Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Water Sports
Profile for Frobisher > Reviews

Browse

Frobisher's Profile

Customer Reviews: 600

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Frobisher "Dave" RSS Feed (New York, NY USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
ScotchBlue Platinum Painter's Tape, 1.41 in. x 45 yd., 1-Roll (2098-36D)
ScotchBlue Platinum Painter's Tape, 1.41 in. x 45 yd., 1-Roll (2098-36D)
Price: $8.98
5 used & new from $7.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice stuff, and tears beautifully, August 26, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Until now, I've only used the traditional 2" wide painter's tape that feels a bit like masking tape, so I can't compare this to other high-end tapes, but here goes:

1) This has a very smooth, slightly plastic feel to it and it's clearly not going to tear or be hard to get off the roll.
2) It does, as they say, tear straight across at 90 degrees, and without any effort.
3) It's 1.4" wide, and that felt a bit narrow to me, as I'm used to the 2" stuff I've been using for decades. For many people this won't be an issue (and many tapes are barely 1" wide now), and I was younger I probably wouldn't care, but my hands aren't as steady and I miss the forgiving nature of the 2" width!
4) This is advertised as creating 'ultra sharp paint lines' and it seems to work well, but I don't notice a difference between this and the stuff I've used for years. However, I'm in a pre-war building with lots of molding and old plaster walls, so I'm not working on a new, really smooth canvas, and can't judge this well. What I can say is that it peels off well even if you let the paint dry, which I do. I know you're supposed to peel the tape off while the paint is still wet, but I like using at least two coats of paint and there's no way I want to have to put the tape on twice.

All in all, this is nice stuff and the price differential isn't much between this and the lesser stuff. Whether it winds up being your favorite, it's hard to see anyone disliking this.

Purell 9620-125ECIN Advanced Hand Sanitizer Singles (125 Count)
Purell 9620-125ECIN Advanced Hand Sanitizer Singles (125 Count)
Price: $17.72

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good implementation of the idea, even though I'll stick with wipes, August 17, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I should start by saying that I don't think I would ever purchase this product, but I'm giving it 4 stars because it's not the fault of the product, as it does what you'd expect very well. I just can't think of a time when I wouldn't rather have single-wrapped wipes than this. Having said that:

1) The pouches are small and well designed (they look much larger in the images to me, but they're about 1.75" by 1.5" wide and nearly flat). You take each edge (as shown on the package) and squeeze them and the pouch sort of snaps open quickly and easily. It's really a single-handed design and there's no futzing with tearing off a little strip. Great execution of the idea.

2) The amount of sanitizer seems just right to me: I'm a tall guy with large hands and I didn't wish for more - the amount generously did my hands.

3) Environmentally, they're not great given the packaging per dollop, but I assume these would be used when even a small bottle of sanitizer would be awkward, which is how I'll use them. I expect them to last a long time, given that there are 125 in the dispenser box.

But, having said that, I personally would rather spend my money on single-pack wipes are they will clean things when a sanitizer won't do and will also sanitize a bit. But if you like the idea of this product, then you'll like it in 'real life'.

Olay Eyes Depuffing Eye Roller massages to Help Reduce Puffiness and Instantly Awaken Tired-Looking Eyes, 0.2 Fl Oz
Price: $24.99
7 used & new from $18.52

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant, but doesn't reduce the puffiness under my eyes, August 17, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm a guy and I don't worry much about my skin (other than washing and using a scrub a couple of times a week) because it seems to be holding up pretty well except for the bags under my eyes, which don't go away after being awake for a while like they used to. When I had a chance to try this I figured why not...

And.... it's a pleasant feeling, as it glides on nicely (there are 3 metal balls at the end) and feels soothing. But for me anyway, it doesn't seem to make any difference in the puffiness of my eyes. I've only been trying it a couple of weeks but given that it talks about instant results, it's not the right thing for me.

Under Armour Men's Charged Cotton 2.0 No Show Socks (8 Pack), X-Large, Assorted
Under Armour Men's Charged Cotton 2.0 No Show Socks (8 Pack), X-Large, Assorted
Price: $21.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value (8 pairs) but the XL are too small, July 28, 2016
First, let me emphasize that the photo is misleading - you really do get 8 pairs of socks, even though the image shows 4. You get 4 white pairs and 4 black pairs. And at a great price.

However, I got the size XL, and they should be fine as they are for size 13 to 16 and I'm a 14, but they are too small. And since I'm an XL I can't size up. They are not so small that I can't wear them, but I can tell (having tried to use not-quite-large-enough socks over many years) that they don't hold up and will probably slide down.

If it weren't for the pricing, I'd have given these a 3 star rating.

DII Oceanique Super Soft Luxury 100% Vinyl Shower Liner, Treated With Anti-Mildew To Resist Germs, Bacteria & Mold, 70x71",Translucent
Price: $6.92

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but not clear (soft focus translucent) and too much for what's not very special, July 21, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I wasn't sure what to expect from his "soft luxury" shower curtain, but I wanted to give it a try to see if it was much different than the clear metal-grommet holes I buy on sale at the low-end linens store for about $3/4. I haven't had it long enough to verify the anti-mildew properties but I've had those types before and they never seem to me to be more so than a plain shower curtain, or not enough that you don't have to treat them the same way you would others. (Incidentally, I have found that spraying white vinegar works wonders and I'm not breathing chemicals. I buy the huge bottles from the big-box stores so it's economical also.)

