Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now
Profile for D. Gill > Reviews

Browse

D. Gill's Profile

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Gill "gillda" RSS Feed (San Gabriel, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Their Eyes Were Watching God CD
Their Eyes Were Watching God CD
by Zora Neale Hurston
Edition: Audio CD
Price: $25.28
63 used & new from $9.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, poetic novel read by the amazing Ruby Dee; a perfect combination., December 13, 2014
The language of this novel is just stunning; it's one of my absolute favorite classic American novels. (Gatsby, Huck Finn, The COlor Purple and this one.) Because the language is poetic and so much of it is in dialect, hearing the incomparable Ruby Dee read it just adds to the beauty and wonder of the story.

The Dirty Gardener Professional Elite Pruning Shears
The Dirty Gardener Professional Elite Pruning Shears
Offered by The Dirty Gardener
Price: $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars sheers, August 19, 2014
They work very well and I like the lock on them.

Wholesale Lot of 12pcs Secret Message Invisible Ink Pen with Black Light (12)
Wholesale Lot of 12pcs Secret Message Invisible Ink Pen with Black Light (12)
Offered by Bees Y Beauty
Price: $5.72
5 used & new from $5.72

4.0 out of 5 stars good value, April 18, 2014
It was quite inexpensive and perfect for the party favor bags at a Nancy Drew/detective birthday. I don't know how long they last, but they all worked when we opened them up, and I don't expect most party favor toys to last long anyway.

City Threads Big Girls' Solid Short Sleeve Tshirt Cotton, Black, 10
City Threads Big Girls' Solid Short Sleeve Tshirt Cotton, Black, 10
Offered by Jolity

4.0 out of 5 stars soft, March 1, 2014
We needed a black shirt for a school performance, and this worked well. My daughter is picky about how things feel, but she approved of this.

Springboard Shakespeare: Macbeth
Springboard Shakespeare: Macbeth
by Ben Crystal
Price: $10.95
49 used & new from $3.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and accessible, October 25, 2013
I've been teaching Shakespearean works to high school students for 14 years. When I was assigned AP Lit for this school year, I started searching for helpful resources for Shakespeare's Language as well as for Macbeth and Hamlet. I'd seen some youtube videos about the language done by Ben Crystal and his dad, I immediately ordered their book on the language, and I really like having it as a resource for the advanced students. Since we were reading Macbeth first in class, I ordered this, figuring if it was helpful I would also buy Springboard Shakespeare for Hamlet.

Now that I've read it and am half-way through the unit on Macbeth with my students, I can say that this is the best resource I've seen for teaching Shakespeare to high schoolers, particularly the older kids. (I've seen A LOT of resources through the years.) The "Before" section is great for giving a background about Shakespeare, the theater, and the play in general, and then the "During" is helping direct my study guides and points for the kids. I think his background as an actor makes the academic study of the language all the more accessible and helpful. Needless to say, I've already ordered the Hamlet one.

This would be great for an adult who is heading to a production or a film adaptation and is worried that the language might make it confusing. You could just read parts (he tells you what to read if you are short on time and on your way to the theater) or you could read the whole book -- it's a quick read. No long academic essays, just brief helpful notes about relevant information.

Little Night
Little Night
by Yuyi Morales
43 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A gorgeous, sweet story, January 25, 2009
This review is from: Little Night (Hardcover)
A lovely story about a special little girl and her mommy, with gorgeous, peaceful illustrations. A perfect bedtime story.

My Heartbeat
My Heartbeat
by Garret Freymann-Weyr
79 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars "A mind with its own heartbeat!", April 15, 2004
This review is from: My Heartbeat (Hardcover)
"A mind with its own heartbeat!" This is one of the best aspects of geekiness according to the father of My Heartbeat's narrator--Ellen, an honest, perceptive, urban teen.
I have found few books that show the struggles of sexuality and young love in a realistic, complex way. This one does. ("And now James and I navigate around each other's bodies, trying to establish boundaries even as we erase them.") It also blurs the lines of what exactly it means to be straight or gay and examines how we figure out who we are and who we love.
Another refreshing aspect of this story is that, despite confusion and heartache and love, the melodrama is kept in check. It's not overly tragic, nor is it all perfectly sweet in the end--it's more complicated than that, just like life. Ellen is a likeable narrator who never becomes annoying or whining, and both James and Link are dynamic and believeable.
I should mention that, depending on perspective, some people may find the frankness about sexuality shocking in such a young person (Ellen is a 9th grader) while others will think it is realistic. I don't mean to imply any raunchiness--the narration is never obscene or explicit in any way--but some of the teen characters are sexually active.
Overall, a sweet, honest YA novel that many teens and adults--straight, gay, or anything in between--will enjoy.

Live at the Harlem Square Club 1963
Live at the Harlem Square Club 1963
41 used & new from $2.09

5.0 out of 5 stars When music is an art . . ., April 15, 2002
I'm not a musician, I'm not a music critic, but, for me, when an artist manages to convey some essential human quality in a way that could not be expressed with mere words, great art emerges. When I hear Sam Cooke, the world is transformed, great art reveals its power.
I am too young to have ever heard him truly live, so this album is compensation. It is gorgeous, haunting, joyful, aching. To be human is to be moved by Sam Cooke's voice. I warn you, however, that it may become rather addictive; listening to this album can send your soul to levels typically only reached in excastacies exclusive to the best of lovers or spiritual nirvanas. THIS just may be the New Jerusalem.
After listening to this, try to find a copy of The Man and His Music. No longer in print, it's an amazing collection worth hunting down.

Of Mice and Men (Classics on Cassette)
Of Mice and Men (Classics on Cassette)
by John Steinbeck
Edition: Audio Cassette
35 used & new from $0.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Gary Sinise does a great job., November 21, 2001
Steinbeck created two of the most memorable characters in American literature with the book; Sinise brings them to life with his wonderful narration. I believe only a paragrah or two was omitted from the book in this recording, so you get the complete story. I have played parts of this tape for my high school students; it captures their attention instantly. From my honors students to my students who can barely read, this book is always a favorite, and they all enjoy the power of Sinise's narration.

Friday Night Lights: A Town, A Team, And A Dream
Friday Night Lights: A Town, A Team, And A Dream
by Buzz Bissinger
388 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, and not just for football fans., November 21, 2001
I'm sure I am not the first to say this, but Friday Night Lights succeeds on many levels for the same reason the documentary Hoop Dreams succeeds. Both are about athletes, but both ultimately examine much larger issues. Bissinger does what great writers do; he takes a particular place, and particular people, and paints a picture so vivid that, once the image becomes clear, we realize how universal the truths in it are. Yes, this is a book about football and what it means to towns in West Texas. Yes, it's a book about the impacts of economic booms and busts. It's also about race relations, adolescence, socioeconomics, the price of winning, education. It is about disillusionment, hope, the need for escapism, family dynamics, and the impacts of "stardom" on teenagers. What more could you want?

Page: 1 | 2