Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Back to School
Profile for Clever Name Goes Here > Reviews

Browse

Clever Name Goes...'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 93

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Clever Name Goes Here RSS Feed (Seattle, WA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Steam Link
Steam Link
Offered by lakeplacegames
Price: $52.99
6 used & new from $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great in my case!, February 15, 2016
This review is from: Steam Link (Video Game)
I am coming at this from a slightly different angle than most users. I use Steam everyday, and have plenty of games in my library, but I already have my PC connected directly to my entertainment system for gaming. I wanted to have a PC set up in my woodshop, but was worried about dust ruining a machine if I had it in the work space. I got a Steam Link for the purpose of simply streaming my upstairs desktop, and so far the experience is identical to using my computer directly, minus some physical input options.
In the Steam options menu, you can just close out or minimize Big Picture, and you are back to your desktop just like you were sitting at your computer. Basically, for $50 it is like having a clone of my nice machine, but elsewhere in my house, and that is a fantastic value in my opinion. It appears that Steam Link does not support any aspect ratios other than 16:9 (as far as I can tell), so keep that in mind in case you have a non 16:9 display, as the image will be distorted and/or cut off. Accessory compatibility is a little hit and miss, so if you want a wireless KB/mouse, do some research to make sure they will work. Performance (with the exception of Steam's built in web browser causing crashes-just don't use it) has been flawless. I have everything running on a hardwired gigabit network.

WD TV Live Media Player Wi-fi 1080p (Old Version)
WD TV Live Media Player Wi-fi 1080p (Old Version)
Offered by Great Caesar's Ghost!
Price: $339.99
26 used & new from $47.50

1.0 out of 5 stars If only it worked as advertised..., October 16, 2015
This is the second WD Live box I have had (the first model, with a 1TB HDD built in, died due to drive failure), and it is also the reason I will never buy a device like this again. WD seems to be the only manufacturer that offers a media player that excels at playing your own media files, rather than being a device carefully engineered to discourage you from media ownership and instead guide you to doing 95% of your media consumption through subscription based services. The codec and file container compatibility is great on these, but the UI is embarrassingly slow, the player constantly freezes, fails to accept inputs from the remote (which is the only way to control it), offers zero frills for file playback/organization, and in the waning days of my using it, it would routinely give a "low memory" error, despite having just been turned on and being tasked with nothing other than playing a 640x480 resolution file from a network server through a wired connection. For people wishing to watch locally stored media files, I would say that this type of box is a waste at this point in time. Small, customizable mini PC's can be had for not that much of an additional cost considering the benefits they bring, and even modestly spec'ed models are far more capable than these little media players. Considering that PC's can run KODI, which is incomparably superior to the terrible UI and reliability of these units, I can see little justification for choosing something like this over the other, better options available.

Bench Dog 40-001 ProTop Contractor Benchtop Router Table
Bench Dog 40-001 ProTop Contractor Benchtop Router Table
Price: $299.99
2 used & new from $299.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent router table, May 28, 2015
-I have been using this table for about 2 years-

Although this is an expensive table, you do get what you pay for, and through use likely come to appreciate the features. The build quality is top tier in all respects. The wood parts appear to be high ply count pre-finished Baltic birch, with all parts perfectly machined. The feet work to dampen vibrations, and there is a cord outlet on the back. The mounting system for the plate allows for a very precise level of adjustment, with an array of set screws around the perimeter of insert to make sure it is exactly flush with the table at all points. This is something that is generally not available on simpler table designs, and rather difficult to incorporate on shop made options. The main table top is quality as well, with excellent fit and finish, with a standard 3/4" miter slot running along the front edge. The insert is set up to accept most popular routers; I have used it with Dewalt and Porter Cable models.
The fence is also very nice, with tool free adjustable sliding MDF inserts to close in around the bit, a T slot at the top for accessories, and tool free hold downs for moving it around the table top. The fence also has a built in 2 1/2" dust extraction port, which in my experience is about 85% effective when attached to my dust collection system. Running the table with no dust collection is extremely messy, as shavings will fill the inside of the cabinet as well as be expelled from the collection port about 2' out if the fence is attached. This is probably the only aspect that is a negative when using the table. There is an obvious temptation to use the lower cabinet as storage since there is a lot of space in there, but it will inevitably fill with sawdust and cleaning it out if there are items in it is not ideal; I have just resorted to leaving it empty.

Overall I remain completely satisfied with the choice to get this, though I would concede it is not a necessity item by any means as there are other router setups that will be entirely effective at a lower price point.

