries, I realized that he hopped around. Crisis averted.

Of the three modes, the Victory Dance mode is probably the most entertaining, and the most usable in an average-sized room. In the other modes, McQueen drives in very large circles. The radius is quite large, and he can crash reasonably hard, so the modes are fine in a basement (for instance) but probably not most other interior rooms.

The flag control works reasonably well, and doesn't require much in the way of dexterity or motor skills, which is probably perfect for a number of kids who have trouble with one or both.

It's not the sort of toy that's going to have tremendous replay value, but it makes an impressive gift, and is sure to delight any Lightning McQueen fan.

Belkin MFi Certified MIXIT Metallic 6600 mAh Power Rockstar Battery Pack with Dual USB Ports and Cable Storage, 1 x Lightning Cable and 1 x Micro USB Cable (Gold), Great for Pokemon Go
Price: $63.83
3 used & new from $54.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Charges things fast, takes a long time to charge, and costs way too much., August 7, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Belkin MIXIT thankfully comes charged out of the box, which made it easy to test on my kid's first-gen iPad Mini, which was hovering around 2%.

She ended up getting another hour and a half out of it, with 7% charge on the iPad before the MIXIT konked out. Not bad, but not really amazing, either. For a 6600 mAh battery, I was expecting a bit more.

Charging the MIXIT takes forever. Using a Samsung OEM charger from a Galaxy S7 Edge, two hours of charging brought it to 25%. Using a Tenergy Quick Charger produced similar results. Really disappointing there.

I like that it has small cables for MicroUSB and Lightning, but it was also disappointing that you have to choose one or the other for transport in the slot. For as large and heavy as this is, there's really no reason not to have designed it to hold both cables.

While the Belkin is pretty mediocre, the Anker Astro 6700 exists and is something to consider. It costs half as much, has roughly the same capacity, and unless you absolutely need two USB ports, is a much better value.

Liebert 650VA 390W Line-Interactive UPS , Black (PSA650)
Liebert 650VA 390W Line-Interactive UPS , Black (PSA650)
Price: Click here to see our price
32 used & new from $92.14

2.0 out of 5 stars Massive disappointment from the Liebert brand., August 6, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've had a number of UPS units over the past three decades, and as someone involved with data centers, the name Liebert means a lot when it comes to enterprise-grade gear.

That's why I was so shocked to see this offering from Liebert. Out of the box, the cheap plastic construction felt like it was about to split apart. I wasn't expecting too much at only 650VA, and when the power went out in a July storm, I didn't get too much with this attached to nothing more than an average size LED TV and a cable box.

Not that I was expecting to enjoy watching TV for an hour, but the UPS konked out after about five minutes. That seemed awfully short to me.

For not much more money (we're talking about twenty bucks), you can get an APC 1080 at any warehouse club that's made better, has twice the number of outlets, an interactive display, and lasts longer.

Panasonic ES-LT3N-K Arc3 3-Blade Electric Shaver with Built-In Pop-up Trimmer, Active Shave Sensor Technology and Wet Dry Operation

3.0 out of 5 stars Feels almost entry level., August 5, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've used the Panasonic Arc5 series electric razor and thought it was great, except for the massive shaving head. Ultimately, I went back to my Braun 790cc electric razor, preferring the size and feel.

I was really hopeful with this razor, seeing as the head was smaller, and that it had the new Shave Sensor technology. The size and feel here are top-notch. Very comfortable to hold, perfect weight, and the head size is just what I was hoping for. I was pretty darn excited. The only downside to me, was that it didn't have a cleaning base that I was used to. But as a wet / dry razor, rinsing it out seemed almost as good.

Once I started using it, the excitement wore off pretty quickly. I expected it to pull a little bit and not shave as closely for the first few days. That's pretty common whenever you switch brands or models. But after nearly a month, it's still leaving a lot of stubble. My morning shave with this razor feels about as close as if it were 11 p.m. with the Braun or Panasonic Arc5.

It's probably worth mentioning, that my hair doesn't have an unusual growth pattern, and isn't particularly coarse. I can't imagine this working out very well for anyone who has hair like that.

So with that in mind, this is "okay" and probably great for someone upgrading from a cheap electric razor. But if you're looking at this as a higher-end replacement (or upgrade), I think you're much better off with a Braun 7 series or Panasonic Arc5.

