Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now
Profile for Glenn R. Howes > Reviews

Browse

Glenn R. Howes' Profile

Customer Reviews: 726

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Glenn R. Howes RSS Feed (Nashua, NH)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Seedling Design your Own Tote Bag
Seedling Design your Own Tote Bag
Price: $39.99
2 used & new from $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Received, August 26, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This was in my crafty nine year old daughter's wheelhouse and she immediately got started making a personalized tote for her new teacher. I'd say she did a nice, if not quite professional job. She had trouble gluing the edges of the fabric samples to the tote, so I don't think her artwork will withstand much abuse. But she had fun, and was quickly able to make an attractive personalization on the tote.

There is quite a lot of excess material, so I might go down to Michael's and get another $5 tote for her to use with it.

Quite a nice and quick crafting project.

Belkin Lightning to USB ChargeSync Cable for iPhone 6S / 6S Plus, iPhone 6 / 6 Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 5 / 5S / 5c, iPad Pro, iPad 4th Gen, iPad Air 2, iPad Air, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 2 and iPad mini, 6 Inches (Red)
Price: Click here to see our price
4 used & new from $17.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but Works, August 26, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This seems like an OK product, and it being an official Made for iOS product means something to me in terms of having confidence to insert it in my expensive devices.

However, it seems cheaply made. If you compare it to an Apple charging cable, you will see that the strain relief collar is rigid, where the Apple one has give and puts less stress at a point along the cord so I worry if it will wear well.

It does work OK and I have no problems using it with my iPhone 5S.

Campbell Hausfeld Quiet Air Compressor, 8 Gallon, Half the Noise, All the Power (DC080500)
Offered by CPO Outlets
Price: $244.79
2 used & new from $199.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes, It is Quieter, August 24, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've had an Hitachi pancake style compressor for several years, and for whatever reason it is ridiculously noisy, and I dread using it. I just measured it and at 6 feet, it puts out 86dB, which again, is really loud. So, I was happy to take a chance on this supposedly quieter compressor. And yes, it is obviously quieter, my decibel meter put it at around 74dB at 6 feet, so in terms of actual power to the ear, there is a huge difference. Still loudish, but acceptable.

As for being a compressor, it is OK. As other reviewers have pointed out. it doesn't have a large enough flow capacity for heavy duty work, which is OK, because I don't do heavy duty work, and the largish tank compensates somewhat for it. The controls are simple. For some odd reason, the input and output gauges are on opposite ends of the motor, so you can't see them simultaneously. The condensate drainage valve is basic but reasonably easy to reach.

I don't care for the wheels or the lack of instructions for installing the wheels. I could very easily have put the nuts in the wrong place. But, I do like having wheels after years of lugging that Hitachi out to the driveway to top-off the car tires.

Anyway, being quieter is a great thing.

Kreg KBC3-SYS Automaxx Bench System
Kreg KBC3-SYS Automaxx Bench System
Price: $64.88
2 used & new from $46.99

4.0 out of 5 stars If You Need It It Will Serve You Well, August 19, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In all my years of reviewing consumer products here on Amazon, I have never seen such a product that need such a large amount of "some installation required." If you are not exactly sure that you need this clamp on your workbench, and that you have the appropriate tools to install it, then you do not need this product.

For someone experienced in using a plunge router to route a simple rectangular template, then installation is a piece of cake. Even I, who has basically no experience with using fluted bits and plunge routers was able to make a template by cutting the appropriately sized hole in a piece of quarter inch scrap using a jigsaw (the included instructions recommend making a template from 4 individual pieces of wood held together with pocket screws) and then using the template to route out the cavity for the base plate. I just used a quarter inch fluted bit and the appropriately sized bushing to act as a guide. Given my inexperience, this went reasonably well, although my jigsaw skills could be improved. Then I just used a large drill bit to rough out the channel for the locking screw. Again, this went reasonably well.

There are 4 wood screws provided for holding the mounting plate in place, strangely they come with square bit heads, so you will have to have the appropriate square bit on hand, or use different screws.

As for actual operation, it works quite well at holding flat stock in place as long as it isn't very thick. For example, it would have been really good at holding down my template to make its mounting cavity, but I don't think I could hold down a 2x4. Sort of a Catch-22 there. I happen to own a less specialized Kreg clamp I bought at Lowe's and it is easily my favorite clamp. What can I say, they make good clamps.

Belkin QODE Ultimate Lite Keyboard Case for iPad Pro 9.7-inch (Black)
Belkin QODE Ultimate Lite Keyboard Case for iPad Pro 9.7-inch (Black)
Price: $99.99
4 used & new from $89.09

5.0 out of 5 stars An Improvement on the Bluetooth iPad Keyboard Case, August 19, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am usually disappointed in iPad keyboard cases, as such. I usually get them for review with the aim of eventually using them as Apple TV remotes. And my previous Belkin case was no better than most. However, time and progress advance, and I have a lot of good things to say about this case.