DEWALT DW660 Cut-Out 5 Amp 30,000 RPM Rotary Tool with 1/8-Inch and 1/4-Inch Collets
Price: $50.99
115 used & new from $40.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Very worthwhile tool, even for occasional use, April 14, 2015
I have done a fair amount of drywall installation and repairs in the last year while working on my house. I feel that after just a couple jobs this purchase was justified, as it makes the often less than enjoyable job of cutting drywall (particularly during remodel work) much, much easier and faster than hand tools. It does kick up a bit of dust, which can be mitigated somewhat by drawing the tool in one direction versus the other. The build quality is very solid; I have no concerns about that aspect of the tool. I do make sure to blow it out with a compressor after using it, as even though it has a sealed motor, drywall dust is best kept away from moving parts of any kind.
By using a cleat screwed to the wall, it is easy to cut long, very straight lines by yourself, which is also extremely useful.
One last thought; I feel far more comfortable using this during remodels than a jab saw. Cutting into walls not knowing what is behind them, even with the most educated guesses, is serious stuff. Because you can fix the depth to the drywall thickness with this, it virtually eliminates the risk of damaging electrical and data lines, which counts for a lot in my book.

3M 7162 Full-Facepiece Spray Paint Respirator - Organic Vapor
3M 7162 Full-Facepiece Spray Paint Respirator - Organic Vapor
Offered by Tool Deals
Price: $127.37
24 used & new from $118.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it is worth it., February 27, 2015
I use this mainly when working around fine sawdust. Like many woodworkers I started with a half mask, but this is vastly superior in both comfort and protection. The cost is a bit on the high side; this is not a very "exciting" thing to buy, but I do consider my lungs to be worth more than the cost of this mask. The full face shield is miles better than safety glasses, and on the whole this seals and stays in place better than the other options.

3514-SN Pack of 12 3-1/2" Brushed Satin Nickel Door Hinges 1/4" Radius Corners
3514-SN Pack of 12 3-1/2" Brushed Satin Nickel Door Hinges 1/4" Radius Corners

5.0 out of 5 stars Good basic hinges, February 27, 2015
I was skeptical based on the price, as these are about 25% the cost of a similar item at the local store. As far as I can see they are exactly the same in finish and function, so this is a great deal and this is just a case of another over-priced hardware item when bought in stores.

DEWALT DWFP12231 Pneumatic 18-Gauge 2-Inch Brad Nailer Kit
DEWALT DWFP12231 Pneumatic 18-Gauge 2-Inch Brad Nailer Kit
Price: $67.99
16 used & new from $67.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, February 27, 2015
I have had this nailer for about 1 year, and it has worked flawlessly. The built quality/fit & finish are very nice, and all the moving parts feel solid and of high quality. The weight and balance are also good; it is nice to pick up and handle. It is simple to load, simple to access in case of a jam (which I don't recall having any so far), and overall I have nothing bad to say about it. Dewalt tools are a mixed bag these days, but each item should be examined on its own merits rather than under a brand name umbrella, and this one is top notch in my book.

Hyde Tools 09170 Dust-Free Drywall Vacuum Sander
Hyde Tools 09170 Dust-Free Drywall Vacuum Sander
Offered by 502 Distribution
Price: $27.19
20 used & new from $24.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, January 16, 2015
I was skeptical at first, but this thing works amazingly well! I would say it captures all visible dust under the circumstances I have used it, and the sanding head is also far sturdier than the typical ones from the big box stores. I wish I had purchased this a long time ago...

Pair Heavy-Duty 5 in. Swivel Casters with Double-Lock Brake - 600 LB for the Set of Two
Offered by GS Tools
Price: $22.95

5.0 out of 5 stars For the price, these are hard to beat. ..., December 9, 2014
For the price, these are hard to beat. I have 4 sets (16 total wheels) of these installed on various shop tables and tools, and they work very well. Even the least expensive options for 5" casters available at local stores cannot compete with these price wise, and they certainly will not offer double locking at this price point.

Keller Dovetail System 135-1500 Journeyman DoveTail Jig
Keller Dovetail System 135-1500 Journeyman DoveTail Jig
Price: $159.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This really is an excellent jig. As long as you follow the setup ..., November 14, 2014
This really is an excellent jig. As long as you follow the setup and use instructions, which are mercifully straightforward, you should have great results. All of the joints I have cut with this have been perfect fits, with the only errors being caused by my lack of technique with the router.

My one tip - When I started using this, I would have no trouble getting good clean tails, but I would often have tear out on the pins at the edges of the board. I found that by cutting a notch on each end, close to where the depth of the pin cut will terminate, will fix the issue of tear out. I use a band saw for this- in other words, you are making it so that the router bit only cuts a tiny amount from the board on the end pins, rather than the full bulk of the material. This give the router bit far less to chew out and greatly reduces the likelihood that it will rip out chips from the finished stock with it as you cut the end pins. It is a little hard to explain only in words, but if you are using this and having trouble, it will hopefully make sense.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10