Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Joseph Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now
Profile for Jose Sanchez > Reviews

Browse

Jose Sanchez's Profile

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jose Sanchez RSS Feed (Miami, FL)

Page: 1 | 2
Shimano SL-RS45-R RevoShift 8-Speed Right Twist Shifter, Silver
Shimano SL-RS45-R RevoShift 8-Speed Right Twist Shifter, Silver
Price: $12.39
2 used & new from $12.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Will get the job done, April 26, 2016
I purchased this to replace a SRAM grip shifter that came on my now 8 year old hybrid bike. Shimano has a very good reputation with their bike parts, even those on the lower end of the spectrum, and I agree that this reputation is basically deserved. The shifter came with the cable pre-attached and was therefore very easy to install on my bike. After the installation I noticed that each ’click’ was very positive and precise, more so than my old SRAM shifter. I do have concerns about the methodology for replacing the shift cable. To do this I would have to remove two very small(eyeglass type small) and easy to lose screws. In a real world scenario I would probably have to take the shifter completely off the bike and into a more controlled workspace to replace the cable without risking the loss of those screws. Since replacing a shift cable is something that I might do every 2 years or so, it’s a hassle, but not so much a hassle that I would consider it a deal killer. The other issue that I want to call attention to is the fact that the transparent housing on the shifter itself does not appear to be very durable and it seems to me that it could easily be damaged in the event of a crash. This last point is my perception, and not based on facts or experience. I will update this review as necessary. 4 stars.

Sunlite Standard Schrader Valve Tubes, 700 x 35 - 40 (27 x 1.375") / 32mm Valve, Black
Offered by excelcycle
Price: $5.11
19 used & new from $0.10

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad luck most likely, but it happens...., March 3, 2016
This is probably just bad luck, but my tube had a slow leak. I was unable to find a hole to patch, so I resolved the problem successfully by removing the valve core and putting some 'slime' that I had on hand into the tube. That sealed the leak and it's worked fine since. I've purchased Sunlite tubes in the past and believe this to be a fluke, but hey, I'm being honest about what I received.

Lansky Dual Grit Sharpener
Lansky Dual Grit Sharpener
Offered by Amazing Prime Value
Price: $5.85
117 used & new from $4.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for sharpening workhorse type chopping or cutting tools., January 4, 2016
I got this primarily for sharpening 'rough use' tools like axes and machetes. I find this stone to be extremely well suited for this task. The coarse side lets you get the edge started fairly quickly while the medium side gives you a 'toothy' sort of final edge that is perfect for heavy duty cutting or chopping tools. If you prefer a hair splitting razor edge, you will need some finer grit stones to compliment this. I think of this stone as being ideal to throw into a backpack for a camping or hiking trip, or to keep in your tool shed for the occasional sharpening of your machete, axe, lawnmower blades and other similar workhorse tools.

Husqvarna Carpenter's Axe
Husqvarna Carpenter's Axe
Offered by CPO Outlets
Price: $54.65
8 used & new from $48.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent chopper; could use a thicker and more comfortable handle., January 1, 2016
This review is from: Husqvarna Carpenter's Axe
This axe comes field sharp out of the box, and unlike others I find the fit and finish to be 'ok'. Both the factory edge and the finish can of course be improved on with some work. The steel is of good quality, and you will likely notice this as you sharpen it for the first time as it can take a decent of amount of work to grind the edge from field sharp to razor sharp. This means the steel is quite hard, which is good because a harder steel will hold an edge for longer.

The main drawback of this axe for me is definitely the handle, which I think is just too thin, especially at the bottom where you would hold it with your weak hand. What this means is that when chopping larger trees/logs/branches the vibration and shock can hurt your hand. I actually had to reduce the power of my strokes to prevent the pain from getting too severe when cutting down the bigger stuff. On smaller branches or limbs it's fine, however.

Another (more minor) drawback for me is that I find the bevel in the head to be slightly too thick, if that makes sense. That means it's not as good at chopping as some other axes, and of course this also increase the weight. Since you can reprofile and adjust this to your liking with a file or belt sander I don't consider this to be a big negative.

