Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Joseph Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Water Sports
Profile for Mary Seale > Reviews

Browse

Mary Seale's Profile

Customer Reviews: 24

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mary Seale RSS Feed (Northern Virginia, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Gardening in Eden: Seasons in a Suburban Garden
Gardening in Eden: Seasons in a Suburban Garden
by Arthur T. Vanderbilt
Price: $15.00
59 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this little gem, April 1, 2007
This little book did what my husband has been trying to do for years-make me appreciate gardening. Mr. Vanderbilt has written a beautiful, funny book on his love of gardening. His writing style is friendly and conversational-you never feel as though he is trying to talk down to you. I can relate to some of his funny stories of animals invading his garden and he has some fun anecdotes about his goldfish and frog pond, which I enjoyed since we have a pond as well. If you are into gardening, or even if you are not-you will enjoy this fun, well written book.

Stella D'oro Lady Stella Assortment, 15 oz
Stella D'oro Lady Stella Assortment, 15 oz

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Cookies, February 15, 2007
I am so glad to find these cookies on Amazon! I can't find them in my grocery store anymore. They were my favorite store-bought cookies when I was growing up. They are wonderful tasting cookies. They taste fresh and some cookies in the assortment have a little "cherry" flavor in them. Some are iced, some have sprinkles and some are chocolate. There are at least 5 different cookies in this assortment-just great tasting!

The Bon Appetit Cookbook
The Bon Appetit Cookbook
by Barbara Fairchild
Price: $27.43
237 used & new from $0.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful cookbook with grerat recipes!, October 20, 2006
Having been a Bon Appetit Magazine subscriber for several years, I had to have the Bon Appetit Cookbook when it came out. It is a beautiful cookbook-the burnt-orange color is striking and the recipes are well laid out and easy to follow. The titles of the recipes are in the burnt-orange color and stand out-better than the Gourmet Cookbook's titles being in a pale yellow. Several of the recipes that I have made from the magazine are included in the book, as well as some I have not seen. The Classic Saganaki with Olives and Lemon is a great appetizer, and the Grilled Chicken with Red Onion and Mint Kebabs with a Greek Salad is a great summer meal. The only thing I would like to have seen in the book was the actual date the recipes appeared in the magazine and maybe source cited at the end of each recipe. The Bon Appetit Cookbook is a great addition to any cook's library! The free subscription to the magazine with the purchase of the cookbook is an added bonus!

My Father, My President: A Personal Account of the Life of George H. W. Bush
My Father, My President: A Personal Account of the Life of George H. W. Bush
by Doro Bush Koch
185 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving tribute to a father, October 16, 2006
Whatever your politics-you will enjoy the story that Doro Bush Kich has written about her father. It is a story written about a father who is truly loved and admired by his daughter. I enjoyed the ancedotes about growing up in a famous family and how the lessons that President George H.W. Bush learned from his wonderful mother stayed with him throughout his life. She always told him to be humble and think of others. From the ancedotes in the book-he took those lessons to heart. There are several examples of his kindness and thoughtfulness sprinkled throughout the book-many are well known stories and some haven't been heard before. There are good times and bad recounted in this book (as in all family stories). Mrs. Bush Koch lists all the people in the back of the book who have been quoted, told her stories and written her letters about her dad-they come from both sides of the aisle. This is a great addition to my library of presidential biographies.

One Writer's Beginnings (The William E. Massey Sr. Lectures in the History of American Civilization)
by Eudora Welty
Price: $11.50
236 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, warm story, May 24, 2006
What a lovely, warm and engaging little book! I have read many of Miss Welty's works, and wanted to know what makes such a talented writer "tick". I loved this book for the insight on growing up in the South, and for the kind way in which she wrote about her family. With so many people out there writing books about how terrible their upbringing was-this was truly refreshing. My house was a lot like hers in a way-every room was one in which books could be read. One of the most memorable lines in the book was "Learning stamps you with its moments". Miss Welty seemed very curious about the world around her and this was encouraged by her parents. This curiousity is what made her a wonderful writer. A lot of her memories of her childhood make appearances in her stories. I highly recommend "One Writer's Beginnings" to anyone who is curious about Miss Welty's work, or anyone who is already a fan and wants to know more about her.

My Very Own Murder
My Very Own Murder
by Josephine Carr
39 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun book with quirky characters, September 22, 2005
This review is from: My Very Own Murder (Paperback)
Ms. Carr has written a very funny, entertaining book with very quirky and likeable characters. The back of the book description said that the main character, Anne, likes to "cuddle up beside the fireplace with a good book in one hand and a perfect martini in the other." This sounded like someone I wanted to read more about, so I bought the book, and I am glad that I did.

