Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now
Profile for Janey > Reviews

Browse

Janey's Profile

Customer Reviews: 23

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Janey RSS Feed (Maineville, OH USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Bobby Rydell: Teen Idol On The Rocks: A Tale of Second Chances
Bobby Rydell: Teen Idol On The Rocks: A Tale of Second Chances
by Bobby Rydell
Price: $14.40
29 used & new from $9.93

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved his moves, May 18, 2016
Bobby Rydell was my first teen-age idol. I loved his moves, his voice, his songs, and his hair. But when I finished Teen Idol on the Rocks, I realized that I had never thought of Bobby Rydell as a person. This book made a huge difference in the way I see Bobby because now he is real to me. I loved finding out what happened to him during the in-between years after I grew up and was busy with my own family. I loved "hearing" his speaking voice on the pages. I was fascinated by his life in Philadelphia, details from his long career, and his health and medical struggles. I read this book in one afternoon, thrilled to have found my autographed copy that morning in my mailbox. It was a great read. I saw Bobby years ago in Dick Clark's Caravan of Stars. If he had spoken to me, I might have fainted back then, but now Bobby is someone I hope to meet one day.

Orphan X: A Novel (Evan Smoak)
Orphan X: A Novel (Evan Smoak)
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, March 2, 2016
I loved Orphan X. I've read other books by Gregg Hurwitz and enjoyed them, but this one is outstanding. His writing is superb, and his research shows. The dialog has the ring of truth and at the same time is original. I had a hard time putting this book down, and I look forward to the next one.

The Ultimatum: A Jeremy Fisk Novel (Jeremy Fisk Novels Book 3)
The Ultimatum: A Jeremy Fisk Novel (Jeremy Fisk Novels Book 3)
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $9.99

2.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimatum was a disappointment for me because of Wolf's heavy use of technical ..., January 29, 2016
I think Dick Wolf is a genius, and after reading his first two Jeremy Fisk novels I was eager to read the third. The Ultimatum was a disappointment for me because of Wolf's heavy use of technical terms and acronyms. Besides throwing in the terms and initials, he had to stop and explain each one, so the first half of the book was short on story. Who was he writing for? It was as though he was showing off, but why? Also, there were so many boring meetings described in this book that I felt I was sitting through them with Fisk. I hoped he would get up and leave. Please, Mr. Wolf, cut back on the jargon next time and focus on your story and characters.

Riding on Comets: A Memoir
Riding on Comets: A Memoir
by Cat Pleska
Price: $16.99
44 used & new from $5.41

5.0 out of 5 stars ... Comets is the result of a twenty-year labor of love, and that is evident from the first page, September 14, 2015
Riding on Comets is the result of a twenty-year labor of love, and that is evident from the first page. I read it in an afternoon. Even if I hadn't been an almost-neighbor to Cat Pleska (having lived in the same state, West Virginia) I would be telling you that her memoir has a unique and delicious flavor conveyed through language, is a treasure chest of sensory details, evokes the reader's own memories, and builds nicely from chapter to chapter as the little girl grows up. Pleska has said the book is like a series of television episodes about her and her family. You will want to tune in.

Legging It
Legging It
by Craig Clapper
Price: $3.62
32 used & new from $3.62

3.0 out of 5 stars Legging It is well written, and I am open ..., February 5, 2015
This review is from: Legging It (Paperback)
Legging It is well written, and I am open to spiritual topics, but this book was not for me: Because I'm planning a thru-hike, I wanted more information about the author's time on the AT. I hoped I would find it among the inspirational thoughts he shared, but I ended up skipping those lessons and skimming for details of the actual hike. The book makes its points well and may be just right for other readers. I would just say be prepared for a more general approach to the Appalachian Trail than you'll find in other accounts.

Footpath My Ass!: And Other Keen Observations Made by a Middle-aged Woman Hiking the Appalachian Trail
by Theresa Croteau
Price: $19.99
52 used & new from $10.93

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, January 5, 2015
I loved this book. Yes, it was full of spelling and punctuation errors, but as I read they stopped jumping off the page at me (a miracle, because I'm an editor) as the story became more important. This book was particularly meaningful because I am a female beyond middle age who is planning to hike the AT in 2015. The format (daily journal entries) as well as details regarding mileage and stopping points worked for me. I've read many books about the AT, yet I found tips in Footpath My Ass! that were new. I liked Bluebird's honesty and sense of humor as she met the challenges of the trail, and her drawings are beautiful.

Words I Choose to Live by
Words I Choose to Live by
by Cyrus Webb
Price: $12.99
11 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars ... to Live By is written in a simple but brilliant format: a year’s worth of brief inspirational thoughts ..., December 31, 2014
Words I choose to Live By is written in a simple but brilliant format: a year’s worth of brief inspirational thoughts broken down for daily and weekly use. The book is a keeper because the readings can be used again and again. They reflect and reinforce Cyrus Webb’s philosophy of life, which by my interpretation is that through our choices we can become our best selves and uplift one another.

This book is a special gift to those who have suffered low self-esteem, as every entry is written to show us that we are cherished and deserving human beings. We can find our potential daily on its pages. We can know every day that we are valued and loved.

Moon Kissed (LaRue Book 1)
Moon Kissed (LaRue Book 1)
Price: $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars which contained enough warring factions to last me a good long while, December 1, 2014
I bought this book (Kindle edition) because of all the 5-star reviews, which I totally believe. I finished it in just a few hours, thinking all the while of the Twilight series. I read all four Twilight books and saw all the movies, which contained enough warring factions to last me a good long while. Moon Kissed was just too similar for me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2015 8:05 AM PDT

DEADRISE (The Ben Blackshaw Series Book 1)
DEADRISE (The Ben Blackshaw Series Book 1)
by Robert Blake Whitehill
Price: $13.93
49 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Whitehill's relentless use of detail enhances what is already a good story. The plot moves and the characters are ..., November 23, 2014
As a writer, I am always asking myself what makes a book compelling. What makes it hard to put down? Robert Whitehill is an extraordinary novelist. His research for Deadrise is obvious. In his hands the setting comes alive. I found myself looking on the Internet for some of the places described in the book, and I found them. Whitehill's relentless use of detail enhances what is already a good story. The plot moves and the characters are complex. This novel is more grounded in reality than many I've read but still beyond my experience, so I was challenged by some of the terminology and would have loved a bit more definition.

The Widow File (A Dani Britton Thriller)
The Widow File (A Dani Britton Thriller)
by S.G. Redling
Price: $8.67
53 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Just wow. I could not put this ..., July 8, 2014
Wow! Just wow. I could not put this book down, and that was true from the start. The "hook" that began The Widow File went on and on. I was mesmerized by the story, the writing, the authenticity, and S. G. Redling's ability to keep me riveted to the page. Do yourself a favor and read this one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3