I realize this axe is marketed and sold as a carpenter's axe, but I purchased it mainly for chopping and trimming trees on my property, as you might be able to tell from the tone of my review. It does a fine job of tackling these types of jobs, but I just wish the handle was a little thicker which would make it more comfortable to use. I would rate this axe at 3.5 stars if I could, but since Amazon does not allow for this I will give it the benefit of the doubt with 4 stars since it's marketed as a carpenter's axe and not a 'chopper'.

OnePlus 2 Case - TUDIA Ultra Tough OMNIX [Heavy Duty] Hybrid Full-body Protective Case with Front Cover and Built-in Screen Protector / Impact Resistant Bumpers Cover for OnePlus Two (Metallic Slate)
Offered by W2 Corporation
Price: $19.90
4 used & new from $5.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Gets the job done, November 6, 2015
If you are familiar with Otterbox cases, I would say that this case offers about the same level of protection as an Otterbox Defender for a lower retail price. It's not perfect however; the kickstand mechanism is made out of a thin plastic that feels like it can easily break, and the screen shield I found feels a little 'sticky' (more friction) when compared to a regular glass protector or even a nice quality plastic one. Still, as far as protection from falls or impacts, I think this case would be hard to beat.

USB Type C Car Charger,Tronsmart 33W Dual USB Car Charger with Quick Charge 3.0 Technology.Attached USB C Cord for Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X, LG G5, Pixel C (Benson Leung Approved)
Offered by Churuntek
Price: $17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good car charger for USB C devices, November 6, 2015
Great car charger. The built in cable is convenient for USB Type C devices such as the OnePlus 2 and Nexus 6p. Speaking of the Nexus 6p, this is one of the few car chargers that will charge it nearly as quickly as it's native wall charger. See the following link for testing, http://www.droid-life.com/2015/10/19/nexus-6p-nexus-5x-quick-charge/

It comes with a permanently attached USB Type C cable, and an extra (detachable) micro USB cable. Both cables are a thick gauge and good quality. I also recommend a velcro zip tie for cable management when the device is not in use (not included). You'll be happy with this charger if you have a device with a USB Type C charging port.

SCHWALBE Marathon Mondial Race Guard Tire with Wire Bead, 700 x 35cm/580gm
SCHWALBE Marathon Mondial Race Guard Tire with Wire Bead, 700 x 35cm/580gm
Price: Click here to see our price
16 used & new from $31.08

4.0 out of 5 stars Good puncture protection and grip on wet/dry, but weight is t, January 24, 2015
A supple casing typically has less rolling resistance and it absorbs bumps and road imperfections better, making it more comfortable. However, often the price to pay for a supple tire is less puncture resistance. Likewise for the best traction on paved roads, you will want 'slick' or subtle treading. This allows you to maximize the surface area in contact with the road. For unpaved roads, you want 'knobs' that will 'dig' into the surface.

Basically there is no one tire that is best for all surfaces and conditions. Every tire therefor is a compromise in some way or another. The Schwalbe Marathon Mondial tries to strike the perfect balance between puncture protection, traction on paved and unpaved roads in wet or dry conditions, while maintaining a reasonable ride quality. For the most part it succeeds, but not without compromises.

I mounted the tire on the rear of my light touring bike, which I use for commuting on paved and unpaved roads, carrying groceries and supplies, and even for some long-ish fitness rides. The tire was able to handle everything that I threw at it pretty well, the main downside being that it does feel a little heavy and sluggish. If you are willing to trade off some speed for puncture protection and traction on unpaved surfaces, this is your tire. If you ride mostly on paved roads, you might be better served by a lighter and more supple tire. Good for touring, and commuting on mixed terrain.

KMC Z-72 7-8sp chain (Gray/Brown)
KMC Z-72 7-8sp chain (Gray/Brown)
Price: $9.78
37 used & new from $6.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid product. Master link is great., December 22, 2014
I installed this on my 8-speed 'grocery / utility' bike along with a new cassette and the shifting instantly felt like new again. It was slightly long for my bike as it arrived, so I ended up removing a few links with a standard chain tool. Actually putting it on the bike was incredibly easy thanks to the included 'master link'. Great price, solid performance, and easy installation.