The most noticeable improvement I can see with my iPad Air 2 is that the Bluetooth turns on immediately. Every other mobile Bluetooth device I've ever used takes a couple button presses to wake up and get going. This one wakes up right away whether by magic or some advancement of the Bluetooth spec. Which makes a big difference.

Surprisingly, my kids have been very positive about this case. I had been keeping the Air 2 in a non-keyboard case (a quite nice Otterbox) thinking the kids weren't using the keyboard, but they went out of their way to praise this case to me, saying they loved how rigidly it keeps the screen upright and how nice it is to have a proper keyboard.

Typing is good enough for the category of iPad keyboard cases, with a decent key travel and adequate, if not luxurious key size and spacing. The various function keys are useful and represent a wide spectrum of iOS specific shortcuts, such as the show/hide virtual keyboard key. I occasionally mis-hit and get a spurious return key, but in general, I can type at nearly my normal speed. And of course, no mobile keyboard compares to the beautiful Das Keyboard with mechanical keys on my desktop.

I'm a bit surprised that this is a Bluetooth keyboard, given that the iPad Pro has a dedicated set of keyboard connectors, but the fast connecting Bluetooth seems an adequate substitute (I don't have an iPad Pro to test). Regardless, it fits my Air 2 well with good access to the volume controls and OK access to the wake button.

Well done, and I may not be turning this into an Apple TV remote anytime soon.

IZOD Men's Striped Essential Woven Shirt, American Dream, Medium
IZOD Men's Striped Essential Woven Shirt, American Dream, Medium
Price: $20.54
4 used & new from $14.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Extra Nice Fabric, August 15, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been reviewing several of these IZOD long sleeve shirts and the results have been uneven, with my rating the shirts between 3 and 5 stars. Some have had loose stitching, some have had insubstantial cloth; and some have been good. Of the lot, this is my favorite, mainly because of the touchability of the cloth, which has a comparatively premium feel and a classic thin striping.

Stitching is almost perfect, with only a couple loose threads, and the buttons are firmly attached. So, I would say this is a good choice for day-to-day office attire.

IZOD Men's Long Sleeve Essential Tattersal Shirt, American Dream, Medium
IZOD Men's Long Sleeve Essential Tattersal Shirt, American Dream, Medium
Price: $32.78
2 used & new from $27.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Adequate Office Attire, August 9, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've tried several medium IZOD shirts and while they do vary in quality, in general they are somewhat better than average in materials, design and assembly. So, nothing luxurious, but good enough for the office.

This particular shirt is a nice office shirt, not too wrinkly, reasonably well stitched, although the buttons could be attached better. I like the single pocket design as I can keep my phone there.

Just a pleasant lightweight shirt.

IZOD Men's Long Sleeve Essential Solid Shirt, American Dream, Medium
IZOD Men's Long Sleeve Essential Solid Shirt, American Dream, Medium
Price: $29.97
3 used & new from $24.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Several Issues, August 8, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been trying out a selection of these shirts from iZod, and while in general I like them, this particular one is substandard.

My complaints are: the sewing is not great, in particular the buttons feel loose, but there are loose threads. The fabric is poor, extremely wrinkly and a bit scratchy. And the sleeves are a tad short for a medium.

I like the classic design and the color, but you can get those in many competing products.

Stanley 31119 CordMax9 LP Polarized Low Profile 3-Outlet Indoor Extension Cord, 9-Feet, Black
Price: $10.57

3.0 out of 5 stars Minimum Viable Extension Cord, August 6, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'd say this is an OK, if limited, extension cord for a specific task, such as extending an outlet to a floor lamp where low currents are expected. However, I'd normally prefer to stock my house with heavier gauge wires with ground wires, as I just know that there'll come a day when I'll want to plug in a 3 prong plug and will realize that I can't use this one, or want to plug in a space heater and wonder why the wire is so warm. That's why I've a liking for heavy air conditioner extension cords even if they only come with 1 socket. If I want to plug in many things, I go with a power strip.

If the limitations are OK with you, this is an adequate, if cheaply made, cord. It has one interesting feature in that 2 of the sockets can be simultaneously shuttered to protect against contamination when not in use.

IZOD Men's Long Sleeve Essential Check Button Down Woven Shirt, American Dream, Medium
Price: $32.78
2 used & new from $27.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Nice, Slightly Small Shirt, August 1, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is an attractive, well made shirt appropriate for looking sharp at the office. Washing did no damage and I wore it unironed without complaint. While I might be on the high side of medium sizing, it still seems a bit smaller than expected and tends to bind.

Regardless, I like the material and how it looks, so it'll be going into my winter rotation.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20