Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now
Profile for JE3146 > Reviews

Browse

JE3146's Profile

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

JE3146 RSS Feed

Noctua NH-L12 Low-profile Quiet CPU Cooler with 120/90mm Dual PWM Fan
Noctua NH-L12 Low-profile Quiet CPU Cooler with 120/90mm Dual PWM Fan
Price: $56.94
37 used & new from $44.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Great performance in a small package., March 31, 2012
First off, I will say that I've been hunting for the perfect heatsink for about 6 months. Anyone who owns a Thermaltake Armor A30 Micro-ATX and Mini-ITX Mobile Portable LANparty Gaming Case 230MM Oversized LED Fan Long with Graphic Card Support VM70001W2Z case can attest the clearance provided underneath the power supply is limited in an otherwise well laid out case.

This heatsink fits (in two fan mode) within that clearance, with about 4-5mm to spare. This minimal clearance will require you to have a power supply with a large enough fan on the bottom to provide adequate airflow to the processor fan. This is not optimal if your PSU generates a lot of heat. I would highly recommend a very efficient PSU to accommodate this.

EDIT:: Wanted to add, this requires reversing your PSU fans as well. Even with them pulling opposite direction though, the performance was not bad at all.

System Setup:
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z LGA1155 Z68 ROG
HDD: Adata S511 120GB SSD
Optical: Sony BWU-500S BD Burner

Heatsink Setup:
Mounted in setup #1, left to right, with heatpipes on the left(while facing the front of the case) drawing the heat away from my GPU backplate.
Using provided Noctua Thermal Compound using 5 dot method.
Not using provided low noise cables.

If you want scientific results, there are a dozen reviews up on websites across the net. Battlefield 3 was the reason I got this cooler, so I will share my results running that program.

With Stock Intel Cooler:
~ 35 degrees Idle at peak
~ 85 degrees running Battlefield 3 on High/Ultra settings.

With the Noctua Cooler:
~ 27 degrees Idle at peak
~ 63 degrees running Battlefield 3 on High/Ultra settings.

Ambient noise coming from the case during Idle or Mildly CPU intensive tasks is noticeably greater, but not annoyingly so.

Things to Note:
This was my first Noctua heatsink and I am more impressed than I can even begin to explain. The attention to detail is greatly noticed. The provided thermal compound, as per a few review websites that I have seen, stated this is better than AS5 in most tests. Whether that claim is true or not is not known by me, but I will say it does the job. And they include enough for at least 2 applications. I know this because I screwed up accidentally and got a cotton fiber stuck in the first attempt and had to reapply. The plethora of cables included are all mesh covered with heatshrink. The mounting system is one of the best I've seen. Engineered to be easy to install while incredibly versatile with a number of parts for a broad range of cpu sockets and motherboard types. It even has a contingency setup for motherboards with capacitors protruding from the bottom of the motherboard near the backing plate (such as some ITX motherboards). The packaging is well laid out and protects the product well. The heatsink itself is beautifully crafted and the fans are of high quality. The 6 year warranty alone speaks volumes for their faith in their product.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2014 5:13 PM PDT

Fallout 3: Game of The Year Edition - Playstation 3
Fallout 3: Game of The Year Edition - Playstation 3
Price: $14.50
181 used & new from $6.68

1.0 out of 5 stars Fun game when you can play it..., November 9, 2009
The game works great until the game save file exceeds ~8MB and the cached game file exceeds about 6GB. When that happens you run into constant lockups, temporary freezes, and horrid frame rates whenever an enemy comes near you.

You've seen the reviews. I don't have to tell you how great this game is, but Bethesda should flat out be ashamed for releasing the game in this state. I own both consoles, and much prefer getting things on the PS3 because I trust the hardware more than I do on my 3 time replaced 360, but in hindsight, I should have gotten the game for the 360 instead. If you own both consoles, that one seems to not have a freezing issue, most likely because it isn't relying on a game file cache on the HDD.

I feel like I wasted 60$ on a game I can't even finish because of lockups...

Thank you Bethesda! You've got my money... now what?
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 17, 2014 12:03 AM PDT