The material used on this one does have a softer feel than the clear fabric ones, but the downside is that it's not really 'clear', it's more of a softly veiled translucent. Nice enough, but it's not clear and I don't think that they should call it that as it's definitely not.

Also, as I write this amazon is charging about $12 for it and that's too much for what it is.

A Great Reckoning: A Novel (Chief Inspector Gamache Novel)
A Great Reckoning: A Novel (Chief Inspector Gamache Novel)
by Louise Penny
Price: $17.39
43 used & new from $12.31

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, very dark, brings Reginal Hill's Dalziel/Pascoe to mind, July 19, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have read 6 of the Inspector Gamache series, and unlike most people I'm ambivalent about them. Some grab me right away and with at least one ("Bury Your Dead") I had the hardest time getting any traction going. Having said that, Penny is obviously a terrific novelist: her plots are interesting and involved and those characters she opts to develop are thoroughly developed.

This is a terrific book and almost everyone who reads her Gamache series thinks so. That being the case, I'm going to be just a little bit contrarian here: I realize that any author when writing a series has to balance addressing those readers who have read all of the earlier books with new readers, but I'm tired of hearing the same slog through the bowls of coffee and the wafting scent of the bread and the brie cheese at the bistro and being introduced to the same characters in the same way every time. What's annoying to me is that Penny seems to want to introduce her characters as cardboard cutout stereotypes even though you know (after reading a couple of these) that she's going to brilliantly develop them as fully-formed people later. I just wish she didn't always feel compelled to do the same introduction in the same way.

However, these are minor complaints. The only murder writer I can think of who I think was better than penny was Reginald Hill (in his Dalziel/Pascoe series) which I thought was brilliant. What I think he had on Penny is that his books seemed to... 'vary', for lack of a better word, in major ways while still developing the same set of characters across many of them. If you've never read him, and you like Penny, give "On Beulah Height' a shot. It's a huge, dark, police procedural, one of his darkest and one of his best.

[DISCONTINUED] Samsung 16GB BAR USB 3.0 Flash Drive (MUF-16BA/AM)
[DISCONTINUED] Samsung 16GB BAR USB 3.0 Flash Drive (MUF-16BA/AM)
Offered by JF3 Technology
Price: $9.69
7 used & new from $8.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Seem to write very fast, and look and feel great, July 14, 2016
I haven't measured these for speed but they seem to read about normally in USB 3 and to write faster than I expected.

I really like the design with the circular opening so that I can put them on a key chain or something - I really dislike thumb drives with no easy way to attach them to something. Because I bought a number of these at the same time, I needed to tell them apart. My solution to that was to use some very long rubber bands I have that are of many different colors and use different colors. Not only does that easily differentiate them, but because the rubber bands are bright and distinctive, they are harder to lose.

Stanley 31536 Grounded Heavy Duty Appliance Extension Cord, 9-Feet, Gray
Stanley 31536 Grounded Heavy Duty Appliance Extension Cord, 9-Feet, Gray
Price: $13.99
7 used & new from $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just exactly what you'd expect, perhaps a bit heavier than usual, July 14, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not sure what to say about this except that it's exactly what you'd expect it to be, and exactly what it looks like: A heavy-duty 9' power cord.

I was comparing it to others I have and I think it might be just a little bit heavier in build than some of the others, but not enough that if I didn't have them right next to each other I'd notice.

Santamedical Generation 2 SM-165 Fingertip Pulse Oximeter Oximetry Blood Oxygen Saturation Monitor with carrying case, batteries and lanyard
Offered by Oximeter Superstore
Price: $21.95
4 used & new from $21.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, stops quickly when finger removed, feels a little fragile compared to others, July 5, 2016
I have 3 versions of these things from different makers (though I suspect OEM rebranding as a couple of them are so similar). I keep one at the office and 2 at home. and this is my most recent purchase.

This one (like one of my earlier ones) allows the orientation of the display to be changed so that the "bottom" can be any of the four wide or narrow sides of the LED, and rearranges it based on whether you've picked a "wide" or "narrow" orientation.

One thing I've noticed about this one is that it immediately detects removal of a finger and turns off after about 5 seconds. My other ones take perhaps 20 seconds to turn off and I'm guessing that this one will go longer on a set of batteries because of that.

One downside to this one is that it seems more delicate than my two others. It weighs less and the plastic has that brittle feel that suggests that one drop would break it. One of the others I have feels similar but it comes with a nice protective translucent rubber cover. So while I like this one, I think were I to do it all over again I'd get one with that cover, just in case.

Brybelly 50 White Clay Composite Striped Dice 11.5 Gram Poker Chips
Brybelly 50 White Clay Composite Striped Dice 11.5 Gram Poker Chips
Price: $7.99
5 used & new from $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars They feel like very nice quality for the money. I like the clay much better than plastic, July 5, 2016
I really like these. I wanted some chips that I could write numbers on and use in a class to assign students randomly to different groups. So I took a Sharpie and put a "1" on 6 of them, a "2" on another 6 and so on, and they drew them out of a box.

The fact that these are clay and white meant that that worked really well. The Sharpie ink sticks a bit better on clay than plastic, and the fact that they are mainly white made the numbers visible, and gave them a nice heft.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20