Hello Kitty iPad mini Portfolio Case - Retail Packaging - White
Hello Kitty iPad mini Portfolio Case - Retail Packaging - White
Price: $16.25
3 used & new from $11.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent protection. Outstanding value., July 27, 2016
This case is outstanding for younger kids. I just bought a replacement after an unfortunate barf incident on my kid's last Hello Kitty case (made by the same company) and that kept her iPad Mini safe from countless drops on tile and concrete for over two years. I don't doubt that this will buy us another two years.

While not waterproof, the material is water resistant, so you don't have to worry if it's sitting on the table after a cup of water gets knocked over (this has happened at least 20 times) and the padding is substantial enough that it can take a beating without denting the iPad, or ruining the material.

No, it's' not Otterbox protection, but for your typical folio, it's probably one of the best I've seen.

GE H11-55 NHS/BP2 Nighthawk Sport Replacement Bulb, (Pack of 2)
GE H11-55 NHS/BP2 Nighthawk Sport Replacement Bulb, (Pack of 2)
Price: $32.84
5 used & new from $23.64

3.0 out of 5 stars Get 'em when they're on sale!, July 27, 2016
My wife's 2012 Subaru Forester eats a pair of these almost every 6 - 9 months, and when I had them in my old car, I was barely getting a year out of them.

"So why do you keep buying them?" Good question.

1) When they go on sale with a rebate, you can get these for about 1/3 the price of Silverstar Ultras, which don't last much longer.
2) The light output is about as good as the Silverstar Ultras
3) The color of the light is very close to white, not the blue advertised. There's a noticeable improvement in visibility that really makes it hard not to want the Nighthawk Sport bulbs back, when trying a different brand.

You absolutely do not want anything to do with these if you care about longevity, but for visibility, they're pretty great.

Merrell Men's All Out Blaze Sieve Convertible Water Sandal, Light Brown, 13 M US
Offered by Wolverine World Wide
Price: $74.99
10 used & new from $74.99

2.0 out of 5 stars The weirdest fitting sandal I've ever tried., July 27, 2016
I have some older Merrell sandals that I absolutely adore, but they're getting pretty hit.

Apparently, everyone's foot got narrower over the past couple of years, because these are about 25% less wide than the sandals I had before. That was kind of disappointing, but what struck me as even more odd was the limited amount of velcro they give you on the straps.

I normally wear a size 14 shoe, but my older sandals were size 13. With the All Out Blaze sandals, the 13's were too narrow to be comfortable. The 14's were too long, and the straps wouldn't go tight enough on the heel.

I guess I'll keep looking.

Honeywell Compact AirGenius 4 Air Cleaner/Odor Reducer
Honeywell Compact AirGenius 4 Air Cleaner/Odor Reducer
Price: $119.99
4 used & new from $119.80

3.0 out of 5 stars It's certainly compact., July 25, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a larger Honeywell air cleaner, as well as some Vornado AC300 air cleaners, and wanted to get something small for my office.

While this is certainly compact, relative to the "normal" Honeywell stick-type air cleaners, the performance is particularly tiny. Despite what Honeywell suggests, I don't think this is powerful enough to really do much in a 10' x 15' room.

For the sake of testing, I put this in a 12' x 8' room for two weeks, then set it aside. Then, I cleaned one of the Vornado AC300's I had, dropped in a new HEPA filter and pre-filter, and let it go for two weeks. The Honeywell carbon filter looked nearly new, and the Vornado carbon filter looked like it needed to be replaced.

I normally like Honeywell products, but for the extra $20 or so, I'd pay a little more for the Vornado.

Ring Video Doorbell Pro
Ring Video Doorbell Pro
Offered by UL Gadgets LLC
Price: $248.90
36 used & new from $210.61

2.0 out of 5 stars Mostly disappointing., July 25, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It was a box of disappointment for me. "Ultra Slim" is a hilarious description for how massive this thing is, relative to an ornate doorbell button. Roughly speaking, it's about 2/3 the size of a pack of cigarettes. Mounting it on a beveled surface? Forget about it.

Beyond the mounting, the installation was reasonably straightforward, assuming you know which breaker your doorbell is on, and have easy access to the chime box. If you don't, you're in for a painful installation.

Once set up, there was a weird delay between the button and the doorbell, which would lead most people to hammer the button. Ugh.

Access is only possible through a phone app (so, not very useful if I'm working from my home office and want to keep a browser window open to see who's there) and the recording feature is only possible if you pony up for their cloud service.

It's like a Nest Cam that costs more, has lower picture quality, and does less.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2016 7:06 PM EDT