Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports
Profile for Anne Rice > Reviews

Browse

Anne Rice's Profile

Customer Reviews: 232

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Anne Rice RSS Feed (Southern California)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Song of the Greys
Song of the Greys
by Nigel Kerner
15 used & new from $39.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic: metaphysical even theological; thought provoking; and beautifully written., July 31, 2016
This review is from: Song of the Greys (Paperback)
For me this is a classic in UFOlogy. Do I know what the author is talking about? No. Have I ever managed to make it through the entire book? No. Do I believe his theories? I have NO IDEA whether he is right or wrong. Do I keep reading the author? YES. I go back to this book again and again. I'm reading him again this Sunday morning, returning to his bizarre and abstract and compelling hypotheses to see if they might be more accessible to me today than they were last year or the year before. Kerner is at the high end of sophistication when it comes to speculation on the overriding purpose of alien invasion or abduction. He is a theologian, a metaphysician, and a poet. And I recommend his fine writing to anyone interested in the field. He has a newer book out: "Grey Aliens and the Conspiracy to Genetic ally Tamper with Humanity," 2010 that some might find very interesting too. I want to look at that one again today, also. But this earlier book is for me a classic, as I've said, and I recommend it for anyone curious about aliens, alien abduction, etc.

Magicians of the Gods: The Forgotten Wisdom of Earth's Lost Civilization
Magicians of the Gods: The Forgotten Wisdom of Earth's Lost Civilization
by Graham Hancock
Price: $21.62
91 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Hancock is our poet-reporter on the front lines of the latest research into lost worlds., July 31, 2016
Another beautifully written and unique Graham Hancock exploration of unresolved mysteries as to truly ancient civilizations yet unknown and unexplored. Nobody beats Hancock on this topic. He's an archaeological explorer, an intuitive quester. For me, he is the top poet reporter from the front lines of the latest research on lost worlds. Recommending, along with all Hancock's many fascinating books.

Walking Among Us: The Alien Plan to Control Humanity
Walking Among Us: The Alien Plan to Control Humanity
by David M. Jacobs PhD
Price: $16.83
54 used & new from $12.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written, well organized, up to date presentation on the topic., July 31, 2016
For those interested in theories of ETs living on this planet, and creating a society of human-ET hybrids, this is a well organized, and well written and informative read. --- If you are curious, but you've never entertained such ideas before, and haven't read "alien abduction" literature, this may be a good place to start. On the other hand, if you have read a lot of this material and you are confused by the amount and variety of theories, this book offers a summation that might be helpful. ----- You may never come to agree with Jacobs that there are in fact aliens from outer space walking among us, but this book will certainly give you a good view of what some of the speculation is all about. (Please note: II'm not saying I believe Jacobs' theories. or the theories of anyone writing on this topic. What I'm saying is, as some one who reads a lot on this, this is a good book.) Recommending. Also recommending William Bramley's The Gods of Eden.

The Cryptoterrestrials: A Meditation on Indigenous Humanoids and the Aliens Among Us
by Mike Clelland
Price: $12.00
41 used & new from $10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, rich in bibliographical references, and thought provoking., July 31, 2016
This reads like a long introduction to a revelation which never actually comes. But I recommend it. It is beautifully written, elegant and does go over all the relevant material we have on abductees and theories of alien intrusion on the planet. And it does make the case that there is nothing in the evidence to rule out the possibility that "the aliens" are in fact indigenous to this planet. The essay is also rich in bibliographical references that might be of immense help to those readers knew to this field. What is NOT here is an interesting or well developed theory as to just who cryptoterrestrials might actually be, and what they want. Other books will have to take the speculation further. Again, I recommend this. I also recommend "The Gods of Eden" by William Bramley.

Jesus: Neither God Nor Man - The Case for a Mythical Jesus
Jesus: Neither God Nor Man - The Case for a Mythical Jesus
Price: $14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, and very readable. I sense brilliance and insight. just beginning my study of this book., June 28, 2016
Having read a lot of "The Jesus Puzzle," I'm into this book, taking it slowly. Just want to say I find it very compelling! It's well written, and I'm not finding any errors. I'm an amateur, I admit that up front, not a professional biblical scholar, but I have done my time loving and reading the bible, and studying many of the major scholars, both skeptic and believer. And for what it's worth, I think this is a fascinating and well argued and compelling read. i'm learning from it, learning a lot. If I eventually come to the conclusion that this book is not worth a recommendation, I'll come back and take this review down or edit it. But for now I'd say this book is very intriguing, very rich, and I see brilliance here, brilliance and insight. --- After having dismissed the idea of a mythical Christ for years, I'm now finding this infinitely more convincing than I ever imagined it could be.

