Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now
Profile for Goldstein > Reviews

Browse

Goldstein's Profile

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Goldstein "When Penguins Fly" RSS Feed

The Upside of Irrationality: The Unexpected Benefits of Defying Logic at Work and at Home
by Dan Ariely
145 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Seinfeld Science, October 7, 2010
Que Seinfeld music as two scientists with time to kill enter a restaurant. One asks, "What if our waitress makes a mistake on our bill and undercharges us?" This conversation goes on and on, yada yada yada. I could almost hear the laugh track. (Page 144.) All comedy is a recycle of old ideas. So is this book, I'm afraid. In Book 1 of Plato's "The Republic", Socrates notes that those who make their own poems (as wells as their own money) are more attached to their own poems, not others. Do we really need a new chart on this? Also, the book dances all around the Genovese Effect but never mentions it as if he were talking about something entirely new. I know Ariely means well with these experiments, but his view of the world seems too innocent. Most bank's motivation is not to HELP us little people. Also, the Ad world is not here to HELP us either. They want to create more attachment to their product for PROFIT. Ariely is, in effect, helping them avoid pitfalls and giving them more ammunition for manipulation of our "irrationality." Hence the "upside" of irrationality (the title which really makes sense -- for the manipulators, not us little people).

John Chrysostom and the Jews : Rhetoric and Reality in the Late 4th Century
John Chrysostom and the Jews : Rhetoric and Reality in the Late 4th Century
by Robert Louis Wilken
Price: $20.80
36 used & new from $12.90

5.0 out of 5 stars 4th Century Comes Alive, January 7, 2010
On page 30, Chrysostom wrote: "If you ask [Christians] who is Amos or Obadiah, how many apostles there were or prophets, they stand mute; but if you ask them about the horses or drivers, they answer with more solemnity than sophists or rhetors."
This reminded me of "Jay Walking" on Jay Leno's Tonight Show. Times haven't changed much.

The life in 4th Century is portrayed vividly with numerous letters and writings from the historians of that period, which provide ample evidence that history is not so clear cut, especially the "victory" claimed when Constantine came to power. This book surprised me with compact information about Antioch in which Chrysostom preached. As the author brilliantly persuades, Chrysostom must be read in context of the times, not through the modern lens of hate.

Jesus, Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible (And Why We Don't Know About Them)
by Bart D. Ehrman
105 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Ehrman, Interrupted: Why We Coddle "Person One", August 19, 2009
Suppose I titled my book, "Why earth is round." You would expect me to present some evidence. But if I answered, "I never found out," and "Your guess is as good as mine," the customers would have the right to be angry.

Hence my one star rating. This book implied an answer to all the hidden contradictions in the Bible with the title, "Why we don't know about them." And "I never found out (page 14)" and "Your guess is as good as mine (page 137)" come straight from his book. On page 272, there's a lot of speculation by offering "perhaps" this and "possibly" this, but no conclusions.

There's a cartoon in which Person One says, "I believe the universe was created when the turtles battled the sea gods." Person Two retorts, "I have proof that did not happen." Person one responds, "But it's my religion." Person Two then says, "Then I respect it."

I believe Person Two would be Ehrman. The clue is on page 278 where he's writing this book on a friend's beach who has a stronger faith, as Ehrman concludes, "Yes, Faith is not a matter of smarts." He has built up so much evidence for man's meddling in the Bible, but he will back off and say he respects those with religious faith. I think Ehrman can't answer the question of why in this book because he's doing it himself, unintentionally: coddling. If you don't, you lose friends, some with beach houses.

There were some who responded that Ehrman may have not titled the book himself. I would disagree. Most authors who had no control over their book title would tell us that. Silence is consent here. So I'm going to conclude that Ehrman had misrepresented his book. By error? To sell more books? I never found out. Your guess is as good as mine.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2014 11:28 PM PST

The Pattern of The Double-Bind in Mormonism
The Pattern of The Double-Bind in Mormonism
by Marion Stricker
Price: $19.95
34 used & new from $12.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Embodiment of Courage, December 5, 2008
I wouldn't be able to praise this book enough, but here it goes. Her book towers above any scholar's work about the truth because of her courage. Szasz wrote that looking at the truth takes courage. Nice words, but with this book, you can see it in action! Truly an amazing person. Anyone can look at the truth, provided you have courage to fearlessly ask questions and "reason without fear."
Books like this are dangerous because they they are too dangerously close to telling the truth about big religion. Every free thinker should read this book.

Decoding Advertisements (Ideas in Progress)
Decoding Advertisements (Ideas in Progress)
by Judith Williamson
Price: $13.86
89 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars How we become products, November 13, 2008
I agree with the other reviewers here. This book must be read by everyone. Merging a product with something that has meaning, and how it's done -- until the soul-entity becomes the product -- are simply amazing and eye-opening. The author writes that an advertiser's goal is to hollow out the meaning of something and replace it with a man made product. I was reminded of when Winston was told by Big Brother, "We shall make you empty and fill you with ourselves." Very chilling. I can't recommend this book high enough.

Political Ponerology (A Science on the Nature of Evil Adjusted for Political Purposes)
by Andrew M. Lobaczewski
Price: $29.72
51 used & new from $19.92

2.0 out of 5 stars Naive Psychology, September 1, 2008
As George Carlin once said, "Power never investigates itself." The author gets around this by saying, we should do this, and we should do that... Come on, will psycopaths willingly lay down on the couch and take therapy? Author makes a lot of "We should" or "society should" but wishful thinking won't make it happen. There was a lot of good information here but a frustrating book because of the naivete.
For the best book in "evil," read the last chapter of Demons by Dostoevsky. Psychotics are beautifully summarized in the last chapter. When the Monk reveals the truth to Stavrogin, what is the evil's response? Curse the truth.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 12, 2010 8:17 PM PDT

The Mote in God's Eye
The Mote in God's Eye
by Larry Niven
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $8.99
99 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Nefarious undertones, August 22, 2008
Earlier in the book, a scientist states that evolution from sentient beings would stop because they would start caring for the weak. Authors' circular logic about evolution is justified by the characters' stereotypes, 1000 years in the future, cold and heartless Russian, scheming Arabs with lots of money etc.... I found all these stereotypes quite distasteful because the book plows forward as if these were just "given facts" of evolution. Toward the end, the casual attitude the main characters have in controlling alien population was smacking of "Final Solution" which was the actual title of a chapter. Because the main characters had so much money they were discussing things like Planned Parenthood for aliens. Throw in an idiotic love story (as if George Lucas wrote them), I felt like I was reading a high school version of the Nazi's manifesto about World Order and how it must be maintained. Skip this book if you are looking for an insightful look into the future or something resembling reality.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 18, 2013 11:31 PM PDT