Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now STEM
Profile for James Hiller > Reviews

Browse

James Hiller's Profile

Customer Reviews: 635

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

James Hiller RSS Feed (Beaverton, OR)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The General vs. the President: MacArthur and Truman at the Brink of Nuclear War
The General vs. the President: MacArthur and Truman at the Brink of Nuclear War
by H. W. Brands
Price: $22.53

4.0 out of 5 stars Interested in Korea? This is your book..., July 24, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A long time fan of Truman, I was excited to be offered this book from Amazon Vine. After finishing the book, I did enjoy the story but felt like it didn't really cover much new information,

This book is a journey through the complicated relationship between Truman and General Douglas MacArthur. Truman, plain speaking and honest, naturally would have butted heads against the ego and swagger of the general in the field. Brands starts off the story with Truman assuming his presidency after the death of FDR, and MacArthur in the field, commanding the surrender of Japan. You can see the two coming to loggerheads as Truman gains his feet under his presidency and MacArthur stretches his independence a little too much.

Because details of the relationship between the two men have been covered in other books, Brands takes time to flesh out the world events that surrounded these two men, especially in its deep dive of the "police action" in Korea. Sometimes while reading, I felt like that I was reading some filler or extraneous parts just to make the book longer, even if they are directed connected to the story at large he was telling. Fortunately, I didn't always feel like that.

I imagine this would be a great book for dads, or any history buff who enjoys good war stories, and stories from that time.

Underground Airlines
Underground Airlines
by Ben H. Winters
Price: $11.30
71 used & new from $10.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Another title needed, July 24, 2016
This review is from: Underground Airlines (Hardcover)
As I was in my local bookstore, I saw this book prominently displayed and recommended to read. It caught my attention, and then I looked at the title, and nearly passed it by. However, the picture intrigued me enough to pick it up. Boy, I'm glad that I did. Underground Airlines is a book that I really couldn't put down.

The premise of the book is an "alternate history" format, in which slavery wasn't abolished in the 1860s, but protected with Constitutional amendments after a specific national tragedy (that I won't name to avoid spoilers). This is a story that takes place in the present, and Winters manages to modernize the horrors of slavery in ways that made my stomach turn. The story opens with a man trying to enlist a Catholic priest to find his wife still trapped in slavery, and the story quickly spins from there.

This is a twisty, surprising story. Winters manages to tell this story, working in plot twists that I didn't see coming, and always making the reader feel a little unbalanced throughout. Combined with this is a story of racism that is pointed and painful at every turn. I don't want to spoil anything that happens in this story, but this was a compelling, complicated read.

My only real beef with the story is the title. I almost didn't pick it up because of the title. I can't think of a better one, but it just didn't work for me.

I highly recommend this book. It would make an interesting book club read, and it would spark much rich discussion. Highly recommended!

5 Voices: How to Communicate Effectively with Everyone You Lead
5 Voices: How to Communicate Effectively with Everyone You Lead
by Jeremie Kubicek
Price: $14.04
69 used & new from $9.12

3.0 out of 5 stars Just average, July 8, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is one of those books that gives you an "inventory" to take, and then you can read in which voice you best communicate in. I was actually surprised, after taking the inventory, which one I landed in. But honestly, after reading the book last month, I couldn't tell you much about which voice I feature in, nor has it impacted my life much.

The Best Man
The Best Man
by Richard Peck
Price: $9.65

4.0 out of 5 stars Love is love, July 8, 2016
This review is from: The Best Man (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am a big fan of Richard Peck's books, and truly enjoyed this story. Archer is growing up in this story, and in ways that he didn't plan. His loves his Uncle Paul, who happens to love another man that is important in Archer's life. With every page, I was waiting for the "lesson" to drop, or the story to explode. But Peck handles this story sweetly, and gently, without much fanfare or melodrama. I think if you are a teacher wanting to bring up this subject with your students, this would be a book that would spawn some interesting discussions. I probably see this book for fourth grade students on up.