The Jesus Puzzle: Did Christianity Begin with a Mythical Christ? Challenging the Existence of an Historical Jesus
by Earl Doherty
Price: $19.95
33 used & new from $0.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, highly readable. Wonderful comprehensive treatment., June 25, 2016
This is an excellent book. I've read almost all of it, and feel quite secure recommending it. I'm a little suspicious of some of the dismissal of this book as having inaccuracies. I'm not finding any inaccuracies. The writing is clear, compelling, easy to follow, and the text is rich is material. Just a very fine examination of the whole question as to who Jesus was. Quite an achievement, this, to present so much complex material so efficiently.

The Golden Thread: The Ageless Wisdom of the Western Mystery Traditions
The Golden Thread: The Ageless Wisdom of the Western Mystery Traditions
by Joscelyn Godwin
Price: $16.95
54 used & new from $9.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, eloquent accessible history of ideas., June 17, 2016
I've haven't finished the book yet but got my money's worth in the first hour of reading. This is beautifully written, very accessible and deliciously illuminating. It is the kind of history of ideas that I find especially valuable in trying to see the big picture. And my mind is always longing to see the big picture. Highly recommended. --- It's a treasure.

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold: A George Smiley Novel (George Smiley Novels)
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold: A George Smiley Novel (George Smiley Novels)
by John le Carré
Price: $10.50
89 used & new from $3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Grim Literary Masterpiece., October 7, 2015
Dark painful literary masterpiece. I frankly found the experience of reading this like being in a nightmare. But it was exquisitely done, a grim, elaborate, grudgingly moral and profoundly pessimistic piece of fiction designed to make the reader suffer. It is in its own way powerfully romantic, in that it renders the world in such extreme joyless and dismal terms, and ends with such bold strokes of cruelty. There is nothing of pedestrian realism in it. In this regard it made me think of "Last Exit to Brooklyn" by Hubert Selby. Both novels seem merciless and despairing indictments of a world that has convinced itself it is morally bankrupt. . I'm glad I read it, but would not want ever to be in it again. As I'm 74, I do remember the world of the 1960's and I can understand why this novel is considered "emblematic" of the times. There was a deep exhaustion still hanging over the West then, due to the two great wars, due to the Cold War, and it seems our collective culture needed time to regain unapologetic faith in itself and in its capacity for joy. But this novel makes a metaphysical statement about life that is bigger than its story or its time, or its particular circumstances. I admire Le Carre very much. I recommend this as I do Selby's novel, and Remarque's novel, "All Quiet on the Western Front" about an earlier time. Such dark gems.

A Death in Vienna (Silva, Daniel)
A Death in Vienna (Silva, Daniel)
by Daniel Silva
96 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and meaningful story that transcends the genre, while still being a thrilling page turner., October 2, 2015
This is the sixth Gabriel Allon novel that I've read. I read two recents ones and was so impressed that I went back to the beginning and I'm now reading Allon's adventures in order. Well, I didn't think Silva could top "The Confessor," but "A Death in Vienna" does indeed top it. This novel takes on an immense theme --- the horrors of the Holocaust, and the immense debt owed to ALL its victim by ALL of us --- if we are ever to recover from the inhumanity and cruelty of the Second World War, and move on to a world in which such ghastly horrors can never again happen. And the author treats this immense theme with dignity, feeling, restraint, and wisdom. The book is beautifully written. Yes, it's "a spy novel" and there are inevitable touches of the romance and artificiality inevitable in good page turning spy stories....and this is indeed a page turner!....but this book is infinitely more. It way transcends the limitations of a genre. I recommend it heartily to anyone who enjoys fine writing, a thrilling plot, and who craves a deep vitally important theme as well as terrific storytelling. I love Silva's characters, particularly Ari Shamron, and Gabriel Allon, the enigmatic and every human hero. I love his vocabulary, his phrasing, his use of adverbs, his subtle way of revealing the thoughts and feelings of his people. I love the way he describes the cities and towns and rooms through which his people move. But I think I love more than anything else the unfolding tale of these Israeli spies and the great historical and religious legacy that informs their particular struggle. Just a great book. Loved it.

The Confessor (Gabriel Allon)
The Confessor (Gabriel Allon)
by Daniel Silva
Price: $6.58
204 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER SUPERB THRILLER FROM A MASTER, September 30, 2015
Enthralling throughout. This is perhaps the finest of the Silva novels I've read so far, and I am going right into another. Loved the richness of his vocabulary, the stylistic flourishes, the finely drawn characters, and the remarkable chase and action scenes. Suspenseful to the last page. Superbly crafted throughout. This is one fine writer on every level. --- His plots are complex and filled with marvelous surprises, and his style is always enjoyable in itself. I love being with his heroes. I love being in his world. I love the great international scope of his novels, and the strong moral overview at the core.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20