The story takes place in Washington, DC-my favorite city. Anne is a divorced lady who hears a voice saying that there will be a murder in her apartment building in thirty days. She befriends a very amiable woman, Mary, who cleans apartments in the building, and together they plan a party to try to find out who the possible murderer is. There are many twists and turns which will keep the reader guessing.

I enjoyed this book because it has everything-humor, suspense and romance. I also love the fact that it is set in Washington, DC and the author uses real locations (restaurants, etc.) throughout the city. You do not need to be familiar with Washington, DC to enjoy "My Very Own Murder". This book will appeal to anyone who wants a fun, entertaining story with unique characters.

I am looking forward to reading "The Dewey Decimal System of Love", also by Ms. Carr. She kept me very entertained on my commute to and from work, and up late at night with "My Very Own Murder." I am anxiously awaiting more from this very talented author.

Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal
Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal
by Eric Schlosser
796 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Those Big Bad Macs!, July 31, 2005
I will preface my review with a disclosure: I am a semi-vegetarian and a animal lover. I read Fast Food Nation when it first came out. It is an enlightening and at the same time a very disturbing book. As a child, my parents never took me to ANY fast food restaurants. I am glad that they didn't because as an adult-I have never had the desire to go either. This book describes the underbelly of the fast food industry: the overworked, underpaid workers who sometimes work in very dangerous conditions, the step-by step process by which animals are lead to their demise, and some overly graphic descriptions of what goes into the processing of the various parts of the animals. After reading the description of what goes into gelatin-no more Jello or gel caps for me! I find myself reading the labels of everything for that dreaded word gelatin as an indgredient. With all that being said, it is a very eye-opening book-I learned a lot, and it reinforced my belief that I want nothing to do with fast food restaurants. I gave the book five stars because of the impact it had on me when I was reading it, and for the information I took away from the book. If you are one of those who is on the fence about becoming a vegetarian; read this book your decision will be made for you.

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (Book 1)
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (Book 1)
by Alexander McCall Smith
Price: $11.95
1625 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming, and fun-you will love Precious!, June 2, 2005
I absoutely loved this book. The Lady Detective (Precious Ramotswe) is one of the most charming, smart and savvy characters to grace the pages of a novel in a long while. The writing is so colorful that you can imagine that you are riding along with Precious in her "little white van" across Botswana or wherever her detective adventures take her. Out of a need for work, Precious opens a detective agency. He clients run the gamet from those who don't have a lot of money to those who live behind gated walls and own several businesses. She takes on all clients-as long as they don't want her to do anything illegal. She solves the cases with determination, grit and yes, a little luck. Precious is a very strong, yet kind and compassionate person. There are so many mean and unkind characters in novels now, it is refreshing to see someone writing a novel with such a nice central character. I have already bought the next three novels in No.1 Ladies series and am looking forward to reading them as well.

The Spinning Man
The Spinning Man
by George Harrar
21 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Though-provoking and intelligent, February 26, 2004
This review is from: The Spinning Man (Paperback)
George Harrar has written an intelligent and thought-provoking thriller/mystery. A college philosophy professor is questioned in the disappearence of a local high school girl. He has the "perfect family" with twin sons and an adoring wife. You think at first-there is no way that he could be involved. As the story progresses you find yourself asking the same questions that his family and the people on his college campus are asking. "Could he be involved?" It is much better written than a lot of the current "pulp fiction" novels that are out there. This book makes you think. The characters are multi-dimensional and very well thought out-always entertaining. George Harrar has written an original and brillant book. It has all the elements of a fantastic story-intelligence, suspense and interesting characters. This is sophisticated writing that is very entertaining as well. It gave me several hours of enjoyment. I am still pondering the story several days later. Mr. Harrar is an author to watch!

The Whole Foods Market Cookbook: A Guide to Natural Foods with 350 Recipes
The Whole Foods Market Cookbook: A Guide to Natural Foods with 350 Recipes
by Steve Petusevsky
Price: $19.19
268 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Just Tofu and Veggie Burgers, October 6, 2002
I know what you are thinking (just as I was)-a natural foods/organic store cookbook can't have tasty recipes. This book will prove the naysayers wrong. It is filled with wonderful, great tasting recipes. I bought this book at my local Whole Foods store after tasting one of the dishes (Mediterranean Tuna Salad )of which samples were being handed out. One taste convinced me that I needed to buy this book. A lot of the same dishes in the book are sold at the Whole Foods Stores. The tuna salad is top-notch, as is the Sonoma Chicken Salad. The Tuscan Vegetable Saute is a good cold weather dish. It can be served by itself over rice or polenta or as a side dish. These are just a few examples of the diverse selection of recipes in this cookbook. There are hints/suggestions from the authors throughtout the book on how to alter the recipes to your taste, as well as descriptions and history of some of the ingredients. Every recipe has the nutritional explanation for dish. This book is a wonderful reference for any cookbook library..

Page: 1 | 2 | 3