The Mindfulness Edge: How to Rewire Your Brain for Leadership and Personal Excellence Without Adding to Your Schedule
by Matt Tenney
Price: $19.32
65 used & new from $11.58

4.0 out of 5 stars I've enjoyed what I've read so far, July 8, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There has been so much written out there about mindfulness and the importance of it. This is an interesting book because it combined mindfulness with leadership. While I haven't finished the entire book, I've enjoyed what I've read so far. Research has shown that mindfulness has the capacity to rewire the brain for more intuitiveness and insightfulness. If you read the book, and follow the exercise (of which I'm in the middle of), you may find yourself in a different place when it comes to leadership... although anyone who works in a job would benefit from reading this book!

Braun KF7000BK Brew Sense Drip Coffee Maker, Black
Braun KF7000BK Brew Sense Drip Coffee Maker, Black
Price: $69.95
29 used & new from $52.46

5.0 out of 5 stars I really love this coffee maker, July 8, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really love this coffee maker. So easy to use right out of the box, and makes excellent coffee. Highly recommend!

The Discussion Book: 50 Great Ways to Get People Talking
The Discussion Book: 50 Great Ways to Get People Talking
by Stephen D. Brookfield
Price: $16.96
47 used & new from $12.05

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for meetings, get togethers, and other times where people just need to talk..., May 2, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great little book. It is basically filled with protocol and suggestions to make people chat with each other in creative ways. I've seen many of these ideas before, so it's not very novel. However, they are all packed together in a handy spot. I could see leaders, bosses, coaches, and anyone who needs to stand in front of a crowd of people they are leading use some of these ideas. Recommended

Disney Cars Precision Series Flo's V8 Cafe
Disney Cars Precision Series Flo's V8 Cafe
Price: $98.21
21 used & new from $79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop by at Flo's!, April 11, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
What an absolutely amazing toy!

Is your child a fan of Cars? Do you love the milkshakes that you can only get at this establishment in Cars Land at Disney's California Adventure? Then this is the toy for you! A great identical model to the Flo's drive-in, this toy will get lots of use. The lights in Flo's light up, and even will do so at night (by a sensor). Flo comes with this set, and she comes very detailed with lights that light up as well.

Of course, this toy would appeal to the collector and someone wanting to build Radiator Springs in their living room. I cannot recommend this enough!

So of course

The Black Presidency: Barack Obama and the Politics of Race in America
The Black Presidency: Barack Obama and the Politics of Race in America
by Michael Eric Dyson
Price: $18.36
71 used & new from $13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, March 3, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really enjoyed Michael Eric Dyson's look at President Obama through the lens of race.

Before the Fall
Before the Fall
by Noah Hawley
Price: $13.00
128 used & new from $9.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Does Before the Fall Fall?, February 15, 2016
This review is from: Before the Fall (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I so wanted to write a rave review of this book.

The book tells the story of an ill-fated flight, a small private plane taking off from a fogged Martha's Vineyard to New York City. No spoilers here (it's written on the back cover): the flight doesn't make it. What happened to the flight is the driving force of the story. The author ingeniously vacillates between the present, where painter Scott Burroughs manages to break free from the wreck and saves a four year old boot JJ, and the past, in which we learn about the lives of the passenger, hopefully unlocking the mystery to the crash.

The chapters are well plotted, and read quickly, drawing you in immediately. The author crafts an authentic world, a television network modeled on Fox News with a heinous personality to boot, and rich, real lives of the people on the plane, and their survivors. So why the three stars?

At 60% of the book, I would have written a rave review. And then I got to the ending. No spoilers here, but I didn't like it. and felt like the book came to an abrupt halt, ultimately leaving me disappointed.

This is a book with much potential. I imagine it will serve as a great beach read (not so much an airplane read). The author shows much promise, just focus on tuning up those endings.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2016 3:54 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20