Continental Sport Contact Reflex Urban Bicycle Tire (700x37)
Continental Sport Contact Reflex Urban Bicycle Tire (700x37)
Price: $36.48
3 used & new from $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I 'abused' this tire, and it didn't quit on me., December 17, 2014
The description lists this as a tire that will add speed to any bike, but I put this tire on the rear of a loaded touring bike (close to 300lbs total weight; rider + gear + bike) for a year and rode on wet and dry roads, through dirt and even some gravel, and the tire held up. The casing is supple and comfortable, and the tire is much easier for me to install than typical touring tires, or tires with flat protection built in. This makes it comfortable, fairly lightweight and fast, but the flat protection is below tires like the Marathon Plus, Continental Gatorskin, Specialized Armadillos, and others.

Still, it's not exactly 'prone' to flats. I experienced roughly 2 flats a year; granted mostly on decently paved roads, and no pinch flats even with the bike fully loaded or when the tire was a bit under-inflated. The rubber compound is soft and grippy, which is great for traction on roads even in wet weather, but it does tend to attract glass and other small debris. In my experience it's pretty rare for debris to get through the rubber deep enough to puncture the tube (I check and clean off the debris about once a week on average). One time I got a flat and found myself without a pump, but I was able to fill the 700c x 32 variant with a single 12g C02 cartridge. Yes, it felt a bit under-inflated, but it got me home without issue.

This is how I would rate the various characteristics of the tire:
Traction on roads: Great. Soft rubber. Very grippy even on wet pavement.
Traction off-road: Below average. No threading means the tire has nothing to bite into.
Speed: It's not a skinny race tire, but otherwise it's about as fast as you will find, certainly for the price.
Puncture protection: Slightly above average. Better than a race tire for sure, but not as good as a 'puncture resistant' tire.
Comfort: Good. The casing is supple, which makes the tire absorb road vibration pretty well. It's more comfortable than most tires, especially if you buy it in the wider sizes.
Installation: Easy. It's not a race tire, but the tire is supple enough that I had no trouble sliding the bead over the rim.
Durability: Average to below average. Granted I put a lot more weight on the tire than was probably intended, but still the soft rubber is going to wear on you if you put in serious miles.
Recommended for: Commuting; Riding for fitness or pleasure on paved surfaces, wet or dry. People willing to trade some flat protection for speed and comfort.
Not recommended for: Off-road riding, expedition touring.
Value: Yes, I think it's a good value.
Would I buy again: Yes, but next time in the 700x37 variant. I want even more comfort and traction. In general I think most people are better off with wider tires, but that's another discussion.

Serfas TCPG Bicycle Floor Pump
Serfas TCPG Bicycle Floor Pump
Price: $31.41
69 used & new from $28.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A real workhorse. It will get the job done for you., December 17, 2014
Originally when I got into bike commuting to work on my fitness and as a way of combating high gas prices, I used a portable air compressor to fill my tires because, well, I was pressed for cash and it was the only thing I had. It was cumbersome, noisy, imprecise, and only worked for Shrader valves. Taking the advice from the community at bikeforums.net, I searched Amazon for a floor pump and picked this up based on the ratings. Since then it's been a workhorse for me and been used on mountain bike tires, road tires, touring tires, car tires, lawn mower ties, soccer balls, and everything else you can think of. It has never once failed to achieve a seal on any valve that I've tried it on, and it takes less than a minute for me to inflate even higher volume bike tires.

Still it's not perfect; the pressure gauge would be easier to read while pumping if it was a little higher up, and likewise if the rubber hose was covered with braided nylon it would be more resistant to accidental nicks. I love the aluminum body, but am not so thrilled with the plastic base. All in all, despite these imperfections(or design flaws if you prefer), it has stood the test of time (roughly 5 years now) and still works exactly as it did when new with zero maintenance or 'babying' on my part. 5 stars.

Page: 1 | 2